• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Yeah...re: tennant doc.....v.angry and shouty.........should be good, but why the rose pandering goofyness mcChav traits? While I like the idea of an angry doc, and can stomach the lonely god stuff..........Jarvis Cocker is not scarey....repeat...........

I think perhaps the second part of the Cybermen story was better than the first. At least, I liked some of the Doctor's lines more! "I'd say you were a genius, but I'm in the room" for starters. I dunno. Perhaps I looked forward to it too much or something. And, speaking as one who's never found the Rose angle that annoying before, I was getting really fed up of it in those two episodes.

I missed last night's on account of dashing out on a mercy mission whilst staying at my Mom and Dad's for the weekend. Friend got stranded by a taxi driver who refused to pick him up - because he's disabled and it would take too long to get him into the car. :roll:

Ravenstone said:
I think perhaps the second part of the Cybermen story was better than the first.

I'd agree with you there, it felt like the old Doc episodes in that everyone splits up with different objectives and then all come together at the end. And any London location (Battersea) just reminds of the Pertwee era stories. I thought the second Cyberman episode was one of the best.

I'm sure Mickey / Thickey will be back along with the bad guys too!

I gotta say though I'm a bit fed up with the Doctor getting kissed every other episode. No offense to Mr. Davis but his episodes aren't the great ones IMHO.

mooks out

stuneville said:
Mob1138 said:
Ravenstone said:
Least favourite -
Well, much as it pains me to say it - the Cybermen. I looked forward to them so much, and they looked great, but I just thought the episodes were rather weak.

Season 2 has generally been very, very weak so far. ..... and the Cybermen episodes were dismal.
I agree that the Cybermen episode did over-egg the pudding a bit: it felt like they'd fleshed it out to two episodes just so they could jam a cliff-hanger in the middle. However, I totally disagree that it was dismal. And I'm enjoying this series over all: good stories (by and large) nippily told, rather than spreading one wonky premise very thinly over six weeks.

Fair enough if you liked it, i found the story horribly clunky, poorly acted and as for the resolution to the cliffhanger (ooo, thats handy innit) was just terrible. The redesign of the Cybermen was great, as was the idea of alternate worlds but it was wasted to drag the increasingly tedious Rose subplot to the fore.

This series has had high pointsbut it needs to tighten up on the script as some episodes have been too sloppy (New Earth, the Cybermen ones).

So far this season, I've really enjoyed most of the stories. The Cybermen episodes were great, if only for nostalgic reasons, although I did get my knickers in a twist trying to resolve the knotty problem of whether this story has any connection with the birth of the Cybermen in the "normal" Who universe.

The best story, against my expectations, was "The Girl in the Fireplace", which really handled the emotional problems of time-travel in a believable way - just a great tale. This week, however, was rubbish. Watchable rubbish, but will anyone ever want to re-watch "The Wire"? I doubt it very much.

I think this one showed up the limitations with the new episode lengths - everything seemed too rushed, the story had to be told in just over 40 minutes. I'm all for telling the story in one go (how frustrating was it in the old series to have to watch the programme at 25 minutes per week?), but perhaps 60 minutes might serve the show better. Mind you, it didn't help that we wasted time on more father-based soap-opera crap - they could've lost 5 minutes of that, and found time for 5 minutes more of the Doctor's part of the story.

I agree with previous posters re Tennant's Doctor, though - he's great, but he regularly gets really angry, then has to calm down rapidly for the story to progress. It's all getting a bit tiring, especially when sontrasted with the general arsing around which occurs when the Doctor and Rose are together.

Peripart said:
I think this one showed up the limitations with the new episode lengths - everything seemed too rushed, the story had to be told in just over 40 minutes. I'm all for telling the story in one go (how frustrating was it in the old series to have to watch the programme at 25 minutes per week?), but perhaps 60 minutes might serve the show better.
Nope - 45-50 minutes is the optimum if they want to sell it abroad, particularly to the USA. As you no doubt know already, that's why Star Trek etc are all that length when shown on the Beeb as there's no commercials. US television schedules everything based on multiples of 30 minutes, ads included, so a 1 hour BBC production would air (uncut) for 1 hour 20 minutes odd over there. Very difficult to shoehorn that into a schedule that by and large starts programmes on the hour or half-past.

