Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There Be Spoilers!)

Anome

Bibliomancer
I have to say there was some egregious stuff in this week's episode. There is no way that running a particle accelerator to create positrons to then annihilate and generate thrust is more efficient than just accelerating the original particles out the back of the ship.

Oh, and the bit with the Pting in the airlock: Why didn't she open the door before the bomb went off, just to make sure? She thought it would absorb the blast, but wasn't 100% certain, she should have dumped it the instant it ate the thing.

I wasn't overly happy with the pregnancy plot, either. It felt like it was just to sideline Graham and Ryan because they didn't have enough other things to do. Given that they chose to do it, though, they did manage to work in some character development for Ryan and his relationships with his father and Graham.

Other than that, I quite enjoyed it. I think, overall, I preferred last week, but this one was fine. Next week seems to be about Yaz and her family in the partition. Might have been nice if they'd just done a pure historical - we haven't had one for a while - but we'll see what they're up to.

nicnac168

Junior Acolyte
Did I miss hear ( or imagine !) the name of the new born baby as being Avocado- named for the great Vegan as a compliment to the Earthling Douas?

escargot

Beloved of Ra
There is no way that running a particle accelerator to create positrons to then annihilate and generate thrust is more efficient than just accelerating the original particles out the back of the ship.
Shrewdly anticipating your scepticism, I have already mentioned this to Escette and will expect his expert analysis in due course.

catseye

For the greater good
Not too sure about this ep. Seemed a bit odd, the Doc taking a break to explain anti-matter drive in the middle of trying to evacuate all patients to one area of the ship. It was nice to see the Doc taking charge but it did rather sideline the companions into having nothing much to do and not sure of the point of the android. I supposed it was going to be him that handled the Pting, as he wouldn't be affected by the toxicity, but, in the end, Yaz wrapped it in a blanket and chucked it out. So why did he need to be an android? Could have been a human. And he seemed to have no real function in the story either.

Tigerhawk

Resistance is futile!
The Brigadier was a personal favourite, as are any UNIT-associated characters. I'm hoping for a Captain Jack re-appearance too, but I fear I may be in a minority.
Mike Yates would be interesting to have return - perhaps reinstated into UNIT and running the British branch?

Quake42

Warrior Princess
Businessman will turn up again - probably as US President in a future future story. His story arc isn't finished, mark my words.

And as for 'making the show PC'...really? Black and asian people and women allowed to be in it? Whatever next...
I don’t think those criticising the PC angle are saying that black, Asian people and/or women shouldn’t be in it. But it does feel a little like being bonked over the head with a diversity manual as the scripts follow contemporary woke obsessions: racial issues, evil white supremacist businessman, a man giving birth etc. All very paint by numbers BBC and, rather like the trend for every advert to feature a mixed race couple, once you notice it then it’s hard to ignore.

I haven’t watched every episode but my initial impressions:

• Jodie Whitaker is okay but her cheeky chapess Yorkshire schtick is already getting a bit old.
  • Too many companions. Just her and Bradley Walsh would be fine.
  • The Rosa episode would have been better as a Quantum Leap story.

Peripart

Antediluvian
The man giving birth seemed to be in the story for the sole purpose of being a man giving birth. He had nothing to do with the plot at all.

On a more positive note, it's always nice to see the sister of a former hurdling world champion on TV, even if she did look really silly clamped into that standy-up control thing.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
If they have discovered a way to create antimatter without creating matter at the same time, then that drive could work. Then you just smash the positrons into some electrons and get the energy for both.

What I want to know is how the pting moves around in space. Perhaps the energy consumption leads to some really energetic farts.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
On a more positive note, it's always nice to see the sister of a former hurdling world champion on TV, even if she did look really silly clamped into that standy-up control thing.
Yeah - you do get the impression somebody thought as almost identical (but more military-looking) equipment looked ace in Pacific Rim it'd also look good in this. That the ones in PR wouldn't have looked out of place in a tank or fighter plane and the one in DW in a hair salon seems to have not occurred to them. Or rather it did, hence the exaggerated difference.

Anome

Bibliomancer
If they have discovered a way to create antimatter without creating matter at the same time, then that drive could work. Then you just smash the positrons into some electrons and get the energy for both.
It was explicitly stated as being a particle accelerator that created the anti-matter. Without magic, that means they're accelerating matter particles into each other in such a way to create the positrons, and then using those to generate heat.

Kind of a long way round to create some heat. But this is really nitpicking, especially given the history of different star drives and the fact the central character travels through time. I was really just being facetious in the face of the people complaining about how the Doctor shouldn't be a woman, and the "evil liberals" who are wedging the "PC agenda" into a kids' show just by not having everyone be a white man.

What I want to know is how the pting moves around in space. Perhaps the energy consumption leads to some really energetic farts.
Did look kind of similar to the Slitheen...

catseye

For the greater good
Exactly. It seems odd for us to be commenting on the ethnicities and genders of those in the stories when literally every other character is an alien from another species totally.

Either we suspend disbelief and recognise that our differences of colour and race are nothing in the face of the monumental differences between humans and those from other planets, or we watch it as a TV programme and realise that the BBC shows life in all its shades and diversities.

And I suggest that people only feel 'hit over the head' with PCness if they want to be. You only notice 'mixed race' couples in adverts when it's pointed out, or when you stop to think about it? Why would you want to stop and think about it? It's just PEOPLE, people.

Quake42

Warrior Princess
Exactly. It seems odd for us to be commenting on the ethnicities and genders of those in the stories when literally every other character is an alien from another species totally.

