• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

But the, the way Colin Baker tells it, he had some of the more annoying traits - stupid clothes, and the Doctor's constantly irritable behaviour - thrust upon him, with very little say in the matter. It's almost as if JNT was trying to get the show pulled (and some think that that's exactly what he was doing). In some of CB's later tales, if you turned the colour down, his Doctor was showing some definite signs of improvement.

Doctors I didn't like: Colin Baker, Peter Davidson and Sylvester McCoy.
Those were the years when I didn't watch much Who.

Doctors I didn't like: Colin Baker, Peter Davidson and Sylvester McCoy.
Those were the years when I didn't watch much Who.

I agree on the wet vet (Davidson) - who was only rolled in for the female market - but then the show recovered (although I only discovered this in retrospect, as I too had stopped watching by that time). Colin Baker is a very thoughtful actor with a great presence. The turning of the Doctor into something more ascerbic, and anti-heroic, was very bold and ahead of it's time. I believe it was Colin's idea - and was conceived as a return to how the Doctor had originally been conceived of during the Hartnell period.There was also a long term plan to make him more likeable as the show proceeded (rather like Darcy in `Pride and Prejudice`)- but this got stubbed off.

The polychromatic suit of many colours was JNT's idea and clearly a mistake, and one which which has lot to answer for.

Colin Baker went onto to do some great audios as `The Stranger`, a concept which soon developed it's own unique momentum.An intelligent, and nice man - don't knock him!

The Seventh doctor was also damned interesting, but let down by production values. I'd say Mcoy was -potentially - the best of the lot: gentle and mysterious in equal measure.

I haven't liked a single Doctor since that time - although Eccleston did make a daring attempt at a working-class Doctor!

Don't get me wrong - I like these actors both as people and as actors. I just felt that they were miscast.
McCoy I thought was not a convincing actor as the Doctor, but he has improved since then.

Didn't like CB. I thought Davison was very good. He'd was also in A very Peculiar Practice. I think he did the old head on a young body/ stuffy school teacher-doctor really well.

I think McCoy was very good, considering the shocking material. Very dark, could have been one of the best.

Matt 'Fez' Smith for me. And I hated Amy Pond. Tennant was great. Almost as good as Tom Baker. Speaking of Matt Smith.... Has he been seen lately?

Matt Smith is probably my favourite Doc of the modern era, I thought he nailed it. Nice to see him doing so well for himself since - Eccleston was in the latest episode of Brian Pern and very funny, but that was the only place I'd seen him in ages.

Matt Smith is probably my favourite Doc of the modern era, I thought he nailed it. Nice to see him doing so well for himself since - Eccleston was in the latest episode of Brian Pern and very funny, but that was the only place I'd seen him in ages.

He's been looking after his Dad - another case of Dementia, I'm saddened to say.

A new biopic, based on the life of photographer Robert Mapplethorpe, has been in the works for a while and now two of the key roles have been cast.

Mapplethorpe will be played by one-time Doctor Who actor Matt Smith whilst Patti Smith – a close friend of Mapplethorpe’s – will be played by Mad Men and Girls‘ Zosia Mamet.
patti-smith-robert-mapplethorpe-755x515.jpg

http://crackmagazine.net/article/ne...-cast-as-robert-mapplethorpe-and-patti-smith/

Doctor Who: Christopher Eccleston 50th anniversary storyboards appear
Ultimately, Eccleston opted not to return and Moffat invented John Hurt’s War Doctor instead. But now, thanks to storyboard artist Andrew Wildman – who worked on the anniversary special – we’ve got an idea of what the episode would have looked like with Eccleston in it. He's released these early storyboards online...
http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/doctor-...eccleston-50th-anniversary-storyboards-appear

For you fans of the Doctor who are London-centric there's a cool little exhibition happening at the end of April at the Cartoon Museum.

