• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I'm looking forward to how this is all going to resolve - assuming they don't emulate Moffat and just not bother to tie up all the loose ends (or just hand-wave them away with a single sentence). And let's not forget the added teaser that the Doctor has been warned by Jack Harkness to look out for the Lone Cyberman (and his faithful scout, no doubt; not to mention his trusty John Steed. Hi-oh, Silver Nemesis, away!).

I'd like to think introducing such a dramatic series of twists this series means they have big plans, and they won't just hit the reset button when they're out of roads to take them down. Chibnall likes to play the long game, though, and Jodie has signed on for another series, so don't expect every question to be answered this year.

There have been two mentions of The Timeless Child, which makes me think of Susan, as she was always the child out of time. But we shall see what happens next, and how it is all explained!

Come back Ianto, all is forgiven!

I want Tosh and Owen too. It was just getting really good with series two then they killed them off and then Ianto in series 3 and I don’t even like to think about series 4.

I suppose anything's possible with time travel.

Speaking of which, best theory I've heard about this new development means that Peter Cushing's Doctor from the two 1960s films is now canon!

I suppose anything's possible with time travel.

Speaking of which, best theory I've heard about this new development means that Peter Cushing's Doctor from the two 1960s films is now canon!
Wasn’t he supposed to just be an inventor or something and not a Time Lord? My memory is a little hazy.

In other news Ace is back and gets to meet Jodie’s Doctor. Unfortunately it’s just a book but still...

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=seven-wicked-things-ace-sophie-aldred

Yes, he was "just" a dotty old inventor in those films, not a Time Lord, because nobody had invented the concept of Time Lords when the films were made.

Yes, he was "just" a dotty old inventor in those films, not a Time Lord, because nobody had invented the concept of Time Lords when the films were made.

When were Time Lords first mentioned in the main show? I was born in the 70s so only came in at the Tom Baker era.

The Time Lords were first mentioned in "The War Games" in 1969.

People always say that Cushing's Doctor is human but this is never stated in the films!

One of the missed opportunities was not acknowledging The Cribbins' role in the Cushing Whoniverse when he re-emerged with Tennant. Given the Doctor's apparent ability to erase memories, it would have explained Wilf Mott's obsession with alien invasions without being consciously aware as to why. They could at least have hinted at it, like half a million middle-aged people did on a weekly basis.
...assuming they don't emulate Moffat and just not bother to tie up all the loose ends (or just hand-wave them away with a single sentence)
That was my biggest problem with Moffat. I've said it before on this very thread, but it got to the point where there was no real jeopardy because you just knew that however impossible the odds there probably wouldn't be a really ingenious solution, but some glib - as you say - hand-wave. Once or twice would be ok, but it became almost a weekly "aren't we clever" wheeze on the showrunners' part. It really affected the Matt Smith era especially.

But why should the movies be canon? They are copies of adventures the Doctor has already had. Do we think he had essentially the same first meeting with the Thals and the Daleks? Did he have the same fight with the Daleks twice in their attempt to remove the earths core?

Because Moffat was determined to tie everything into some form of continuity. That's one reason why he hamfestedly tried to explain the new Doctor's face in "Deep Breath."

As for the movies - Moffat wanted to show them as part of the photographic montage of the Doctor's past in "Day of the Doctor." I can't remember the exact reason but I think his rationale was that after Ian and Barbara returned home, their exploits became the basis of the two movies. Obviously, with some embellishment and alterations.

I just posted this on Facebook about where the new Doctor fits in:

Engin was clear in "The Deadly Assassin" that the 12th regeneration meant death. Obviously they'd found a way round this by the time of "The Five Doctors". What this means is that there can't have been a Doctor before Hartnell as it wasn't possible to renew his regeneration cycle. It also means that there can't have been a secret Doctor somewhere along the line or Tennant would have been the last of that cycle.

A few random thoughts/hypothesisings (sorry if they're obvious/obviously wrong/been discounted/just plain stupid) :

I reckon a few of the recent events could be fractures in time. (Bill&Ted 3 gets released this year, maybe they're to blame)

Orphan 55? The Doctor's seen Earth's future at numerous times so surely she'd remember if it ended up a radioactive, Dundonian wasteland. Unless there's been a fracture somewhere in the timeline and the Earth isn't meant to be like that but the Doc somehow has her memory clouded as to what the timeline should look like.

Dr. Ruth (not the sex advice one) - somewhere the Doc's timeline fractured into two, resulting in a Ruth/Gat timeline where the Doc didn't develop sonic screwdrivers. Logical thing would be to go back through their memories and see where they diverge, maybe find the cause of the fracture (and fix it with some hyper-chrono-duct tape or something).

The Master's return - I'd imagine Missy would have a cloudy memory of her previous incarnation shooting her (the stronger the event, the stronger the memory). So it would be logical for her to do something to counter it, (knowing what and when it happens). A shield of some kind that absorbs most of the energy but leaves her mortally wounded but still capable of escaping and bodysnatching.

The Terrible Secret of Gallifrey : The Time Lords laid down the law. Made time nice and orderly. Only it's not. It's a chaotic mess with fractures and alternate timelines and continuity errors - and that was even before Gallifrey got into a time war/destroyed/hidden/found/destroyed again. The "fixed points" in time were installed by cowboy builders on a Friday afternoon. Rassilon was a backstabbing loony. Hoping to see the reappearance of Omega, the proper introduction of Abslom Daak and more refugee Time Lords emerging from hiding across the Universe (maybe they could found New Gallifrey somewhere, just down the road from New Asgard...)

Aw, sweet ending! After Meglos and Frontios we had Praxeus, and the plot was a bit Green Death, going back a bit further. Solid mystery, satisfying solution, and the crusty explodey disease was kind of horrible. Great guest cast, and the companions all had something to do. Didn't advance last week's conundrums, but another very fine basic episode.

Was the talking cat a reference to Eric "Master" Roberts?

Aw, sweet ending! After Meglos and Frontios we had Praxeus, and the plot was a bit Green Death, going back a bit further. Solid mystery, satisfying solution, and the crusty explodey disease was kind of horrible. Great guest cast, and the companions all had something to do. Didn't advance last week's conundrums, but another very fine basic episode.

Was the talking cat a reference to Eric "Master" Roberts?
Not Eric "Master" Robers, but Mrs Slocombe...

Just in case you've not heard of A Talking Cat!?!, here's the trailer:

Eric Roberts' finest role, after The Master. And he literally phoned it in.

Just watched the latest Dr Who...Praxeus........am I the only one who thought it was lame.?
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just watched the latest Dr Who...Praxeus........am I the only one who thought it was it was lame.?

It's a Doctor Who episode, there's always going to be someone who thinks it's lame.

Just watched the latest Dr Who...Praxeus........am I the only one who thought it was lame.?

Bit heavy on the old eco-politics and how many times are they going to use the old cliché of a seemingly innocent character being revealed to be something else? That's three episodes so far this series they've used that ploy!

Back