• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

gncxx said:
Don't tell me that was the Rani's hand.

I thought "Bloody hell, is that the Rani??" but the nail varnish was red, the same as the Master's 'wife', Lucy. There was that close-up of her hand when she shot him.

So, I think it was her - she'd travelled with him in the Tardis to the end of the Universe to create the Toclafane and it looked like that's where the Doctor had the funeral pyre.

Maybe she's got some time travel artefact that the Master whipped up?

She did appear a bit unstable (as you would, living with the Master and being his emotional and physical punchbag) so maybe she'll be making a reappearance in the next series.

Or maybe Lucy is the Rani! She's been mooted as making a comeback. Can't really see how she'd put up with being The Master's doormat for any length of time, but she's a sly one, that girl...

Speaking of references, did anyone else pick up on the faint Peter Pan theme that seemed to be running through it all? The Master and his beating of drums had some resonances with Captain Hook and his ticking crocodile; the Toclafane were obviously the lost boys (with Utopia serving as a dark inversion of the never-never land); and the Doctor's sort of regeneration thing, with everybody calling out 'Doctor' all over the world, was more than a little similar to 'I do Believe in Fairies, I do, I do ...'

Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it. I would mean, after all, that the Doctor would be Tinkerbell - when we all know, in fact, that it should be Captain Jack (ho ho).

Speaking of themes, I think the fact that the final episode featured the human race at war with its dark future self spoke volumes. And the ruthless side of the Doctor has certainly been amped up recently. Personally, I reckon all this is leading up to the Valeyard - either in the next series, or the one after.

I'd say there's a definite Peter Pan undertone, with the Doctor effectively (to human beings) being immortal while his companions grow older and move on and die, Peter is also a fairly lonely character.

I don't think we'll see the Valeyard, too continuity-based from a series when only the hardcore were really watching. Don't think the Rani will be back for similar reasons.

Or maybe Lucy is the Rani!

i'd been thinking that myself... or maybe the master's just realised the value of having a 'companion' to bale him out when the shit hits the fan...

...not too sure about this finale... entertaining but a bit cheap and contrived in places... and the flash gordon ending was a bit much / too obvious.

Doctor Who to get extra companion

Agyeman's character, a trainee doctor, arrived in the show in March
Doctor Who is to have a new companion when the drama returns - but there will still be room for his current co-star.

Actress Freema Agyeman is to play Martha Jones in three episodes of spin-off show Torchwood. She said it was a chance to "expand" her character.

She will miss the first half of the fourth series of Doctor Who, but will then return to the BBC One programme.

The new companion will be revealed soon and will appear in the entire 13-week run, which begins filming this month.

Former Crossroads actress Agyeman, 28, impressed producers with a brief appearance in the minor role of alien expert Adeola.

They invited her to try for the part of David Tennant's sidekick when Billie Piper left at the end of the second series. The show is in its fourth series since its revival in 2005, having ended previously in 1989 after 26 years.

Freema Agyeman and John Barrowman in Doctor Who
Martha Jones will spend more time with Torchwood's Captain Jack
The third series of Doctor Who, which concluded in the UK on Saturday, had gained "outstanding reviews", according to Russell T Davies, its executive producer and head writer.

"Freema has been a huge part of that success, gaining rave notices for her portrayal of Martha," he added.

"Now we are taking the character of Martha into brand new territory with a starring role in Torchwood."

In May, Agyeman told BBC News how overwhelming it felt to be constantly recognised in public.

"Everyone's calling my name so it feels surreal," she said, as she walked up the red carpet at the Bafta TV Awards.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6260374.stm

(cross-overs - very buffy and angel)

Alexandra Moen (Lucy Saxon) - wet lettuce award for underacting?

maybe I blinked but she was definitely a loose end not tidied up in the final ep. so maybe she's the next companion?

