• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You Believe In Astrology?

Do you believe in astrology, and are you male or female?

• Yes I believe in astrolgy and am male.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Yes I believe in astrology and am female.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I am undecided about astrology and am male.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I am undecided about astrology and am female.

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • I do not believe in astrology and am male.

Votes: 39 60.0%
  • I do not believe in astrology and am female.

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
In the general "western" astrology, I'm an Aries (ram) - baahh...
In Chinese astrology, I'm a sheep - baahh...

Is this why I feel the need to bleat? ;)

J.

They are all a bit out of date, aren't they? If I was born on the 23rd of August, what does that make me? Crab, Lion or Virgin (snort)?

Been thinking about this one today. Leaving aside the three liners you get above the daily crossword, what about the more detailed charts based upon birthdate and place .etc.? A friend of mine did one for me some time ago, purely out of curiosity, and then looked at it subjectively. I took each statement and rated it as either "true" "false" or "too general", and in totting up the answers it came out as 21/25 were "true". Now I was pretty careful to avoid the things that could apply to most people, I'm no fool (I think) but I was taken aback by the accuracy of it. Is there some factor at work here, or are all of us humans really much more alike than we think? After all, we have the same basic drives, and when we have a problem we tend to think we're the only one going through it or to a feel a certain way. We're masters of building the wall around ourselves such that we're nearly always very different on the outside, but maybe within we're very alike.
On the other hand lets kick around some ideas - why could people born in a certain time of year possess certain traits? Beakboo mentioned the "seasonal disease during pregnancy" hypothesis, which is an intriguing one, though if this phenomenon (assuming there is one) is a seasonal one, wouldn't things be turned on their head for people born in the Southern hemisphere? Or can tiny gravitational effects occur at the quantum level? Blasts of cyclic cosmic particles/solar winds?
And who first thought of this stuff in the first place? Surely it was based on some kind of theory based on observation.....?

The Poll

The poll doesn`t allow enough subtle variation in belief.

I certainly don`t think that the same "future" can be predicted for a job-lot of one twelth of the population at any one time.

BUT regarding personality traits, I`m an Aquarian, and I definitely have a "rapport " with other Aquarians and also with Geminians (as the astrologers maintain.) (And I tend to find Pisces people irritating).
Then again I`m talking single figures among friends, family and aquaintances, so I probably shouldn`t be making such sweeping generalisations!

MsT (f)

I'm a Gemini/Rat, and most of my friends and family are Geminis, Scorpios or Virgos. I don't know anyone born in February, March, April or July, and only one person in January, May and August. How weird. Do any of you tend to fray with people of specific signs?

And I've just realised that a lot of the people I work with are Sagittarius - are they supposed to be attracted to art-related jobs?

Don't really believe in them, but I do read them, and occasionally recognise a trait of mine. Geminis are supposed to have a boyish figure and be great entertainers, though - way not me!

Although I don't give much credence to astrology at all, i do have several major traits that Sagittarians are supposed to have:
Philosophical outlook
Open mindedness
Intelligence (hark at her cutting herself a slice!)
Seeing the bigger picture rather than the detail
Particular hatred of injustice
Love of the great outdoors
Oddball sense of humour, and quick with the one liners.
Don't get on with rigid Capricorn-type people
Tactless
Honest to a rediculous and embarrassing degree. If you ask me "does this dress make my bum look big?" I'll say no, it is quite big,
Animal lover.
But I am not:
Sporty and strong (even when I was healthy, I was never healthy)
Horsey (they scare the bejasus out of me)
It's hard to be objective with your own character, but given that list, am I an accurate Sagittarian or not?
My sister, born same day different year, is unlike me in every way, apart from the tactless bit.

beakboo said:
Open mindedness
------
Tactless
Honest to a rediculous and embarrassing degree.
Animal lover.
I would say the above apply to me too - but I'm not Sagittarean!

Though I'm a completely different star sign (Scorpio) I would recognise (or would hope to recognise ;) ) a number of the Sagittarian traits in myself.

There was a wonderful study carried out some time ago (can't remember details or a reference) where people were presented with a description based on Capricorn, Sagittarius, etc, and a generic "Barnum" description (a list of good points and "bad" points that could be seen as "good", e.g "stubborness.") Even though the astrological one was tailored to the persons "star sign" and the Barnum one was the same for every individual in the study, the majority felt that the Barnum one fitted them far better than the astrological one. :)

well, im a cancer/pig and my sister is also cancer but i think she maybe a rat in the chinese zodiac.

an i have to say that my three closet (sp) friends are all taurus's, an all their birthdays are all a couple of days apart from each other..(its a bitch when it comes to buying birthday presents!)

now, im not sure this will count as much..but when im online i seem to have this nack for ending up talking to either other cancer's or gemini's...

and out of the traits that most cancerians are ment to have i pretty much fit them all..

i do believe that astrology works, but i think the hororscopes you get in magizines probally just get pulled out of a hat!

