• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I am old enough to remember the original Daleks and did indeed hide behind the sofa.

My ex husband watched it all through the 80s when I felt it had frankly gone downhill, but then, he'd never been a Trekkie!

I hear that the money tended to run out and savage cuts were made. I remember a lovely instance of this in the early 80s, may even have been before that, when Blake's 7 was also running.

A trailer for Dr Who had been shown several times. It was set on a sort of Star Trek-style ship's bridge but with lots of carpeted steps and sofas. There was an exciting explosion...
This trailer ran immediately before an episode of Blake's 7, and the main set was the same in both!!!

I pointed this out to both Whoeys and Blakeys of my acquaintance, but to my surprise nobody seemed at all peturbed or put out by it. Some muttered something about parallel universes though.

Ah, that could never happen on Star Trek! Those polystyrene boulders were well guarded!

Colin Baker was on Breakfast this morning. He's still proud of his Dr. Who work (even though he was being interviewed about something more modern).

I have to say he's become [politically incorrect word coming up] fat.

'Slim' rynner.

rynner said:
Colin Baker was on Breakfast this morning. He's still proud of his Dr. Who

I've got some of his audio stuff : 'The One Doctor' and 'The Holy Terror', he's not lost his enthusiasm for the role one bit, and the scripts seem better suited to him than some of the TV ones.

Red Dalek said:
I've got some of his audio stuff : 'The One Doctor' and 'The Holy Terror', he's not lost his enthusiasm for the role one bit, and the scripts seem better suited to him than some of the TV ones.

I agree, he's been more "Doctorish" in the audios than he was ever allowed to be on telly, plus there's the bonus that we don't have to look at that godawful costume...

I'm working my way through the McGann audios at the moment. Very interesting in showing how a TV series may have developed if the movie had come to anything. The cliffhanger to episode 3 of The Chimes At Midnight was the first time I'd actually been scared by Doctor Who since about 1977, but I was listening to it on headphones in bed!

Originally posted by DanHigginbottom

'ere, have you seen/heard the online version? They've gone and bumped him off at the end (as if you believe that) much to the howling indignation of several thousand fanboys.

I followed that through to the bitter end, and whilst it was a bit too pompous and self-important to be "proper" Who (which at its best always had a sense of its own ridiculousness), I can't see what the fuss is about! He (SPOILER!) isn't seen as a body at any rate, he just vanishes! There's nothing to say that he doesn't float around in limbo for a few hundred years and then pop back to turn into McGann. All the continuity buffs seem to be falling over themselves trying to fit it into the "canon", which never seemed to bother the producers of the series that much. If a good story contradicted what had gone before, they still went on with it!

Fortean Whos?

The Yeti in the Underground. Mega scary!

The Daemons one with the devil like space alien under a Silbury Hill like mound.

The Auton invasion. Little plastic dolls coming to life and killing.

Many, many. I remember `An Unearthly Child' 1963. Gosh! 40 years. I suppose they'll trot out a couple of episodes and repeat the Dr W. special from 35 years. Honestly! They never realised that Dr W. was, potentially, a bigger franchise than Star Trek! With all that entailed. A sci-fi James Bond - could have been.

Sea Devils

Although many Doctor Who episodes were spent hiding behind the settee when the Daleks appeared, I think the Sea Devils also deserve a mention for being incredibly scary too.

The sound effects on the Sea Devils episodes were spine tingling and very atmospheric.

:eek!!!!:

i've jsut read Dr Who and teh Loch Ness monster which i picked up at a second hand book shop, they had stacks of Dr Who Books in there i will have to see if they have any of the (valuable) ones that have been mentioned!

RoseSnape said:
i've jsut read Dr Who and teh Loch Ness monster which i picked up at a second hand book shop, they had stacks of Dr Who Books in there i will have to see if they have any of the (valuable) ones that have been mentioned!

Which Doctor do you picture in your mind whilst reading a Dr Who story?

I tend to mostly associate Jon Pertwee with Dr Who. He seemed to have his fair share of Daleks and the back of my sofa got plenty of wear whilst he was on tv as the good Doctor.

It s got a picture of Tom Baker on the front and says inside it is the fourth doctor. Any awy hes the only one i remember.

New Dr Who TV Movie

I'm not a fan but some of you may be interested and apologies if this is old news.

Tim Spall is in final talks to be the new Doctor Who.

New TV movie scheduled 8.00pm BBC 1 on 23 Nov 2003, script ready-ish, pre-prod designs done, Elstree booked out for July 03, CGI being farmed, but production in-house.

