• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I thought Simm's Master here was way ahead of the shouty panto villain version of RTD's era; the insanity was still there, just far more vicious.
Also the weird sexual between worked for him as this version of the Master; he is a narcissist, so why wouldn't he be attracted to future him...?

Missy was sublime, the conflict clear to see; the love of chaos, yet the urge to change and help her friend.

As for Capaldi, I do think we'll look back on his tenure, and appreciate quite how good he is and be disappointed that he left when he did.
He's so good with the role, even in stories that aren't much cop, and if we end up with the rumored Kris Marshall as the new incumbent of the TARDIS, then the difference in quality will be marked.
I would totally watch a spinoff show with just those three. :D

I thought Bill going off with water woman was actually pretty gruesome, what with all cold dead eyes and the vomiting up water and so on. :cry:

(I am late to the thread as we have been away in...Cardiff!)

Ah, Cardiff. Home of Modern Who...

Nobody seems to have commented on the fact that an announcement has been made that the new Doctor will be revealed after the Wimbledon final - any late guesses? Personally still going with Olivia Colman (spelling?)

No, not Olivia Coleman, we cannot have another Doctor wearing the face of someone he let down to remind him/herself to remain who he is, or whatever the explanation was for Capaldi (which they didn't feel the need to explain when Colin Baker's Doctor looked like another Time Lord)

No, not Olivia Coleman, we cannot have another Doctor wearing the face of someone he let down to remind him/herself to remain who he is, or whatever the explanation was for Capaldi (which they didn't feel the need to explain when Colin Baker's Doctor looked like another Time Lord)
Think you have wrong Coleman!

The one from The Eleventh Hour? Is that the one people are talking about? I don't see what the fuss about her is anyway, and we can do better for our mad man/woman in a box!

Also, think of the confusion it would cause for anyone watching Broadchurch reruns.

The same goes if it turns out to be Jodie Whittaker.

Please don't let it be Kris Marshall. Unless he does something dazzling it'll be an excitable, puppyish, exuberant Doctor again, which was exactly what we had with the one before last. Marshall's great at what he does, which is light comedy. This is something else entirely. We've had enough whimsy for this decade, thank you all the same.

Maybe it needs someone more gritty?
Maurice Roëves, perhaps?

Patterson Joseph would get my vote from the names recently bandied about. It will be that Phoebe Waller woman though that seems to be so bafflingly (to me) in demand at the moment.

Never heard of her.
I predict she'll last 6 episodes.

I wasn't sure about a female Doctor, but now I know it's Jodie Whittaker I'm a lot more optimistic. Haven't seen her TV work, but I have seen her in movies, including most recently Adult Life Skills where she played someone who lived in a shed, which is kind of like living in a TARDIS, right? Anyway, excellent actress, she can do "eccentric" as well as "gritty", so that's a lot of range going in to the role.

Also, the second Doctor Who I'll have seen naked, just putting that out there. Still, the first girl Doctor Who! Apart from Peter Davison, of course.

Well I guess there are some BTL comments on this news along the lines of 'Even a woman can drive a Tardis' to 'I'll never watch this pc quota crap again'!

Personally, I'm willing to wait and see how the scripts and the character works out and take the show on merit.
I would like to see Richard Ayode turn up as The Master though.

Joanna Lumley would make an excellent Doctor!
Bah! Why didn't they give her the job?

Not really familiar with her work, although I did watch bits of Broadchurch (but there is a limit to how much bleak I can take).

I was never really concerned about who got cast as the Doctor, I'm more concerned about Chibnall as show runner. Still, we'll wait and see what happens next year.

Well I guess there are some BTL comments on this news along the lines of 'Even a woman can drive a Tardis' to 'I'll never watch this pc quota crap again'!

Those people are never going to enjoy Doctor Who anyway.

Not really familiar with her work, although I did watch bits of Broadchurch (but there is a limit to how much bleak I can take).

I was never really concerned about who got cast as the Doctor, I'm more concerned about Chibnall as show runner. Still, we'll wait and see what happens next year.

If it starts with a body at the foot of some cliffs, I'm going postal.

I've seen a awful lot of the "well done the PC brigade, you've just killed Doctor Who", "RIP DW 1963-2017", "well, that's me out" type comments, which, for a TV show about a time travelling alien who promotes kindness, diversity and treating people (and other living things!) fairly is pretty depressing. Poor old Ian Levine's having an meltdown on Twitter. It's very sad that some so-called fans are so against the idea that'll they can't even wait until we've seen an episode before they pass judgement!

My 20 yo son wasn't keen on the idea of a female Doctor (we even had an argument about it a couple of years ago, as he said it would be 'pandering'!), but he's said a) he's not feeling so bad about it now he's had a chance to get used to the idea and b) judging by the online comments, this was something that had to be done; if some people are going to overreact so badly they probably needed shaking up anyway.

I'm inclined to agree with his second point. Same as the the Bill Potts character being gay; these things really shouldn't cause this amount of upset, and the fact that they do shows that we still have a long way to go with regards to any kind of equality.

Back