• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Genesis of the Daleks

When Davros is first mentioned the Doctor says.

"Your chief scientist?"

And Davros doesn't recognise the Doctor though he knows he is an alien in the scene where the Mark 3 prototype (a dalek) has it's weapon fitted.

Given that it's been "re-invented" it's not impossible that the Doctor encountered a young Kaled scientist on the verge of a military project breakthrough that lead to the design of the dalek. Maybe he changed his name to Davros? Watch for the anagram name I say!

Anyhoo I'd rather Davros than the Rani.

Moooksta said:
Maybe he changed his name to Davros? Watch for the anagram name I say!
It's no anagram - it just short for "Dave Ross", or so I've heard.

They're releasing a Davros DVD box set next. Given as they brought out a Master box set to coincide with this years finale big bad, one would assume this is a similar marketing stratergy and Davros does indeed return. I Wonder now, however, if these rumors of Kingsley's casting are true, if we'll be seeing a story where pre Davros/Dalek.

I just thought they'd get Sir Ben done up in the makeup and put in the wheelchair.

Having a pre-Genesis story would just mess about too much with the continuum. I admit it's already somewhat messed up, but I hope they don't do that.

Better to have Davros resurface from wherever he hid during the Time War. Maybe the purist Daleks imprisoned him, or the Time Lords stuck him in stasis, or something, and he's building a new race of Daleks (thus providing the MacGuffin for more Daleks in later series).

Remember, too, that in Genesis, the Daleks were described as the "Mk III Travel Machine" (a fact of which RTD is certainly aware), so we could either revisit Mks I and II, or better still, let rip and have Davros showcase his Mk IV machines!

Anome_ said:
I just thought they'd get Sir Ben done up in the makeup and put in the wheelchair.
Ah, but, what would be the point of that? They get in an actor who'd they'd clearly only afford for one episode, but they'd want Davros for later episodes perhaps? By which point Davros is disfigured (heavy makeup anyone could wear) and has a different voice (probably that bloke who's doing all the voices at the mo, Briggs or whatever his name is), and bingo. for one episode you get the thesp in, playing pre-genesis Davros, then after that you get the heavy make up guy in for all the rest. Job done.

With regard to continuity, you have to remember that time itself was used as a weapon in "the last great time war", which is basically RTD's get out clause concerning continuity since the very start of the new show. The very existence of something could be eradicated from history itself meaning it never existed. It means RTD can change everything.

Time_War.JPG

Just watched The Runaway Bride again last night (on BBC3 - they seem to show all of the new series on a kind of continuous loop), and I have to admit that Catherine Tate wasn't quite as irritating as I remembered, so maybe the new series won't be a total disaster. She's still fairly annoying, though...

Anyway, I'm probably a bit late to the party, here, but it only occurred to me after last night's showing that the whole point of the story was to end up washing giant spiders down a giant plughole. Sounds like the writer may have brought his phobias to bear on the storyline!

Did anyone see the animated Doctor Who on BBC2 this morning? I think it's been on before but it's the first time I've watched it. It was run of the mill storywise, but looked nice enough, certainly better than the Richard E. Grant Internet thing of a few years ago, and it had David and Freema doing the voices, as a bonus.

Watch out for repeats, it's worth it during the wait for new episodes.

Reports in Australian press (which a quick google shows are about 2 weeks old) has Joan Collins playing the Rani in season 4.

DougalLongfoot said:
Reports in Australian press (which a quick google shows are about 2 weeks old) has Joan Collins playing the Rani in season 4.
Well, she's certainly old enough to play a Time Lord. Pity the regenerations didn't take, though.

For all you Who-fans out there, I've just spotted this gem on the BBC's "what's on" page:

Shada (the fabled "lost" story with Tom Baker)

OK, so it's more unfinished than lost, but it's never been shown on TV as far as I know (apart from a few scenes stolen for The Five Doctors when TB declined to take part). Actually, it's not being shown as such now, because it's going to be on BBC7 radio starting on Monday 10th September, with the first two episodes back-to-back.

My Who history is imperfect, so I don't know whether a full 25-minute soundtrack exists for each of the 6 episodes, or whether they've re-recorded bits, with perhaps some linking narration to help with the story-telling. I'd have thought it would have worked better condensed to 2 hours, but perhaps they're keen to broadcast everything that exists. Maybe this is a prelude to showing what's left of the story on TV - surely someone at the Beeb would volunteer to polish the existing footage so it could be broadcast?

Girl in the Fireplace won the Hugo for filmed fiction short form, it seems.