I know nothing more.:)

With all respect Edward, I'll believe it when I see it.

Last I heard, there was the most minor possiblity that it would come back on BBC3.

As long as they have the bad sets and the creaky outlandish aliens which look as they've been put together by junior school pupils, I'll watch it . . .:cool:

Carole

Red

The friend who told me and is usually VERY reliable. I have no reason to doubt him. He works very closely with the potential new doctor.

Anyhoo just thought i'd let you "Doccies" know. (Sorry, i'm not familiar with the collective name for Doctor Who fans):)

unicycle said:
But where oh where is the Blakes Seven revival promised by Paul Darrow for April 2000?

Didn't something happen on Radio 4?

unicycle said:
But I still think the best possible new Dr who is the guy who did crystal maze and wrote all dr frankenfurters best lines...

That would be Richard O'Brian then :) He'd be great.

What about David Dickinson - aka Mr Mahogany 2002
eccentric, mahogany complexioned, and Cheap as Chips:D

I always thought Richard E Grant would make a great Doctor Who, he could even dig out his old Withnail coat.

Waitaminnit. Timothy Spall... Wasn't he the one in Auf Wiedersehn Pet? The one who was slightly befuddled in addition to being gormless? The one with the really narrow acting range?

*^!!^&%$!!!!!!!!

no dr.who movie in

USA just UK or will we get soon ..like ..red dwarf.. pbs (my favorite all time series is red dwarf)..I wish they made comics..

Re: no dr.who movie in

ruffready said:
USA just UK or will we get soon ..like ..red dwarf.. pbs (my favorite all time series is red dwarf)..I wish they made comics..

If it's anything like the Paul McGann TV Movie you'll get to see it before us Brits. In fact we got it on video before TV.

Yeah, but just like the McGann movie they'll schedule it against a major sporting event and then wonder why no-one watched it...

Zygon said:
Waitaminnit. Timothy Spall... Wasn't he the one in Auf Wiedersehn Pet? The one who was slightly befuddled in addition to being gormless? The one with the really narrow acting range?

*^!!^&%$!!!!!!!!

You've obviously never watched him in anything but Auf Wiedersein Pet.

Adrian Veidt said:
You've obviously never watched him in anything but Auf Wiedersein Pet.

Actually, I've seen him in Topsy-Turvy, Secrets And Lies and a few other things, and he always puts in the exact same performance: befuddled and ineffectual. I got enough of that when Peter Davidson was the Doctor.

Timothy Spall? Intresting choice.

Will it involve a certain over rated brithish director as anything I ever see Mr. Spall in is the work of said one note wonder (wich is a shame 'cause I like Timothy Spall.)

Mike Leigh's `Dr Who'

DR W. Bloody hell! My feet are killing me. I've been out walking that rusty, git, K9.

Ace. You were out having a sly fag, you git! I've told you to give up, or I'm leaving. And get your fat bum off that console. Last time we ended up in the Luton Arndale Center, Ladies. And you nearly got arrested as a perv.

DR W. Yeah. They confiscated my bloody, sonic screwdriver. What's for tea? I'm starving.

Ace. Get it yourself, you lazy git! I had beans on toast. I think there's a tin of sardines left.

DR W. Oh, bugger! You slag! You know sardines give me the shits.

Black Dalek I let myself in, Doktor! I've come about your payments. Your three weeks behind. The Head Dalek is not chuffed.

DR W. It's in the post, you dildo shaped, bin-head!

Ace. That's it Doctor. I gave you that cash to pay them off, myself. You've been blowing it on jellybabies again. I'm leaving. Jo Grant says I can move in with her. And she's a better lay, you fat arse!

What about Neil Hamilton, a slightly sleazier doctor who who battles the daleks with his fearsome brown envelopes - and Christine could play the resurrected K-9

:D

just a thought

Re: New Dr Who TV Movie

Edward said:
I'm not a fan but some of you may be interested and apologies if this is old news.

Tim Spall is in final talks to be the new Doctor Who.

New TV movie scheduled 8.00pm BBC 1 on 23 Nov 2003, script ready-ish, pre-prod designs done, Elstree booked out for July 03, CGI being farmed, but production in-house.

I know nothing more.:)

As posted on the BBC Cult news website

Auf Wiedersehen Doctor

Timothy Spall is the Doctor, erm not.

News that the Auf Wiedersehen Pet star was about to step aboard the TARDIS spread like wildfire after it was leaked by the gossip email newsletter Popbitch.

