Doctor Who 2 (Avast! There Be Spoilers!)

owenhere

Seven And Seven Is Number fortean
Bring back Peter Capaldi...or am I the only fan who liked him?

;)
I always thought Capaldi was a good actor (and also a terrific narrator of OU science documentaries) anyway, but his performance in the creepy "Torchwood: Children of Earth" was outstanding. And once his three-season stint as the Doctor was over, I realised just how impressive a performance that was -- the character's progression from cold-and-uncaring in Season 1 to being all-about-the-caring by the end of Season 3. Wow. A masterclass.

But I also really like Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor, though. What's with all the "Bubbles" dissing? It smacks of anti-Northerner bias. What's that all about? Lots of planets have a North. Full disclosure: my father was Bradford born and bred.

owenhere

I once read a short comic strip about Dr Who landing on a mysterious spaceship which turned out to be a troop carrier full of activating Cybermen. This was a surprise to everyone as the Cybermen were supposed to be extinct, wiped out by the ingenuity of the Human Race who had invented the "glitter gun" - a weapon firing a spray of gold that caused respiratory failure.
The Doctor was drawn a bit like Peter Davidson and I read the strip decades ago. Fast forward to the last series and I was surprised to see the Doctor landing on a mysterious spaceship ...
Wasn't that the "Return Of The Cyberman" story on BBC TV?

I was certainly reminded of that by the recent storyline.

owenhere

Right up until the reveal Me and Mrs Ident were speculating the same thing. It just seems a bit vague that The Master would commit an act of whole species genocide based on the assumption that he was a bit pissed off over The Doctor having shaped his people and society. The motivation isn't quite right. It's iffy.
Leaving aside the difficulty of interpreting the psychology of any alien beings (or for that matter other human beings. Or let's face it, sometimes me myself I), the Master has often revealed himself as a total psychopath, including at times an almost Thanos-like nihilism. He's Just An Excitable Boy (or Girl).

Note to self: I really must stop posting on social media.

owenhere

Not at all. He's my favourite among the "new" Doctors, just a shame he wasn't always given the best material to work with. Tennant, Smith were fine, Eccleston only did one year (which I enjoyed), but Capaldi really seemed to blend the best of the various incarnations, including a decent chunk of Tom Baker, which has got to be a good thing.

I still find myself wondering, though, about the missed opportunity that was Paul McGann... one slightly dodgy movie, 6 minutes of prologue to the 50th anniversary story, and he still owned the role whenever he was on screen.
It was indeed unfortunate that that midAtlantic mess didn't lead to a proper BBC series. Terrific actor, terrible story and script. It seemed clear that the American producers (was it Fox?) had no understanding whatever of Doctor Who, or indeed British TV traditions. I can imagine the script meeting. "What kind of BS is this? Call yourself a scriptwriter? There isn't even a car chase here. The hero never gets to kiss the girl. There's no fist-fight between the goodie and the baddie. Jesus. Total rewrite. I want a mass gang-fight with automatic weapons in the first five minutes. Now, get out of my office. Frigging amateurs."

On the other hand, Big Finish have done hundreds of McGann audios now.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Bring back Peter Capaldi...or am I the only fan who liked him?
Not at all. He's my favourite among the "new" Doctors, just a shame he wasn't always given the best material to work with. Tennant, Smith were fine, Eccleston only did one year (which I enjoyed), but Capaldi really seemed to blend the best of the various incarnations, including a decent chunk of Tom Baker, which has got to be a good thing.
Mine too - he had the necessary alien-ness but empathy too. Just different enough to be non-human, but simultaneously more humanitarian than anyone around him.
I always thought Capaldi was a good actor (and also a terrific narrator of OU science documentaries) anyway, but his performance in the creepy "Torchwood: Children of Earth" was outstanding. And once his three-season stint as the Doctor was over, I realised just how impressive a performance that was -- the character's progression from cold-and-uncaring in Season 1 to being all-about-the-caring by the end of Season 3. Wow. A masterclass.
It was amazing. He's easily the most capable actor to have played the Doctor (certainly since the reboot), and as Peripart said above he prevailed often despite the script. I can't help thinking that, much as I like Whittaker as an actress, had Capaldi been the one at the end of this series having to make an awful choice he'd have dragged us along in a way that Jodie couldn't.

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Children of Earth was one of the most terrifying pieces of television I've ever seen (I'm not good at horror/suspense, so I have to add that I don't watch much). I rate Peter Capadli as an actor anyway, but that was just amazing. Loved his Doctor too.

I like Jodie Whittaker, have yet to watch the most recent seaason - but worry that her Doctor has turned too reliant on the sonic screwdriver to resolve things. I like my Doctor to be superfast intelligent, not 'point, scrutinise, solve'.

owenhere

Children of Earth was one of the most terrifying pieces of television I've ever seen (I'm not good at horror/suspense, so I have to add that I don't watch much). I rate Peter Capadli as an actor anyway, but that was just amazing. Loved his Doctor too.

I like Jodie Whittaker, have yet to watch the most recent seaason - but worry that her Doctor has turned too reliant on the sonic screwdriver to resolve things. I like my Doctor to be superfast intelligent, not 'point, scrutinise, solve'.
I think I've enjoyed the most recent series (even) more than JW's first, but I too am none too keen on the Sonic turning into a magic wand. That tendency has been going on for decades now, though (the production team broke Peter Davison's precisely to avoid that becoming the norm). I liked that prop more when it was very basic - it could vibrate locks open or explode landmines etc. But on t'other hand, it's not unreasonable that technology would evolve. I mean, it does, doesn't it? Not of its own accord, but then, neither does life. And super technology ought to evolve superbly, I suppose. I did enjoy it when (I think) the 11th Doctor first had a brand-new Sonic pop out of the Tardic (good typo, that - I think I'll retain it as the adjective from 'TARDIS') console to replace his lost/broken one.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Apparently there's a mass watching of The Day of the Doctor going on right now, but if you're too late for that, you can still watch a brand new scene added specially for the viewing:
New video at this link!

Written by Steven Moffat, no expense has been spared. Well, it made me laugh, anyway.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
That's really sweet and thoughtful, considering how DW is still a hero (heroine) to children. Apparently Jodie got a lot of stick from cu- er, curmudgeons for doing this, but I think it was great, who cares what the haters think anymore if it cheers up the kids?

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
Streaming now :

Time Space Visualiser is a one-day event streamed across the internet allowing every Doctor Who fan to join in across the world from the comfort of their living rooms for FREE! Fantom will be streaming archival interviews and brand-new material; together with social interaction with viewers and your chance to win some amazing prizes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMFWO7i0gQBA37XTgY43Zrw/live