In the 2007 series finale "Last of the Time Lords", the episode finishes with a female hand (body offscreen) with bright red fingernails - similar to Kate O'Mara's hands as the Rani - picking up The Master's ring. In the podcast commentary of the episode, Russell T. Davies referes to is as "The hand of the Rani", and also states that they will not be picking up on that scene next year, he just put it in there to give any future production teams something to use if they want to bring back The Master.

If you listen to the podcast Davies is clearly taking the piss when he mentions the Rani.

Mob1138 said:
If you listen to the podcast Davies is clearly taking the piss when he mentions the Rani.
Ooh! I hope so! How many last of the Time Lords can there be? :confused:

The thing is...the best thing to come out of that whole era of the Doc (post Baker)...was Turlough.

Russell if your reading...how about a companion who sells him out? Set's him up?

Is that why Martha's aboard? You don't know what you've got until it's gone!

Or will we sell out and bring on a love interest fo the Doc?

mooks

Won't the Tenth Doctor have to be careful not to bump into his Ninth regeneration version on the Titanic?
Or could that be part of the story?
Eccleston and Tennant working together - now that could be splendid!

Hot_Cross_Nun said:
Won't the Tenth Doctor have to be careful not to bump into his Ninth regeneration version on the Titanic?
Or the first. The William Hartnell Doctor was there, during The Chase.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Hot_Cross_Nun said:

Haven't watched it recently but I'm certain he wasn't - he was on the Mary Celeste in that story and that was the only ship (the daleks appeared on it as well, spooking the crew who abandonded ship - mystery solved).

Gordon

Indeed it was the Mary Celeste (watched it again a few months back).

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Hot_Cross_Nun said:
Sadly, I think that William Hartnell is currently still dead, but if that changes, I'm sure RTD will be in touch. Equally sadly, the lookey-likey Richard Hurndall also died shortly after the Five Doctors.

A propos of nothing in particular, I was thinking along the lines of the Doctor meeting his past incarnations the other day, although I hadn't thought about the Ecclestone/ Titanic connection - Actually, didn't Mark Benton's character show Rose a picture of the Doctor with a family who he had warned not to board the Titanic? Not sure.

It occurred to me that we never saw enough of Paul McGann's character, and that maybe he could do a bit of a comeback, crossing paths with Tennant, even accidentally (More Two Doctors than Three/Five Doctors, if you're still with me). Maybe we could even have the scenario where Tennant, Ecclestone, McGann, McCoy (if he lost a bit of weight) and Peter Davison do the episodes in rotation. This is a show about time travel, after all, so who says we have to see the stories in chronological order?

OK, so I'm probably being silly, and if you put Peter Davison in cricket kit up on the screen, all the new fans would wonder what the flip was going on, but I definitely think there's scope for the eigth or ninth doctors to pop up at some point - incidentally, do we know anything about what turned McGann into Ecclestone?

Sod it - while I'm speculating pointlessly about different doctors bumping into each other, I wonder: if you put Sean Pertwee in a curly grey wig, could he pass himself off as Jon? Of course, what I'm skirting around, but what every boy my age wants, is the return of Tom Baker! We've had alternate time-lines galore in recent years, so wouldn't it be great to come across a slightly mad old codger in a parallel world (called John Smith, natch) with a penchant for long scarves and jelly babies? It's be worth it just to hear the voice again!

Kylie stars in festive Doctor Who

Russell T Davies is "delighted" to have Kylie in the show

Pop star Kylie Minogue is to have "a major lead role" in this year's Christmas special of Doctor Who.

The star will join David Tennant for Voyage of the Damned, an hour-long show following on from the current series, which ended in the UK on Saturday.

"This will be the most ambitious and best Christmas episode yet," promised executive producer Russell T Davies, who has also written the script.

Filming is scheduled to begin in Cardiff later this month.

'Delighted and excited'

There had been rumours for several weeks that Minogue, who halted her Showgirl world tour for 18 months when she was diagnosed with breast cancer, would appear in the show.

And Davies said he was "delighted and excited" to confirm the 39-year-old's participation.

Minogue, whose debut single I Should Be So Lucky topped the charts in 1987, is currently working on her 10th studio album.

