• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Then there's The Master's past incarnation as Missy. She talked about her and the Doctor running around as Children. That now seems pretty unlikely. The timelines don't quite tally.

The Doctor speculates in the episode that the Division turned her back into a child, so I assume that when they wiped her memory, they forced a regeneration into an infant version of William Hartnell, which would have allowed her to meet the young Master.

The Doctor speculates in the episode that the Division turned her back into a child, so I assume that when they wiped her memory, they forced a regeneration into an infant version of William Hartnell, which would have allowed her to meet the young Master.

Plausibly, I guess. Again, things I think we need to see on screen rather than speculate.

At the moment there are many things which hang as loose ends but provided they get tied up at a later point it doesn't necessarily need to be a problem. I do honestly see a lot of potential in these changes. It just depends on whether the writers and series can make good use of the new status quo.

Then there's The Master's past incarnation as Missy. She talked about her and the Doctor running around as Children. That now seems pretty unlikely. The timelines don't quite tally.
Talking of time lines, I really hope that the new Master is from long before Missy, not after (from his/her own perspective, that is). Missy's eventual redemption was fairly neat, and to turn that on its head seems a bit churlish.

As I said on a previous page, I could see the new Master fitting in before Jacobi's incarnation. I doubt that's the case though. Recent series seem very willing to chuck away any inconvenient bits from previous stories, and so I expect that the Master has simply gone bad again. A bit like how he has teamed up with the Cybermen... again.

Someone on another forum said...

Hint for Dr Who fans on the last episode: Just before the guy detonates the weapon at the climax, turn up your sound. You can hear
the master yell something out that sets up future episodes.

...if someone wants to try it.

Someone on another forum said...

Hint for Dr Who fans on the last episode: Just before the guy detonates the weapon at the climax, turn up your sound. You can hear
the master yell something out that sets up future episodes.

...if someone wants to try it.

You can see it on the subtitles too, apparently.

Put simply. It’s proper shit.

When The Joker - SORRY Master declares "Everything we were told was a lie" that pretty well flags up the fact that nothing that has ever been broadcast since Doctor Who started in 1963 can be safely taken as canon any more.
Don't even try to reconcile Brendan and the whole Timeless Child reveal with anything that has gone before, because false memories / fake news means down that path lies madness.
The writers have given themselves carte blanche to make up anything they want to henceforth, with no regard for 57 years of DW history.

Last edited:
Except it's not like that at all, they've just rearranged the furniture and given the place a lick of paint. It'll still be about a mysterious alien travelling through space and time with their companions as it always was.

I once read a short comic strip about Dr Who landing on a mysterious spaceship which turned out to be a troop carrier full of activating Cybermen. This was a surprise to everyone as the Cybermen were supposed to be extinct, wiped out by the ingenuity of the Human Race who had invented the "glitter gun" - a weapon firing a spray of gold that caused respiratory failure.
The Doctor was drawn a bit like Peter Davidson and I read the strip decades ago. Fast forward to the last series and I was surprised to see the Doctor landing on a mysterious spaceship ...

When The Joker - SORRY Master declares "Everything we were told was a lie" that pretty well flags up the fact that nothing that has ever been broadcast since Doctor Who started in 1963 can be safely taken as canon any more.
Don't even try to reconcile Brendan and the whole Timeless Child reveal with anything that has gone before, because false memories / fake news means down that path lies madness.
The writers have given themselves carte blanche to make up anything they want to henceforth, with no regard for 57 years of DW history.

Yes, and no.

While I don't write-off the possibility of literally any show-runner ignoring past continuity to suit themselves this doesn't mean that they will. The establishing of The Division doesn't invalidate Timelord society or any of the existing principles we have to understand over the history of the show.

It exists in the shadows of it. A splinter initiative. A black-ops organisation. A group which may not even have been known by the majority of other Timelords or their hierarchy, let alone endorsed by it.

As far as we are led to believe The Doctor retired from The Division. And it was at that point that his handlers chose to erase all knowledge of it from The Doctor's memory. Having somebody going around who could reveal its existence to the other Timelords was clearly considered far too dangerous to be allowed - and of course, they would also know that simply trying to kill him was not something which was going to work.

Bring back Peter Capaldi...or am I the only fan who liked him?

;)
Not at all. He's my favourite among the "new" Doctors, just a shame he wasn't always given the best material to work with. Tennant, Smith were fine, Eccleston only did one year (which I enjoyed), but Capaldi really seemed to blend the best of the various incarnations, including a decent chunk of Tom Baker, which has got to be a good thing.

I still find myself wondering, though, about the missed opportunity that was Paul McGann... one slightly dodgy movie, 6 minutes of prologue to the 50th anniversary story, and he still owned the role whenever he was on screen.

;)
I always thought Capaldi was a good actor (and also a terrific narrator of OU science documentaries) anyway, but his performance in the creepy "Torchwood: Children of Earth" was outstanding. And once his three-season stint as the Doctor was over, I realised just how impressive a performance that was -- the character's progression from cold-and-uncaring in Season 1 to being all-about-the-caring by the end of Season 3. Wow. A masterclass.

But I also really like Jodie Whitaker as the Doctor, though. What's with all the "Bubbles" dissing? It smacks of anti-Northerner bias. What's that all about? Lots of planets have a North. Full disclosure: my father was Bradford born and bred.

