• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

One hopes - however scary he might seem! - that he knows how to fly the Tardis by this stage! :lol:

They've been denying that he'll go Malcolm Tucker in the role, but there's hope:
Armando Iannucci: “I Want To Write A ‘Doctor Who’ Episode”
By Fraser McAlpine | Posted on September 4th, 2013

We already know that comedy writers make good Doctor Who writers – Douglas Adams, Mark Gatiss, Richard Curtis, to name but three – so amid all the global hoo-hah over whether Peter Jackson will get to direct an episode, let’s spare a moment to create our own little extra hoo-hah (technically a Who-hah) over the possibility that Armando Iannucci might one day get to write one.

It’s not the worst idea in the world, given his track record at creating realistic situations of political jeopardy in The Thick of It and Veep, that have a strong undercurrent of comedy. And it’s not as if he has no experience of writing words that sound good coming out of Peter Capaldi’s mouth.

Granted, a lot of the words he’s used in the past would be entirely unsuitable for the Doctor, but it’s not as if there aren’t other ones he can use instead. There are a lot of words.

And he’s keen, according to What’s On TV. Here’s how he reacted when the question was put to him:

“I’d love to! Steven Moffat hasn’t asked me, but it would be great because I love sci-fi and I grew up with Doctor Who as well.

“I was so pleased when I heard that Peter had got the role. He had a part in the show a few years back and he told me that when he went on set and saw the TARDIS, he nearly cried! He’s a massive fan.”
http://www.bbcamerica.com/anglophenia/2 ... o-episode/

I'd be interested to see what Iannucci would come up with.

Hadn't heard about Peter Jackson directing. No doubt a seven hour long epic filmed in New Zealand somewhere.

This sounds promising...
  • Ben Wheatley: "Oh yeah, Doctor Who is pretty dark, I think. Generally it's dark, it's always been dark. Even in the more modern ones. If you look at the Tom Baker stuff, it's especially dark. When he leaves Leela — who's a very beloved assistant — he just laughs after it. There's none of the [breaking down and crying]. He just laughs, and "on to the next one," you know. It's a bonkers show. It's a monster. To have a unity that runs eight years [of the new series]… it's pretty crazy. They've done everything, they've tried all sorts of stuff. It seems to me the episodes that we're doing now seem more like classic Who. We're going back to that style. But you'll have to wait and see."
http://io9.com/doctor-who-director-says ... 1515244187

sherbetbizarre said:
It seems to me the episodes that we're doing now seem more like classic Who. We're going back to that style. But you'll have to wait and see

I do hope so, let's move away from 'A day in the life of the doctor' and return to 'situation that requires resolution and the doctor is there and attempts to resolve it'.

a couple of months ago said:
..A friend explained to me how Tom Baker's cameo at the end could make sense, but I wasn't too keen on the idea that other iterations of Who could just go and retire after regeneration. Maybe I misunderstood but that seemed like bending the rules.
I watched it again last night. Smith is told an old man his looking for him - Clara thinks he's "the curator". Smith muses to himself that he'd like to maybe one day retire and become a curator. As if by magic, the shopkeeper.. or rather Tom Baker appears and says something along the lines of "As you go on, you may find yourself revisiting some old faces" - implying he could regenerate back into forms he'd had previously. Also allows Baker to imply to Smith that he has more regenerations than he thought. So in fact Baker could actually be the Doctor's very last incarnation, from way into the future - he's retired, to keep an eye on the artefacts. Which is nice.
Heckler20 said:
I do hope so, let's move away from 'A day in the life of the doctor' and return to 'situation that requires resolution and the doctor is there and attempts to resolve it'.
And doesn't involve him re-writing his own immediate history every week. Takes away the jeopardy when you know Moffat will just hit reset and pretend it never happened. That just relegates it to uber-lame "It was all a dream" territory - the Doctor's always better when he has consequences to have to live with.

stuneville said:
I watched it again last night. Smith is told an old man his looking for him - Clara thinks he's "the curator". Smith muses to himself that he'd like to maybe one day retire and become a curator.
And, indeed, he had a warrant from Liz I appointing him curator.
As if by magic, the shopkeeper.. or rather Tom Baker appears and says something along the lines of "As you go on, you may find yourself revisiting some old faces" - implying he could regenerate back into forms he'd had previously. Also allows Baker to imply to Smith that he has more regenerations than he thought. So in fact Baker could actually be the Doctor's very last incarnation, from way into the future - he's retired, to keep an eye on the artefacts. Which is nice.
That's pretty much my reading on it, too. Tom was playing a late regeneration of the Doctor, who's taken up his post as curator of the under-gallery to while away his twilight centuries.

