• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Outtakes

Tom Baker during the recording of a TV voiceover.

'The word you've written here is 'reparability'.......... it would be better to say 'repair-ability'.
'Are you sure this isn't a translation from the fucking Albanian?'
'I'm getting a stalk on, here!'
'God al-bleeding mighty!'
'Symphony- even for monkey-shaggers!'
'The Princess of Wales wrote that one!'
'I adore distilled whippet-shit.'
'That'll be number 1 in the Singapore Hit Parade!'
'......and if you don't believe that you can fuck off and get your cards!'
'We'll read the Bible together and you can put your satchel in the cupboard!'

... and so on.

Bernard Hill - but in his Yosser Hughes persona.

I can just see him travelling the Universe with a Liverpool accent and big 'tache, manically headbutting Daleks.

"Weld this ya b@stard!" BOSH!

The mention of a Liverpool accent suddenly got me thinking: Alexei Sayle. Complete with the tight suits and dodgy dancing.

Doctor Who's that fat bastard?

anome said:
The mention of a Liverpool accent suddenly got me thinking: Alexei Sayle. Complete with the tight suits and dodgy dancing.

Doctor Who's that fat bastard?

HA!
I love you now Anome!
That would absolutly rock!

Trace Mann

"Whenever I go anywhere I always put lots of salt and pepper on my bollocks. I do it because I'm a well-seasoned time traveller."

I have been depleted of Dr. Who for about seven years, not counting the TV movie with Eric Roberts, of course. I was nice to see the Doctor back, even if it's only on animation. So far, I have only seen the Tom Baker incarnation of the Doc. When I was 10 (now 35), it was sort of a revelation seing this goofy character, figthing cheap looking monsters and robots, using intelligence instead of force, vulnerable and invincible at the same time. I can just imagine what the other series were like. Such imaginative stories. If I had the chance, or if my wife wouldn't kill me because of it, I would buy the entire series on DVD. By the way, whatever became of Tom Baker? He was the only Doctor we got to meet on Mexican T.V.

P.S.: Did you know that on Mexican T.V. Doctor Who, Doctor Quién in Spanish, was named "Doctor Misterio" (Doctor Mystery). I wonder why.

Buffy Star Favorite to Play Dr Who

LONDON (Reuters) - Buffy star Anthony Head was voted in a poll of Radio Times readers on Monday as their favorite to play the next Dr Who.

Head, who plays Giles in the cult US television series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer," beat Alan Rickman into second place.

"I suppose I would be a logical choice to play the Doctor just because Giles, my character in Buffy, has the same light and dark sides and quirkiness as Doctor Who," Head told the listings magazine.

Comedians Stephen Fry and Alan Davies were third and fourth and actor Ian Richardson was fifth.

The BBC have not announced who will play the sci-fi legend but British media say Richard E. Grant, Bill Nighy and Eddie Izzard are being considered.

The cult series aired from 1963-1989. It will return to television screens in 2005.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=597&e=3&u=/nm/britain_who_dc

Tom Baker

Tom Baker is still alive and well and mad as a lorry. If you get the chance track down his hugely entertaining autobiography "Who on Earth is Tom Baker?" Amongst other things he talks of wanking, being a monk and getting pissed with various celebrities.
The last film I saw him in was Dungeons & Dragons the movie and, no, I'm not proud of that. These days he does various sitcoms, radio parts and interviews. He is the senior Doctor Who actor.

If you get the chance track down his hugely entertaining autobiography "Who on Earth is Tom Baker?" Amongst other things he talks of wanking, being a monk and getting pissed with various celebrities.
And meeting his ex-wife at a party... and failing to recognise her!

Not the lovely Lala Ward? Who split up with him in somewhat acrimonious circumstances.

No, his first wife... I can't remember her name either, but then, I wasn't the one married to her!

There is a picture of Lalla in the book, with the caprion 'We were married for a while', or something like that.

Yes, I remember that. I think the way the relationship apparently fell apart, saying any more would have been risky at best.