I once read a short comic strip about Dr Who landing on a mysterious spaceship which turned out to be a troop carrier full of activating Cybermen. This was a surprise to everyone as the Cybermen were supposed to be extinct, wiped out by the ingenuity of the Human Race who had invented the "glitter gun" - a weapon firing a spray of gold that caused respiratory failure.
The Doctor was drawn a bit like Peter Davidson and I read the strip decades ago. Fast forward to the last series and I was surprised to see the Doctor landing on a mysterious spaceship ...
Wasn't that the "Return Of The Cyberman" story on BBC TV?

I was certainly reminded of that by the recent storyline.

Right up until the reveal Me and Mrs Ident were speculating the same thing. It just seems a bit vague that The Master would commit an act of whole species genocide based on the assumption that he was a bit pissed off over The Doctor having shaped his people and society. The motivation isn't quite right. It's iffy.

Leaving aside the difficulty of interpreting the psychology of any alien beings (or for that matter other human beings. Or let's face it, sometimes me myself I), the Master has often revealed himself as a total psychopath, including at times an almost Thanos-like nihilism. He's Just An Excitable Boy (or Girl).

Note to self: I really must stop posting on social media.

Not at all. He's my favourite among the "new" Doctors, just a shame he wasn't always given the best material to work with. Tennant, Smith were fine, Eccleston only did one year (which I enjoyed), but Capaldi really seemed to blend the best of the various incarnations, including a decent chunk of Tom Baker, which has got to be a good thing.

I still find myself wondering, though, about the missed opportunity that was Paul McGann... one slightly dodgy movie, 6 minutes of prologue to the 50th anniversary story, and he still owned the role whenever he was on screen.
It was indeed unfortunate that that midAtlantic mess didn't lead to a proper BBC series. Terrific actor, terrible story and script. It seemed clear that the American producers (was it Fox?) had no understanding whatever of Doctor Who, or indeed British TV traditions. I can imagine the script meeting. "What kind of BS is this? Call yourself a scriptwriter? There isn't even a car chase here. The hero never gets to kiss the girl. There's no fist-fight between the goodie and the baddie. Jesus. Total rewrite. I want a mass gang-fight with automatic weapons in the first five minutes. Now, get out of my office. Frigging amateurs."

On the other hand, Big Finish have done hundreds of McGann audios now.

Mine too - he had the necessary alien-ness but empathy too. Just different enough to be non-human, but simultaneously more humanitarian than anyone around him.
I always thought Capaldi was a good actor (and also a terrific narrator of OU science documentaries) anyway, but his performance in the creepy "Torchwood: Children of Earth" was outstanding. And once his three-season stint as the Doctor was over, I realised just how impressive a performance that was -- the character's progression from cold-and-uncaring in Season 1 to being all-about-the-caring by the end of Season 3. Wow. A masterclass.
It was amazing. He's easily the most capable actor to have played the Doctor (certainly since the reboot), and as Peripart said above he prevailed often despite the script. I can't help thinking that, much as I like Whittaker as an actress, had Capaldi been the one at the end of this series having to make an awful choice he'd have dragged us along in a way that Jodie couldn't.

It is a great shame that Torchwood never eclipsed Children of Earth. And instead opted to deliver us another lacklustre UK-US co-production, that killed it off for (seemingly) good.

The montage from the last episode slowed down so you can spot all the Easter Eggs. Morbius Doctors are now canon!

Children of Earth was one of the most terrifying pieces of television I've ever seen (I'm not good at horror/suspense, so I have to add that I don't watch much). I rate Peter Capadli as an actor anyway, but that was just amazing. Loved his Doctor too.

I like Jodie Whittaker, have yet to watch the most recent seaason - but worry that her Doctor has turned too reliant on the sonic screwdriver to resolve things. I like my Doctor to be superfast intelligent, not 'point, scrutinise, solve'.

Children of Earth was one of the most terrifying pieces of television I've ever seen (I'm not good at horror/suspense, so I have to add that I don't watch much). I rate Peter Capadli as an actor anyway, but that was just amazing. Loved his Doctor too.

I like Jodie Whittaker, have yet to watch the most recent seaason - but worry that her Doctor has turned too reliant on the sonic screwdriver to resolve things. I like my Doctor to be superfast intelligent, not 'point, scrutinise, solve'.

I think I've enjoyed the most recent series (even) more than JW's first, but I too am none too keen on the Sonic turning into a magic wand. That tendency has been going on for decades now, though (the production team broke Peter Davison's precisely to avoid that becoming the norm). I liked that prop more when it was very basic - it could vibrate locks open or explode landmines etc. But on t'other hand, it's not unreasonable that technology would evolve. I mean, it does, doesn't it? Not of its own accord, but then, neither does life. And super technology ought to evolve superbly, I suppose. I did enjoy it when (I think) the 11th Doctor first had a brand-new Sonic pop out of the Tardic (good typo, that - I think I'll retain it as the adjective from 'TARDIS') console to replace his lost/broken one.

Apparently there's a mass watching of The Day of the Doctor going on right now, but if you're too late for that, you can still watch a brand new scene added specially for the viewing:
New video at this link!

Written by Steven Moffat, no expense has been spared. Well, it made me laugh, anyway.

That's really sweet and thoughtful, considering how DW is still a hero (heroine) to children. Apparently Jodie got a lot of stick from cu- er, curmudgeons for doing this, but I think it was great, who cares what the haters think anymore if it cheers up the kids?

Streaming now :

Time Space Visualiser is a one-day event streamed across the internet allowing every Doctor Who fan to join in across the world from the comfort of their living rooms for FREE! Fantom will be streaming archival interviews and brand-new material; together with social interaction with viewers and your chance to win some amazing prizes.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMFWO7i0gQBA37XTgY43Zrw/live

Back