• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

So the UK gets their programme second. I remembered when that happened with Torchwood and we know what happened with that.
IMG_4673.jpeg

I would love to jump on the "anti-woke" bandwagon and proclaim my love for Dr Who of old. Tom Baker was the best and all that! But I watched Tom's first ever episode again the other day and it was absolute cack.
I stopped watching it in the 80's so as far as I'm concerned the producers can do what they like with it. :)

Not available on Free-To-Air in Australia. Damn you, Disney+!:comphit::incan::omr::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting:

I would love to jump on the "anti-woke" bandwagon and proclaim my love for Dr Who of old. Tom Baker was the best and all that! But I watched Tom's first ever episode again the other day and it was absolute cack.
"Robot" may, indeed, be cack when watched again, but I saw "The Robots of Death" the other week, and it still held up very well. In fact, a lot of the middle-to-late Tom Baker stories are still pretty good - I've also recently watched "Face of Evil", "Brain of Morbius" and others, and yes, you have to allow for the minuscule budget at times, but they are still good yarns.

OK, "The Brain of Morbius" is an obvious rip-off of various Frankenstein movies, but it's well done and pretty well acted. This story also lays the groundwork for a number of plot points which didn't get picked up again for 40 or 50 years, in some cases.

I am currently watching "The Seeds of Doom" for the first time in ages, and it's great fun (though I seem to recall that the special effects in the 4 th episode are a bit silly).

"Robot" may, indeed, be cack when watched again, but I saw "The Robots of Death" the other week, and it still held up very well. In fact, a lot of the middle-to-late Tom Baker stories are still pretty good - I've also recently watched "Face of Evil", "Brain of Morbius" and others, and yes, you have to allow for the minuscule budget at times, but they are still good yarns.

OK, "The Brain of Morbius" is an obvious rip-off of various Frankenstein movies, but it's well done and pretty well acted. This story also lays the groundwork for a number of plot points which didn't get picked up again for 40 or 50 years, in some cases.

I am currently watching "The Seeds of Doom" for the first time in ages, and it's great fun (though I seem to recall that the special effects in the 4 th episode are a bit silly).
I have Britbox now so I might dip into some of those episodes you mentioned. If I ever stop watching Jeremy Brett as Holmes!

I have Britbox now so I might dip into some of those episodes you mentioned. If I ever stop watching Jeremy Brett as Holmes!
I like the way he filled out over the series and the makeup dept made him pale and wan. Also interesting for the sometimes odd choice of camera angles like showing a scene through a decanter… or something.

Bonuses of re-watching the old stories include playing "name that supporting actor". For example, the aforementioned "Seeds of Doom" includes Tony Beckley (Camp Freddie from The Italian Job) as the sinister baddie, and John Challis (Boycie from OFAH) as his murderous sidekick.

Bizarre to suggest that vouchers would cause logistical challenges.

The Charity Commission has confirmed it is examining a decision by a food bank to turn down donations from a Doctor Who convention.

Bedford Who raised more than £17,000 for charities in the town on Saturday, but on Thursday organisers posted online that Bedford Foodbank would not accept future donations from the event.

A convention spokesperson said the food bank had put it in "an impossible position" but that it wanted supporters to understand why it would no longer support the charity.

Bedford Foodbank said the decision was made after the convention donated vouchers instead of money or food, which it claimed "caused logistical challenges for our food bank".

Danny Fullbrook/BBC A Dalek on display at Bedford Who
Danny Fullbrook/BBC
Bedford Who has run annually for nine years

The charity told the BBC: "In anticipation of this happening again, we reached out to the event co-ordinators to recommend, for future events, alternative organisations within the area who could better benefit from their generosity.

“Bedford Foodbank’s priority is to ensure that we are able to provide emergency support to people who are struggling to get by. The nature of last year’s donation from Bedford Who Charity Con limited our ability to do this.”

However, a spokesperson for the Bedford Who event told the BBC it had been previously agreed with the charity that it would donate food vouchers in 2023.

"We do not accept there is any logistical problem with handing out vouchers and the foodbank thanked us for them," the spokesperson said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cge8y47gv25o

If it was a Quatermass fanzone troughing human pulp sausages, I could get behind a ban but pulped Dalek kebab - you couldn’t turn it down could you?

I think the problem stems from it being money or vouchers, rather than food items. The bureaucracy that surrounds food banks is (intentionally) complex and I'd suggest that one stipulation is that the food bank can't purchase food - it has to hand out food donations. Perhaps the convention could 'charge' a non-perishable food items for activities?

Back