• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Bit heavy on the old eco-politics and how many times are they going to use the old cliché of a seemingly innocent character being revealed to be something else? That's three episodes so far this series they've used that ploy!
That ploy is like the buses, nothing for ages, then three in a row...

That ploy is like the buses, nothing for ages, then three in a row...

Or just sloppy writing.
Apart from the Tesla episode, the whole "Bubble" era DW has been pretty meh.
I know we're never going to get another Baker or Pertwee style classic Doctor, but this has got me yearning for Capaldi or some of the creepier Tennant stories.

Or just sloppy writing.
Apart from the Tesla episode, the whole "Bubble" era DW has been pretty meh.
I know we're never going to get another Baker or Pertwee style classic Doctor, but this has got me yearning for Capaldi or some of the creepier Tennant stories.
CC, sloppy writing? Does he do any other kind? And the Tesla one? I slept through the middle of that one and had no desire to start it playing again. It has the distinction of being the only extant episode of the show I have never seen.

Aww, that's made me quite sentimental. Started out all mysterious, went all hokey with the gods stuff, then it got to the point and it all fell into place. Never thought I'd see a mental health theme in DW, even if the Doc wasn't much help one-to-one, but then, she's suffering loneliness herself. Liked the Toymaker reference too, it was a bit like that story.

Hope this one makes some people feel a bit better, it's surprising what even a silly science fiction show can do to pick you up.

Aww, that's made me quite sentimental. Started out all mysterious, went all hokey with the gods stuff, then it got to the point and it all fell into place. Never thought I'd see a mental health theme in DW, even if the Doc wasn't much help one-to-one, but then, she's suffering loneliness herself. Liked the Toymaker reference too, it was a bit like that story.

Hope this one makes some people feel a bit better, it's surprising what even a silly science fiction show can do to pick you up.
I liked the references to the Toymaker, the Eternals and the Guardians - wouldn't mind any (or all) of them to reappear at some point...

Could have been a classic creepy episode - if it hadn't been for "Bubble" going totally OTT with her silly, gormless, gobsmacked look every few minutes.
You're supposed to be a millennia-old cosmic traveller, with immense experience and wisdom for crying out loud, not some extra playing a comedy cameo in Last of the Summer Wine!
Oh and we all know that Islam is an enormously enlightened and benevolent ideology, without Bubble telling us.
Sorry, but this weakest ever incarnation of The Doctor is ruining the whole DW saga for me.
If viewing numbers continue to plummet, hopefully Whittaker will be replaced before too long.
Sign the petition for Sean Pertwee now!

I'm going to sound like a misogynist here, but I haven't really 'gotten into' any of them since Capaldi left.
Whittaker is a good actress but I simply don't like her as Dr Who. So...is this about choices to play the part or bad writing, or both?
:thought:

I'm going to sound like a misogynist here, but I haven't really 'gotten into' any of them since Capaldi left.
Whittaker is a good actress but I simply don't like her as Dr Who. So...is this about choices to play the part or bad writing, or both?
:thought:
I’ve said all along I don’t believe JW is a good enough actor for the part and Chibnail certainly isn’t a good enough writer / show runner. The show can withstand one of those two being wrong for a time, but both at the same time is a perfect storm...

Were you familiar with Jodie before DW? I'd known of her since Venus and always found her excellent, maybe that's why I have no problem with her as the Doc. I think she's performing the role as written.

Were you familiar with Jodie before DW? I'd known of her since Venus and always found her excellent, maybe that's why I have no problem with her as the Doc. I think she's performing the role as written.

Must admit that I'd not heard of her before DW.

I had seen one or two things with her in but she had not appeared on my radar at all as it were.

The Doctor knows Venusian Aikido, so I presume that e has been there in the 'past'.

Seems fans loved that the latest episode tackled mental health, but many hated the Doc and Graham's exchange about his cancer fears:
News story

I didn't have a problem with it, she clearly didn't want to talk about or even think about losing one of her friends, hence her awkwardness. I don't think it's to do with her alien side, she's just more comfortable taking on threats to the universe.

I think she's right for the Doctor, she has the energy and curiosity of Troughton, McCoy, Smith and Davison, with a bit of Tom Baker thrown in as well.

Maybe so; I saw her in a production of Antigone (with Christopher Eccelston, coincidentally) and loved her performance, before I saw her in Who, and I like her Doctor a lot.