Either we suspend disbelief and recognise that our differences of colour and race are nothing in the face of the monumental differences between humans and those from other planets, or we watch it as a TV programme and realise that the BBC shows life in all its shades and diversities.

And I suggest that people only feel 'hit over the head' with PCness if they want to be. You only notice 'mixed race' couples in adverts when it's pointed out, or when you stop to think about it? Why would you want to stop and think about it? It's just PEOPLE, people.
I think you may have misunderstood my post.

It makes absolute sense that a fantasy show featuring space faring civilisations will involve humans of various races as well as aliens of various sorts. When that just seems part of the setting you don’t really notice it. I’ve been rewatching Star Trek: TNG and that’s a good example of how diverse casting works.

With Dr Who and indeed the majority of BBC drama at the moment it all seems a little by numbers and done to make a political point rather than in the interests of good drama and story telling.

The casting of TV adverts was an aside, but it’s true that the impression one takes away from current advertising is that around 80% of British under-60s are in mixed race partnerships. That’s not accidental, it’s very deliberate casting, probably intended to show how woke the product being advertised is. All a bit daft really.

catseye

For the greater good
With regards to the relevance of the android and the pregnant man; maybe they don't necessarily add to plot development but they do flesh out and add colour and nuance to the fantasy world.
But that's not really how storytelling works. If I submitted a book to my agent with significant characters that didn't add anything to the story but were just there on the page 'doing things', she'd tell me to go back and make them relevant to the storyline. Every word should either build the character or advance the story, it's a writer's mantra. Wallpaper and colour is done through setting.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
So the Doc can marry people now? I think Nani's claim to be the first woman married in Pakistan fails to hold water.

Anyway, apart from that, surprised to see DW tackle Islamic extremism, but maybe I shouldn't be, as the Doc has fought extremists in many forms down the years. Aliens felt a bit superfluous, maybe they should have gone for a straightforward historical like The Highlanders, and I'd have preferred some accents (or some different accents), but for the first non-Chibnall episode this series, not bad.

Next week: Doctor Who vs the Amazon warehouse! I think.

WanderingFox

Junior Acolyte
Considering there have been decades of programmes predominantly featuring straight, white and male characters, as far as I'm concerned a show that foregrounds other points of humanity's vast spectrum is to be applauded. Yes, I have a few concerns about the new direction, but they're minor, and its delightful diversity is certainly not one of them!

Plenty of promise thus far, and I look forward to watching this DW grow.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
The aliens looked suitably gnarly, I'll grant you. Vaguely Lovecraftian monsters, orders of magnitude better than last week's Pikachu clone.

The Doctor though isn't growing into the role at all and is fast becoming a mere caricature.
1) Pull a face
2) Make a Bubble/Victoria Wood style quip
3) Strike an heroic pose whilst aiming the sonic screwdriver.
4) Rinse and repeat.

Oh and, once an episode, throw in some name-dropping (it was Einstein last episode).

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
Anyway, apart from that, surprised to see DW tackle Islamic extremism
I am not sure how it tackled Islamic extremism? Manish was a Hindu. His beef (pardon the pun) was with Prem marrying a Muslim. Although I might have missed something.

The Doctor though isn't growing into the role at all and is fast becoming a mere caricature.
I know what you mean in this episode although I have mostly been enjoying her performance. I have heard that TV crews often film a later episode first so that by the time they film the first episode that you see, the characters are more settled in the role. Maybe this was the first one filmed?

Overall I quite enjoyed it and it wasn't as preachy as I feared it would be. I liked the way the Doctor dealt with the complaint about "you lot tearing apart our country" by announcing that she would inform Lord Mountbatten next time she saw him. Nicely done.

DrPaulLee

Abominable Snowman
"
1) Pull a face
2) Make a Bubble/Victoria Wood style quip
3) Strike an heroic pose whilst aiming the sonic screwdriver.
4) Rinse and repeat."

Does she deliver vital plot points at break neck speed? If so, we have a Tennant clone.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I am not sure how it tackled Islamic extremism? Manish was a Hindu. His beef (pardon the pun) was with Prem marrying a Muslim. Although I might have missed something.
Er, let's call it religious extremism!

How many viewers across the world didn't know a million people died in the partition before yesterday? DW seems to be going back to its roots with these historicals.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient

I know what you mean in this episode although I have mostly been enjoying her performance. I have heard that TV crews often film a later episode first so that by the time they film the first episode that you see, the characters are more settled in the role. Maybe this was the first one filmed?

Overall I quite enjoyed it and it wasn't as preachy as I feared it would be. I liked the way the Doctor dealt with the complaint about "you lot tearing apart our country" by announcing that she would inform Lord Mountbatten next time she saw him. Nicely done.
Just been perusing some of the reviews over at the BBC site and the following probably explains a lot:

”After the era of Steven Moffat’s Doctor Who, which featured often high-concept, complicated plots, showrunner Chris Chibnall has made it clear he’s keen for the show to be more easily accessible family viewing, and for it to educate children in the way it was originally intended to”

So brace yourselves for more simplistic storylines and some very specific "education" .

I agree with you that it didn't tackle islamic extremism. The jibe against Mountbatten, whose partition plan was an attempt to stop the escalating sectarian violence, seemed cheap and misguided too.

A forthcoming DW episode in this series apparently features The Doctor saving a woman accused of witchcraft from being burned at the stake.
While The Doctor was in Pakistan, couldn't she have jumped forward a few years and foiled some jihadi plots or maybe saved an innocent Christian woman from a sentence of death for "blasphemy" ?
But I suppose that sort of topicality isn't on the BBC's agenda. Looks like the degree of education in DW is going to be rather select and simplistic!