• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Do You Watch 'Ghost Hunters'?

Do you watch "GHOST HUNTERS"?

• Yes, I watch it and like it. The investigations are handled professionally and provide proof of haun

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never heard of it/we don't get it here. (Please tell us where you are.)

• Frankly it scares me silly but I love it!

• I think it is all fake. I hate it.

• I don't know how they do that stuff in the dark! ::shudder::

• Ghosts? Ghosts?? We don't need no stinkin' ghosts!!

• Other (please explain)

• Total voters

volfie

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The US has a TV show called GHOST HUNTERS. I'm not sure where else it is broadcast but I was wondering who watches it and where. Feel free to discuss fav episodes or problems you have with the show. I'm really curious as to what everyone thinks about it.

I really enjoy GhostHunters. I like the fact, they are geared towards disproving hauntings, and that they actively set out to debunk things. I think it's infinitely better than Most Ruddy Haunted.

chewlip said:
I really enjoy GhostHunters. I like the fact, they are geared towards disproving hauntings, and that they actively set out to debunk things. I think it's infinitely better than Most Ruddy Haunted.

Ah, so you do get it in the UK. Are you in the current season -- the same one we see here? There was a recent epi (in fact, it might have been the season opener) where they were in the UK and in some underground tunnels. There were making a big deal about seeing a light down the tunnel where there shouldn't have been one but during the playback I saw something black come toward them down the tunnel and then what looked like a line of ghostly people passing by to the right. For some reason, they didn't see it but I sure did! And I've watched the episode mutliple times just to make sure I saw what I thought I saw. It was almost like they were focusing on a distant event and not seeing what was happening closer to them.

I'm not particularly a coward but, heck, I couldn't do that stuff. I'd be OUT OF THERE.

I watch it on www.veoh.com

I watched that episode the other day. The hellfire caves. I live near there! I saw the shadow thing too, I thought that's what they were focusing on initially. They didn't seem to mention it though. I guess the light alone could cause the shadows.

chewlip said:
I watch it on www.veoh.com

I watched that episode the other day. The hellfire caves. I live near there! I saw the shadow thing too, I thought that's what they were focusing on initially. They didn't seem to mention it though. I guess the light alone could cause the shadows.

Wow! You saw it too! Did you tape it? Watch a little bit further along and see if you can see anything else going down the tunnel.

I used to watch it for a while, but not anymore. Mostly it's just people walking around in the dark and scaring themselves. I also find the guys pretty pathetic... if they ever really stumbled over a real case (i.e., demonic haunting, poltergeist, etc.), they would crap their pants and run for their lives.

If you want to see something really scary (and live in the US), watch "A Haunting" on Discovery Channel... it comes on usually once or twice a week between 12 and 2 pm, and it's a reenactment of real haunting stories.

faith2faith said:
I used to watch it for a while, but not anymore. Mostly it's just people walking around in the dark and scaring themselves. I also find the guys pretty pathetic... if they ever really stumbled over a real case (i.e., demonic haunting, poltergeist, etc.), they would crap their pants and run for their lives.

If you want to see something really scary (and live in the US), watch "A Haunting" on Discovery Channel... it comes on usually once or twice a week between 12 and 2 pm, and it's a reenactment of real haunting stories.

I've seen that a few times and I really don't like it. It seems cheesy to me to do recreations. Overly dramatic or something.

I like that the GhostHunters get scared some times. I can appreciate that. I've been scared myself.

I guess it's just a case of "different strokes", right? It would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing. :)

I am addicted to Ghosthunters. And I DESPISE Most Haunted--I think the whole "psychic" angle is nonsense. Give me videotape, photographs, EVP. Somebody on t.v. telling me that they're "feeling something" doesn't cut it for me.

I like that GH doesn't give credence to "orbs," which doesn't seem to me to be evidence of anything but dust. Some of the evidence they've caught on tape has been truly compelling, I feel.

I hope its not all staged--that would suck.

fake, but not to hate

I only can enjoy Ghosthunters at the end of a long day when my brain is in neutral: any critical thinking spoils the show.

When Ghosthunters first aired, it seemed to be set up to resemble American Chopper with the lead ghosthunter playing the snarly father character. It's been redesigned since then.

I think most of it is faked, however.

No not heard of It but I find most ghost hunting like shows to be too cheesy to watch like when they think they've seen or heard something for example.

It's the way the people act and their facial expressions.

Re: fake, but not to hate

ElishevaBarsabe said:

If by "faked" you mean "eight hours of investigation edited to fit into 30 minutes" then you'd be right.