It also made the last few episodes with Romana in them kind of awkward to watch as they were clearly not getting on.

How come no-one mentioned this as something to see while I was in Wales?

Missed me chance, now. Bugger.

(I wonder if they'll be selling disused Daleks?)

Because they charge extortionately and it takes 5 mins to go through :p

They only have one genuine dalek to sell and it's already sold unfortunately. However, if anyone is up in the area I can swing you a freebie tour :)

When I visited the exhibition, I actually felt quite distraught at the condition of Bessie (the Doctor's car in the 70s) which was on display. The poor old thing was tucked away round a corner, with a sad little sign saying something like "As I am very old and fragile, please do not sit in me". All the fibreglass bodywork was cracked, the seats were held together with gaffa tape, and she looked about ready to fall apart at any moment. I know Bessie isn't exactly in the same league, but lots of iconic film and TV cars, like the 60s Batmobile (all 5 of them!), the Green Hornet's Black Beauty and Chitty Chitty Bang Bang have all been maintained and / or restored to show condition. Maybe one of those rich fanboys who buy up all the props whenever the Beeb has a clearout should bung them a few grand to give Bessie a good going over!

If the exhibition's going, I suppose they'll have to change that (probably unique) brown tourism road sign on the A5 with a cute little dalek on it! The other exhibition at Longleat's closing soon as well:(

An Unruly Web Page

Has anybody seen this funny Doctor Who website (Which I hope isn't too ribald for this site):

http://www.calweb.com/~cdaniels/anunruly.htm

Basically, the idea is to rewrite funny adult versions of all the classic Doctor Who tales with art inspired from the various book series. TO give an example of the humor:

"THE DUSTBINS"
AND OTHER FIRST DOCTOR STORIES

"So you think just because you've lighted me on fire I'm going to stop my quest to continue my quest to stop you lighting me on fire, do you?"
- 1st Doctor, "The Cruel Sades"

"THE ADORABLE TELETUBBIES"
AND MORE SECOND DOCTOR ADVENTURES

"I've been renewed. It's part of the TARDIS. Without it I'd be screwed."
- 2nd Doctor, "Power Vac of the Dustbins"

"HEAD FROM ACE"
AND OTHER NAUGHTY THIRD DOCTOR TALES

"I haven't met such a nice and willing girl since Joan of Arc, Ace."
- 3rd Doctor, "Head from Ace"

"GOBOT"
AND ADDITIONAL FOURTH DOCTOR TITLES

"It may be irrational of me, but humans are quite my favorite dessert topping."
- 4th Doctor, "The Lark in Space"

"THE PIERROT COSTUME OF DEATH"
AND ADDITIONAL FIFTH DOCTOR TITLES

"I AM The Watcher! I Love to Watch!"
- 5th Doctor, "Convex and Concave"

"TOY DEATH BEAR CURSED WORLD"
AND TONS OF ILLUSTRATION OF JAPANESE DOCTOR WHO TITLES

"The Doctor and Sarah Jane enter the dark chasm together. This bonding experience hints at the otherworldly lesbianism experienced by the characters in the tiny blue box in which they travel, and of which our readers are very fond. !"
- Japanese Doctor Who Novel, "Free Sex in the Hand"

"ALIEN MENACE COOKBOOK"
AND MANY OTHER NON-FICTION TITLES AND WORKS

"Teletubbies - Hideously Evil, Devilishly Delicious!"
- "The Alien Menace Cookbook"

It's worth checking out! :D

New Old Who Found!

BBC finds missing Dalek episode

A long-lost Dalek episode of Doctor Who has been returned to the BBC by an engineer who rescued the film from destruction in the early 1970s. The episode of The Daleks' Master Plan, from 1965, was returned by Francis Watson - who worked at the BBC when episodes were thrown out to make space.

Steve Roberts from the BBC's restoration team said it was five years since an episode was last recovered. "You always hope there will be more but this came out of the blue," he said.

