Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There Be Spoilers!)

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
Oooo, and there were me thinking it were a rant about how they insist on calling the current series Series Two, when it's actually series 28 or summat.

Well, my favourite episodes so far -
The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
The Girl in the Fireplace

Least favourite -
Well, much as it pains me to say it - the Cybermen. I looked forward to them so much, and they looked great, but I just thought the episodes were rather weak.

barfing_pumpkin

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The thing about that is...according to one source, the heart of the Tardis is something called The Eye of Harmony. According to events in The Deadly Assassin, the Eye of Harmony is on Gallifrey and is a captive black hole created by Rassillon, Omega et al to power the initial time travel experiments. And according to the most recent TV show, the Tardis gets its power from the Universe, but the heart of the Tardis is connected to the Space/Time Vortex and exposure to the energy therein is fatal.
Well, looking at the snippet for next weeks' show (which appears suitably 'off-world' - and rather epic, I must say) it seems that a black hole is a major plot point. I understand that this is the first episode of a two-parter in which the Doctor meets someone claiming to be the devil.

Hmmm. OK, I know RTD has said that we won't be seeing the Master in this series, but maybe this devil guy is such a 'mephistolean charmer' that it leaves a lot of viewers wondering. Whatever happens, it's sure to turn out interesting - RTD has stated that this story will illustrate the Doctor's 'beliefs', so it looks like we're going into SF-meets-theology territory. So hopefully it'll be a bit controversial, too.

As for 'The Idiot's Lantern': thoroughly enjoyable, made even more so by...faceless people! And what's weird is that though the 'blank face' effect was fairly ropy CGI, it was this very ropiness that made it better. It gave the impression that the faces themselves couldn't really be fully grasped by the eye; there was a dreamlike fuzziness to them that implied more a psychological effect than a physical one - as if the change was such that the mind couldn't quite get the hang of what it was seeing. Very good stuff indeed.

ghostdog19

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Really enjoyed tonights episode. I think also that Gatiss wrote for Rose well too. She wasn't annoying in this episode. Which shows that Tennant can chew his way through a terrible episode and make himself still watchable, but Piper has a lot of acting jobs to do before she can carry off the same.

Great stuff.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Ravenstone said:
Oooo, and there were me thinking it were a rant about how they insist on calling the current series Series Two, when it's actually series 28 or summat.
Yep indeed - 28th season of Dr Who Broadcast unless you want to count McGann as a whole season to himself!

Gordon

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I thought the faceless effect was done with masks (as it was in the Twilight Zone movie).

Good episode although all the Little Shop of Horrors-esque "feed me now" business got a little grating after a while.

When I get the DVD I am going to have to check to see if any of the shots were actually done straight. It can work as a dramatic device but when used all the time like that it rather loses its impact.

---------
Anyway DVDs....

I think I mentioned Volume 2 part 1 is out:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000ESSTB0/

Box set is scheduled for November:

www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000FFL702/

Pity the piccie is a placeholder as I got excited thinking it was a Cyberman!!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Mark Gatiss does it again, an excellent episode. The faceless aspect made me think of Sapphire and Steel or that episode of Star Trek where Robert Walker Jr plays the petulant, psychic teen who makes the woman's face disappear at the party. All this and the Doctor quoting Kylie as well!

But does anyone know why Mr Gatiss was completely bald when interviewed in Doctor Who Confidential on BBC3? I'm hoping it's for a role.

ghostdog19

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
he's playing Johnnie Cradock in "Fear of Fanny" for BBC4 next. Johnnie Cradock was bald.

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I didn't like the blurred faces, thought they would have looked better as masks!

I like the look of the squid things coming up next week though.

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
min_bannister said:
That would be the Ood.

Gordon

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
gordonrutter said:
Yep indeed - 28th season of Dr Who Broadcast unless you want to count McGann as a whole season to himself!
I do believe I've said before that I try to block out the whole McGann experience and pretend it never happened.... ;)

Pietro_Mercurios

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
min_bannister said:
I didn't like the blurred faces, thought they would have looked better as masks!

Masks, or CGI, it's still a bit unlikely, isn't it?

How would they breathe, for one thing? It all seemed a bit more metaphysical, than science fictional.

