• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Ravenstone said:
Well, I know there were spoilers, but I just didn't believe 'em :D

It's all a bit Alien -v- Predator, don't you think? But in a good way?

Mind you, I can't see it working. Daleks don't like anything human(or at least non-Dalek); Cybermen have human bits; both have a penchant for world domination, and a bad previous record for sharing their toys. Hmmmmm..... ;)

And there was me expecting the Prince of Darkness to come out of the sphere.
If I recall correctly (and no doubt Gordon will correct me if I don't) there is a precedent. I can't remember any details, but I'm not talking about The Five Doctors or anything. I think it was John Pertwee (it would certainly fit in with the general feel of the show around then), but I could be completely wrong, and have made it up as part of a recovered memory.

Off to check episode guides.

Yeah, I think the Daleks teamed up with the Master for a Pertwee story. Similar surprise end-of-episode revelation, too.

Damn fine episode.

The importance of the 3-D glasses is explained in Doomsday.

Iconic Who moments abound, though.

The Cybermen smash down a suburban door to menace the family huddled on the stairs. Child flees up, Cyberman waiting.

The 'thumbs up' moment from a certain Preacher.

And, of course, the Daleks. I saw them arrive, I grinned to myself and thought "Boy are the cybermen in trouble now" and then realised that they two groups don't know about each other yet.

In all fanboyness, we finally get to see who's toughest. Awesome.

[Geek mode] The Daleks have got thousands of years of development in technology behind them, while the Cybermen presumably come from an alternate 21st century Earth.
In theory the pepperpots should wipe the floor with them. [/geek mode]

Anyway, not all the Doctors have been pinko hippies. The first Doc was an old curmudgeon, and the third was a frilly shirted action man with a distinct authoritarian streak. I get the impression Colin Baker was trying to be a martinet, but I rarely watched the show at that time.

LINK
Doctor Who ReAnimated!
Two lost episodes recreated for DVD release.

We're delighted to announce that in November, 1968's Cyber-epic The Invasion will be released on DVD - including fully-animated recreations of two missing episodes, by world-renowned studio Cosgrove Hall.

This Invasion stars Patrick Troughton as the Second Doctor in a battle with the Cybermen. Episodes One and Four from this eight-part story have long been missing from the BBC's archives, but the soundtracks survived.

Sophie Walpole, head of the BBC's Interactive Drama & Entertainment division, explained the thinking behind the project. "In the year that the Cyberman have returned to Doctor Who, it seemed a good idea to complete one of their finest outings from the 1960s," she said. "We have found a unique and innovative way of presenting this classic adventure with new animation fitted to the lovingly restored soundtrack."

Cosgrove Hall's Lead Animator Steve Maher found the job of recreating a black and white TV adventure "a slightly surreal experience", but explained that animating Patrick Troughton's Doctor was a real treat. "He has a wonderfully animatable face, so he was a gift. Baddies are invariably more fun to depict than the good guys so the sneering, unblinking Tobias Vaughn was a lot of fun, too."

The company had previously worked on the 40th anniversary Doctor Who story, and have been able to significantly advance the techniques they developed for The Invasion.

Freema Agyeman confirmed as new companion to Doctor Who

Category: TV Drama; BBC ONE; Wales
Date: 05.07.2006

This press release is embargoed until 0001 hours (UK time), Wednesday 5 July 2006.

Before that time this release can only be accessed via the link you have been emailed.

Newcomer Freema Agyeman is confirmed to play Martha Jones, the new companion to Doctor Who, it was announced today by Jane Tranter, BBC Controller of Drama Commissioning.

Doctor Who fans have already met Agyeman as Adeola in episode 12 of the current series of Doctor Who but, as viewers will have seen last Saturday evening, this character suffered a terrible fate at the hands of the Cybermen.

Freema will be playing a brand new character in series three.

Executive producer/writer Russell T Davies says: "The search for a new companion had been underway for some time when I first saw Freema Agyeman, she had come in to audition for the part of Adeola in series two.

"Watching her during filming confirmed what an exciting new talent she was, so under cover of darkness we called her back in to audition with David for the role of the new companion.

"It was an immediate and sensational combination, and her range, presence and charm blew us all away.

"David and Freema are terrific together, and we're delighted to have chosen her to join the Doctor for more adventures in time and space.

"The first scripts have been written, and Martha's a brilliant addition to the Tardis crew, the perfect foil for the Doctor.

"Martha won't be featured in this year's Christmas special; we've got another surprise in store for that."