Doctor Who was over-represented with 3 out of 5 nominations, though. School Reunion and Army of Ghosts/Doomsday were the other two. I actually thought Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel was the best story from that season, though.

Still, if Blink doesn't get nominated for this season, then there will have to be an inquiry.

Peripart said:
My Who history is imperfect, so I don't know whether a full 25-minute soundtrack exists for each of the 6 episodes, or whether they've re-recorded bits, with perhaps some linking narration to help with the story-telling. I'd have thought it would have worked better condensed to 2 hours, but perhaps they're keen to broadcast everything that exists. Maybe this is a prelude to showing what's left of the story on TV - surely someone at the Beeb would volunteer to polish the existing footage so it could be broadcast?

It's probably the audio play re-recording from a few years back, with Paul McGann and Lalla Ward. It was broadcast over the Internet with Flash animated pictures.

Hm... will it be back at all?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6976178.stm

BBC reveals Doctor Who 'gap year'

David Tennant's appearance in the fifth series of Doctor Who looks uncertain after it was revealed there will be no new series in 2009.

The fourth series, starring Tennant, is due to hit TV screens next year, but the fifth will not be seen until 2010.

Instead, Tennant, will star in three Doctor Who specials, written by Russell T Davies, on BBC One in 2009.

A spokeswoman for Doctor Who said she was unable to comment whether Tennant would return for the 2010 series.

Tennant, 36, will reportedly play Hamlet with the Royal Shakespeare Company from July to November next year, but this has not been confirmed by the RSC.

'Best loved'

Series four, which went into production in July, will hit UK screens in spring 2008 with a special episode scheduled for Christmas 2008.

Comedian Catherine Tate is set to return to the Tardis for the complete 13-week run, reprising her role as Donna from the 2006 Christmas special.

Actress Freema Agyeman, who won praise for her portrayal of assistant Martha Jones, is also set to return during series four.

BBC Fiction controller Jane Tranter said: "Doctor Who is one of the BBC's best loved and most successful dramas.

"Its journey over the past three series has been one of the most ambitious and exciting that we have had, and I'm delighted to be able to confirm not only three exciting specials for 2009, but a fifth series in 2010. "

Menna Richards, controller of BBC Wales, said: "This announcement is marvellous news for all involved, and more importantly for the programme's amazing fan base and audience."

It'll be back, I'm sure - and I think a year out from who will be a good thing: for the writers it's a chance to take a break, and come back refreshed and brimming with new story ideas (thus preventing the show from going stale) and for the viewers ... well, as much as I like Who, there has been a bit of overkill on the whole thing, and it'll be good to get away from it for a while.

I'd like to see Tenant stick around a bit longer, too. When he was hired to replace Ecclestone he said he was in for the long haul as a fan of the show, and for me "long haul" means longer than three and a bit series.

Anome_ said:
I'd like to see Tenant stick around a bit longer, too. When he was hired to replace Ecclestone he said he was in for the long haul as a fan of the show, and for me "long haul" means longer than three and a bit series.
I agree with your fine sentiments, but look at the past - most doctors did no more than 3 years. Hartnell & Troughton did three each, Davison, Colin Baker & McCoy only managed two years apiece. Paul McGann showed promise but only did one show, and Christopher Eccleston was just gethering steam when he decided to back out. So the only actors who have ever been in the show for the "long haul" are Jon Pertwee with five seasons, and Tom Baker with seven. There's already a very good chance that Tennant will be at least third in the longevity stakes.

I hope he sticks around, anyway, not least because it does seem a bit odd (and yes, I know it's just fiction, so I shouldn't think quite so hard!) that a timelord who claims to be 800 years old has used up ten of his supposed 13 regenerations in 40 years. RTD is aware, is he, that he's fast running out of time and lives? I reckon they should find a way of turning back the clock, so when the Doctor next regenerates, he should turn back into Eccleston, and then McGann. Sadly, that would only work so far, because Doctors 4-7 are now too fat to fit into their old costumes, and doctors 1-3 are no longer with us. Mind you - could Sean Pertwee impersonate his dad? Oh dear, I'm off on one...

Well, I don't think David Troughton can quite replace his dad, either.

Besides, why would RTD care? He's leaving at the end of next season anyway. It's someone else's problem.

There are other ways around it. The Master has run out of lives once (cf Keeper of Traken, and The Five Doctors), and actually died at least once (cf the Paul McGann movie) and come back. (He claims he was resurrected to fight in the Time War, but why would the Time Lords resurrect him?)

Plus there are references to him as a "god" (New Earth), and one of the books (Lungbarrow) set just before the events in the movie) suggests he's actually the reincarnation of the "Third" founder of the Time Lords (along with Rassillon and Omega).

Anyway, they could just do it with a wave of the hand, but then it's sort of cheating. They set up some rules, and they're just going to ignore them when it's comvenient.

I used to wonder about that whole being 800 yrs old but dying after a year or two but who is to say how long he was alive and travelling before he meets any of his assistants.

In the very first episode when Rose goes to meet the Doctor Fanatic and he shows her pictures of him at the titanic, in the south seas and in Dallas in 1963. He could have been the Eccleston doctor for 60 years before he met up with Rose.

And whats to stop them going back to Eccleston in future. If he decided to do another run they could always just base it on stuff before he met Rose and died.

Anome_ said:
But grandson Sam Troughton might - he's got the right eyebrows! Can you tell I've thought a bit too much about this?

feen said:
In the very first episode when Rose goes to meet the Doctor Fanatic and he shows her pictures of him at the titanic, in the south seas and in Dallas in 1963. He could have been the Eccleston doctor for 60 years before he met up with Rose.
He is a time traveller, you know! But you're right - there's a lot of story to cover to explain what happened to Paul MacGann, and of course his regeneration into Christopher "did I mention I'm from up North" Eccleston is the only one never shown on TV (unless William Hartnell was not in fact the first Doctor, of course).

feen said:
And whats to stop them going back to Eccleston in future. If he decided to do another run they could always just base it on stuff before he met Rose and died.
Well perhaps - but while it might be great in theory, I can't see the producers doing too much to screw with the minds of the younger viewers that they've managed to capture. The kids might forget to buy the merchandise if they get too confused!

Peripart said:
Anome_ said:
But grandson Sam Troughton might - he's got the right eyebrows! Can you tell I've thought a bit too much about this?

I though exactly the same thing, I saw him in the recent Robin Hood and spent the episode thinking "who does he remind me of" until I saw the name on the credits at the end. However, he's about 15 years younger than his Grandad was he took on the role of the Doctor.

feen5 said:

So why does he mention that he has a new face in epsiode one? Or are there no mirrors in the Tardis?

Peripart said:
feen said:
Well perhaps - but while it might be great in theory, I can't see the producers doing too much to screw with the minds of the younger viewers that they've managed to capture. The kids might forget to buy the merchandise if they get too confused!

But it could provide a further illustration of the non-linear nature of time. As the Tenth Doctor says in Blink, "Things sometimes don't happen to me in the right order." ;)

Timble2 said:
Peripart said:
Anome_ said:

I though exactly the same thing, I saw him in the recent Robin Hood and spent the episode thinking "who does he remind me of" until I saw the name on the credits at the end. However, he's about 15 years younger than his Grandad was he took on the role of the Doctor.
He's also too tall. (Which was my main concern about David as well.)

I had no idea he was a Troughton. I must not have ever paid any attention to the credits of that show. I certainly stopped paying attention to the rest of the show early on.

Although I'm quite prepared to set aside the idea of actors' sons playing their fathers' incarnations of the Doctor, I will just say, in passing, that I've just seen Sean Pertwee on some ancient Rome programme, and he's starting to look a lot more like his dad. Add a curly wig, and I reckon he's about there...

I've always thought Robson Green would make an excellent Doctor. I was mulling over this while watching a recent episode of Wire in the Blood when lo and behold he starts offering people jelly babies out of a plastic bag. Strange bit of synchronicity there.

...according to the News of the World...

...she was quite good though... no idea how this tate woman's going to shape up but i find it a bit offputting that she has a face like a smacked bottom...

wonder who the 'big bads' are going to be for season 4 and 5? now that we've got the daleks, cybermen, daleks+cyberman and the master out of the way?

Maybe Daleks + Cybermen + Master?

I hope Rose doesn't come back. Yes, she was a good companion, but if they want to make the Rose Tyler Show, then make it. Just don't turn Dr. Who into it.

BlackRiverFalls said:
...according to the News of the World...

...she was quite good though... no idea how this tate woman's going to shape up but i find it a bit offputting that she has a face like a smacked bottom...

wonder who the 'big bads' are going to be for season 4 and 5? now that we've got the daleks, cybermen, daleks+cyberman and the master out of the way?

Rumour has it that the Sontarans are back, and Christopher Ryan of Young Ones fame is playing their leader.

Back