Not that I didn't enjoy it. :)

Mob1138

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ravenstone said:
Least favourite -
Well, much as it pains me to say it - the Cybermen. I looked forward to them so much, and they looked great, but I just thought the episodes were rather weak.
Season 2 has generally been very, very weak so far. New Earth was ok-ish, School Reunion was fun but felt like a huge waste and the Cybermen episodes were dismal. Plus Billie appears to have forgotten how to act at times, though Tennant is ecellent as the Doctor.

However it has had The Girl in the Fireplace which is possibly one of the best bit of Who ever.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Mob1138 said:
Ravenstone said:
Least favourite -
Season 2 has generally been very, very weak so far. ..... and the Cybermen episodes were dismal.
I agree that the Cybermen episode did over-egg the pudding a bit: it felt like they'd fleshed it out to two episodes just so they could jam a cliff-hanger in the middle. However, I totally disagree that it was dismal. And I'm enjoying this series over all: good stories (by and large) nippily told, rather than spreading one wonky premise very thinly over six weeks.

ghostdog19

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
girl in the fireplace has been my favourite episode thus far.

The cthuloid squidish ood look cool as did the trailer for the imposible planet. Looking forward to it.

Doctor_Occupant

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I've enjoyed it all so far, apart from Tennant being Shouty Threat Doctor Who Never Delivers on the Grandiose Comments.

And even that's fun.

Especially this week, when he gets handed his gallifreyan behind by a right hook. So much for 'The Lonely God'.

A

Anonymous

Yeah...re: tennant doc.....v.angry and shouty.........should be good, but why the rose pandering goofyness mcChav traits? While I like the idea of an angry doc, and can stomach the lonely god stuff..........Jarvis Cocker is not scarey....repeat...........

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
I think perhaps the second part of the Cybermen story was better than the first. At least, I liked some of the Doctor's lines more! "I'd say you were a genius, but I'm in the room" for starters. I dunno. Perhaps I looked forward to it too much or something. And, speaking as one who's never found the Rose angle that annoying before, I was getting really fed up of it in those two episodes.

I missed last night's on account of dashing out on a mercy mission whilst staying at my Mom and Dad's for the weekend. Friend got stranded by a taxi driver who refused to pick him up - because he's disabled and it would take too long to get him into the car. :roll:

Moooksta

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ravenstone said:
I think perhaps the second part of the Cybermen story was better than the first.
I'd agree with you there, it felt like the old Doc episodes in that everyone splits up with different objectives and then all come together at the end. And any London location (Battersea) just reminds of the Pertwee era stories. I thought the second Cyberman episode was one of the best.

I'm sure Mickey / Thickey will be back along with the bad guys too!

I gotta say though I'm a bit fed up with the Doctor getting kissed every other episode. No offense to Mr. Davis but his episodes aren't the great ones IMHO.

mooks out

Mob1138

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
stuneville said:
Mob1138 said:
Ravenstone said:
Least favourite -
Season 2 has generally been very, very weak so far. ..... and the Cybermen episodes were dismal.
I agree that the Cybermen episode did over-egg the pudding a bit: it felt like they'd fleshed it out to two episodes just so they could jam a cliff-hanger in the middle. However, I totally disagree that it was dismal. And I'm enjoying this series over all: good stories (by and large) nippily told, rather than spreading one wonky premise very thinly over six weeks.
Fair enough if you liked it, i found the story horribly clunky, poorly acted and as for the resolution to the cliffhanger (ooo, thats handy innit) was just terrible. The redesign of the Cybermen was great, as was the idea of alternate worlds but it was wasted to drag the increasingly tedious Rose subplot to the fore.

This series has had high pointsbut it needs to tighten up on the script as some episodes have been too sloppy (New Earth, the Cybermen ones).

Peripart

Antediluvian
So far this season, I've really enjoyed most of the stories. The Cybermen episodes were great, if only for nostalgic reasons, although I did get my knickers in a twist trying to resolve the knotty problem of whether this story has any connection with the birth of the Cybermen in the "normal" Who universe.

The best story, against my expectations, was "The Girl in the Fireplace", which really handled the emotional problems of time-travel in a believable way - just a great tale. This week, however, was rubbish. Watchable rubbish, but will anyone ever want to re-watch "The Wire"? I doubt it very much.