Freema Agyeman says: "I've been keeping this secret from my friends for months - it's been driving me mad!

"Auditioning with David in secret down in Cardiff was unbelievable, but I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd actually become the new companion.

"Billie rightfully built up an amazing fan base and she will be missed, but I hope the fans are willing to go on new adventures with me.

"It still hasn't quite sunk in, I'm sure it will slam home first day on set when I'm stood gazing at David Tennant!"

David Tennant adds: "Freema was a joy to work with in episode 12 of the current series. She is not only very talented and very beautiful, she's great fun and I'm delighted she's coming on board the TARDIS full time.

"I can't wait to welcome her into the Who family."

Freema Agyeman is 27 years old and was born and brought up in London.

A new 13-part adventure and Christmas special begins filming in Cardiff in the summer for transmission on BBC ONE.

Doctor Who is a BBC Wales production for BBC ONE.

JF

Category: TV Drama; BBC ONE; Wales
Date: 05.07.2006

www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases ... man2.shtml

New Who girl for Tardis

By SARA NATHAN
TV Editor

FORMER Crossroads stunner Freema Agyeman was last night revealed to be the front-runner to replace Billie Piper in Doctor Who.

Freema, 26, will appear in the final two episodes of the BBC1 sci-fi’s current series playing the character Adeola.

She joins the Timelord — played by David Tennant — and his sidekick Rose Tyler in battle against the dreaded Cybermen.

Insiders say Freema, will join the Doctor in the Tardis full-time in the third series after her appearance in the episodes called Army Of Ghosts and Doomsday.

As we told exclusively yesterday, Billie will NOT be returning for the Christmas special or the new series.

The highlight of Freema’s career so far has been playing seductress Lola Wise in doomed ITV soap Crossroads in 2001.

She said: “I loved playing Lola. She was an 18-year-old girl with a lot of angst. She wanted to sleep with all the boys and have fun.”

The Londoner, who left Middlesex University with a BA Honours degree in Performing Arts and Design, also appeared in Casualty, The Bill and Silent Witness.

Last night a BBC source said: “Freema is a fantastic actress. She is great in the final episode.

“And she is more than capable of stepping into Billie’s shoes to play the Doctor’s new cohort.

“No one knew Billie could act before we gave her the job — and she has proved to be a sensation.”

Freema, who also studied at Radford University in Virginia in America, could join the Timelord in new adventures that will see them meeting Shakespeare in the third series. Filming starts in just five weeks.

Executive producer Julie Gardener said: “We are in pre-production on Doctor Who 3. We’ll be filming for 34 weeks beginning with a Christmas special.”

Last night a BBC spokeswoman refused to confirm Freema was taking over from Billie as Dr Who’s sidekick.

Other names linked to the role include former EastEnder Michelle Ryan (Zoe Slater).

She is believed to have auditioned with show bosses for the part.

Billie, 23, is currently filming the BBC’s adaptation of Philip Pullman’s The Ruby In The Smoke, in which she plays Victorian sleuth Sally Lockhart.

The ex-pop star — former wife of DJ Chris Evans — is expected to start filming on a second Pullman novel The Shadow In The North later this summer.

www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2006270818,00.html

then she shouldnt have been cast as a recognizable character that plays an important role then dies.

Thats poor casting IMO and kinda sucks.

People have played recognizable characters and come back as someone else.

Peter Purves as Morton Dill and then as Steven Taylor, within a few episodes.

Coin Baker as Commander (or Captain?) Maxil of the Citadel Guard on gallifrey, and then as the Doctor

Lalla Ward was two different characters as well, although they made up a flimsy excuse for the resemblance. Maybe this new girl is the dead one's twin sister? Or a double from a different dimension?

Timble2 said:
People have played recognizable characters and come back as someone else.

Peter Purves as Morton Dill and then as Steven Taylor, within a few episodes.

Coin Baker as Commander (or Captain?) Maxil of the Citadel Guard on gallifrey, and then as the Doctor

And lest we forget, the chap who played Brigadier was originally in the Dalek's Master Plan as Bret Vyon.

Maybe it is just an age thing (the whole R2D2/C3PO=good, Jar-Jar Binks=bad thing) but I've really not enjoyed the new Dr Who.

For me the Peter Davison era was the golden age and that was probably stupid and rubbish to older viewers.

I just find whenever I've watched the new version, both Eccleston and Tennant, it has seemed like it should be on CBBC.

