Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There Be Spoilers!)

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Felt genuinely anxious on tonight's episode, if anything the stakes were too high and the perils insurmountable. Unless Doctor Ruth (not... that Dr Ruth) appears I don't know how Graham and Yaz survive, and you-know-who showing up at the cliffhanger was almost too much to take. It's always alright in the end with DW... but what if this time it isn't?

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Felt genuinely anxious on tonight's episode, if anything the stakes were too high and the perils insurmountable. Unless Doctor Ruth (not... that Dr Ruth) appears I don't know how Graham and Yaz survive, and you-know-who showing up at the cliffhanger was almost too much to take. It's always alright in the end with DW... but what if this time it isn't?
Graham and Yaz just piloted a ship into a Cyberman battle cruiser without using conventional weapons, or any attempt at steering and they made a perfect landing so they can pretty much do anything. Yet another miss for me this episode I’m afraid. I have generally liked the Graham character, and def liked Bradley Walsh’s performance, but I think he was poorly written on this one. And also I have loved the music this season however it seems to have been ramped up in this episode, back to the bad old Murray Gold days.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Graham and Yaz just piloted a ship into a Cyberman battle cruiser without using conventional weapons, or any attempt at steering and they made a perfect landing so they can pretty much do anything. Yet another miss for me this episode I’m afraid. I have generally liked the Graham character, and def liked Bradley Walsh’s performance, but I think he was poorly written on this one. And also I have loved the music this season however it seems to have been ramped up in this episode, back to the bad old Murray Gold days.
Wasn't it Julie Graham who did the piloting, though? G & Y just had the power diversion idea. Also, DW companions don't last on the show as long as the Doc (unless they're Clara), so they could be written out - Toisin Cole has a new job on US TV lined up soon, for example.

MorningAngel

Abominable Snowman
I thought he was going to be the damaged Cyberleader, but I don't think it's the same actor. That whole subplot was a complete puzzle!
It made my head hurt. I thought it might be him but I don’t think so now.

The last episode is call the Timeless Child maybe that was him. Maybe he was put on Earth for safety all those years and now they are getting him ready for his real life. There was a clock.

He revived from death like a certain Captain we know.

(Can I just point out he was Ginger something the Doctor has always wanted.)

Well a week to wait (and ponder). Hopefully not more.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I suppose Brendan was technically a "child" when we met him, though he didn't stay that way. Captain Jack became almost immortal when he got a blast of TARDIS energy, I seem to recall, so that might be a coincidence. And why Ireland? Questions, questions...

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Was that the first time that "warp drive" was referenced on DW?
With hat-tips to I, Borg and the Vulcan mind meld too, just wondering if this story arc was written by a confirmed Trekkie.

"Wasn't it Julie Graham ..."

Ah! Thought I recognised the woman with the outrageously heavy mascara. I recall her now from that woefull remake of Survivors.

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Nice to see the FT letter reassuring us that just because The Master had an entire run of the mag, it didn't mean the mag was for baddies, it was because the mag is for goodies and The Master was fooling the Doc by possessing such a publication. Personally, I'm relieved.

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Was that the first time that "warp drive" was referenced on DW?
With hat-tips to I, Borg and the Vulcan mind meld too, just wondering if this story arc was written by a confirmed Trekkie.

Ah! Thought I recognised the woman with the outrageously heavy mascara. I recall her now from that woefull remake of Survivors.
I thought the remake of Survivors was fairly decent, it was Bonekickers that was utter carp...

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I thought the remake of Survivors was fairly decent, it was Bonekickers that was utter carp...
Indeed. "Shitkickers" was a particularly egregious example of the BBC's pandering to "wokeness".

The brilliant original Survivors really fired my youthful imagination in the 70s. I guess a lot of viewers remembered this seminal apocalyptic drama with great fondness, as the backlash against the dreadful remake was so substantial that the BBC had no option but to cancel it.

Peripart

Antediluvian

I have to say that anything with the lovely Ms Graham is worth watching, in my opinion. She does something funny to my insides whenever I see her on screen... er, or something. Maybe it's just me!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
"Woke" began as slang among young black Americans for being aware of perilously racist situations. Within months it was an insult for white guys to bandy around on the internet for stuff they don't like.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I loathed Bonekickers. Can you expand on what was "woke" about it? @blessmycottonsocks
If I recall correctly, it pandered to the politically correct brigade in its blunt Muslims=good, Christians=bad take on the Crusades and even blamed Europeans for the slave trade whilst whitewashing Arabs.
Didn't they even reverse the facts by having a Christian "jihadi" behead a Muslim?.