I think this one showed up the limitations with the new episode lengths - everything seemed too rushed, the story had to be told in just over 40 minutes. I'm all for telling the story in one go (how frustrating was it in the old series to have to watch the programme at 25 minutes per week?), but perhaps 60 minutes might serve the show better. Mind you, it didn't help that we wasted time on more father-based soap-opera crap - they could've lost 5 minutes of that, and found time for 5 minutes more of the Doctor's part of the story.

I agree with previous posters re Tennant's Doctor, though - he's great, but he regularly gets really angry, then has to calm down rapidly for the story to progress. It's all getting a bit tiring, especially when sontrasted with the general arsing around which occurs when the Doctor and Rose are together.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Peripart said:
I think this one showed up the limitations with the new episode lengths - everything seemed too rushed, the story had to be told in just over 40 minutes. I'm all for telling the story in one go (how frustrating was it in the old series to have to watch the programme at 25 minutes per week?), but perhaps 60 minutes might serve the show better.
Nope - 45-50 minutes is the optimum if they want to sell it abroad, particularly to the USA. As you no doubt know already, that's why Star Trek etc are all that length when shown on the Beeb as there's no commercials. US television schedules everything based on multiples of 30 minutes, ads included, so a 1 hour BBC production would air (uncut) for 1 hour 20 minutes odd over there. Very difficult to shoehorn that into a schedule that by and large starts programmes on the hour or half-past.

Look what happens when UK Gold shows BBC half-hour programmes.
Mind you, it didn't help that we wasted time on more father-based soap-opera crap - they could've lost 5 minutes of that, and found time for 5 minutes more of the Doctor's part of the story.
Yeah - Jamie Foreman's a good actor, but they largely wasted him in this. What sort of point was Gatiss trying to make there? Made sense to have a patriotic ex-serviceman in the Coronation year, but why make him a bully (apart from giving Rose an excuse to pass on some more of her utterly irrelevant to the story girl-power schtick)?

Ravenstone

Queen Under The Mountain
stuneville said:
giving Rose an excuse to pass on some more of her utterly irrelevant to the story girl-power schtick)?
Ah yes. What little I did catch included what is obviously Rose's favourite Trivial Pursuit question. Makes you want to slap her, dunnit?

painy2

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Ive never been interested in Doctor who in the slightest, I found the old episodes boring and extremeley difficult watch, the acting was shoddy and the plots and stories bad.

I watched the first (new series) season with Chris Eccleston and was pleasantly surprised by some of the episodes, a couple of them were really bad but overall it was an ok series, I thought he played the Doctor well even if he was a little aggresive at times, the trouble is my children are now hooked on Doctor who and have to watch it at least 4 times a day (why did I get Sky+!) to get their fix.

But that also means I have to watch it, I thought it would be more a case of enduring the second new series, mainly because ive never really liked David Tennant as an actor and the Christmas special really didnt do a lot for him. I have however enjoyed this series very much, I agree that The Girl in the fireplace episode was excellent and the "poorly" people (thats what my children call it) episode was also good.

The cyberman episode promised so much and delivered very little, the first episode was bordering on the tedious, but it did build up to an exciting climax, and I was waiting with anticipation for the conclusion, when the conclusion came I was gutted, the Doctor pulled this weapon out of his pocket that he must have summoned from somewhere and wiped them out in one shot (boring), then it did really get worse from there on.

David Tennant has surprised me a great deal and is in fact a very good Doctor, Billie piper is a terrible sidekick and should be replaced, her acting is pathetic at times.

I wont be going back to pursue the older episodes, and have no real desire to understand anything about the Doctors universe, to me they are just entertaining sci-fi shows that I can enjoy with my children in the evening.

Doctor_Occupant

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
painy2 said:
I wont be going back to pursue the older episodes, and have no real desire to understand anything about the Doctors universe, to me they are just entertaining sci-fi shows that I can enjoy with my children in the evening.
Yay!

Well, that's the purpose of the show. So if it's done that, and the kids like it, then huzzah!

A word of warning. The whisper from a Beeb insider is that the next episode (which should be 'The Impossible Planet') is scary. Not 'hide behind the sofa' scary but 'coming soon to a nightmare near you' scary.

I'm looking forward to it.

Kellydandodi

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
There's been David Icke style stuff in the Slitheen and Werewolf episodes - government and royalty secretly aliens.