Roberts says the episode, featuring William Hartnell as the Doctor, was the second from the Master Plan storyline - and titled Day Of Armageddon. "It's a really good episode," he said. "The first sets the story but this second one is where the action starts."

"It has Katarina, a companion played by Adrienne Hill, who until now has only survived in short clips. "One of the most important things is that it contains the story's alien delegates who we only had photos of before."

Doctor Who is the longest running science-fiction series in the world and has retained a huge following since the last full series ended in 1989.

In September 2003, it was voted the show people would most like to see back on TV in a Radio Times poll. The episode is also significant because it shows the first Doctor in one of his major early confrontations with the Daleks.

'Masterpiece'

The Daleks' Master Plan was described as "an all-round masterpiece" in A Voyage Through 25 Years of Doctor Who, published in 1988.

"The direction of Douglas Camfield combined with the scripting of Terry Nation and Dennis Spooner gelled in... a way that defied description," it said. The Doctor Who website said the story had a "genuinely epic quality quite unmatched by anything else in this era, and perhaps in the entire history of Doctor Who".

The film of the Day Of Armageddon episode was found in very good quality. Mr Roberts, whose team prepares episodes for DVD release, said the last episode discovered was The Lion - an episode from William Hartnell's The Crusades - in January 1999.

Watch a Clip Here!

The clip looks pretty good.

All Dalek, no Doctor and companions, though.

AndroMan said:
The clip looks pretty good.

All Dalek, no Doctor and companions, though.

It does. I'm no expert/anorak here just a casual viewer. Can someone tell me how many episodes remain lost?

edit: btw androman, is this a temporay or permanent avatar change? We fear change! :(

The Yithian said:
edit: btw androman, is this a temporay or permanent avatar change?
No, my dear boy, it's not a new regeneration. Simply keeping my eye in! ;)

Oh dear. Either my spelling or typing has gone to hell: "temporay" indeed! I'm officially a bit tipsy. Glad to hear you haven't become the permanent enemy of the free-peoples of middle earth...

BlackRiverFalls said:
Didn't The Power of the Daleks get totally binned?

There aren't any complete episodes of Power left, but there are one or two isolated clips floating about, including some 8mm cine footage of the immediate aftermath of the Doc's first regeneration, which was filmed off-screen when it was shown in Australia! A trailer for part one was discovered a few months ago at the end of another programme with another 30 secs of footage. Not quite enough to reconstruct the story, though that didn't stop the Beeb releasing The Reign Of Terror, The Tenth Planet, The Ice Warriors and The Invasion, despite large chunks of the stories being absent from the archives!

This latest find is a nice one though. Master Plan sounds like it was a good solid story from the soundtrack! Wonder if there are any more bits and pieces lurking in dusty film collections anywhere?

Ah yes- the Daleks Masterplan; Day of Armageddon... with Nicholas Courtenay (later Brig. Lethbridge-Stewart) as Bret Vyon, and the excellent Jean Marsh as Sara Kingdom, a kind of Emma Peel clone; I vaguely remember it, one of the best Doctor Who stories ever...
set in the year 4000 in our own (fully colonised) solar system, it was a sophisticated piece of fiction that I would certainly like to see again.

108 episodes now remain lost, by the way...

It's been a while since I've had every episode title memorized, in order, and which Doctor was on it (Mr. R.I.N.G.: American Anorak!), but as I recall the missing episodes are from the 1st (William Hatnel) & 2nd (Patrick Troughton), and it's mostly the 2nd Doctor stuff that's missing. The Christmas Pantomine episode of one of the big Dalek shows (The Feast of Steven) is missing, but I don't think it affected the story. The first regeneration episode is missing from the end of the 10th Planet, but the clip of the actual regeneration exists because it was copied to a compilation show (Blue Peter?). There are only a few 2nd Doctor stories left at all. And from the 3rd Doctor, I believe there are some color episoes which only exist in b&w, but there is no missing episodes.

Back