• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Perhaps people will listen now!

Patrolling Dalek orders people to self-isolate
One of Doctor Who's most iconic villains was filmed patrolling the streets ordering people to stay at home.
If the threat of a police fine isn't enough to keep people from flaunting the lockdown rules during the coronavirus pandemic, perhaps a Dalek will be.

Residents of the small coastal village of Robin Hood's Bay, England couldn't believe their eyes when one of the iconic Doctor Who villains started patrolling the street outside their homes, calling over and over in its distinctive voice for people to self-isolate.

The local police department wasted little time in getting on board with the stunt.
https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/336125/patrolling-dalek-orders-people-to-self-isolate

I think this piece of top acronym humour needs to be highlighted:-
"Our colleagues in Skaro Division have deployed their Direct Action Local Enforcement Kops to ensure everyone is following guidelines about isolation and social distancing," Tayside Police wrote.
We recommend everyone uses their Totally Awesome Rightly Distanced Isolation Systems to comply."

:adored::clap:

DW PIFs are nothing new of course:

A pity nobody could remember what it bloody stood for.

no memory at all. But gosh he was good looking!

I’ve been putting some Fortean videos online recently, showing my cabinet of curiosities and some EdFort talks, but this one I did for work and it has a slight Dr Who theme to it...

https://metebelis2.com/cover

This little app lets you make your own Target novelisation covers and is great fun!

Here's one I made earlier:

Doctor Who the Queen of terror.png

I promise I won't bombard the thread with these, but I am quite proud of this one.

Doctor Who in an exciting adventure with Frank bough .png

Last edited:
Mine too - he had the necessary alien-ness but empathy too. Just different enough to be non-human, but simultaneously more humanitarian than anyone around him.

It was amazing. He's easily the most capable actor to have played the Doctor (certainly since the reboot), and as Peripart said above he prevailed often despite the script. I can't help thinking that, much as I like Whittaker as an actress, had Capaldi been the one at the end of this series having to make an awful choice he'd have dragged us along in a way that Jodie couldn't.

Great actor - should have been the definitive Doctor - just awful writing. Boring and lazy.

Ok - this is interesting, at least to this Who/comics fan... Eric Saward is writing a new Doctor Who comic that is Kickstartering now... based on the character of Lytton from Attack of the Cybermen:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/room5064/lytton-a-comic-mini-series-by-doctor-whos-eric-saward

The comic line appears to be something like the Big Finish audios, combined with the comic strips in Doctor Who magazine. They have announced their next story will feature artist John Ridgway supplying art for a new story about Omega, and a continuation of the Paradise Towers setting.

But wait - there's more! They are also recording exclusive commentaries that can be played with the DVD's of select classic stories...

Ok - this is interesting, at least to this Who/comics fan... Eric Saward is writing a new Doctor Who comic that is Kickstartering now... based on the character of Lytton from Attack of the Cybermen:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/room5064/lytton-a-comic-mini-series-by-doctor-whos-eric-saward

The comic line appears to be something like the Big Finish audios, combined with the comic strips in Doctor Who magazine. They have announced their next story will feature artist John Ridgway supplying art for a new story about Omega, and a continuation of the Paradise Towers setting.

But wait - there's more! They are also recording exclusive commentaries that can be played with the DVD's of select classic stories...
If you’re wanting new commentaries for old DVD releases Toby Haddoke under Fantom Films has produced quite a few.

Can't say I fancy reading Saward's story, or more Paradise Towers, but if John Ridgway is involved in any of it, you can bet your life it'll look gorgeous.

Surely some mistake?
Tennant the best ever Doctor and Matt Smith better than Tom Baker???!!!
Jon Pertwee only 9th????!!!

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ennant-voted-the-peoples-favourite-doctor-who
So how do they actually do these polls? I’m a Dr Who fan and I buy the Radio Times every week, and visit their web site yet I had no idea this poll was taking place? It was not mentioned on any of the social media I frequent. I see 50 000 obviously knew about it but it totally passed me by.

Nope David Tennant as the best is ok with me.

I get that (even though he'd only be my personal 3rd or 4th), but I agree with the earlier sentiment - Pertwee and Tom Baker deserve far higher placings.

Were only juveniles allowed to vote?

That's a distinct possibility. A large number of current viewers will have little idea who Tom Baker is, let alone Troughton or Hartnell. The older doctors never stood a chance!

So how do they actually do these polls? I’m a Dr Who fan and I buy the Radio Times every week, and visit their web site yet I had no idea this poll was taking place? It was not mentioned on any of the social media I frequent. I see 50 000 obviously knew about it but it totally passed me by.
Only the wealthy elite were allowed to vote. You need to get the handshake right.

I'm glad Matt Smith did so well, he was my favourite of the new batch. I'm also glad that new batch were at the top, it proves a younger audience still loves the show and will ensure it continues.

I try to avoid ranking things, if only because my opinions are prone to change over time. I mean, personally, Tom will always be my Doctor, but the fact is, the audience for the show is more than just middle aged men. I've just learned to come to terms with the fact that different people like different things, and that's OK.

Let's face it, in any poll of anything, someone is going to complain that something should have been higher than it was, and something should be lower. A poll in the late 80s would have most likely had Sylvester McCoy at the top, and, personally, that would have upset me. (I've mellowed a bit.)

Let's face it, if they'd voted in 1969, someone would have complained that either Troughton or Hartnell should have placed higher (depending on which one came first).

I try to avoid ranking things, if only because my opinions are prone to change over time. I mean, personally, Tom will always be my Doctor, but the fact is, the audience for the show is more than just middle aged men. I've just learned to come to terms with the fact that different people like different things, and that's OK.
It's exactly the same phenomenon as you'd see annually in Smash Hits, where their yearly poll of "Best Ever Single Ever" would have whatever that year's biggest selling weeny-bopper tracks in the top three as the all-time greatest. What was always interesting was that the older tracks that objectively could genuinely argue for that status (Beatles, Kate Bush, Bowie, Queen, Abba etc) would always be there in the teens and twenties. Those are the trends that should really get the scrutiny.

Tom Baker will always be my Doctor, too, but I do rate Tennant highly and Capaldi especially (as I've said previously, he prevailed despite the material in many cases.)

It's exactly the same phenomenon as you'd see annually in Smash Hits, where their yearly poll of "Best Ever Single Ever" would have whatever that year's biggest selling weeny-bopper tracks in the top three as the all-time greatest. What was always interesting was that the older tracks that objectively could genuinely argue for that status (Beatles, Kate Bush, Bowie, Queen, Abba etc) would always be there in the teens and twenties. Those are the trends that should really get the scrutiny.

Tom Baker will always be my Doctor, too, but I do rate Tennant highly and Capaldi especially (as I've said previously, he prevailed despite the material in many cases.)

I thought Capaldi was the pick of the new Doctors.
His image sort of combined the dandy-like look of Pertwee with the otherworldly, one small step away from madness, persona of Tom Baker.

Trailer for the New Year's Day special:

Jack's back! Man, I could do with some Who right now. Just a month to wait...

Although I see one of the big twists is all over the net:

Bradley Walsh and Toisin Cole are leaving! I'm really going to miss Graham! Though it will mean an all-female TARDIS crew, which should be interesting.

Back