• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Hey, TV (and film) people! Instead of sticking women in male roles and patting yourselves on the back for your amazing gender inclusiveness why not produce new programmes with lead characters who are women in the first place? :mad:

Hey, TV (and film) people! Instead of sticking women in male roles and patting yourselves on the back for your amazing gender inclusiveness why not produce new programmes with lead characters who are women in the first place? :mad:
*ahem*
'No offence'
'Unforgotten'

Damn right! Making male characters female can work out fine, the Battlestar Galactica reboot for instance, but you'll never shift that feeling of pandering when there are so few iconic sci-fi leads who are female. You get more in horror.

Although obviously the next Doctor should be played by a cat.

Keith Richards!

(He wouldn't need to regenerate, either, just live forever).

For the avoidance of doubt...
  • On the day after tomorrow (Mon 6/2/17)
  • Via DAB or internet radio
  • Tom Baker back as The Doctor in a special radio short series
http://blogtorwho.com/doctor-who-serpent-crest-audio-series-debuts-on-bbc-radio-4-extra-next-week/
"Beginning Monday, February 6th, Radio Four Extra will be broadcasting the Doctor Who BBC audio book series Serpent Crest, in 10 parts. Written by Paul Magrs it stars Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor, Richard Franklin as Captain Mike Yates and Susan Jameson as Mrs Wibbsey".

I worked out a way for McGann to come back.

The episode would open with snoring in the TARDIS. We get to the Doctor's bedroom and he sits bolt upright, clutching his head and mumbling "What a terrible nightmare!"

Or he could step out of the shower...

I worked out a way for McGann to come back.

The episode would open with snoring in the TARDIS. We get to the Doctor's bedroom and he sits bolt upright, clutching his head and mumbling "What a terrible nightmare!"

Or he could step out of the shower...

Or they could simply film a few of the 8th Doctor's missing adventures...

Open on a sparking and broken Tardis console. Around it lie 4 prostrate figures on the floor. One by one they wake up. First Sue Perkins. 'Wow, what a party'. Second Helena Bonham Carter. 'Does my goth look big in this?' Then Tilda Swinton. 'I'm clearly the odd one out here'.
'I beg to differ.' Eddie Izzard rises to his high-heeled feet and adjusts his pink beret.

A voice-over echoes through the Tardis 'There can be only one. Audience. Phone the number or use the WhoApp to choose X-Who noooooooow!

Actually there's a theory going around that Kris Marshall didn't leave his island cop vehicle Death in Paradise for nothing.

Is there a point in having a female character if they don't act like a female character? The new Starbuck was probably as masculine as the original.

The rumour is that Ray Winstone is going to be the next Bridget Jones.

Didn't he already play the original? oh, wait, I always get Winston and Zellweger mixed up!!

Is there a point in having a female character if they don't act like a female character? The new Starbuck was probably as masculine as the original.
New Starbuck would have kicked old Starbuck's arse in a fight.

Ooooh. How about Sean Pertwee? Wouldn't that keep everyone happy?
You'd have to create a version that was as little like his dad as possible. Although, if you've seen him cosplay as his father, he does carry it off quite well.

There are a few lists floating around on YouTube, one of them proposed Chiwetel Ejiofor, which I think is a bad idea because I want him to be Bond.

Sadly, it'll likely be another floppy haired youth.
Gotta think of the marketing to teenage girls and the international market...

It's simple, it's fun, it's The Pilot. Thank heavens Bill wasn't as annoying as she seemed in the trailer, I was warming to her in minutes. Nice, uncomplicated introduction for her, bit of a raw deal for poor old Heather, though. The rumours are that Bill is a series long companion, so will be ditched at the regeneration, but we'll see I suppose. On this evidence, the plan is for a bunch of one-off stories each episode, with less of the arc. We'll also see how that works out - can Moffatt resist? Anyway, very pleased to have it back.

My concern is the Vault - please don't let it be a repeat of The Pandorica! The last thing we need is a Time Lord In A Box That Isn't The Tardis!

I have a thought. If it is a Time Lord in the vault, it's probably the Master. Just not sure which one.

More likely to be something else, though.

My other idea will be spoilered, just in case people don't want to know.
Much is being made of Bill leaving after one series. Not that big a deal, since most of them only lasted one series.
What I think will happen is they will meet up with Heather again, and this time Bill will go with her. Happy ending for everyone, except maybe the Doctor, but I'm sure he'll approve.

Anyway, that's just my theory.

Yeah, I like your idea under the spoiler.
The Master being in the vault appeals to me, might also be related to the classic series style Cybermen we've seen in the trailers.

I think it really has to be a female doctor this time - Olivia Colman anybody?
They have taken pains to make gender swap an option vis-a-vis regeneration. Look at a) Missy and b) that one in the last series who was regenerated in battle right in front of us.

I've seen Hayley Atwell mentioned a few times, which would make me happy in all manner of ways. Professionally she's free for a bit apparently, too.. Olivia would be fab though. Based on "Line of Duty" Thandie Newton would be wonderful, alien enough and unpredictable, but Westworld has got her soul for the time being. Tilda Swinton is too flaky.

If it's to be a chap though, please don't make it Kris Marshall. We've tried slightly gormless, puppy-like oddball brilliance before with Matt Smith and despite his Herculean effort it didn't work. Marshall's great at what he does but this ain't it.

Back