Given the Wiki description of "woke" meaning "paranoia, especially about issues of racial and political justice" I suppose Bonekickers fell into that category (although the term "woke" hadn't reared its ugly head yet).

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Can it be said to be pandering if the current nuanced academic view of the crusades /is/ that the populist view isn't holding up? Or maybe that would be "woke" because it's the view of experts with lots of data, analytical skills and the ability to synthesise? The current fashion seems to be a mistrust of intellectual effort after all.

The beheading wasn't a fit subject for evening entertainment imho - doesn't matter who was doing it. One duff editorial decision seems a poor thing to use your preferred insult though? Remember that, at the time, there was a widespread belief that Christians were the "goodies" and the Muslims the "baddies". People ignored the attacks on mosques and so on, in the british isles as well as elsewhere.

Are there other things that make it "woke"? Haven't seen it since it ran but I suppose the ex boyfriend might be a cabdidate? or rather the relationship might be.

If the programme had been "woke", in your definition, they story-line wouldn't have gone near the crusades! The whole "this is the cradle of arthur" line would have been dropped too :)

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I don't know what you believe to be the populist view of the Crusades.
But I do know that they were Christendom's belated, brutal and bloodthirsty response to militant Islamic's brutal and bloodthirsty military expansionism. So had there been no Islamic imperialism, there would have been no Crusades.
Bonekickers, with its crass Muslims= good, Christians=bad ethos, presented a perverted and vaguely sinister twist on history to make political points disguised as entertainment.
This was another example of the sort of BBC manipulation Yith referred to in the What's Up At the BBC thread.
At least we can both agree that Bonekickers was a dreadful show.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
But I do know that they were Christendom's belated, brutal and bloodthirsty response to militant Islamic's brutal and bloodthirsty military expansionism. So had there been no Islamic imperialism, there would have been no Crusades.
exactly - nuanced - no side is "better" or "worse". The popular view, from listening at the library, church, volunteering etc is that it's Christians good and Muslims bad. No shades of grey.

Peripart

Antediluvian
A random half-prediction for Sunday: Sacha Darwan's Master to regenerate into John Simm.

OK, almost certainly not, but I've been trying to work out where this iteration of the Master fits into what we know of his history.

Heck, with CGI, he will probably turn into Roger Delgado...

gordonrutter

Staff member
A random half-prediction for Sunday: Sacha Darwan's Master to regenerate into John Simm.

OK, almost certainly not, but I've been trying to work out where this iteration of the Master fits into what we know of his history.

Heck, with CGI, he will probably turn into Roger Delgado...
Hey if we’re going for predictions Jodie Whitaker to regenerate.

Peripart

Antediluvian
A random half-prediction for Sunday: Sacha Darwan's Master to regenerate into John Simm...
D'oh!
I mean Derek Jacobi, of course.

It strikes me that this weekend's episode has quite a lot of stuff to cram in - the Master, Jo Martin's Doctor, Brendan, the Cybermen, the Timeless Child (who may well be one of the aforementioned) and possibly Captain Jack.

Just how long is it again?

gordonrutter

Staff member
D'oh!
I mean Derek Jacobi, of course.

It strikes me that this weekend's episode has quite a lot of stuff to cram in - the Master, Jo Martin's Doctor, Brendan, the Cybermen, the Timeless Child (who may well be one of the aforementioned) and possibly Captain Jack.

Just how long is it again?
One hour and ten minutes and why does it need to tie everything up neatly this season?

Peripart

Antediluvian
Because we probably won't see another series for 18 months, and I'm not very patient!

Anyway, I'm not demanding that it's all tied up neatly, but I'd expect most of the characters I listed to be at least mentioned this weekend.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Because we probably won't see another series for 18 months, and I'm not very patient!

Anyway, I'm not demanding that it's all tied up neatly, but I'd expect most of the characters I listed to be at least mentioned this weekend.
It's OK, it's back at Christmas and the next series starts in around a year.