• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You See The Dog In The Water? (Hugh Gray Nessie Photo; 1933)

I cannot see a dog but then Im not good at picking hidden images out

It’s a ghost of a dog retrieving the ghost of the Loch Ness Monster on the Serpentine.

Got some time on my hands before the rugby starts, so here's a little number I tossed off this morning.
To the tune of "How much is that doggy in the window..."

A Golden Retriever in Loch Ness
The one with the stick in its jaws.
A shame that Hugh Gray did not confess
To a hoax that deserves our applause.

Gray threw out the stick a fair old distance
His doggy then gamely jumped in.
And then on his master’s insistence.
Back to his dear owner did swim.

Gray hastily reached for his camera
And took blurry shot after shot.
They’ll love this in blogs of Forteana
Even if they believe it or not.

For 90 odd years it’s kept us guessing,
A great joker was Gray’s epitaph.
With our minds the old rascal has been messing
Up in Heaven he’s had the last laugh!

Last edited:
Gazing at the "Nessie photo that is probably a swimming dog with a stick" in reproduced in Jenny Randle's FT410, I only "saw" the dog and stick for the firs time. Lord knows how many times I've seen it but have been unable to discern canine and branch until now. I don't know why it suddenly "clicked" and it's a very small version of the image that I've seen much larger in the past.

Loch-Ness-Monster dog.jpg

I'm chewing over a very old chestnut here - but it's an interesting experiment in perception and possible paredolia.

The Hugh Gray 1933 photo of an alleged Loch Ness Monster is thought to be the first of its kind.

The received wisdom of it has since become that it shows nothing more than a dog - a sandy coloured labrador - swimming towards the viewer with a stick in its mouth.

That has always been my take on it too - and I find that once you see the damned dog - you just can't unsee it!
The born again Nessie sceptic Tony Hamsworth has said, somewhere, that he once showed the picture to a group of primary school kids without context, and that they all immediately volunteered that it was a dog with a stick in its mouth!

Nevertheless, the venerable Glasgow Boy - surely Britain's last die hard Nessie believer - has put up a spirited and elaborate defence of the picture as showing something else entirely and the dog image as being a case of paredolia. (Strap yourself in for a long and detailed read).

http://lochnessmystery.blogspot.com/2011/06/hugh-gray-photograph-revisited_26.html

I was never won over by his cunning argument as it seemed overwrought - because it had to be.

Recently though I was able to conduct my own experiment. I showed this image to an objective party: a Russian woman who had only dimly heard of the Loch Ness Monster and certainly had no previous exposure to this image. As an English language teacher I was teaching Modals of Possibility (may be, could be,might be, etc) and used a printed copy of the picture to get her to use these this language. I didn't even tell her that the picure was taken at Loch Ness - just asked her to describe it using Modals of Possibility.

She theorised that it could be a submarine or a dolphin...but the notion of it being a stick wielding canine did not occur to her, and I'm not sure she even saw it when I pointed it out. I should add that the woman concerned is a dog lover (a proud owner of a puppy) and an artist (hence visually minded).

So..what about you? Can you see the dog? Can you unsee the dog? And what do you think the image really shows? I'm dogoned!

View attachment 13746

I'm looking at it but I can't seen the guy dressed in a gorilla suit walk by at all.

Gazing at the "Nessie photo that is probably a swimming dog with a stick" in reproduced in Jenny Randle's FT410, I only "saw" the dog and stick for the firs time. Lord knows how many times I've seen it but have been unable to discern canine and branch until now. I don't know why it suddenly "clicked" and it's a very small version of the image that I've seen much larger in the past.

View attachment 46989
I can certainly see that there does seem to be a ghostly image of a dog ~ but is it just a visual illusion?
Why is it such a ghostly image of the dogs face, when the image should be quite apparent?
Going by the original photograph, it seems there is far more spray that is apparent.
The 'stick' doesn't appear to look much like a stick - more like a smooth body-type feature.

In this picture (below), it shows just how high the spray is, so, if it is a 'Lab' type dogs face pushing through the surface water, would the spray be so forceful as this pic seems to show?

There is no indication of any pressure-bow wave in front of the push through surface water, and in fact as I've indicated with the blue lines - it shows that the ripples seem to continue on and go right into and through the image of the dogs face, which makes me question the dogs face image?

No Idea what the two images (circled in yellow) are, doesn't appear to look like sticks branch nodes, they have nothing to do with the dog image?

*See what you make of it.
Heron-Allen Image Low Res.png

I can certainly see that there does seem to be a ghostly image of a dog ~ but is it just a visual illusion?
Why is it such a ghostly image of the dogs face, when the image should be quite apparent?
Going by the original photograph, it seems there is far more spray that is apparent.
The 'stick' doesn't appear to look much like a stick - more like a smooth body-type feature.

In this picture (below), it shows just how high the spray is, so, if it is a 'Lab' type dogs face pushing through the surface water, would the spray be so forceful as this pic seems to show?

There is no indication of any pressure-bow wave in front of the push through surface water, and in fact as I've indicated with the blue lines - it shows that the ripples seem to continue on and go right into and through the image of the dogs face, which makes me question the dogs face image?

No Idea what the two images (circled in yellow) are, doesn't appear to look like sticks branch nodes, they have nothing to do with the dog image?

*See what you make of it.
View attachment 47017

No idea I'm afraid.

Back