And, yeah, Moffat has been editing his own canon a bit too much. He needs to sort out the backstory, and stick to it for a bit longer than half a season.

Briefly met Peter Davison at the Sydney signing yesterday (got my copy of Castrovalva signed) - they crowd to see him were bigger than the one in Brisbane...

DrWhiteface said:
Briefly met Peter Davison at the Sydney signing yesterday (got my copy of Castrovalva signed) - they crowd to see him were bigger than the one in Brisbane...

I was there, too. Got my copy of The Five Doctors signed.

Just bought The Eight Doctors novel in a charity shop for fifty cents. Looking forward to reading it!

Life imitating Art imitating Life...

Police 'Tardis'-style contact point for Boscombe precinct ready by Spring
6:00am Friday 28th February 2014 in News By Will Frampton

BOSCOMBE’S long-awaited police box is under construction and will be in place in the precinct by the end of spring.
Based on the design of the original 1929 police box, but built with steel rather than concrete, the promised police contact point and tourist attraction is being built by AMK Industries in Christchurch.

The box, which will be regularly staffed by police officers and PCSOs during day-time hours, has been funded through sponsorship from local businesses and organisations.

Neighbourhood Inspector Chris Weeks said: “About two-and-a-half years ago the community informed us that they were concerned about levels of crime and disorder in the precinct.
“We felt it was essential to have a police presence there in a permanent position.”

At present, a police community van parks outside McDonald’s at the western end of the precinct on Thursdays and Saturdays, when the area is at its busiest.
Inspector Weeks said the van had been a great help in reducing crime and anti-social behaviour in the area, and was also an important contact point for the public to air their concerns to officers.

“This police box adds the potential to change the demographics of the area,” he said.
“It is an opportunity to attract families and tourists into the area, which will obviously be a benefit to local businesses, and I think the public like to see the police on patrol.”

The two-tonne Tardis-like box, designed by architect James Roberts of Anders Roberts and Associates, will have a yellow phone so people can contact police when the box isn’t manned.

Police boxes were first introduced in the UK in 1891, and by 1953 there were 685 in London alone.
They were phased out in 1969 and a Metropolitan Police box outside Earl’s Court underground station is currently the only operational box in the country.

Sergeant Chris Amey added: “We would like to thank all those companies and organisations that have donated sponsorship – they are as keen as we are to help make a difference in Boscombe.”

To see the progress on the box follow @dorsetpolice on Twitter.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/NEWS/11043369.Police__Tardis__style_contact_point_for_Boscombe_precinct_ready_by_Spring/?ref=rss

I've been watching the new Web of Fear DVD this week, and though the consensus was that Enemy of the World was the real gem out of the two rediscovered stories, I'm enjoying this one even more. I'm up to episode four, which was really excellent, like John Carpenter's The Thing set in the London Underground. I obviously haven't seen the first story to feature the Yeti, but as that was set in Tibet that might be even more Thing-like.

It's a pity one episode wasn't found because the still photos don't do it justice in the reconstruction, but don't let that put you off getting this if you think you'd like it. It really is great.

gncxx said:
I've been watching the new Web of Fear DVD this week, and though the consensus was that Enemy of the World was the real gem out of the two rediscovered stories, I'm enjoying this one even more. I'm up to episode four, which was really excellent, like John Carpenter's The Thing set in the London Underground. I obviously haven't seen the first story to feature the Yeti, but as that was set in Tibet that might be even more Thing-like.

It's a pity one episode wasn't found because the still photos don't do it justice in the reconstruction, but don't let that put you off getting this if you think you'd like it. It really is great.

Yes, the missing third episode replaced with audio and still pictures threw me off. If they can use animation for The Invasion and The Ice Warriors, why couldn't they have used animation for this one missing episode?

DrWhiteface said:
Yes, the missing third episode replaced with audio and still pictures threw me off. If they can use animation for The Invasion and The Ice Warriors, why couldn't they have used animation for this one missing episode?

