• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You See What I See?

sudi5

Food spelled backwards is Doof
I was doing some genealogical sleuthing on my husband's paternal line and looked up a house in New York where his great-grandfather had lived. (His name was Cornelius Hayes and amazingly, the house was still there. He lived in this house in 1898.)

So, from Google maps I have a screen shot of the side of the house's front porch. (Replete with Halloween decor!) :
Cornelius'HouseA.png

And then, rotated the image to get a shot of the other side of the front porch:

ApparitionCornelius'HouseA.png

Do you see what I see in the bottom photo? For the record, Cornelius had a much younger wife in 1898; he was 52, she was 35.

I was doing some genealogical sleuthing on my husband's paternal line and looked up a house in New York where his great-grandfather had lived. (His name was Cornelius Hayes and amazingly, the house was still there. He lived in this house in 1898.)

So, from Google maps I have a screen shot of the side of the house's front porch. (Replete with Halloween decor!) : View attachment 64953

View attachment 64954

Do you see what I see in the bottom photo? For the record, Cornelius had a much younger wife in 1898; he was 52, she was 35.

Could be a woman in the window.

Could be a woman in the window.
That's what I thought. Maybe with a large 1890s type hat and a dress with a low neckline a la turn of the century. One thing, though, I'm seeing a heavy 5 o'clock shadow, too.

P.S. And, For the record, I believe the photos of the two facing sides of the porch were taken at different times from the Google car. And nothing rules out a current resident in present time but the hat and the general feel of the dress(?) made me think, older costume. Also, there's a little girl in the window above the door in the first photo but that doesn't strike me as being from times past, maybe a current resident's child.

Last edited:

So, from Google maps I have a screen shot of the side of the house's front porch. (Replete with Halloween decor!) : View attachment 64953

View attachment 64954

Hi sudi5 and thanks for sharing this picture. Can I ask please is the horizontal white painted window beam of the window frame solid because the image I see is disjointed half way down the beam itself? ..

Hi sudi5 and thanks for sharing this picture. Can I ask please is the horizontal white painted window beam of the window frame solid because the image I see is disjointed half way down the beam itself? ..
Yes, I saw that, thanks for looking at the picture. I believe it's a glitch in the way the Google camera records stuff as it's moving, stitching the frames together as it travels but I could be wrong. I would assume it's a horizontal window frame which is not compromised.

PS It's also difficult to get a good shot of the address and exactly how many Google pictures you have in the street views as you move the "view" up the street. If anyone wants to play with looking this online it's 428 - 74th Street, Brooklyn, NY. For all I know I have the house next door to Cornelius but still think it looks like a woman in an old-time dress, whatever the house's history.

Last edited:
The child in the top left window is clearer than the figure pointed out.
Actually, I only noticed her when I posted here. Didn't see her before. Thanks, all for the observations. I'll put it to blurry pixels, then.

I can't see anything I'm afraid. Must be immune to pareidolia and/or ghostly images. Must try harder or have my license to fort revoked.
This outlined image(?) what I originally found interesting... it's in the second photo in the original post. Kind of a 3/4 face with a large old style hat, maybe a white collar on a dress. The pink line is where I see a collar on a dress or something. The "face" is above that.outline1.png

View attachment 64954

Took me a little while to see it, but I do now - this woman seems to have a red dress on?
And she's looking to her left, her right ear is showing, along with a low necked ruffled dress.
Strange.

Last edited:
Could be a mixture of foliage and light.
But looking at the photo again, that dark hat with a white top making a shadow on the woman's face, with another shadow under her chin, and then the red dress - altogether it seems to have an awful lot of detail, one of the oddest photos I've seen in a long time.

I looked back on google at this window, all the way back to 2013, and the window reflects an apartment building opposite, a brick building.
So how this woman appears in that window is a mystery, she even apparently has a plume of black feathers sticking out of her hat, to her left.
Another odd thing is there is a planter on that window ledge, with a few small plants sticking up in front of the woman figure.

With respect to your family and what looks a very nice house, @sudi5 I genuinely think you have imposed a mental image onto what is a bit of reflected foliage etc.
Could certainly be reflections. I like Matrix ideas of reality, too, that we kinda form a reality that we want. (Re: The nice house. Yes, it is. But it's actually not my family's past house. It was my husband's great-grandfather's, who emigrated from Ireland and was an artist. My husband never lived there. My husband's dad was a cop who picked up side jobs as a house painter, close to being an "artist" but not quite.)

Last edited:
I can't see anything I'm afraid. Must be immune to pareidolia and/or ghostly images. Must try harder or have my license to fort revoked.
I'm with you. Even with it circled, outlined, and pointed out, all I can see is some bitty light and dark stuff that could be anything. I also think it might be a little bit of expectation mingled with paradoleia.

I, at first, thought that it was a figure in a hat. But that would be someone very short in relation to the window size.

Looking at it enlarged, it clearly looks like a doll sitting on the sill. It has a hat/bonnet surrounding its face, white apron with arms in front, possibly floral dress, and dark shoes.

Attachments

• IMG_1110.jpg
    IMG_1110.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 15
For anyone struggling
I can see that one and can still see the doll when I enlarge it further. I suspect that it is a doll.

I cannot see the child that is in an upper window.

For anyone struggling
Kind of looks like Ida B. Wells. Why would she be haunting a house in Brooklyn?

Seriously, though, reflections and/or a doll near the window are likely the cause. Same with the upstairs.

Just to see what would happen, I put the woman in the window into Google Image Search. I don't think it saw the person: the hits were almost all 'nebulous clouds', smoke, or similar.

Attachments

• reflection.png
    reflection.png
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
Just to see what would happen, I put the woman in the window into Google Image Search. I don't think it saw the person: the hits were almost all 'nebulous clouds', smoke, or similar.
I see a dark skinned wealthy woman sitting in a carriage, with a fancy hat on with trimmings on top, and a dress with white trimmings along the shoulders and over the chest. Maybe from the Louisiana (deep south) cotton rich areas.

Last edited:
Nope, sorry. Very bright day, lots of stuff going on outside, of which the reflections can clearly be seen - I still think it's mental contortions trying to see things in random light-and-shade and a bit of reflection.

Nope, sorry. Very bright day, lots of stuff going on outside, of which the reflections can clearly be seen - I still think it's mental contortions trying to see things in random light-and-shade and a bit of reflection.
It's called pareidolia - everyone can see (or not) things very differently.

It's called pareidolia - everyone can see (or not) things very differently.
Yes, and pareidolia is a function of being human - the tendency to 'see' faces or recognisable shapes in random patterns.

Back