If by "faked" you mean "evidence constructed to make the show more interesting" you'd be wrong.

Doctor_Occupant said:
If by "faked" you mean "evidence constructed to make the show more interesting" you'd be wrong.

Oh!

Care to elarbarate? Looks pretty fake (evidence constructed to make the show more interesting) to me! :shock:

Compare Ghost Hunters, the Sci-Fi Channel show featuring TAPS, to Most Haunted.

TAPS sets out to debunk, and over the course of three series we have seen them do this. TAPS also regularly kicks out evidence that they can't support - the shadowy figure at the door of the Myrtles Plantation, for example, because they had no way to determine that it wasn't a flesh and blood person on the other side of the door. TAPS also kicks out thermal camera footage when they are able to demonstrate that said footage was a reflection, so they aren't above admitting mistakes.

Compare this with Most Haunted, for whom something spooky always seems to happen, especially the last Most Haunted Live in which the MH team paid a visit to Eastern State Pen (a place investigated on two previous occasions by TAPS, duing which they captured video of what looks like a short person covered in a blanket running down a walkway).

MH were able to reliably capture "paranormal" activity of all descriptions - TAPS got one five second piece of footage.

If Sci Fi or TAPS wanted to rake in the Spooky, and given that SciFi is backed by NBC who have significantly more resources than Living TV, wouldn't it make sense to out MH MH? Given the number of fake mediums given US airtime, the proliferation of shows like Dead Famous, Destination Truth, SciFi Investigates...and an upcoming Canadian production of a similar nature, why would Ghost Hunters take even the mildly sceptical approach that it takes when MH has shown that spooky shenannigens = ratings?

You'd also have to remember that a lot of their evidence isn't very high quality. They themselves admit it could be better - the moving lamp at the Myrtles Plantation - they mention twice that you can't see the right hand side of the table, so there's the easy out for any cynic watching.

So, why wouldn't one of the Sci Fi channel's top ten shows go the extra mile and make better fakes?

Doctor_Occupant said:
ElishevaBarsabe said:

I'm not sure that the ghost hunters themselves fake evidence, but others fake events that the ghost hunters film and ascribe to the occult (the bed that uncovered itself comes to mind, as does the chair that moved in the lighthouse).

Some of their "evidence" is simply misinterpretation.

Doctor_Occupant said:
...(blah - all the stuff you quoted)...

Seems a bit too good to be true! (Thought you were going to have a go at me - well done!)

Still. SCI FI channel eh? What more evidence do you need!

Seriously - are you 'involved' with them in any way?

ElishevaBarsabe said:
I'm not sure that the ghost hunters themselves fake evidence, but others fake events that the ghost hunters film and ascribe to the occult (the bed that uncovered itself comes to mind, as does the chair that moved in the lighthouse).

The uncovering bed was caught by TAPS when they noticed that the camera which recorded the incident had been switched off. They made a point of detailing this during the show.

The moving chair in the lighthouse is, as far as I know, genuine but would have been easy to fake given the conditions under which it was filmed.

Some of the stuff they present is almost certainly misinterpretation, as is a good chunk of all the evidence collected by amateur paranormalists. The difference between TAPS and the work of certain other 'reputable' paranormalists is that they at least acknowledge when what they've collected isn't as perfect as it could be.

Frobush - involved with whom? TAPS, the SciFi channel or NBC?

Doctor_Occupant said:

Oh, erm, are you involved with TAPS, SciFi Channel and/or NBC?

Sorry - I didn't make it clear!

I don't want to have a flame war with you! :D

Frobush said:
Doctor_Occupant said:

Oh, erm, are you involved with TAPS, SciFi Channel and/or NBC?

Sorry - I didn't make it clear!

I don't want to have a flame war with you! :D

Flame war? With me, the mildest of men?

The ghost-hunting group - there's got to be a better name than that - is part of the TAPS family. Which means I'm as closely involved wityh TAPS as the third cousin you've never met is with you. We benefit from the name, because it opens doors that would otherwise be closed, we have a readymade network of semi-like minds to call on when we need a reality check and we're in no way involved with the show.

We'er also members of IPI, which is rather more International in outlook and seems to have attracted some excellent researchers.

No dont watch it!

Would love to see a ghost though :wow:

ElishevaBarsabe said:
Doctor_Occupant said:
ElishevaBarsabe said:

They openly debunked the bed and told the staff of the QEII that someone had come in and stopped their camera to fake that footage. The staff admitted they DO have problems with stuff being faked. It was the first time I remember them ever getting mad over something like that.

