• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Seems to be a headgear theme... forgotten how much I miss this show when it's not around. Were they bats?

OMG!!! Official endorsement!!! Fortean Times in Doctor Who episode shock!!! Maybe this will bring new readers knowing the Doc reads it! Except it wasn't her copy, it was, erm,
The Master!
I would have thought he was a skeptic!

Did I ever mention how much I love this programme? It was James Bond timey-wimey, they had fun with the music too. Like the Doc as a Chatty Cathy. Actual proper cliffhanger and everything. And... I kind of saw something coming, but not that...
a new Master! He's back to shrinking people!
Marvellous.

I'm not afraid to admit that FT moment had me punching the air a bit. Thoroughly enjoyed the episode, and so nice not to know the Big Reveal ahead of time. Far better that way! :D

Yes, in previous years certain outlets have been too spoiler-happy, so I'm glad this secret was kept right up to broadcast.

Anyone able to make out which issue of FT it was? It was an older one, I know that.

Yes, in previous years certain outlets have been too spoiler-happy, so I'm glad this secret was kept right up to broadcast.

Anyone able to make out which issue of FT it was? It was an older one, I know that.
Issue 68, April/May 1993
C4ACC33D-D88F-4341-9502-8101DA06F0D0.jpeg

Oh, well spotted, sir! Think that's from just before I started collecting them.

The Master said he had the full set, I note...

Finally watched it tonight.
Liked the action and the twist, but "Bubble's" slack-jawed, gobsmacked look really does get my goat!

Bet I'm not the only person to look up Noor Inayat Khan on Wikipedia tonight. They're building on that mystery from the previous series, then? "Dance, Graham, dance!" made me laugh. Lenny got away - possible recurring villain? Bit of a grim ending, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, though at least humanity was saved, and will think about how much it shares online. OK, that really is science fiction.

Doctor Who too PC? Nonsense - it's too far right!

According to this article, anyway:
From - where else? - The Guardian

Far be it for me to accuse them of taking it a tad too seriously, but it's amazing how critical everyone has gotten these days, even about those you'd think would be on the same side. The Doctor has always advocated pacifism over violence, and though gay characters may die, so do the hetero ones. It's not a stretch to have POC as villains, either, we're all capable of evil no matter what race we are. And anyway, don't actors of colour often complain they would like a juicy bad guy/girl role like the white actors get?

Plus science fiction has historically been the biggest advocate of diversity in casting, and DW is no exception. Stop trying to take offense when there are actual, real life villains out there in the world who make a sci-fi show about a time-travelling alien look pretty mild in comparison.

I don't think it's any more woke than it has ever been, even in its original 60s-80s heyday, it just seems casting a female lead has attracted the PC gorn mad maniacs like flies to honey. All the Doc needs to do is say she doesn't find Ricky Gervais funny and it'll be a perfect storm of self-righteous indignation.

I don't think it's any more woke than it has ever been, even in its original 60s-80s heyday, it just seems casting a female lead has attracted the PC gorn mad maniacs like flies to honey. All the Doc needs to do is say she doesn't find Ricky Gervais funny and it'll be a perfect storm of self-righteous indignation.
I've never found Ricky Gervais funny...

It's called "punching down", apparently. But it's a bit rich for Gervais to bring up Weinstein when he welcomed Jimmy Savile on his chat show with open arms. "They all knew", right, Ricky?

Enjoyed these first two episodes, but I thought the but where the Doc removed the perception filter was a bit out of character.

Enjoyed these first two episodes, but I thought the but where the Doc removed the perception filter was a bit out of character.

Do you mean when The Master was revealed to the Nazis? I kind of assumed she knew he'd get out of it, he's been in bigger scrapes before, but it would take a long time, and it did.

Oh, and most recent viewing figures for the first episode of this series are at 6.70million, so about 1.5million down on the current Doc's debut, but still one of the most popular shows on UK TV and consistent with the rest of the previous series.

Do you mean when The Master was revealed to the Nazis? I kind of assumed she knew he'd get out of it, he's been in bigger scrapes before, but it would take a long time, and it did.

I thought it came across as unnecessarily cruel (for the Doctor, anyway) - to out him as non-Aryan. He was already going to have a rough time after he was revealed as a spy.

The plot element where the Master has to live through decades of real time without access to a Tardis reminds me of The Curse of Fatal Death, Stephen Moffat's spoof for Children In Need where Jonathan Pryce (an excellent Master) had to live for centuries in a sewer.

I thought it came across as unnecessarily cruel (for the Doctor, anyway) - to out him as non-Aryan. He was already going to have a rough time after he was revealed as a spy.

I suppose it's a "full disclosure" thing? And remember The Master is only using a British-Asian's stolen body, he's really Gallifreyan.

Back