• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

The question is - why is Australia getting their Who on at SIX PM ON A MONDAY? I know it's the day after the British broadcast, by WHY IS IT SIX PM, AND NOT AT A TIME WHEN WE ARE ACTUALLY HOME FROM WORK?!
Probably because it's 'children's/young adults' TV?

The question is - why is Australia getting their Who on at SIX PM ON A MONDAY? I know it's the day after the British broadcast, by WHY IS IT SIX PM, AND NOT AT A TIME WHEN WE ARE ACTUALLY HOME FROM WORK?!

Because they're Dicks, and they do things to suit themselves, rather than the taxpayer?

It'll undoubtedly be available online via the iplayer, assuming this is accessible in Oz.
Yes, it is, and the channel involved will be getting a harshly worded email about the bad timing of it all!

They are running the first new episode here in the US on late Sunday afternoon ( early evening) ...another bad time when we all watch football....(the violent US version. ;)

Of course, traditionally it should be at 6:30pm, not 5:55pm.

Don't worry, they'll repeat it a dozen times over the following week on ABC 1 and 2, and possibly even ABC News.

I won't get to see the new Doctor for some time - so I'm relying on the FTMB people at home to provide a full - and hopefully objective - account of it. I mean in particular the sex change aspect - i'm interesed to know how that pans out.

Don't let me down people!

I thought it was pretty great, loved how mysterious it was, the music was terrific, really atmospheric. Jodie Whitaker playing the Doctor like your favourite, fun schoolteacher. Never though Bradley Walsh would make me misty-eyed (bit of a downer for the new Doc's first time out, mind you). Teeth-collecting Predator suitably nightmarish for the kids. I'm optimistic!

OK, had a look about, reaction seems generally positive, not everyone as keen on the plot as I was, but the consensus is that Jodie done really good.

OK, had a look about, reaction seems generally positive, not everyone as keen on the plot as I was, but the consensus is that Jodie done really good.
Jodie is definitely the same Dr we already know, no worries there. I was hoping for the goosebumps of the theme tune about 5 minutes in but sadly not. Visually, it's more like the Simon Pegg/Nick Frost comedy The World's End.

I thought she was good. The folk who I assume are going to be the new companions were pretty stilted and wooden IMO. The crane driver was funny though. The theme tune had a touch of the 1980's about it I thought.

I enjoyed it. I think we have to be careful how we judge it. I have a LOT of love for the Doctor, have watched since 1966 and am a big fan. But what I want from the Doctor isn't necessarily what an eight year old wants, thus there were things that I wanted to see here and didn't but I bet the younger fans will have lapped it up.

It really isn't all about us adults.

I thought it was nicely done. Good luck to Jodie.

I enjoyed it. I think we have to be careful how we judge it. I have a LOT of love for the Doctor, have watched since 1966 and am a big fan. But what I want from the Doctor isn't necessarily what an eight year old wants, thus there were things that I wanted to see here and didn't but I bet the younger fans will have lapped it up.

It really isn't all about us adults.

I thought it was nicely done. Good luck to Jodie.

Well put, Doctor Who was a massive show to me as a kid, and it's the children who are the most important audience. So it's good that I enjoyed it, but probably more important in the long run that the younglings love it.

She did kind of nail it very early on. She is completely credible as the next version of the Doctor, which is all we ask. To be honest, I've not been a big fan of Chris Chibnall's writing for Who, but it was a pretty good episode, even if the montage was a bit silly.

And,
I knew Grace was going to have to die, otherwise why wasn't she travelling with them? Made no sense that Bradley Walsh would be travelling with the Doctor and just leave his wife behind. Although, then they did the thing with him getting dragged along by accident, but it would have been awkward to say the least if they didn't go straight back and get her, or drop him off. Even if they go with "Oooh, the TARDIS is lost" or "The TARDIS (which we have now found) isn't going where we want it to". (I hope the TARDIS shows up soon. They're claiming they won't do series arcs, so having it missing for most of the series would be...what then?)

I know they aren't doing arcs, but that comment by 'Tim Shaw' that the victims of the hunt are kept in stasis - why not just killl them? Unless they are going to reappear later in the series, of course. Why on earth would any species waste resources keeping victims alive when you could just kill them and put their heads on the wall (or teeth on your head)?

In true Doctor Who fashion, the Doctor got fired at a planet and was expected to fix it (by falling out of her Tardis and crashing through the roof to fix an unfolding drama!) - brilliant, and true to the spirit of Doctor Who.

Just watched it tonight. Jodi was quite good in the role, but I fear we may start to find her self-deprecating mannerisms and Last of the Summer Wine style quips irritating after a while. Effects weren't bad, with a suitably nasty alien. Story was pretty weak though. Overall 6/10.
The cranes at the end were a hat-tip to Quatermass I suppose?

I’m thinking The Tardis is going to materialise around them so when they disembark, they’ll comment ‘It’s a lot smaller on the outside’. For a change.

I know they aren't doing arcs, but that comment by 'Tim Shaw' that the victims of the hunt are kept in stasis - why not just killl them? Unless they are going to reappear later in the series, of course. Why on earth would any species waste resources keeping victims alive when you could just kill them and put their heads on the wall (or teeth on your head)?

If you're a cruel, ruthless, super-high-tech race of hunters, you'd probably want to keep the trophies alive, fresh and trapped in a living hell.. Great for the ego to know your prey is not just defeated, but knows it was defeated and will remain so forever.

A few dafties for your amusement...

Ak9BE9g.gif

2Cu8bIE.gif

Back