I think she's right for the Doctor, she has the energy and curiosity of Troughton, McCoy, Smith and Davison, with a bit of Tom Baker thrown in as well.

Yes, the last thing the series needs is a boring Doctor. She may be polarising, but she's not boring.

Maybe so; I saw her in a production of Antigone (with Christopher Eccelston, coincidentally) and loved her performance, before I saw her in Who, and I like her Doctor a lot.

She had been in Broadchurch, which was a big TV show, just before DW. I didn't watch that, but I believe she was praised there too.

Ah, the old fake out, the historical episode that turns out to be part of the story arc! Is this the first time we've heard Byron's poetry on prime time TV since the 1950s? Some pretty funny stuff in the first half, then it reminded me of Sapphire and Steel very strongly, no bad thing. Liked the design on the broken Cyberman, but again, loads of questions. Like how did Captain Jack know about all this?

Anyway, the next series starts filming in the Autumn, for a Christmas special and 2021 start for the rest, so we won't have to wait a year this time. Jodie's back, Chris is back - but nobody seems to know if the companions will be - Toisin Cole has a job lined up in the US, so presumably will be trying out an American accent for the foreseeable. Will all three be Cyberised like Bill?!

I have tried so hard to get onboard but no, it’s not happening. It’s a bunch of 2 x 4s plus Bradley Walsh. I just don’t see any acting from Jodie Whittaker that meshes with the Doctor at all. Get rid of this doctor and bring on River Song to bridge the gap.

What is most cringeworthy is when the Doc is supposed to deliver their lines in the style of “I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger” you know, those threats about about defending Earth and all that. Sadly it comes out as Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows la la la la.

Yeah I know it’s a kids show but jeeze they’ve given up on it.

What is most cringeworthy is when the Doc is supposed to deliver their lines in the style of “I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger” you know, those threats about about defending Earth and all that. Sadly it comes out as Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows la la la la.

I loved the bit where the Doctor left to find out what the cyberman was looking for - she made the speech I think you may be referring to? About nobody else being harmed? Thought she nailed it!

"I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger” you know, those threats about about defending Earth and all that. Sadly it comes out as Sunshine, Lollipops and Rainbows la la la la."

Bit like this?

PSX_20200217_154436.jpg

Actually there is more than a bit of Bubble in Whittaker’s Doctor, it hadn’t occurred to me before!
Also the Sonic Screwdriver has gone from multi tool to Fairy/Harry Potters magic wand, just swing it about manically with no real focus or intent and it gives you exactly what you need. Saves all that tricky script writing.

I think the kids would be disappointed if the Doc didn't use her sonic screwdriver at least once an episode. Or the adults, if they're playing a drinking game.

I loved the bit where the Doctor left to find out what the cyberman was looking for - she made the speech I think you may be referring to? About nobody else being harmed? Thought she nailed it!
The Doctor has been saying things like this for series after series, and this was possibly a bit stronger in detail but, for me personally, it was weak. To be fair plenty of the guys have failed this at times but not as consistently as Whittaker.

So I’m saying a made up character is, IMO not acting as I expect them to LOL yeah perhaps I should quit now,

So with Bubble now able to do Vulcan mind melds and the Cybermen revealed to be the Borg, can we expect to see a Holodeck or maybe a Ferengi or two next week?

So with Bubble now able to do Vulcan mind melds and the Cybermen revealed to be the Borg, can we expect to see a Holodeck or maybe a Ferengi or two next week?
Yep the Tardis is a holo deck. It’s not really bigger inside it just looks it, overturning nearly 60 years of storytelling. Also the whole thing is a delusion in the mind of a Borg cyber man Borg undergoing assimilation. The franchise ends on a rapidly zooming out shot of the hallucinating drone aboard a cube ship to the theme tune of Blake’s 7.

I have to say I am loving Jodie as the Dr. I wasn't sure to start - I was worried that the show had decided to bow to pressure and appoint a woman for the sake of it. (don't get me wrong, a female Dr Who was well over due, I meant just that they had picked a female for the point and not because they wanted it). But by the end of the first episode with her, I was in love with Jodie as the Dr. Peter Capaldi didn't always do it for me, so I felt JW and the companions were a breath of fresh air.

Also I am more than happy with the LGBTQ+ elements of the show. They are bringing in so many of these characters and treating them as normal - if only all TV shows could do the same.

That said, I was a little unsure of Sunday's episode - why would she disregard Jack's warning about the lone Cyberman? I felt she gave him what he wanted way too soon.

Back