• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

If you're a cruel, ruthless, super-high-tech race of hunters, you'd probably want to keep the trophies alive, fresh and trapped in a living hell.. Great for the ego to know your prey is not just defeated, but knows it was defeated and will remain so forever.

A few dafties for your amusement...

Ak9BE9g.gif

2Cu8bIE.gif

All of the above also go to prove that people who only watch New Who and don't read books have very poor grasp of the English language... 'your a new fan' 'you never seen'....my inner editor is cringeing.

Towards the end, I was getting a Can-do Hilda Ogden vibe. That’s not to say that Hilda Ogden wouldn’t have made a good Dr. Who but Elsie Tanner would have been more feisty. I’m not entirely convinced but it’s only the first episode and there’ll probably be some good episodes coming.

Towards the end, I was getting a Can-do Hilda Ogden vibe. That’s not to say that Hilda Ogden wouldn’t have made a good Dr. Who but Elsie Tanner would have been more feisty. I’m not entirely convinced but it’s only the first episode and there’ll probably be some good episodes coming.

Nowt wrong wir'our Jodi.

'UK English tends to use 'e's - cringeing and whingeing - US English doesn't (although they don't say 'whingeing'... but still).'

From a writing site because the UK spelling seems to have dropped out of useage (or usage) now. It's old fashioned to put the 'e' in. But then, I still use two spaces after a full stop...

I still use two spaces after a full stop...

So do I. Mainly because, even 36 years later, I'm still scared of the school teacher who told me to do so.

Terrifying woman, about 5'4", but at least 6 inches of that was her weird snail-shell hairdo which was like a hirsute Walnut Whip balanced on top of her head. Piercing eyes, thin lips, pale face with rouged cheeks.

Scarier than waking up in the middle of the night and finding the keyboard player out of Sparks standing at the end of your bed.

The 2 spaces are really a relic of the old typewriter, to improve readability.
No longer necessary.

Ah, episode 2, proper alien planet business - anyone else think The Greatest Show in the Galaxy when they saw that big tent? Well, it wasn't that, it was the Doc actually giving up hope, which is new, I suppose, though there was a happy ending and a dramatic redesign for an old friend (er, a different old friend).

Jodie's really hit the ground running with this and last week's, really consistent and enthusiastic, in fact she was the best thing about this episode - second instalment after we return is always tricky, but this was solid and we were getting to know everyone better, as we should. She's reminding me of Victoria Wood, who did her own DW spoof back in the 80s, of course.

Next week, historical figure time again... Get on the bus, Rosa!

Ah, episode 2, proper alien planet business - anyone else think The Greatest Show in the Galaxy when they saw that big tent? Well, it wasn't that, it was the Doc actually giving up hope, which is new, I suppose, though there was a happy ending and a dramatic redesign for an old friend (er, a different old friend).

Jodie's really hit the ground running with this and last week's, really consistent and enthusiastic, in fact she was the best thing about this episode - second instalment after we return is always tricky, but this was solid and we were getting to know everyone better, as we should. She's reminding me of Victoria Wood, who did her own DW spoof back in the 80s, of course.

Yes. Apparently the Beeb thinks there’s still plenty more diversity agenda to be rammed down our throats.
Dr. Who is now also a keen fan of sunday night BBC output, commenting on the ship engineering being like something out of Antiques Roadshow. Which is a bit rich considering the Tardis now resembles a celtic/goth crystal shop.

Enjoyed the 2nd episode much more than the first. The whole journey thing on an alien planet (but don't travel at night) rang faint echoes of Pitch Black or Starship Troopers 3 and was quite compelling. Not so sure about Jodie's self-pitying whinging though ("oh no! Where's the Tardis? It should be here. I've let you all down."). That really didn't feel like the Doctor.

Last edited:
I was thinking Pitch Black too. Gotta love a TARDIS that dispenses custard creams. But if we're not getting any arcs this year, what was that stuff with the fabric monsters "revealing something" to the Doc, and the toothface aliens (I want to say Stendec, but that's another mystery entirely) behind the race? Misdirection? Scamps.

Yes. Apparently the Beeb thinks there’s still plenty more diversity agenda to be rammed down our throats.
Dr. Who is now also a keen fan of sunday night BBC output, commenting on the ship engineering being like something out of Antiques Roadshow. Which is a bit rich considering the Tardis now resembles a celtic/goth crystal shop.

To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail. Or something.

Hmm... not a great idea, in my view. It'll either be very worthy, but dull, or involve aliens (or wherever that ray-gun came from) and risk being disrespectful.

I really think that setting "historical" stories within living memory and referencing real people isn't a strong direction to go in.

Still, enjoyed episode 2 more than the first one (which wasn't at all bad), and do you know what? Bradley Walsh is pretty good. There - I've said it!

I really don't like the new design of the TARDIS interior - the hexagonal cog things are just horrible, they make it look like they ran out of money half way through building it .

Hmm... not a great idea, in my view. It'll either be very worthy, but dull, or involve aliens (or wherever that ray-gun came from) and risk being disrespectful.

I really think that setting "historical" stories within living memory and referencing real people isn't a strong direction to go in.

Still, enjoyed episode 2 more than the first one (which wasn't at all bad), and do you know what? Bradley Walsh is pretty good. There - I've said it!

I suspect the story will be more assassin sent back in time, and the Doctor trying to stop them, without alerting the person being targeted. Don't really see the problem with hopping back within living memory, it was more or less the whole point of Quantum Leap, and they did the JFK assassination.

I suspect the story will be more assassin sent back in time, and the Doctor trying to stop them, without alerting the person being targeted. Don't really see the problem with hopping back within living memory, it was more or less the whole point of Quantum Leap, and they did the JFK assassination.

She could use the Wand Sonic Screwdriver to break the bus and then everyone would have to walk.... equally.

I agree. He’s the best thing in it so far.

The Doctor doing Venusian Aikido pleased me immensely and fleshing it out with the mention of it being taught/practiced by nuns was nice.

And talking of back stories, what was it the rags talked about? A solitary child?

Also known as the Day of the Jackal premise.

Maybe you're right, but I'm not sure we need a racist version of Terminator...

Back