It could have been so good as well!

:(

McAvennie_ said:

For me the Peter Davison era was the golden age and that was probably stupid and rubbish to older viewers.

Now that shows amazing insight! :shock:

Actually, I was too busy working during most of the post Tom Baker Doctors and for quite a long time, every time I turned over, Bonnie Langford was screaming.

Now, I've got kids the right age for the new series, so now I see form the viewpoint of a dad and fan from the very, very, early days.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Now, I've got kids the right age for the new series, so now I see form the viewpoint of a dad and fan from the very, very, early days.
Ditto, although I persevered through the Davison years in the vain hope that it would improve somehow. As soon as Colin Baker turned up I walked away, occasionally tuning in just to see if things had got better.

As with you, though, my kids are also of the right age to properly appreciate it, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole thing too :).

stuneville said:
Pietro_Mercurios said:
Ditto, although I persevered through the Davison years in the vain hope that it would improve somehow. As soon as Colin Baker turned up I walked away, occasionally tuning in just to see if things had got better.

As with you, though, my kids are also of the right age to properly appreciate it, and I'm thoroughly enjoying the whole thing too :).

Total agreement on all points 8) the kids are loving it, 7& eleven twelfths and 5 :p I hear the next companion is an ex corrie actress, anyone know who ?

crunchy5 said:
Total agreement on all points 8) the kids are loving it, 7& eleven twelfths and 5 :p I hear the next companion is an ex corrie actress, anyone know who ?

Bet Lynch - that really would frighten the Darleks! :)

austen27 said:

Ena Sharples could make a passable Davros:

sharples_ena3.gif

Davros

Davros.jpg

Ena Sharples

Heckler20 said:
austen27 said:

Ena Sharples could make a passable Davros....

But as she died about 25 years ago, she'd have to do it FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE.

Mind you, with CGI etc, there're now several actors for whom death hasn't been the end of their careers.

Timble2 said:
Mind you, with CGI etc, there're now several actors for whom death hasn't been the end of their careers.

Keanu Reeves has always been dead from the neck up and it hasn't affected his career.

Heckler20 said:
Keanu Reeves has always been dead from the neck up and it hasn't affected his career.

Particularly his peformance in Johnny Mnemonic where he gives the most believable perfomance of his career as someone whose personality has been surgically removed...

Perhaps he'd do a guest spot on Doctor Who as one of the Tree people, he's wooden enough...

Taken from the Mighty Emperor’s post a page or so back……

"Freema Agyeman is 27 years old and was born and brought up in London."
Say the BBC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/07_july/05/agyeman2.shtml

"Freema, 26, will appear in the final two episodes of the BBC1 sci-fi’s current series playing the character Adeola."
Say the Sun
http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2006270818,00.html

She seems a perfect choice, time travel seems to come naturally to her!!!!!!

And, according to rumour in the Daily Mirror, they will face the Ice Warriors next season..

Anome_ said:
If I recall correctly (and no doubt Gordon will correct me if I don't) there is a precedent. I can't remember any details, but I'm not talking about The Five Doctors or anything. I think it was John Pertwee (it would certainly fit in with the general feel of the show around then), but I could be completely wrong, and have made it up as part of a recovered memory.

Off to check episode guides.

Sorry

The Master and the Daleks in the Jon Pertwee story Frontier in Space although they ultimately betray him.

Gordon

The Master was the first one who called the daleks, "Stupid Pepperpots!" in character in Frontier in Space.

Davidson's Doctor was alright and I'm a Pertwee / Baker era fan. The problem with Davidson's era was the lack of budget. The effects started to wane toward the end of Baker's era just as Star Wars went global. (Remember that terrible publicity still of Tom Baker in Megaloplis and he's wearing spikey gloves??). Davidson's Doctor is actually closer to Eccleston and Tennant in that he a wee bit emotional and for the episodes I did catch was alright. The effects in the new series are a lot more believable.

I don't think Davidson's earlier companions didn't helped either.

Sontarons. I vote for Sontarons.

Nobody's mentioned the obvious Sphere moments from last weeks, which makes me wonder if Torchwood is running a simulation to test the Doctor?

Bring on the final episode!

Silurians, i would love to see the sea devils back. The doctor won't have to go to far to find them after all they are in the English Channel (or is it the north sea) Quick we need a who head to find out.