Look what happens when UK Gold shows BBC half-hour programmes.
Mind you, it didn't help that we wasted time on more father-based soap-opera crap - they could've lost 5 minutes of that, and found time for 5 minutes more of the Doctor's part of the story.
Yeah - Jamie Foreman's a good actor, but they largely wasted him in this. What sort of point was Gatiss trying to make there? Made sense to have a patriotic ex-serviceman in the Coronation year, but why make him a bully (apart from giving Rose an excuse to pass on some more of her utterly irrelevant to the story girl-power schtick)?

stuneville said:
giving Rose an excuse to pass on some more of her utterly irrelevant to the story girl-power schtick)?

Ah yes. What little I did catch included what is obviously Rose's favourite Trivial Pursuit question. Makes you want to slap her, dunnit?

Ive never been interested in Doctor who in the slightest, I found the old episodes boring and extremeley difficult watch, the acting was shoddy and the plots and stories bad.

I watched the first (new series) season with Chris Eccleston and was pleasantly surprised by some of the episodes, a couple of them were really bad but overall it was an ok series, I thought he played the Doctor well even if he was a little aggresive at times, the trouble is my children are now hooked on Doctor who and have to watch it at least 4 times a day (why did I get Sky+!) to get their fix.

But that also means I have to watch it, I thought it would be more a case of enduring the second new series, mainly because ive never really liked David Tennant as an actor and the Christmas special really didnt do a lot for him. I have however enjoyed this series very much, I agree that The Girl in the fireplace episode was excellent and the "poorly" people (thats what my children call it) episode was also good.

The cyberman episode promised so much and delivered very little, the first episode was bordering on the tedious, but it did build up to an exciting climax, and I was waiting with anticipation for the conclusion, when the conclusion came I was gutted, the Doctor pulled this weapon out of his pocket that he must have summoned from somewhere and wiped them out in one shot (boring), then it did really get worse from there on.

David Tennant has surprised me a great deal and is in fact a very good Doctor, Billie piper is a terrible sidekick and should be replaced, her acting is pathetic at times.

I wont be going back to pursue the older episodes, and have no real desire to understand anything about the Doctors universe, to me they are just entertaining sci-fi shows that I can enjoy with my children in the evening.

painy2 said:
I wont be going back to pursue the older episodes, and have no real desire to understand anything about the Doctors universe, to me they are just entertaining sci-fi shows that I can enjoy with my children in the evening.

Yay!

Well, that's the purpose of the show. So if it's done that, and the kids like it, then huzzah!

A word of warning. The whisper from a Beeb insider is that the next episode (which should be 'The Impossible Planet') is scary. Not 'hide behind the sofa' scary but 'coming soon to a nightmare near you' scary.

I'm looking forward to it.

There's been David Icke style stuff in the Slitheen and Werewolf episodes - government and royalty secretly aliens.

gncxx said:
How about David Icke as the Master?

Wasn't Davros , confined to a wheelchair, originally a former Professional Footballer who had to retire due to injury ?

-

Rrose_Selavy said:
gncxx said:

Wasn't Davros , confined to a wheelchair, originally a former Professional Footballer who had to retire due to injury ?

-

It's in one of the Annuals somewhere...as far as I remember the injury was faked. Davros took a monumental dive to clinch a vital penalty which ended up winning the match for Dynamo Kaled. The Thals objected strongly and forced Davros to maintain the charade indefinitely. He confined himself to a wheelchair and took to movitational speaking. Meanwhile, Thals United supporters were able to piece together video evidence that seemed to debunk the claim. Things degenerated from there, leading to a terrible war.

Echoes of this remain. In a scene that was cut from 'The Parting of the Ways' the Daleks encircle The Doctor and demand to know who ate all the pies.

I did unexpectedly come across a coupl eof spoilers for the last 2 episodes of the series today, I want print spoilers now but if anyone is interested I will later.

painy2 said:
I did unexpectedly come across a coupl eof spoilers for the last 2 episodes of the series today, I want print spoilers now but if anyone is interested I will later.
I'm interested. Could you print them when the series finishes by any chance?

;)

ghostdog19 said:
painy2 said:
I'm interested. Could you print them when the series finishes by any chance?

;)

Not much of a spoiler then!!! I will post them in link form then whoever chooses to press on those links its up to them!

Spoiler 1

Spolier 2

Spoiler 3 look at the cast of characters

painy2 said:
Not much of a spoiler then!!! I will post them in link form then whoever chooses to press on those links its up to them!
[/url]
The first two I knew, but cool pictures anyway. The last one however I hadn't even considered, but of course it makes sense. Nice find painy.

