• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Watching paint dry is more interesting than Dawson's Creek!

I've just seen the pictures of the first books in the Dr Who/Mr Men mash-up series. They look great fun, but then I guess I'm in exactly the right demographic to fall for something amusingly silly like that!

I take it Arrow picks up then? I know I've been spoilt by the Marvel Netflix shows, but so far Arrow has mainly been a load of rich underwear models moaning about stuff! Like a slightly more interesting Dawson's Creek.
It has its moments, although the central characters have a tendency towards stupidity at times. And everyone keeps finding the secret lair. (Though the one in The Flash has a revolving door, and apparently no security.)

It mostly suffers from wanting to be a young, edgy Batman series, though. Not in the same way Gotham is, it's more about the adventures of a rich kid trying to avenge his father by dressing up in garish costumes and beating up criminals. Gotham is a bit more about how you eventually wind up with a guy dressed as a bat beating up a guy dressed as a penguin while the police commissioner watches in admiration.

Class is now on BBC Three, the first two episodes. I thought the first one was your average Scooby-Doo gang business with a UK twist until the Doctor turned up. Made me think too often I take Peter Capaldi for granted, he energised the whole thing (some nice lines helped, like the football observation). It certainly made the second episode seem better knowing it had the Doc's endorsement.

It's still a monster of the week show, I can't believe they made it too violent for kids (maybe they'll watch it anyway), and it might get a bit samey stuck in the school for the whole series, but I rather enjoyed it. The sarcastic alien teacher is a lot of fun.

Oh, and nice Clara reference for the Doctor to pause and wonder for a second...

Yeah, Clara and Danny Pink were a nice touch...

Third episode in and what with the time rift and the gay sex, this is starting to look more like Torchwood than Doctor Who.

Not quite as unsettling as the original theme, but still good!

Very good, but it put John Hurt in the wrong place in the credits, just after Christopher Eccleston! I'll forgive the omission of Richard Hurndall...

But still, an excellently imaginative take on the Dr Who theme.

Better to have that as a single DW episode than no episodes for a year (or twenty five!)

Just rewatched the 11ths regeneration the other night. Still disappointed in it. Peter Capaldi is a great Doctor and Matt Smith is still my fave but they handled the regeneration poorly I think

OK, so that was Class. Started out promisingly but ended up just too bloody sorry for itself, what a miserable lot. The cliffhanger introduction of an old DW enemy suggests they're optimistic about a second series, anyone know if there will be one? I'm kind of doubting it, and expecting the plotline to be resolved in actual DW next year.

Thought it was very good dealt with some serious issues while playing games with the young adult format-also some clever monsters - thought the carnivorous cherry blossom was great!

OK, so that was Class. Started out promisingly but ended up just too bloody sorry for itself, what a miserable lot. The cliffhanger introduction of an old DW enemy suggests they're optimistic about a second series, anyone know if there will be one? I'm kind of doubting it, and expecting the plotline to be resolved in actual DW next year.
Has DW been on recently?
Have I missed something?

Thought it was very good dealt with some serious issues while playing games with the young adult format-also some clever monsters - thought the carnivorous cherry blossom was great!

I was quite enjoying it until the episode where they were all stuck in detention and then I realised what a bunch of grumps they were. Mind you, The Breakfast Club would have been enlivened by a magic meteorite.

Class is a DW spin-off that's been on BBC Three for the past 8 weeks. It was OK. The Doc was in it briefly.
Missed that. Mind you, I never look at BBC3.

Take Doctor Who, mix it with Superman the Movie and Invasion of the Bodysnatchers et voila, one Christmas special! Really enjoyed this, sufficient good laughs, a spot of pathos, amusingly unlikely/fitting denouement, baddies vanquished (er... maybe) and Christmas saved. Thought the superhero made a more convincing nanny, mind you.

The trailer for next time, why does the new companion remind me of Ace, in demeanour if not looks? Is that a good idea?

Yes, excellent all round. It moved at a cracking pace, with a plot that was complicated but not completely baffling. And anything that panders to my fear of heights is sure to grab my attention!

Yeah, the pace, I could hardly believe it had been on an hour, it flew by.

I enjoyed it. I was rather hoping Osgood would be the new companion though.

Just a thought but does anyone think Simon Pegg would do well in the role after Capaldi?

Simon Pegg was a baddie in the first series after they brought it back. Mind you, Capaldi was in it before his debut as the Doc, so...

I switched it off about 30 minutes in. I too thought it couldn't have a been a one hour episode, that first half seemed like a lifetime of wishy washy derviative (no hiding behind homage) yawn.

Perhaps Sky might make a better job of this nowadays.

</heresy> ;) <<<<

I switched it off about 30 minutes in. I too thought it couldn't have a been a one hour episode, that first half seemed like a lifetime of wishy washy derviative (no hiding behind homage) yawn.

Perhaps Sky might make a better job of this nowadays.

</heresy> ;) <<<<
Your critique lacks impact when it uses a word like derviative! :p

Er hang on.....
Why didn't the Doctor then go back from the point where he met the boy and give the crystal to River instead?

Can't mess with the timeline! When you gotta go, you gotta go!

Back