• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Microbes Control The Weather?!

rynner2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
UK scientists are investigating whether airborne microbes have evolved to control the weather for their own survival.

CNN story here
Link is dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the text of the MIA news item ...
Bugs may control weather: Study

May 31, 2002 Posted: 6:00 AM EDT (1000 GMT)

British scientists have launched a study to find out if airborne bugs in clouds control the Earth's weather.

Scientists believe certain bug species may have evolved the ability to manipulate the weather in order to secure their own survival.

A team of microbiologists from the University of East London (UEL) are examining if the microbes play an active role in the formation of clouds and making it rain.

Using a revolutionary "cyclonic cloud catcher", the team, led by Dr Bruce Moffett, will collect samples of cloud water from aircraft and on uplands across the UK.

These samples will then be analysed to discover the composition and activity of any microbes present.

Preliminary analysis of samples already taken from low-lying cumulus clouds near Oxford has shown the presence of micro-organisms, including ammonia-oxidising bacteria.

The 18-month pilot project, funded by a $190,000 (£130,000) grant from the Natural Environment Research Council, aims to test the theory that a self-sustaining ecosystem exists in clouds and that bacteria and algae play a key role in creating clouds and triggering rainfall.

Until now scientists have been unable to accurately detect, identify and analyse microbial communities in harsh conditions.

Dr Moffett said: "We are looking for evidence that microbial metabolism could have a major influence on patterns of climate and weather today.

"A really exciting possibility is that microbes have evolved ways of triggering cloud formation and rainfall to facilitate their own dispersal and reproduction, in other words, they could be controlling the weather."

The research could prove significant in medical and biotechnology fields, with the possibility that some of the microbes discovered may have natural screening against ultra violet rays or processes to neutralise greenhouse gases.

The study will also help scientists understand the movement of airborne pathogens such as those which spread foot-and-mouth disease among cattle.

SALVAGED FROM THE WAYBACK MACHINE:

https://web.archive.org/web/2004081...om/2002/WEATHER/05/27/bugs.weather/index.html

It's their fault we have global climate change!

I would say that these microbes likely have a local influence on whether vs their outright controlling the weather.Weather is a very complex mechanism and is affected by many factors, i.e.: solar radiation, the Earth's tilt, orbital distance from the sun, temperature, air pressure,etc.

It's their fault we have global climate change!
Conversely, they are doing a terrible job of controlling the weather.

If they were capable of influencing the weather, they would have a strong built in incentive to keep the weather the same over time due to their untold generations of evolution to fit the existing conditions.

If they were capable of influencing the weather, they would have a strong built in incentive to keep the weather the same over time due to their untold generations of evolution to fit the existing conditions.

Yes, but their capacity to evolve is way quicker than ours, given that many microbes have multiple generations across 24 hours! ;)

Yes, but their capacity to evolve is way quicker than ours, given that many microbes have multiple generations across 24 hours! ;)
Clearly you have never heard of CRISPR. LINK It will give the bugs a run for their money, as we can direct the change productively while evolution isn't always that effective. The fact is, with the correct tweak you can get a species to specialize itself into extinction.

Clearly you have never heard of CRISPR

Weeeelllllll, considering I was using CRISPR-treated cells to test the inhibition of cellular metabolism in order to circumvent bacterial hijacking of said cellular metabolism, I reckon I might have heard of it. It beat the morpholinos...

Weeeelllllll, considering I was using CRISPR-treated cells to test the inhibition of cellular metabolism in order to circumvent bacterial hijacking of said cellular metabolism, I reckon I might have heard of it. It beat the morpholinos...
Fair enough, I thought it unlikely that you wouldn't. I think Crispr might have a bit of an edge over your old school rando evolution, just sayin'.

Back