28th April - 11th May

An exhibition of original cover artwork to coincide with the reissue of these iconic books. Featuring over 30 pieces, including the covers from six of the new reissues, this is the first time that the artwork has been publicly exhibited. The exhibition will also include over ten covers by Chris Achilleos from The Daleks through to Revenge of the Cybermen, over 15 covers by Andrew Skilleter from Destiny of the Daleks through to The Mark of the Rani and other classic and well-loved original cover artwork such by Roy Knipe, Jeff Cummins, David McAlister and Tony Masero.

Out for Record Store Day this Saturday...

Doctor Who - Genesis Of The Daleks
Format: LP
Label: Demon Records

More Info: Demon Records are proud to present the 2016 Vinyl Reissue of Doctor Who: Genesis Of The Daleks on 180g heavy weight 70s Tardis Blue coloured vinyl.

This was one of the first true Doctor Who Audio adventures, a condensed soundtrack version of the TV episode with Tom Baker (Doctor Who) brought in specially to do the bridging narration. Listen as Doctor Who travels to the desolate planet Skaro where he has been brought by the Time Lord to avert the creation of the Daleks

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-releases/rsd-2016/doctor-who/

OST - DR WHO AND THE DALEKS
Format: 2LP, 750 numbered, yellow vinyl
Label:Silva Screen

More Info: Never before released on vinyl, are these two lovingly restored soundtracks to the only big screen Doctor Who films ever made - the 1965 release DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS and 1966 DALEKS: INVASION EARTH 2150 A.D. . The music was composed by Malcom Lockyer (DR. WHO AND THE DALEKS) and Bill McGuffie (DALEKS: INVASION EARTH 2150 A.D.) with sections enhanced by electronic sounds created by Barry Gray, famed for his work with Gerry Anderson. The album also includes contemporary single releases and a gatefold sleeve featuring memorabilia, including the original poster artwork and detailed production notes.

http://recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-releases/rsd-2016/ost-1/

Last edited:
So what do we think of the new companion? Difficult to tell in two minutes, but erm, she was kind of annoying. Maybe she's a parody of the companion role of asking all the questions the Doc needs to answer to keep the plots going? It's early days, I'll try not to judge too harshly.

If she is, at any point, described as 'sassy', there may be murder committed. I fear it's only a matter of time.

I wasn't bowled over, but we'll see next year, I suppose. I also try very hard not to judge until I've seen at least two or three episodes :)

I just hope Mary Sue isn't a more appropriate name than Bill. (surname Piper?)

Oh yeah, she's an irritating companion.

I missed the "big reveal", but surely she can't be at Donna levels of irritating?

She probably is... it's only a 2 min clip, but Bill seems to embody the worst of RTD's era companions, rather than the best of Moff's...

I missed the "big reveal", but surely she can't be at Donna levels of irritating?
Nothing could ever be THAT irritating. However, we haven't been shown enough to decide.

Thanks for that. Either that scene was especially filmed just to introduce the new girl to us (in which case, quite annoying), or else it was part of a proper episode (in which case, why are we waiting until 2017?). Whatever, it wasn't the finest 2 minutes of Who I've ever seen.

And what were the Beeb playing at, showing this in the middle of a football match? Ridiculous!

And what were the Beeb playing at, showing this in the middle of a football match? Ridiculous!
Yes...I do think that Doctor Who fans and football fans tend to be separate groups of people (although there may be some overlap).
I still haven't forgiven the Beeb for messing up the Doctor Who schedule many years ago, when football matches would overrun their time and the Who episode would be cancelled.

Yes - it's not that I dislike football, and if I'd been in, I'd probably have watched the match, but even for me, the FA Cup seems an entirely inappropriate place to show a trailer for Dr Who. To my mind, programmes should only be interrupted by something unrelated if there's something of national importance to show. Much as I enjoy Dr Who, it doesn't fit that bill!

What next - will they stop Masterchef midway through to trail the new series of Teletubbies?

It's hard to tell what the new companion is like based on this short advert, but I hope for an improvement. Any word on a Christmas special for this year? (Hopefully without the silly seasonal headgear!)

Back