They had real trouble keeping anything under wraps in season one (at one point RTD did mention that part of the reason was down to the Hutton Report and the fact that they couldn't lie about what they were doing when asked by reporters).

Imagine how amazing the end of season one would have been had you not known that Eccles was leaving!

ghostdog19 said:
painy2 said:
[/url]
The first two I knew, but cool pictures anyway. The last one however I hadn't even considered, but of course it makes sense. Nice find painy.

I had a feeling that you guys would already know about it!

Hmmm. I could see a Dr. Who episode featuring a mysterious and sinister new-age guru who pops up in California; he spouts the most preposterous claptrap, but strangely enough, a lot of people believe him. Suspecting that some sort of mind-control device might be in operation here, the Doctor duly investigates...

The episode ends with a twist; the guru ain't an alien intergalactic mastermind at all, just a gullible twit who has managed to convince a load of other gullible twits of his BS. Cut to the doctor returning to the Tardis with a frown on his face, muttering darkly about 'stupid apes'...

barfing_pumpkin said:
The episode ends with a twist; the guru ain't an alien intergalactic mastermind at all, just a gullible twit who has managed to convince a load of other gullible twits of his BS. Cut to the doctor returning to the Tardis with a frown on his face, muttering darkly about 'stupid apes'...

Interesting.

Put a twist on the twist: the Guru is a cynical moneymaker preying on the gullibility of his flock; he talks about alien contact and how his followers will eventually leave the planet having been rescued by an enlightened race. As the Doctor discovers, however, all the Guru has managed to do is attract a group of stranded Real Aliens who are desperately trying to avoid the attentions of UNIT, or that Torchwood mob.

painy2 said:
ghostdog19 said:
painy2 said:
[/url]

I had a feeling that you guys would already know about it!

Hmm..

The third was mentioned in the previous Who thread and greeted with some er... skepticism

http://www.forteantimes.com/phpBB2/view ... start=1455

See page 98 , 5th post by Mob 1138 for details.

-

The Davros thing isn't going to happen. For one, RTD says (with the exception of Genesis of the Daleks) that Davros was a bit crap and weakened the Daleks. The other reason is as mentioned before.

Mob1138 said:
The Davros thing isn't going to happen. For one, RTD says (with the exception of Genesis of the Daleks) that Davros was a bit crap and weakened the Daleks. The other reason is as mentioned before.

Then why did he give the Alt. Cybermen a barking mad creator in a wheelchair?

Doctor_Occupant said:
Mob1138 said:

Then why did he give the Alt. Cybermen a barking mad creator in a wheelchair?

Because Roger whatshisface had a broken leg while filming, apparently.

"The Impossible Planet" was superbly assembled, but it was a bit (even a lot) like Event Horizon and I don't like that film much, so this episode won't be one of my favourites. But yes, the quarry was there, and well used too. I'm hoping next week's will be more like Disney's The Black Hole, which I like more.

The Ood,
Look rather rude,
When viewed,
From behind.

Cracking episode, tho - can't wait for the conclusion. Speaking of influences - yes, Event Horizon was definitely there, but I got more of a 'Quantermass and the Pit' meets 'Prince of Darkness' vibe out of the thing.

The FX were stunning - the Ood makeup especially (when, er, seen from the front, that is). Even the gravel pit didn't look at all like a gravel pit - it took DW confidential to reveal the trick behind that. Only one minor gripe - the Doctor seemed a bit too passive in this one; a bit too content to sit back and let the story unfold. Still, it's a two partner, so I'm sure we'll see him exercise his mettle in his confrontation with the devil next week.

Aliens! At last! Proper aliens! :D

I did get a nasty feeling when Rose got her mobile 'phone out. I thought, if she 'phones her bloody mother now I'm gonna freak.... ;)

Nice thing about TARDIS' being grown, not built. I do think the Doctor should fix some kind of locating thing, though. Rather like those annoying key fobs that bleep when you whistle for them. ;)

Aliens AND the Prince of Darkness! Mind you, I think I'll wet meself laughing if Ozzy Osbourne crawls out of that pit next Saturday night.

I really enjoyed this one.

I will be slightly miffed if the Devil looks like... well the Devil. That'd be a bit cheesy. Considering all the tentacle faces I'm hoping for something Lovecraftian.

Back