• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Boring. Don't think I have ever fallen asleep during the first broadcast of an episode of Dr Who till now.

I thought Tesla was Kevin Kline, until I realised how old Kline is now. Then I thought maybe it was Adam Rothenburg (of Ripper Street fame). But no, it was an authentic Serbian-American - him off of ER!

I did recognise Robert Glenister, and realised I'd seen him on Who before - anyone else remember The Caves of Androzani?

Yes, he was a baddie in that one too. If Edison was strictly a baddie.

I thought Tesla was Kevin Kline, until I realised how old Kline is now. Then I thought maybe it was Adam Rothenburg (of Ripper Street fame). But no, it was an authentic Serbian-American - him off of ER!

I did recognise Robert Glenister, and realised I'd seen him on Who before - anyone else remember The Caves of Androzani?
The Caves Of Androzani - AKA The Cleavage Of Androzani...

Hey, that was more like it! Proper old school DW episode, lots of science buffery, Easter eggs for Nikola Tesla fans, spot of commentary on how inventors would piggyback on other's ideas if you want it, cool-looking alien queen (who was a bit Alien Queen), even Yaz got something to do. They can do the traditional stuff if they want.

Next week: The Judoon!

Agreed. Easily the best episode of the "Bubble" era.
I had to google all of Tesla's (near miss) inventions after watching that!

Yes, that's far more like it. Rattled along with very little buggering about and made you go "Oh! Hang about...". More like this please!

Yes agreed that has been the best this season but I am not sure I like where it is going.
Ruth is a pre Hartnell Doctor, or slots in between Troughton and Pertwee, we never saw that regeneration...

That's why there are three companions - the Doc needs moral support! And they're not called companions for nothing, she was all at sea without them, totally confused.

Mind you, I was pretty confused too, but in a good way, what an intriguing episode, so many questions, I was on the edge of my proverbial. Laughed at "Cheesy"! Lovely to see him again, he brings his own energy. Really nice lighthouse location, as well.

It's great they can shake up the timeline without it being totally alienating (pardon the pun), this was genuinely exciting. And they finally gave Jodie the chance to exhibit more range - bodes well.

Remember the Master said everything she thinks she knows is wrong? (Or similar working) Do we think that’s what’s going on here? Because it’s certainly given me a headache. But it was a really good episode.

Remember the Master said everything she thinks she knows is wrong? (Or similar working) Do we think that’s what’s going on here? Because it’s certainly given me a headache. But it was a really good episode.
Yes. Everything you know is a lie.

Hello all.

Long-time reader, first time poster.

I wanted to put a quick post up, as I saw the lighthouse in last night's episode - and I immediately recognised it as the West Usk Lighthouse.

http://www.westusklighthouse.co.uk/

This is a hotel you can stay at.

This is quite a special place for me, as it is where I proposed to my wife!

The owner - Frank; is a big Doctor Who fan; and when we have stayed there the hotel normally has Doctor Who memorabilia - such as a dalek from the John Pertwee era, a TARDIS changing room near the hot tub, and so on.

It was quite weird seeing the interior changed to have all this removed, making it look dusty and disused.

I am sure Frank is happy - his favourite show has filmed there. I wonder if he kept all the props.

Anyway - I thought this would be of interest to the forum!

Last edited:
Even that blouse?! Touch of the Colin Bakers - maybe she is from our timeline after all! Mind you, she didn't know what a sonic screwdriver was, and her Tardis was very Hartnell-era...

it’s better than trousers that don’t make it. I did notice the TARDIS was classic style.

Which Doctor first had the sonic screwdriver, could she be before them?

Or if she’s from a parallel universe could it be Roses?

Also could it please have the original Torchwood team happily protecting the planet :fhtagn:

Which Doctor first had the sonic screwdriver, could she be before them?

Or if she’s from a parallel universe could it be Roses?

Also could it please have the original Torchwood team happily protecting the planet :fhtagn:
Troughton was the first Doctor with a sonic. I’ve already said I think we’re seeing a play at Doctors before Hartnell, it seems to be a riff on his TARDIS.