I'm not sure about the lighthouse footage. Why do you think that was faked? There was no one in that room when that chair moved, IIRC.

They debunk a LOT of stuff and ignore other things that they can't collaborate or get physical proof for, ie: smells, sounds, touches, etc. I think they go out of their way to be cautious.

Doctor_Occupant said:
The ghost-hunting group - there's got to be a better name than that - is part of the TAPS family. Which means I'm as closely involved wityh TAPS as the third cousin you've never met is with you. We benefit from the name, because it opens doors that would otherwise be closed, we have a readymade network of semi-like minds to call on when we need a reality check and we're in no way involved with the show.

We'er also members of IPI, which is rather more International in outlook and seems to have attracted some excellent researchers.

That's pretty cooOOOoool. :D

What does TAPS stand for, btw? As much as I've watched that show, either I've never heard what the acronym means or it just didn't stick in my mind.

I'm hooked on the show. My Wednesday nights are for four full hours of it. Sometimes I scoff at what people think are going on in their houses (and the stories they make up around it) but mostly I just think, "I couldn't investigate that in the dark." :oops:

MaxMolyneux said:
No not heard of It but I find most ghost hunting like shows to be too cheesy to watch like when they think they've seen or heard something for example.

It's the way the people act and their facial expressions.

You should try and catch an episode or two. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how cheesy the show ISN'T. Usually when they hear or see something, you see it, too. Not all the time, unfortunately, but a lot of the time. And since they use film and IR and recording devices, a lot of the stuff can get played back for examination. They've had some really good stuff on this last season, IMHO.

The one that sticks in my mind is the case in a National Guard Armory when
the sound guy gets clocked in the face by his heavy bag of gear.
You can clearly see that he is holding the boom mic up in the air and
for no reason the bag hanging at his side flies up and smacks him under the chin.

You could see how shaken the guy was. They pulled him aside to talk it out
immediately after the event and again in their "office" to show
the guy the video of exactly what had happened.

Compare that to Carl or Stuart on MH claiming to be punched every other
episode with no actual evidence or followup.

FWIW
TVgeek

TVgeek said:
The one that sticks in my mind is the case in a National Guard Armory when
the sound guy gets clocked in the face by his heavy bag of gear.
You can clearly see that he is holding the boom mic up in the air and
for no reason the bag hanging at his side flies up and smacks him under the chin.
The most interesting part of that (and it was fascinating) was that his first response, while he was still lying on the floor, IIRC, was "something ran through me". If something had come through him, back to front, that would pretty much explain the bag flipping up like that.

Did you see the bit of footage they caught with the infared camera that showed a man in a flat-topped hat, standing there with his arms crossed -- -- and then he actually moved his head. What was really where they saw this was a locker. There was no way there should have been anything BUT a locker in the footage and yet it is clearly a human form and dressed differently than the two guys who were there.

That was good... the number on the front of the locker (it was either paint or a sticker) was glowing as though it was hot as well. It was cool to the point of being invisible when they came back.

Here is the clip, if interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7C7WlYCZGQ

After watching bits of last weekend's MH Live at the Winchester Mystery House (with the requisite Carl and Cath being dragged out for medical
exams) I'll stick with the TAPS crew from now on.

TVgeek

TVgeek said:
That was good... the number on the front of the locker (it was either paint or a sticker) was glowing as though it was hot as well. It was cool to the point of being invisible when they came back.

Here is the clip, if interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7C7WlYCZGQ

After watching bits of last weekend's MH Live at the Winchester Mystery House (with the requisite Carl and Cath being dragged out for medical
exams) I'll stick with the TAPS crew from now on.

TVgeek

Oh, thanks! I remembered his arms wrong! It looks like one hand is up level with his chest and resting flat against a wall. I love that clip.

Don't be too quick about poo-pooing the med exams -- I think there's going to be an emergency run on Ghost Hunters this week. :)

I love this show, though. And I love that they try hard to debunk things. This clip, for those who are looking at the piece shown on YouTube, was REALLY worked on for debunking and they couldn't do it.

That thermal footage of the locker - I still think that's Grant being reflected by the locker door. I don't know why they couldn't replicate it later, but it's always possible that an environmental change had taken place in the room.

Oh, and some advice: don't put much (or any) stock by how the network shills the show. They have a tendency to misrepresent things to generate interest.

Doctor_Occupant said:
That thermal footage of the locker - I still think that's Grant being reflected by the locker door. I don't know why they couldn't replicate it later, but it's always possible that an environmental change had taken place in the room.

How do you explain the hat?

Back