I was very impressed with Davidson in the serial 'Warriors of the Deep'; the despair he expressed at the end when all the 'monsters' were dead was very well done.
Sometimes the 'emotional card' can be overplayed a bit though, and there have been a fair few emotional moments in the recent series; come on RTD; this isn't an American series you are making here. I vote for a bit more stiff upper lip, what.

McAvennie_ said:

The Davidson era was the start of the slow death of the show. Not that Davidson was a bad Doctor, he wasn't, but the scripts were largely rubbish and the show started getting clogged down in gimmicky guest appearences (Beryl Reid?!) and continuity.

Like a few others here i gave up on the show during the Colin Baker years and found a lot of the McCoy era dismal. In retrospect Colin Baker wasn't bad, he just wasn't given a chance and had the worst scripts in the shows history. McCoy was actually better than i thought at the time.

Tennant i like a lot, he's clearly loving playing the role, something Eccleston never always seemed to have. I hope though they sort out more consistant scripts for him next season.

Charlie Brooker's screen burn

Saturday July 8, 2006
The Guardian

Goodbye, England's Rose. Yes, tonight's the night Billie Piper exits Doctor Who (7pm, BBC1) following her two-year tenure. When it was first announced that the revived Doctor's travelling companion was to be played by Piper, a former kiddywink popstar, I rolled my eyes so violently I found myself staring backward into my own skull. It's Bonnie Langford all over again, I figured.

How pitifully wrong I was. Anyone who thinks she's been anything other than excellent is a brick-hearted stump of a being. Effortlessly balancing feistiness and charm, vulnerability and goofiness, Billie Piper out-acted almost everyone else on television.

Out-sassed them too. She's extremely good-looking in a most peculiar way: her eyes, mouth and nostrils all seem to be competing to see which can look biggest on her face. At times she resembles a Spitting Image caricature of herself. It shouldn't work, but it does. You'll miss her when she's gone.

As for how she's gone, I've no idea - at the time of writing, no preview tapes of tonight's finale were available. I like that. Makes for more of an event. Not enough of them these days. As for series two as a whole... well, it's been bumpy. My series three wishlist runs as follows:

1: Curb the zaniness. David Tennant's Doctor alternates between "boggle-eyed schoolroom wacko" and "concerned intergalactic statesman" almost without warning. There's too much of the former, not nearly enough of the latter, and precious little in-between. A bit of mucking about is fine; too much and it all starts to resemble The Adventures Of Timmy Mallett In Space.

2: Enough déjà vu, already. Too often, the Doctor seemed scripted as a seen-it-all-before smartarse hell-bent on greeting every creature, artefact, space station and gizmo with a loudly over-familiar "oh, it's YOU" bordering on camp. At its worst, this is a bit like going on holiday with someone who's visited your destination before, and behaves like a squawking tourist guide the whole time you're there, pointing out the best cafes and choosing from the menu on your behalf until you feel like ramming their digital camera up their arse, just so they'll be able to take home a picture of something they haven't seen before. I know the Doctor's been exploring the universe for eons, but a touch more humility would be nice.

3: More two-parters, please. Several three- and four-parters wouldn't go amiss either. Partly because it'd be nice to give some of the stories more space to breathe, and partly because I'm presuming the economies of scale involved might make it possible to do away with the occasional "cost-cutting" talky episodes altogether.

4: More episodes directed by Euros Lyn. Not only were his episodes the most visually interesting, but his name sounds like a space station and therefore looks really cool in the credits.

5: My suggestions for next companion: Bez; Wayne Rooney; the entire cast of Channel 4's Coach Trip; a purple CGI blob with a retractable anteater's proboscis, voiced by Tim Westwood; Lisa Simpson; Chloe from 24; Charles Kennedy; Pink.

6: More scary monsters. OK, so tonight we're being treated to an all-out bundle between Daleks and Cybermen. That's great. But some new regular nasties would be nice. Not the Slitheen; they're just silly. I want to see an all-new race of humourless, fascistic bastards worthy of ranking alongside the old favourites. Oh, and they should be armed with drills. Not lasers. Drills.

7. Stop the continuity announcers talking over the end credits so we can hear the theme tune properly.

Anyway, that's my two penneth. Said gripes and suggestions are, of course, borne out of love. Although I found myself in the uncomfortable position of utterly hating one episode this series (the Love and Monsters wack-a-thon starring Peter Kay), and although it's a series aimed primarily at an audience yet to experience puberty, it's still the most consistently inventive, lovingly-crafted British drama on TV. Fact!

www.guardian.co.uk/theguide/columnists/ ... 66,00.html

Back