Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There Be Spoilers!)

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
I think I may need to say the following to current Dr Who
"One day, I shall come back. Yes, I shall come back. Until then, there must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties. Just go forward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine. Goodbye "

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
A line of argument I've seen cropping up a lot is that Who and 3 companions is too unwieldy. Bradley Walsh is a good enough actor to absolutely hold his own, and I agree with the idea that just Whittaker and Walsh would give the narratives more time to develop rather than scrabbling about looking for things for the youngsters to do. I get they were shoehorned in for additional juvenile empathy reasons, and they do their best, but mostly they get in the way. See how it works with a two-hander.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Well, when the series started in the 60s the Doctor had three companions, and he had three companions near the start of the 80s too, I didn't consider it a problem.

Anyway, tonight's started as The Leisure Hive Part 2 and ended up as Threads. Nice to hear Laura Fraser in her normal accent for a change. The big reveal was very Planet of the Apes (1969) and I had to laugh at our ultimate fate (it was a hollow laugh, in case you think I'm being insensitive). But science fiction is about big ideas, and I have no problem with DW giving them a go. Not my favourite episode of NuWho, but I'm still enjoying it.

gordonrutter

Staff member
Well, when the series started in the 60s the Doctor had three companions, and he had three companions near the start of the 80s too, I didn't consider it a problem.

Anyway, tonight's started as The Leisure Hive Part 2 and ended up as Threads. Nice to hear Laura Fraser in her normal accent for a change. The big reveal was very Planet of the Apes (1969) and I had to laugh at our ultimate fate (it was a hollow laugh, in case you think I'm being insensitive). But science fiction is about big ideas, and I have no problem with DW giving them a go. Not my favourite episode of NuWho, but I'm still enjoying it.
I welcome big ideas being tried, plenty of times the Tardis has been very full. But poor writing and acting I do not welcome. I think the music is brilliant, I think Bradley Walsh is excellent, I enjoyed Sacha Dhawan as the Master but as for the rest of it...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That's a heck of a lot more than a lot of TV science fiction has! Maybe we could get Alexander Armstrong to appear on Star Trek.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Fair point - maybe that should be companions with something to do. Walsh is head and shoulders better developed, scripted and played than the younger ones.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Yaz in particular seems like a hanger-on, but Ryan has the whole "reluctant dad" thing with Graham I find quite endearing.

dr wu

Doctor Prog
I have been a fan since Pertwee (went back and watched the Troughton episodes..never really have seen many of the Hartnell ones).....,after college my wife and I moved into a small apt in 1975 and one night during dinner Dr Who came on the local PBS station. It was toward the end of his run and the new Doc, Baker , started a few weeks later...I have enjoyed all of the Docs even Mc Coy who some people panned.
I like Whitaker as an actress but for some reason she just doesn't capture Dr Who for me (and I miss Capaldi...). But I did like the 2 part Spyfall.....haven't seen the newest one yet. I also feel that the Tardis is a bit crowded...and I can't say I really care for any of the current companions. I would welcome some change.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I wouldn't put too much store by that - check IMDB and you'll see the biggest movies of the past few years are littered with 1/10 reviews. Some people just aren't happy unless they're whingeing. Unfortunately they have very loud voices.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Critics' Score: 80%

Audience Score: 16%
Something strange going on over there...
Rotten Tomatoes deletes all the early user reviews for Doctor Who: Season 12

Review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes has scrubbed all the initial user reviews for season 12 of science fiction drama Doctor Who from its site.

YouTuber Sheila Allen, who previously drew attention to the Rotten Tomatoes Audience Score for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker being stuck at 86%, discovered that the Rotten Tomatoes user reviews for Doctor Who season 12 had been purged sometime between January 9 and January 11.
https://reclaimthenet.org/rotten-to...a0ZRIGHafifotfBI2lVtj73unu3YMVPlzAZ9jcOb07bdM

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Hey, that was more like it! Proper old school DW episode, lots of science buffery, Easter eggs for Nikola Tesla fans, spot of commentary on how inventors would piggyback on other's ideas if you want it, cool-looking alien queen (who was a bit Alien Queen), even Yaz got something to do. They can do the traditional stuff if they want.

Next week: The Judoon!

Peripart

Antediluvian
I thought Tesla was Kevin Kline, until I realised how old Kline is now. Then I thought maybe it was Adam Rothenburg (of Ripper Street fame). But no, it was an authentic Serbian-American - him off of ER!

I did recognise Robert Glenister, and realised I'd seen him on Who before - anyone else remember The Caves of Androzani?

gordonrutter

Staff member
Boring. Don't think I have ever fallen asleep during the first broadcast of an episode of Dr Who till now.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I thought Tesla was Kevin Kline, until I realised how old Kline is now. Then I thought maybe it was Adam Rothenburg (of Ripper Street fame). But no, it was an authentic Serbian-American - him off of ER!

I did recognise Robert Glenister, and realised I'd seen him on Who before - anyone else remember The Caves of Androzani?
Yes, he was a baddie in that one too. If Edison was strictly a baddie.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient

The Caves Of Androzani - AKA The Cleavage Of Androzani...

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Hey, that was more like it! Proper old school DW episode, lots of science buffery, Easter eggs for Nikola Tesla fans, spot of commentary on how inventors would piggyback on other's ideas if you want it, cool-looking alien queen (who was a bit Alien Queen), even Yaz got something to do. They can do the traditional stuff if they want.

Next week: The Judoon!
Agreed. Easily the best episode of the "Bubble" era.
I had to google all of Tesla's (near miss) inventions after watching that!

gordonrutter

Staff member
Yes agreed that has been the best this season but I am not sure I like where it is going.
Ruth is a pre Hartnell Doctor, or slots in between Troughton and Pertwee, we never saw that regeneration...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That's why there are three companions - the Doc needs moral support! And they're not called companions for nothing, she was all at sea without them, totally confused.

Mind you, I was pretty confused too, but in a good way, what an intriguing episode, so many questions, I was on the edge of my proverbial. Laughed at "Cheesy"! Lovely to see him again, he brings his own energy. Really nice lighthouse location, as well.

It's great they can shake up the timeline without it being totally alienating (pardon the pun), this was genuinely exciting. And they finally gave Jodie the chance to exhibit more range - bodes well.