• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Arthur ASCII said:
No one in particular Yithian, but I'm not a great TV watcher.

I just thought that there must be many good black actors out there who are resigned to acting roles as "mugger a" or "nurse b". and that's not fair.

Also, it'll show that the Doctor doesn't always regenerate as a white, upper-middle class Englishman.

Fair enough point about racial stereotyping but that's one of the half-jokes about Dr Who. He changes face every couple of years but all his incarnations, different and idiosyncratic though they may be, fit neatly into the 'Great British Eccentric' bracket and i can't think of any non-white that do. Hmm, don't think i'd want to see this change, but then i can be a sentimental bugger...

Saying that someone in the style of the Marquis de Carabas in Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere might work but it'd take bit of getting used to.

A post ealier in this thread gave me an Idea... Jonny Vegas as dr Who :D
A northan working class over weight Dr Who might be exactly what the BBC are after to move the series in a new direction...

Better choices for the part might be Ioan Gruffudd or Rowen Atkinson though.

As to Alan Davis he makes a good Jonathan Creak but everything else I seen him doing (esp. his stand up) has bean really poor, so hopefully he won't be given the chance to ruin dr Who.

A Mr. R.I.N.G. short list of possible Doctors:

Rowan Atkinson would be great.

That fellow wot plays Rimmer on Red Dwarf would be good (as would be the main guy on Red Dwarf, the regular human).

Michael Palin?

Sean Pertwee?

Dr.Who

I posted this on the discussion at slashdot.org, so I thought I might as well do the same. Although the news that the show is coming back is great, don't forget that its history is patchy and incomplete, like a jigsaw with many pieces missing. Theres an initiative to find lost TV treasures, and you can find more details
here. It would be great to find some more episodes in this 40th anniversary year.

Best wishes

Paul

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
That fellow wot plays Rimmer on Red Dwarf would be good (as would be the main guy on Red Dwarf, the regular human).

Craig Charles a 'regular human'? Surely not! :D

Don Warrington (you remember, the guy out of Rising Damp that's not dead) has been a fan favourite choice recently.

What the hell? I thought I was years past this fan boy stuff, but you couldn't get the smile off my face all day. A new generation of kids growing up with theme tune related trauma. Fantastic.

In the meantime, those of you with broadband may wish to check out a sadly lost opportunity here

My choice:

Bernard Hill, of many many things including Drowning by Numbers and lately The Two Towers (Theoden), Great character actor who can do both powerful and eccentric at the drop of a scarf.

I say keep Paul McGann, he never got a decent chance at it, and I liked him even if his surrounding story wasn't up to much.

But isn't Richard E. Grant the current Doctor?

REG is currently doing some Flash animation Doctor Who for BBC Online, I believe. Paul McGann has, in addition to the abominable movie, done some CDs (including a long series with Anthony Stewart Head as various members of some dynasty - he'd be another good choice IMO).

There have also been other recordings using various other cast members from the past (those that are still alive, of course). And there was a series about a Dalek war that didn't actually include the Doctor.
[edit]And of course, I forgot: Elizabeth Sladen has been doing a series of Sarah Jane Investigates... in CD format as well.[/edit]

Then, of course, there are all the novels.

The Good Doctor still flourishes without the TV series, but we still do miss it. I just hope they don't screw it up like they have in the past.

An Idea For The Doctor

I think I know the perfect person to play the Doctor.

Anthony Stewert Head!

Here's why:

1) He's well known and popular on both sides of the Atlantic. The money people will like that, to be sure.

2) By just coming off Buffy, he's sure to raise the press to new heights.

3) He would make a great Doctor; he's a great actor and does eccentric well.

4) He can be a believable authority figure all the while making hearts go pitter patter.

So who's with me???

Nice one: Take a side note from my post above, and claim it as your own idea.

Seriously, yes he would be a good choice (as I already mentioned), and maybe it will stop him making another series of Manchild.

MrHyde said:
Don Warrington (you remember, the guy out of Rising Damp that's not dead) has been a fan favourite choice recently.
Strangely, it was his face and measured, statesman-like, tone of voice that sprung to mind for a black Doctor ? as well! :)

What is it with the cast of Manchild? I'm sure someone suggested Nigel Havers some years back when there was speculation.

