• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do Out of Body Experiences Really Exist?

DelphisBorn

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
While I am aware that there is another thread of similar topic, I would prefer this thread to go deeper into the issues of the problems and evasions of these experiences, to try to unpack what they really are.

Do out of body experiences really exist?
The answer seems obvious.

But if there’s one thing I’ve learned in years of looking into the subject (including years of trying to induce these in myself) it's that what appears obvious is not.

Of course in one sense they are real. People have the experience of leaving their bodies. But what I mean is, do they really leave their bodies? Or, more precisely, do they really see things which they could not have seen or known from their vantage or condition.

Now we all know the stories, but the problem is this. One has to rely on story in order to support the idea that this really happens. Unfortunately, it has been tried, a number of times to move from story or anecdote or self report to an investigation of whether this is actually possible, and (with pretty much one exception, itself something of an anomaly) it is consistently found that nothing clairvoyant is seen.

I personally believe that there may be something to it, but notice the terms I am forced to: “I personally believe”. If this were simply a matter of watching a scene unfold from a hidden vantage, then any of the world’s (self-reporting) OOBE adepts should be able to deliver within, say, a week (or at most two). The market is not thin with self-reported books by such “adepts” claiming all sorts of extraordinary perceptions and mega-clairvoyant happenings, all of which vanish without trace when we try to do a simple experiment, such as identify an object sitting on a mantle.

It can seem very tempting to say “we just haven’t got lucky yet”, but given that this problem is endemic across all things “paranormal”, I don’t feel this gets to the bottom of it.

What is undoubtedly the case, whatever else may or may not be true, is that many people are making up these stories. Since Medieval mystics and beyond, consciously or unconsciously, claiming unusual powers has always been a way to bask in a sense of “specialness”. I can’t imagine that any discerning person who has ever read a fair number of these stories, or who has ever spent time on any internet forum where such things tend to be discussed, can have failed to notice this Walter Mitty element. My point though, is that this element is not marginal. Rather, it seems to be an integral part of whatever this is. The conscious or unconscious trend to fabulate and blather seems to be an irreducible part of these phenomena and their story-vehicles.

In many ways, these experiences can be seen as social texts that bargain for a kind of attention, specialness, and self-worth on the part of their originators. That is to say, they serve an identifiable psychological function. Not in every case, or at least not seemingly so.

Does this describe the whole situation? Probably not, but then again it is such a neglected and IMPORTANT dimension of the whole situation, that to discuss “out of body experiences” without discussing it, is in effect not to discuss them at all.

Are there cases where innocents have really seen things that they couldn’t have seen? Well, this is the $64 question. If the psyche itself has a tricksterish determination in hatching these stories from the unconscious, are any of us really “innocents”? What I mean by this, is that outside of a carefully constrained experimental context, it is impossible to reconstruct the information flow in any given anecdote with certainty, whether of OOBE or NDE variety. Add to this the fact that there are various levels of arousal which the digital impression of conscious or unconscious, as if it were a light switch, fails to capture.

However, even if we DO assume that there are innocents who perceive things clearly from out of body, there is the further problem of what it is they perceive. One NDEr, for example, was breathtakingly certain that she was out of body, floating near the ceiling, watching the doctors work on her body. There’s just one problem: the surgical team was divided down the middle, as was the operating table, into personnel dressed in green on one side, who represented “life” and others dressed in white on the opposite side, who represented "death". Another person looked down on the battlefield where a mine exploded very near their position, saw his body beneath him on the sand….but failed to see his buddy who in reality was blown to bits by the mine and the parts strewn across his back.

So whatever is going on here it is not a matter of simple perception, but of elaborated imagination. The scene seems to be built from a faculty of imaginal construction, based around memories and guesswork, sometimes wrong. I do not mean to imply that clairvoyant vision (i.e imaginal construction which happens to report real data) is impossible in this context, only that if it is there, there is a larger question to deal with before we are even likely to answer that, which is why does this phenomenon embed themselves in inaccessible story and ambiguous fable like a flea in dog fur?

You did say that it's ok for me to discuss the matter away from my own thread, so, in my own simple view, here's my opinion on why they experience can never be reproduced in a scientific environment:

Because it happens to all of us, as human beings, at the moment of our death. The people who are able to talk about such a thing are the lucky ones, mainly because they happened to escape death on that day, but also because they are then in the unusual position of being able to relate the experience. I don't think the urgency of a person's imminent death can be re-created.

So what they are describing is, as has already been said, the process of the dying brain. So all that a brain could do, in the right conditions, is pretty amazing. And does our brain only do these things in those particular circumstances, or does it do it all the time, but we just don't notice - because our normal processes - and all of what we are as humans -memory, dreams, associations, instinct - are milder and less urgent?

I don't think it takes a special person to have such an experience. I can remember saying to the people around me on the day - "look, I'm just an ordinary person - you shouldn't be seeing me like this"

I was a bit embarrassed actually

But it's no wonder, from the beginning of civilisation, humans have attempted to describe such a thing - and have attached a mystical air to such things. And it's no wonder too that it's embedded in so much literature, art and film and music. It's what makes us human. We describe our own experiences all the time

IMHO

Hello Tracy,

it's not for me to say where you post and don't post on this forum.

To come to your point, the issue is that people *do* claim to be able to do this all the time. Simply look at any of the books of the "adepts", which have a tendency to describe colorful events in a range of dimensions (supposedly) as well as a healthy sprinkling of almost irrefutable evidence. There's just a huge disconnect between that and what is actually observed when you try to run an experiment.

Robert Monroe, one of the most famous OOBE adepts, describes all sorts of colorful events in his books. Yet when he was tested, he saw the experimenter doing imaginary things, couldn't describe the surroundings properly, and got the number of people in the room completely wrong. This is, unfortunately, all too typical.

Yes, it makes one wonder why they go through all the bother of describing it.

I'm not familiar with Robert Monroe and have read very few accounts of this type of event (so far).

As you've said before, the experiencer seems to believe in what they've seen,even if some of the facts don't match up. But also, as you've said before, this is what makes the search difficult.

If one fact is wrong, are they all wrong - and the other way round?. Did the experience not occur because of these details? It does make the whole event, and the experiencer, seem very unreliable.

Tracy, it's not just a dying brain that produces NDEs (in fact many are far from clinical death that report them). Now, I would say that it's probably the biological perception (expectation) of dying that is the primary trigger. However, modern research is demonstrating NDE/OOBE in right temporal lobe stimulation and some other unique approaches (though these might not be as 'profound' as dying brain etc.)

So the fear would have to be huge, to force the mind/brain into this kind of state - like a massive panic attack?. I've got no knowledge of these matters (as you will have guessed) only the experience I have attempted to relate.

To me it felt as if I had crossed some kind of boundary, where I needed ALL my reserves, things I didn't really know I had (but which felt very natural at the same time). I really did feel as if I was in immense danger, which is wht got me sitting up on the trolley moments after I had been wheeled out of the theatre.

Back