When we had a shop we hacked an astrology program off the 'net and printed horoscopes off for people. Hidden in each detailed analysis was a bizarre pro-cannabis tract which we failed to notice at the time.

Legalize cannabis! Taureans know it makes sense!

no

I too used to be a fake astrologer. I found it supplemented my income when i wasn't smuggling potatoes and running a used-carpet scam that ended badly.

The problem was I occasionally got the predictions spot on by sheer co-incidence and the silly sods kept coming back demanding more info (my scam was designed to fleece them on the first encounter for $4.45 and then get the hell out).

The whole affair ended when I refused to update an elderly lady who proclaimed i was a prophet. Apparently the week before she had asked me why her grandson was not doing so well at his university studies. I told her he was too busy stealing cars and grappling with the fact that he may be gay. It turned out I was spot on (or so she seemed to think, enough to leave him out of the will, in any case) and demanded to know more, whichI refused. She reported me on the grounds of not serving her, due to my prejudice against her age and gender. Anyhow, to cut a long story short, after the usual insults and blows were exchanged I apologised to the police officer, refunded her money and scarpered sharpish.

Do I believe in astrology? I don't really know. A friend of mine is pretty dedicated and swears by it. He has a pretty big telescope on his back porch and seems pretty into it all. The numbers going into the planetarium are usually impressive and I once overheard a group coming out of the planetarium giggling and repeating the words "good skunk, man", which may be some form of astrological litany they do in there.

I never heard of astrologers using a telescope or a planetarium before! There may not have been much difference between astrologers and astronomers 400 years ago, but there is now!

IIRC the constellations used in astrology are only pretend ones anyway. Effectively they've all shifted round by one house. (I also vaguely recall that the planets are a bit iffy as well.)

Finally, the great unanswered question is "what star sign does someone have if they were born north of the arctic circle?"

Fortis said:
IIRC the constellations used in astrology are only pretend ones anyway. Effectively they've all shifted round by one house. (I also vaguely recall that the planets are a bit iffy as well.)

Finally, the great unanswered question is "what star sign does someone have if they were born north of the arctic circle?"
They have the same Sun sign as if they were born south of the Arctic Circle, but what the rising sign is, and what house the Sun gets placed in, is debatable (at best).
As for the chestnut about the constellations having shifted, that's perfectly true. However, Western astrology uses equally-spaced hypothetical divisions of the sky, and start the Zodiac at the same O degrees Aries point that astronomers use. Only Vedic (Indian) astrology still uses the "real" constellations.
Dunnom what you mean by "iffy planets" though.

beakboo said:
Although I don't give much credence to astrology at all, i do have several major traits that Sagittarians are supposed to have:
Philosophical outlook
Open mindedness
Don't get on with rigid Capricorn-type people
Tactless
Animal lover.
But I am not:
Sporty and strong (even when I was healthy, I was never healthy)
Horsey (they scare the bejasus out of me)
~I also find that saggitarius stuff applies to me well (and I'm a saggitarius too which fits even better)
but also i am not sporty and strong, and also i am terrified of horsies

Annasdottir said:
As for the chestnut about the constellations having shifted, that's perfectly true. However, Western astrology uses equally-spaced hypothetical divisions of the sky, and start the Zodiac at the same O degrees Aries point that astronomers use. Only Vedic (Indian) astrology still uses the "real" constellations.
Dunnom what you mean by "iffy planets" though.

I have a vague memory about there being an issue with the planets, but what it is (or even if I dreamt it ;) ) is something that I can't recall myself, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Can anyone say why Western astorogy went the route that it has, w.r.t. things such as the use of the first point of Aries, etc.

It's a pretty long story, but it probably started back in about 2000BC, when the Spring Equinox sun rose in the constellation of Aries - "0 degrees Aries" is the name of the point in the sky at which this happens (whatever the constelllation happens to be, it's just a hypothetical point) and, due to precession, this point has been slowly shifting since.
Not sure why western astrology stuck to the hypothetical point, whilst Indian astrology continued following the constellations - probably something to do with the strong links between astrology and astronomy in the West up until the 17th C or so.

Anyway, haven't got time for fuller explanations - I'm going off to pack tonight - going away for a long weekend (not a holiday unfortunately - we're organising a weekend camp, which is hard work) so I won't be back until Monday night.
Tara!!
And behave yourselves!!

Especially YOU!!!

Interesting. I'm unsure about the whole astrology/astronomy lark... two different kettles of fish I know, but just saying.

Incidently, for people who be living in Manchester area, there's a chap on the James Stannage show (Piccadilly 103) every other Sunday who never fails to intrigue me... Ray Castro Geovanni (Sp? (sorry)) I believe... Anyone heard him?

The first point of Aries is still referred to in astronomy (although precession has now shifted it into the constellation of Pisces!)
It's better known as the Vernal Equinox, when day and night are equal, as winter shifts to summer.