THE Doctor

I may be ignint McNuggets, but I was raised on Dr. Who. Particularly the Tom Baker version.

I agree with Anome and Mr. R.I.N.G. about Mr. Head, he would be good! I was a reluctant Buffy fan.

How about David Bowie? I also picture him in the role of Coleman Collins in Peter Straub's "Shadowland."

A Black Doctor Who? Why not go all the way and have Samuel L Jackson play him? Does the actor HAVE to be British?

As far as any Python alumni go, John Cleese, all the way.

I'll have to think about this one......

Trace Mann

Re: THE Doctor

ZPumpkinEscobar said:
How about David Bowie?

How about not? ;)
Withanil & I aren't needed either.

It wasn't my first thought but i'm coming round to thinking Anthony Stewart Head might work well...just maybe.

I can see Mssrs Warrington, Atkinson and Richardson all carrying off the role with great aplomb.

But how about Bill Bailey?

Rupster said:
But how about Bill Bailey?
He could finish off each story with a little song.

Come to think of it, how about Boothby Graffoe?

anome said:
Nice one: Take a side note from my post above, and claim it as your own idea.

Woops, sorry 'bout that chief.

Independent thought I had, and I rushed to post it without looking over the last few posts due to the fevor of the calling.

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
Woops, sorry 'bout that chief.

Independent thought I had, and I rushed to post it without looking over the last few posts due to the fevor of the calling.
Just don't let it happen again!

OK, it was hidden in a paranthetic inclusion about something else. You can be excused.

Great minds think alike, I guess.

Lord_Flashheart said:
As to Alan Davis he makes a good Jonathan Creak but everything else I seen him doing (esp. his stand up) has bean really poor, so hopefully he won't be given the chance to ruin dr Who.
No, he'd work as the Doctor, it's the same role. Male lead who knows more than the general populace and of course his assistant.
I'd shortlist Graeme Garden, Anthony Stewart Head, Eric Idle and Michael Palin.

GNC said:
I say keep Paul McGann, he never got a decent chance at it, and I liked him even if his surrounding story wasn't up to much.

But isn't Richard E. Grant the current Doctor?

Either of those would be good IMO. :)
Or how about that man from Strange? (Can't remember his name right now, sorry, but you know who I mean.)

Cross-dressing comedian Eddie Izzard is to be the new Dr Who, according to a former star of the sci-fi series.

Here.

I wouldn't take a jelly baby from Eddie, I'm afraid...

Spooky angel said:
Either of those would be good IMO. :)
Or how about that man from Strange? (Can't remember his name right now, sorry, but you know who I mean.)
Oh god how I hope you mean whassisname Richardson that played Canon Black, rather than the plank of wood that played Strange himself... :)

Richardson would be damn good IMO, but I'm hearing noises in other forums that McGann still seems to be the preferred choice at the Beeb, with RE Grant lurking in the wings if McGann can't clear his calendar. So we'll probably end up with Shane (Eastenders) Richie... What? You think it's not possible...? :(

As for the Creek guy: just let them try it, he said darkly... Talentless oik. (Ever seen his stand-up? I've seen funnier road traffic accidents.)

Also suspect we'll hear (League of Gentlemen) Gatiss' name being bandied about as a serious contender soon.

[EDIT] Tony Head, SFAIK, isn't a serious contender: his name's been attached to (ultimately imaginary) Who revival projects (not including the guest-spot he's done) before, and his expressed opinions on those occasions were always luke-warm at best. Which is a shame, really.[END EDIT}

McGann was very good in the roll in the film. The film script SUCKED! big time. :(

Won't they be best advised to stick with McGann if at all possible.

If my memory serves correctly, the Doctor can only do 12 regenerations. If they bring another actor in, they will be up to 8 regenerations - leaving less room for future actors.

Although I doubt that expanding on the 12 would bother anyone apart from the die-hard fans - among whom I do not include myself:)

P.S. Androman - you must be most relieved that there will soon be some decent sci-fi for your children to watch whilst eating carrot sticks and exercising on their bikes;)

Bilderberger said:
P.S. Androman - you must be most relieved that there will soon be some decent sci-fi for your children to watch whilst eating carrot sticks and exercising on their bikes;)
Indeed! :)

Back