One of speed to animate it would have meant a long wait before it would be released. If you believe some of the rumours you just have to wait until the special edition comes out with episode three intact :)

Gordon

gordonrutter said:
One of speed to animate it would have meant a long wait before it would be released. If you believe some of the rumours you just have to wait until the special edition comes out with episode three intact :)

That would be just typical, wouldn't it?! Anyway, I've just finished the story and it was definitely one of the strongest of the sixties ones, though I'm well disposed towards the Second Doctor.

But what of the rumours still spreading of other stories being "sat on" by the collectors which they also found in Africa? Anything to them, or wishful thinking?

gncxx said:
That would be just typical, wouldn't it?! Anyway, I've just finished the story and it was definitely one of the strongest of the sixties ones, though I'm well disposed towards the Second Doctor.

But what of the rumours still spreading of other stories being "sat on" by the collectors which they also found in Africa? Anything to them, or wishful thinking?

I loved episode two, it was very well made and I saw episode 4 on the big screen and it looked awesome.

As to other episodes,, and I believe well Phil Morris has been looking for more and the rumour is that a full announcement will appear when he has finished. The logic being that he may find duplicates of episodes so they will be able to use the best quality one for release. Also by not saying what has been recovered it may "encourage" collectors who are holding onto episodes to return them as by waiting their value will be decreased.

If you want to take a punt I would put money on the next missing episodes release (as it were) being Marco Polo, with more to come and I do believe it is a lot more to come, :)

Gordon

Fantastic news, thanks. Wouldn't mind a Dalek one, myself.

OMG; the Omnirumour has spread here now? It's taking over the internet!

There are a lot of rumbles about Power of the Daleks being one of the recovered stories.

Fluttermoth said:
OMG; the Omnirumour has spread here now? It's taking over the internet!

There are a lot of rumbles about Power of the Daleks being one of the recovered stories.

Well it is a thread about Dr Who so it would be a bit strange not to mention it at least in passing...

Good times ahead. Hopefully. And even if they're not we have good times now as we have nine episodes to watch that we didn't have last year.

Don't take this the wrong way - I like and watch new Who but I would rather have a single returned episode than an entire new season.

Gordon

There may be some rumourspoilers in here.....

Is a major villain returning to Doctor Who?

Has Sylvester McCoy let slip that a major villain is returning to Doctor Who series 8? Potential spoilers ahead...

Warning: contains potential spoilers for a returning character in Doctor Who series eight.

The whispers about this one have been doing the fan community rounds for a while now, part hopeful wish and part rumour: is The Master returning to Doctor Who in series eight?

Oh yes, says Sylvester McCoy, who was reported to have let the 'news' slip at a recent Newcastle Film and Comic Con panel. And what's more, says McCoy, John Simm's role has already been recast. McCoy didn't reveal who he claims would be playing The Master, save for saying that the actor is "very scary".

Our hands currently overspilling with clutched-straws, could this possibly tally with the rumour that Michael Smiley is to appear in series eight as "Colonel Blue"? Nobody who's seen Smiley's previous work with director Ben Wheatley could deny that "very scary" is well within his wheelhouse. Doctor Who TV has cited Game Of Thrones' Charles Dance as another unsubstantiated possibility.

Without wishing to cast aspersions on the honesty or accuracy of McCoy's words, it's worth saying that he's a man with a healthy sense of humour and at present all this remains firmly in the rumour category. If it were to be confirmed though, and Capaldi's Doctor is due to face The Master in series eight, we hope you'll join us in a mass geek shiver...

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-who/29641/is-a-major-villain-returning-to-doctor-who

Watched Ghost Light, again, last week. I missed most of McCoy's time as the Doctor first time around, but he seems to have been on top form during the last of the classic series. A darker, more enigmatic, Doctor in a strange sometimes confusing story. The hints that there might be more to Ace and her developing backstory really seem to presage the new series.

Weirdly satisfying. :)

gordonrutter said:
Well it is a thread about Dr Who so it would be a bit strange not to mention it at least in passing...
Ah! Good point!

Good times ahead. Hopefully. And even if they're not we have good times now as we have nine episodes to watch that we didn't have last year.

Don't take this the wrong way - I like and watch new Who but I would rather have a single returned episode than an entire new season.

Gordon
Yeah, I have to agree; I find 'Nu Who' a great example of style over substance.

We need more Troughton! And Marco Polo, which seems to be one of the more definite finds, thank goodness (although it will be odd seeing it in B&W; the recon I have uses coloured telesnaps!).