Last year's Christmas special of Doctor Who - The Runaway Bride - starred comedian Catherine Tate alongside Tennant.

She played a woman who was upset at being transported into space as she walked down the aisle on her wedding day.

The episode, broadcast on BBC One on Christmas Day, attracted an audience of 9.4 million.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6262094.stm

Oh, crap!
Yes, well, I suppose it's a dream come true for him, but what about the poor viewer?
Last year's Christmas special of Doctor Who - The Runaway Bride - starred comedian Catherine Tate alongside Tennant.
...and it was rubbish.
She played a woman who was upset at being transported into space as she walked down the aisle on her wedding day.
Upset, yes, but bovvered? I think not.

Peripart said:
Oh, crap!
Yes, well, I suppose it's a dream come true for him, but what about the poor viewer?

Come on, Kylie was brilliant in Street Fighter. When I say "brilliant" I mean "present".

If Martha's going to Cardiff for a few episodes maybe Gwen from Torchwood is going traveling?

Heavy

If we;re bringing back a crap companion can I have Adric from a parallel universe please! Sheer acting genius still being pursued today...From A burger King in Kent IMO

Does anyone have a copy of "The Invasion In Time"?

Didn't the fourth Doctor say he wasn't responsible for the sinking of the Titanic?

mooks

EDIT - Another Doctor Who reference to the Titanic. Though Eccleston's Doc had a photo showing him stopping a family that were to board the Titanic (not actually on the deck), I seem to recall that in "The End Of The World" episode he said something along the lines of we ended up hanging onto an iceberg.

I laughed so hard when I read this. So many people on here are going to be so pissed off. ha! She's going to be in the TARDIS for pretty much the whole of series 4! ha!

Catherine Tate accepts proposal to star in fourth series.

Catherine Tate is set to return to the TARDIS for the complete 13 week run of Series Four of Doctor Who.

Award winning comedian Tate will reprise her role as Donna, the runaway bride from last year's Christmas special, despite turning down the Doctor's invitation to travel with him at the end of that adventure.

When Catherine was asked if she would like to become The Doctor's new companion at the press screening of The Runaway Bride, she replied, "I would love to, but no one has asked!" Well, now they have.

"Catherine was an absolute star in The Runaway Bride and we are delighted that one of Britain's greatest talents has agreed to join us for the fourth series," announced Doctor Who's executive producer and head writer, Russell T Davies. "Viewers can expect more ambitious storylines and a whole host of guest stars in 2008."

Catherine Tate : "I addedam delighted to be returning to Doctor Who. I had a blast last Christmas and look forward to travelling again through time and space with that nice man from Gallifrey."

Freema Agyeman who has played Martha Jones, The Doctor's companion throughout the critically acclaimed third series, will return to the show to join The Doctor and Donna mid series.

Disturbing memories of Bonnie Langford here.

Medic! Medic! I need my medication! :shock:

Couldn't we just have Ace back? Or Susan? I used to like her.

No no no. Martha worked so well because she was intelligent, someone the doctor could trust and talk to. This character is just some dappy woman.

No BBC. Stop it now while you still can

Yeah, but the companion is often a reason for the dads to tune in, not a role Miss Tate really fills. Killing her is a bit much, mind you. And she was surprisingly OK in the Christmas special.

I really enjoyed Catherine Tate's performance - a stroppy, gobby, charmless cow par excellence. Just what the Doctor needs. May Donna Noble be an inspiration to all the rest of us stroppy, gobby, charmless cows everywhere :lol:

There was a classic bit of dialogue in The Runaway Bride along the lines of:
"Don't you remember the spaceship over London?"
"I had a hangover."
"What about the Battle of Canary Wharf?"
"I was scuba diving in Spain."

I remember that dialogue going:

"Don't you remember the spaceship over London?"
"Bovvered?"
"What about the Battle of Canary Wharf?"
"Bovvered?"

Funny? fahking liberties

:roll: