• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Please please please let there be Silurians. One of the best bad guy entrance scenes in Doctor Who was seeing the Silurians coming walking out of the water and up the pebble beach in the Sea Devils episode.

if i had to choose an old baddy to make a return, i'd probably go for the VOC robots... that or maybe Mr Sin... with deep roy reprising the role...

BlackRiverFalls said:
if i had to choose an old baddy to make a return, i'd probably go for the VOC robots...

They scared the Bejesus out of me first time I saw that story. How about the Zygons? Tom Baker said he'd like to see them back and they had a great design. They could do the Loch Ness Monster better this time around too.

I'd vote for the Axons. Re imagined as something even closer to horrors out of H.P. Lovecraft.

that or maybe Mr Sin... with deep roy reprising the role...

Yeah, I've thought the new Who would be well served by a return of the 'Peking Homunculus'. An episode set in 51st century China, with dark goings on involving the Beijing Homunculi (ie, loads of the creepy little BLANK-FACED MASKED MIDGETS skulking about) - there's something very 'phantasm' about the idea. Probably well too creepy for the kids, tho.

he wasn't actually destroyed at the end of his last appearance though was he? didn't the doctor just use his off switch?

i've often thought it'd be cool to do an episode (or two) with a story looking at the consequences of some of the alien tech that's just been left lying around after earlier adventures...

Actually those beasties with the one eye are due for a come-back...

The Monoids were first...

arkmonoid.jpg

Anyone see the Children in Need five minute special tonight? Nice enough, but wasn't very sure whether it was spoof or a dewy-eyed tribute. Seamlessly integrated into this year's end of series cliffhanger, of course.

i've just been watching ressurection of the daleks.

some poor jobbing actor had to hold a rubber dalek mutant to his neck and pretend it was strangling him, lesley grantham was there in a dodgy uniform in a role that required him to be exceptionally wooden, and the special effect for when the daleks caught a lethal virus involved giving the guy inside a can of shaving foan to spray out through the gaps in the shell.

i'd forgotten just how bad who could get when it was having a bad day :D

BlackRiverFalls said:

some poor jobbing actor had to hold a rubber dalek mutant to his neck and pretend it was strangling him, ...
Often identified as one of the scariest bits of the 'classic' series. :lol:

Often identified as one of the scariest bits of the 'classic' series. Laughing

maybe it's a bit too reminiscent of john wayne's demise by giant squid in reep the wild wind!

Time Crash is available on You Tube here

that was rather enjoyabubble. almost a shot at redemption by a lot of people's least favourite doctor... i can't help thinking the 'faded glory' look suits davidson better as a doctor now than when he was flavour of the day :D

It's Doctor Who's birthday today, and it looks like he's getting a Sontaran.

Looks good, but then the Sontarans were always some of the best-looking and well done monsters.

Oh it's a Sontaran! I thought it was one of the Mitchell Brothers from Eastenders :)

bigphoot1 said:
Oh it's a Sontaran! I thought it was one of the Mitchell Brothers from Eastenders :)

The Sontarans are better looking and nicer natured...
...and aren't into dogging...

Timble2 said:
Looks good, but then the Sontarans were always some of the best-looking and well done monsters.

Sorry but I couldn't help laughing when in their first appearance the helmets came off and their heads were exactly the same shape....

What came first in the BBC props dept ...the head or the helmet?

Rrose_Selavy said:
Timble2 said:

Sorry but I couldn't help laughing when in their first appearance the helmets came off and their heads were exactly the same shape....

What came first in the BBC props dept ...the head or the helmet?

Apparently that was the idea behind their design, that they'd take off their helmets and their heads were that shape. A bit like the old joke about policemen.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7114699.stm

Billie Piper to return to Dr Who

Actress Billie Piper is to return to Doctor Who, the BBC has confirmed.
She will star in three episodes of the sci-fi drama, reprising her role as the Doctor's companion, Rose Tyler.

Rose's return will mean the Doctor has three assistants in next year's series - Donna, played by Catherine Tate, and Freema Agyeman as Martha.

The new series begins in March and will run for 13 episodes. There will be three special editions in 2009 before the show takes a break until 2010.

Piper left Doctor Who last year, when Rose was transported into a parallel universe.

Awards

The character had been a hit and Piper won a number of awards for her performances. She was named most popular actress at the National Television Awards in 2005 and 2006.

A separate show based on Rose had been planned by writer and series producer Russell T Davies, but was scrapped when Davies decided the programme was "a spin-off too far".

Filming is currently under way in Cardiff for the new series of Doctor Who, which sees the Doctor meeting an old group of enemies - the Sontarans - 35 years after first encountering them.

Before that, the programme will return to television screens at Christmas with a special episode set on the Titanic, which will co-star singer and actress Kylie Minogue.

Better news than Catherine Tate's return, I'd say.

It's a relief to see, on the Beeb's latest trailer for the Christmas special, that the advance publicity has been misleading, and that the episode will not be set on the good ship Titanic. OK, it will, sort of, but this Titanic is a spacecraft, not the old White Star liner.

OK, so it's a silly conceit, and the ship looks very much like the original ocean-goer, but I like that kind of fun - it has more than a whiff of Douglas Adams about it. Let's just hope it's not too much like Enlightenment, a sailing-ships-in-space story with Peter Davison which, until just now, I'd manged to blot from my memory.

Bad news? Well, there's not much chance of seeing Christopher Eccleston's Doctor (in fact, didn't he say he's actively avoided the Titanic, now I think of it?), and second, the Doctor is faced by yet more Christamassy killer robots, angels this time, throwing their halos, Oddjob-style. Can't they think up any new adverseries, or at least revive some decent ones?

I thought Douglas Adams too. The angels remind me of The Robots of Death.

What did we think of the Christmas special, then? Poseidon Adventure in space, wasn't it? And an awful lot of people dying for the time of year. I thought it was going to be Davros as the baddie at the end for a minute. But there was a Douglas Adams reference, the bit with the Queen was v. funny, and it was dedicated to Verity Lambert, which was nice.

And the trailer for next year whetted my appetite once more, yes the Sontarans are back. Hoorah!

Not quite up to scratch, I felt. The science element was even worse than normal (flaming meteoroids in space? :roll: ) and the pacing was a bit too slow. Somehow the characters weren't developed enough for us to care too much about their fate.

Not seen the Poseidon adventure, but I was reminded of the Mines of Mordor, so I was a bit disappointed that the fat lady never came back to sing....

I just caught the end of the prog (i've taped the rest for later), but I did see in the trailers, that Jamie Marsters, alias Spike from Buffy, is in the new series of 'Torchwood.' :)

I know the fact that they actually commissioned a new series of Torchwood does seem hard to believe, but I'm sure that it's nothing that some decent jokes couldn't fix. If only they could get Joss Whedon and some of the other Buffy scriptwriters into to write the series. ;)

Back