Michael Smiley in Doctor Who would be great. I can picture him dancing to the Tardis whooshing noise.

Doctor Who Tardis-style police box unveiled in Boscombe
[video - looked like a fun day!]

A police box similar to that made famous in the television series Doctor Who has opened to the public.
The Tardis-style box on Boscombe's precinct on Christchurch Road, Dorset, was unveiled by Bournemouth East MP Tobias Ellwood at 11:30 BST.

Dorset Police said it would act as a visible presence to tackle crime, as well as being a tourist attraction.
The force said the steel-framed box was one of only two operational boxes in the country - the other is in London.

It added that it would be staffed by police and community support officers "as much as is operationally possible" during precinct trading hours.
When unstaffed, a yellow telephone attached to the box can be used by members of the public to contact officers.

Mr Ellwood said: "Boscombe has had its challenges with anti-social behaviour but it is a vibrant community.
"The box itself is now a fantastic, iconic symbol of a desire by the police and the community to be very optimistic about where this part of Bournemouth is going."

The project, which has attracted attention from Doctor Who fans, was funded by donations from local firms.
Mr Ellwood said: "I couldn't help but notice that many in the crowd were dressed up as Doctor Who figures - there was even a Dalek there." 8)

Before it was unveiled, Tony Tester, chair of Dorset Police Federation, tweeted: "Off to the launch of the new police box this morning by car not time travel. #boscombepolicebox".

The box's design is based on the distinctive 1929 version created for the Metropolitan Police and made world famous by the television series.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-26935540

For those London based Who fans....

LINK

Dr Who: the first 50 years

Wednesday, 16th Apr 2014 8:00 pm - 9:30 pm

Talk by Andrew Cartmel, former script editor of Doctor Who

Andrew Cartmel, who was the script editor on Dr Who for its last three series, gives his perspectives on the first 50 years of the programme.

Andrew Gardner, whose father worked on Dr Who from 1963 to 1967, will speak briefly on why much of the BBC archive is missing and on efforts to put it back together again.

Islington Archaeology & History Society event

Having posted about the new 'Doctor Who' police box in Boscombe earlier today, I was surprised to see another one 'in the wild' in Perranporth this afternoon. I was riding past on a bus, when I saw the box on the balcony of a house overlooking the main road.

What are the chances of that happening, eh? ;)

(Although I had my camera with me, the bus was going too fast for me to switch it on and get a shot.)

Frank Skinner to star in Doctor Who

Comedian Frank Skinner is to take a guest star role in the forthcoming series of Doctor Who.
Skinner will appear in one episode of series eight - the first with Peter Capaldi playing the Doctor.

The Room 101 presenter, a longtime fan of the show, said he was "beyond excited" at being given the role.
"It's no secret that Frank's been pitching vigorously to get into Doctor Who for a while," said the show's executive producer, Steven Moffat.
"He's been volunteering to be 'third monster on the left' as long as I've been in this job." :D
"But now, in Jamie Mathieson's sparkling script, we finally have a part that can showcase all of Frank's famous wit and charm. Hopefully he'll get out of my garden now."

Mathieson, a writer on Being Human, said that writing for Skinner was "very cool" - as the comedian had inspired his own career.
"I was a stand-up for a living for quite a few years," Mathieson wrote on his blog.
"When I was trying to figure out how to do it in 1996, his first two stand up videos were part of my boot camp, so there is a nice synchronicity for me to be writing lines for him to deliver nearly twenty years later."

As yet, no details of the character Skinner will play have been revealed.
He previously appeared in the one-off comedy homage The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, where he played a Dalek operator.

Currently, the comedian is touring the UK with his stand-up show Frank Skinner: Man in a Suit. He also hosts BBC One's Room 101 and the Saturday morning Breakfast Show on Absolute Radio - for which he won a Radio Academy Award earlier this week.

Talking about his role in Doctor Who, Skinner said: "I love this show.
"I subscribe to Doctor Who magazine, I've got a Tardis ringtone, a five-foot cardboard Dalek in my bedroom and - when I got the call saying they wanted me to read for the part, I was in the back of my tour bus watching episode three of The Sensorites." 8)

He joins other previously announced guest stars including Samuel Anderson, Ben Miller and Keeley Hawes.
The new series will begin this autumn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27441329

If Frank's writing his own jokes, this might be the first post-watershed episode.

Back