Said the report, "I suppose you all know that Tim Spall is in final talks to be the new Doctor Who [in the] new TV movie scheduled for 8.00pm, BBC 1 on 23rd November 2003. Script ready-ish, pre-prod designs done, Elstree booked out for July 03, CGI being farmed, but production in-house."

Unfortunately it’s all just another rumour. We’ve checked with all the high-ups and they’ve confirmed it’s bunkum. The oft-mentioned rights problems are still cited as the reason for the non-materialisation of the good Doctor.

Those eager to see Spall in a lead role can catch him in Mike Leigh’s latest, All or Nothing, released today.

:sceptic:

As ever, its one of those stories that newspapers pull out of their sphincters to fill a gap in a column once in a while. You can see them crop up every three months or so. The last one was that Anthony Stewart Head was in line to play Doctor who

Again as posted on the BBC Cult new website

Head not Who

Despite last week's internet rumours, Tony Head won't be swapping the Magic Box for a Police Box any time soon.

A news item in Dreamwatch magazine hinted that producer David Fury was working with the BBC on a new series of Doctor Who, and that Tony had been mention in connection with playing the Doctor.

Whilst the cult team isn't aware of any current plans for new Who on TV, especially involving any of the Buffy crew, Dreamwatch writer John Mosby was still adamant that something was afoot.

"David Fury has indeed said he is talking with various people at the BBC about ideas in which the BBC could make a new Doctor Who series viable," Mosby told Cinescape Online. "This is not to say a new series is guaranteed, simply that the BBC is actively looking for ways to make the franchise viable again as it approaches its anniversary.

"At no point did the article say that Tony Head would play the Doctor," he added. "In fact we said the exact opposite - that he loved the character and would find it a challenge, but had no inclination at the moment to be take another high profile fantasy role."

:rolleyes:

The best spoof of this I have seen is taken from the
Tachyon TV website

Please note that this is a spoof!

Lorraine Heggessey Interview in Full:

I think Dr Who was a fantastic series, sorry, fantasy series. Part of its attraction was the slightly wobbly nature of the producers and the fact that Tom Baker's hair did not look realistic. I am not sure how we can continue to string along the fans but I have been talking to some people about reinventing and writing some new Dr Who press releases. At this moment it is in incredible early stages but we are leaning towards " we're still thinking about it" in order to give false hope to all these sad bastards out there.

:D

BTW I would love for there to be a new series (and not a bastardised version like the americanised tosh they tried to pull off with McGann), but its not going to happen, or if it does I won't believe it untill I actually hear BBC Radiophonics Workshop blasting out of my TV.

Re: Re: New Dr Who TV Movie

Carnacki said:
BTW I would love for there to be a new series (and not a bastardised version like the americanised tosh they tried to pull off with McGann), but its not going to happen, or if it does I won't believe it untill I actually here BBC Radiophonics Workshop blasting out of my TV.
Don't discount McGann, the stuff he's been doing on the Big Finish audio CDs is damn good, and it would solve the continuity problem that certain sad little sods are bound to complain about if we don't actually see him regenerate.

Don't get me wrong, quite often the actor is of good quality, its often the material or the direction that has flawed the production. I had criticised Sylvester Mccoy as being a terrible pantomime pastiche of a Doctor Who (c'mon Berty Bassett as a bad guy) but when I saw him act in the TV movie is was a stunning blow to me, I thought finally his potential showed through as he brought the character into 3 dimensions (should that be 4 dimensions?) and was gutted when I realised that he was finally allowed to give his all in this role only to be mowed down scant minutes later. Nope, the Doctor will only ever be as good as the material. They need a damned good writer (both plot and script) to bring depth to the episodes, to the standard of the current american sci-fi shows recieving critical success ("Dark Angel", "Alias", "Buffy" and "Angel"), where the source material is treated with some respect and the audience is credited with an more than an ounce of intelligence and an attention span greater than 5 minutes.

The thing that seriously pissed me off about that travesty was the Master. The Master fighting...a big hand to hand fight not out of place in a Schwarzenegger film...seriously...the Master. WTF were they thinking? A Genius, a tactictian and a master strategist who manipulates his enemies whilst the most he will get his hands dirty is vicariously... admittedly a Moriarity style Reichenbach Falls situation isn't unwarranted but at least give it an ounce of credibility, not simply distract us with flashy lights, big explosions and a musclebound gimp in a glam-rock costume. Where's the crushed black velvet and goatee when you need it, the man should ooze sinister charm!

Sorry, got too carried away there...

Back