Its importance is a a reference point for the astronomical equivalent of longitude when measuring star positions - it's rather like the celestial Greenwich Meridian. But because this point is slowly moving, positions are always given with their epoch (eg, Epoch 2000), and astronomers make small corrections to allow for the actual date. (Precession also alters the celestial equivalent of latitude.)

It might seem odd to use a moving reference point, but everything in the sky moves relative to everything else, and the Vernal Equinox has the advantage of keeping things in step with the natural year of the seasons.

I was reading this article about Posh n Becks busily kitting out the 2022 England World Cup Squad and wondered if having a deliberate C-section to obtain a specific birthdate was fair in astrological terms. If there is something to it, would a baby born two months premature have the traits of the full nine months or of the date he/she was born? Just an idle thought.
Anyway, it seems that it has been pre-ordained that Bognor Beckham will be arriving two weeks today.

astrologee!

Its just something fun to read ,to me if its handy, in the paper .nothing I go looking for..its just to generilized to take serious.I'm a Libra and so are millions others,we're not all going to hit the lotto together.

Dark Detective said:
I was reading this article about Posh n Becks busily kitting out the 2022 England World Cup Squad and wondered if having a deliberate C-section to obtain a specific birthdate was fair in astrological terms. If there is something to it, would a baby born two months premature have the traits of the full nine months or of the date he/she was born? Just an idle thought.
In astrological terms, your birthdate is your birthdate, however it is arrived at. And even when the birth is completely natural and uninterfered with, you can't be sure in advance what the exact date will be - it could vary by up to a fortnight either side of the predicted date.

Looking at the proliferation of online psychology tests, and the popularity of astrology, and to some extent the work of cold readers, psychics and spiritualists - why do we get such a kick out of someone telling us stuff about ourselves we already know?

Dark Detective said:
Looking at the proliferation of online psychology tests, and the popularity of astrology, and to some extent the work of cold readers, psychics and spiritualists - why do we get such a kick out of someone telling us stuff about ourselves we already know?
I would get a kick out of someone telling me something I already know if I felt sure there was no normal way they could have known it.

But good detective work can uncover so many facts about someone, it's impossible to be absolutely sure that a random meeting with a stranger was not deliberately engineered by them for some strange purpose. Which would be almost as Fortean as true mind reading, or whatever!

More convincing would be to receive information that you didn't know but subsequently find out is true, preferably something outside of the ability of the sooth-sayer to arrange, like an earthquake.

If my horoscope in the paper says something vaguely relevent to my present situation, I just smile at the coincidence - it would be remarkable if they were wrong all the time! :)

For some reason, my three-headed pet

Loves this subject, since some old biddy asked them if they were Aries, and the three thought she was swearing at them.

But as the Sarahs' wrote:

"Do not ask what our starsign is,
We were not born on Earth,
Around another star entirely
Was the planet of our birth."

Re: For some reason, my three-headed pet

Originally written by famous astrologer Linda Goodman
One of the strangest patterns in astrology is the death of a relative in the family within either a year before or a year after the birth of a Scorpio. And when a Scorpio dies, there will be a birth in the family within the year before or the year after. It happens at least 95% of the time.

I happen to belong to this sign, and I first read this statement as a teenager and it stuck with me. One of my grandparents died within a year of my birth, though the worst thing is that my sister has become a baby factory, so it's going to be a while before I'm out of the woods. This is an example of the downside of this stuff - every ache and pain becomes something terminal.
But statistically speaking could this apply to anyone - any other scorpios experienced this, or can it be applied to pretty much anyone?

I've just read the posts about Caesarian births and astrology.

Well according to that accursed Scottish Play, man that is untimely
ripped from the womb apparently is not considered to have been
born of woman at all. :eek:

James Whitehead said:
...that accursed Scottish Play,
Would that be
MacBeth
by any chance? :D

(I don't care, I'm doomed anyway, if my recent dreams are anything to go by... :eek!!!!:

Re: Re: For some reason, my three-headed pet

Dark Detective said:
But statistically speaking could this apply to anyone - any other scorpios experienced this, or can it be applied to pretty much anyone?
It didn't happen like this in my family. When my Scorpio mum died no one was born within a year, and when my Scorpio sister was born, no one died as far as I can remember. It sounds statisically very dodgy indeed, and I'm surprised at you Dark Dick, an intelligent man being worried by such a thing. Get a grip on yourself man! *slaps DD repeatedly* :)

*oww*
Well, I read it at an impressionable age - but it's intriguingly specific for this kind of game. One wouldn't just pull a stat like that out of one's arse - then again, maybe quoting "95%" is the get-out clause. Outside of your own circle you have no way of verifying whether it applies to anyone else, so if it's wrong you can assume you're in the 5%, whereas in reality it's probably much, much bigger.

Back