• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You Believe? - A Ghostly Gallery

WhistlingJack

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Interesting exhibition of 'ghost' photographs at the American Museum of Photography - here.

GALLUP: ONE IN THREE AMERICANS BELIEVES IN GHOSTS...

Great Caesar's Ghost! Gallup finds 1 in 3 Americans Believe Houses Can Be Haunted
Published: July 12, 2005 1:15 PM ET

NEW YORK Gallup reports today that its latest poll found that one in three Americans “believe in ghosts.” The numbers: 32% of all adults say they believe that “ghosts/spirits of dead people can come back,” while 48% do not, and 19% are unsure.

An even larger number of Americans believe that houses can be haunted, with 37% holding that position, 46% saying no, and 16% not sure.

There's an ideological twist, with 42% of liberals saying they believe in ghosts--but only 25% of conservatives and 35% of moderates saying this.

Belief in ghosts declines with age, with 45 of those 18 to 29 sticking to that, while only 22% of those 65 and over holding that view.

The poll was based on interviews with 1,002 adults, with a plus or minus 3% sampling error.

source http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp ... 1000977598

I've always found old pictures like this one to be very clever in how the dead are represented, and if they weren't so easily faked would be a fantastic piece of evidence to prove the existence of ghosts.

Anyway, back to work....

WhistlingJack said:
Interesting exhibition of 'ghost' photographs at the American Museum of Photography - here.

Where is the vanishing Lamplighter on that gallery? Is the little kid supposed to be him?

MaxMolyneux said:
WhistlingJack said:

Where is the vanishing Lamplighter on that gallery? Is the little kid supposed to be him?

They are the transparent figure up a solid ladder (how does that work??) apparently attending to the apparently solid lamp to the left of the coach and horses.

Oh yeah I notice now.

Some of look very 3-d looking though.

My home town of Crewe was famous for many years as a hotbed of Spiritualism. :D

There were of course 'spirit' photographs, courtesy of Mr William Hope.

http://www.prairieghosts.com/hope.html

I'd love to do some research on him, I bet the local Spiri church has some fascinating archives. ;)

Great link, thank you! 8)

Yeah, that's good! Nice that they've annotated the pictures to point out interesting aspects of them.

Back