Even that blouse?! Touch of the Colin Bakers - maybe she is from our timeline after all! Mind you, she didn't know what a sonic screwdriver was, and her Tardis was very Hartnell-era...
There is a theory that Paul Cornell and some others cooked up (I believe inspired by the totally out-of-continuity "Two Doctors" story [Sixth Doctor with Troughton and Jamie McK guesting] that before Third Doctor (Pertwee) appeared, the Second Doctor was working as an agent for the Time Lords. This, since Dr 2 and Jamie said they were on a diplomatic mission for the Time Lords, and referred to Victoria as being absent because she was somewhere studying - yet Jamie only encountered the Time Lords at the end of The War Games, shortly before being returned to Culloden Moor with a memory wipe, and Victoria had been left behind at the end of Fury From The Deep, before Zoe's appearance in The Wheel In Space. So that story did not fit at all.

Now, breathe.

So - there is a new theory, inspired by the above, that this new Doctor was a forced regeneration after Troughton, who worked for a Time Lord Secret Service (v. hush-hush, dontcha know) but then ran away from the Time Lords and was thus a fugitive. This would explain why her Tardis looked like an old Police Box (the Chameleon Circuit only jammed when leaving the junk yard and going back to the Stone Age). It would explain why neither current nor "new" Doctor remembered one another. And it doesn't need the parallel universe (my first thought, since the Doctor had mentioned that the Master was now in a parallel universe and she couldn't reach him). The idea being that the new insert Doctor had been caught and had her Secret Service career memory-wiped before a forced regeneration to Third Doctor (return to original continuity). Perhaps The Master discovered he too had been an agent and had his memory wiped - explaining his remark that nothing was as the Doctor had believed - and perhaps angering him enough to wipe out Gallifrey.

OK, breathe again.

But it's a big old multiverse, so the possibilities are literally endless, until Schroedinger's Episode airs, thus collapsing the quantum wave-front. Actually, it only looks that way to us, because I assume the whole series has been completed by now and the whole production team and cast have already seen the contents.

Ah- good point about the Sonic - but Troughton's sonic was not all flashing lights - it really was just a vibrating mechanism (sorry) that shook out screws (sorry again) and so on.

Troughton was the first Doctor with a sonic. I’ve already said I think we’re seeing a play at Doctors before Hartnell, it seems to be a riff on his TARDIS.

Sorry didn’t spot the spoiler tab where you said it. Is this to upset all the people saying ‘well the Doctor has always been a man’? :p

There is a theory that Paul Cornell and some others cooked up (I believe inspired by the totally out-of-continuity "Two Doctors" story [Sixth Doctor with Troughton and Jamie McK guesting] that before Third Doctor (Pertwee) appeared, the Second Doctor was working as an agent for the Time Lords. This, since Dr 2 and Jamie said they were on a diplomatic mission for the Time Lords, and referred to Victoria as being absent because she was somewhere studying - yet Jamie only encountered the Time Lords at the end of The War Games, shortly before being returned to Culloden Moor with a memory wipe, and Victoria had been left behind at the end of Fury From The Deep, before Zoe's appearance in The Wheel In Space. So that story did not fit at all.

Now, breathe.

So - there is a new theory, inspired by the above, that this new Doctor was a forced regeneration after Troughton, who worked for a Time Lord Secret Service (v. hush-hush, dontcha know) but then ran away from the Time Lords and was thus a fugitive. This would explain why her Tardis looked like an old Police Box (the Chameleon Circuit only jammed when leaving the junk yard and going back to the Stone Age). It would explain why neither current nor "new" Doctor remembered one another. And it doesn't need the parallel universe (my first thought, since the Doctor had mentioned that the Master was now in a parallel universe and she couldn't reach him). The idea being that the new insert Doctor had been caught and had her Secret Service career memory-wiped before a forced regeneration to Third Doctor (return to original continuity). Perhaps The Master discovered he too had been an agent and had his memory wiped - explaining his remark that nothing was as the Doctor had believed - and perhaps angering him enough to wipe out Gallifrey.

OK, breathe again.

But it's a big old multiverse, so the possibilities are literally endless, until Schroedinger's Episode airs, thus collapsing the quantum wave-front. Actually, it only looks that way to us, because I assume the whole series has been completed by now and the whole production team and cast have already seen the contents.

Ah- good point about the Sonic - but Troughton's sonic was not all flashing lights - it really was just a vibrating mechanism (sorry) that shook out screws (sorry again) and so on.
The Time Lord Secret Service, who pressed the third Doctor into some work every so often
, is called the CIA, the Celestial Intervention Agency.

Dare we hope this is Susan? If she's never seen a Sonic Screwdriver, it would fit, and being Susan, it would also explain why her "ship" looks like the Tardis...

Back