• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Brave choice of thread re-title.
Has it changed? I've forgotten what the thread was called before. I don't like spoilers because - well, because they spoil my viewing experience. Each to their own, but in a show like DW a lot depends on surprises and plot twists. Sometimes I hanker for the old days when all you knew about Saturday's forthcoming episode was the lurid little blurb in that week's Radio Times listing, plus the cast listing of course - and very occasionally if you were lucky a small accompanying article and - joy of joys! - a wonderful Frank Bellamy illustration.

Has it changed? I've forgotten what the thread was called before. I don't like spoilers because - well, because they spoil my viewing experience. Each to their own, but in a show like DW a lot depends on surprises and plot twists. Sometimes I hanker for the old days when all you knew about Saturday's forthcoming episode was the lurid little blurb in that week's Radio Times listing, plus the cast listing of course - and very occasionally if you were lucky a small accompanying article and - joy of joys! - a wonderful Frank Bellamy illustration.

I meant the choice of abbreviating the title from Doctor Who to Dr Who - I've seen flame wars off the shoulder of Orion back in the day about that.

Ah. Of course. It is definitely 'Doctor Who' and definitely not 'Durr Who'. And the character is The Doctor, unless it's Peter Cushing in the two 1960s Dalek films, in which case he is a man with the surname Who and he has a doctorate and a granddaughter whose name is Susan Who.

Brave choice of thread re-title.

If I changed it beyond removing the longer warning of spoilers, it was wholly unintentional.

Apologies.

It's now 'Search Unfriendly'.

Will change back.

If I changed it beyond removing the longer warning of spoilers, it was wholly unintentional.

Apologies.

It's now 'Search Unfriendly'.

Will change back.

Don't worry about it! You have to joke about these things, especially when a lot of people historically get so angry about this programme.

Don't worry about it! You have to joke about these things, especially when a lot of people historically get so angry about this programme.

You're right, GNC. A lot of Doctor Who fans do get ridiculously irate about these silly little things. Fortunately, I'm not like that...... unless you leave the hyphen out of 'K-9' of course. Then you deserve to die.

You're right, GNC. A lot of Doctor Who fans do get ridiculously irate about these silly little things. Fortunately, I'm not like that...... unless you leave the hyphen out of 'K-9' of course. Then you deserve to die.

Well, you're not unreasonable...

I think I know the identity of the next Doctor...

RL5N-3.gif

Last edited:
I don't even hate that one. It just doesn't really excite much emotion in me at all.

It was one of the few shows I watched. I introduced my son to it back in 2005, the episode "Dalek". He was six. He became a dedicated Whovian, we watched it together every week, went to the Doctor Who live show, bought all the toys etc. When Chibnall and Whitaker got involved that was it for me, politicising what was, for me just a fun thing to share with my son. So yes, as a (former) fan, I do hate what they've done to it .

I always think "Doctor Who" is like the British weather. Not happy with what you've got today? Never mind, it will probably be completely different tomorrow.

Chibnall & Whittaker (would the tabloids call them Chittaker?) seem to have alienated lots of viewers. Personally, I lived through "Underworld" and "Time-Flight" and "Mindwarp" and "Paradise Towers" and "Fear Her" and "The Rings of Akhaten" and "Kill the Moon", so nothing that the Chittaker/Whibnall era has given us (so far) holds any terrors for me.

That list of episodes are just my personal 'least favourites'. I appreciate that others may actually like them. "Doctor Who" fans are like that! They're just bonkers!

I always think "Doctor Who" is like the British weather. Not happy with what you've got today? Never mind, it will probably be completely different tomorrow.

Chibnall & Whittaker (would the tabloids call them Chittaker?) seem to have alienated lots of viewers. Personally, I lived through "Underworld" and "Time-Flight" and "Mindwarp" and "Paradise Towers" and "Fear Her" and "The Rings of Akhaten" and "Kill the Moon", so nothing that the Chittaker/Whibnall era has given us (so far) holds any terrors for me.

That list of episodes are just my personal 'least favourites'. I appreciate that others may actually like them. "Doctor Who" fans are like that! They're just bonkers!
When I introduced my eldest son to Doctor Who it was with the video of 'The Twin Dilemma'. When he loved that, I knew there was nothing that could faze him - he's loved it ever since.

So, the Sea Devils are back. They have always been my favourite monsters and back in the day classic Pertwee / Baker Doctor Who was my inspiration to become a cryptozoologist. I think they also sparked the hypothetical dinosaurid of Dale Russel. They look great, well in the Pertwee story they did, let's not mention Warriors of the Deep and they are intelligent reasoning, advanced race. That makes them all the more interesting. I should be over the moon they are back. But having them appear with a faux doctor in a faux show by a faux writer and a faux show runnier is just a bastadization. Jon Pertwee and Malcolm Hulk must be spinning. I hope Russel T Davies retcons the whole Jodie / Chris mortifying debacle and brings them back in a proper story with a proper Doctor.

To be fair, I saw the Doctor Who Live at Manchester back in 2010. Sitting there as the cybermen marched down the aisle between the seats, making that 'stomp stomp stomp' noise quite made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

I was fifty.

I used to love going to the Doctor Who Exhibition in Blackpool back in the early 80s. We used to go for “Leigh Week” in September every year and stay in a manky old flat. The highlights of my week were visiting the Doctor Who Exhibition and the laser shows they used to put on along the prom.

In the early 90s I was on a training course down in Wokingham and met a bloke who was then working for the BBC. We got chatting and it came out that he was one of the chief designers of the laser shows I’d watched as a kid.

In my early teens, I had my first ever kebab from a stall next to the Doctor Who Exhibition as well.

So, the Sea Devils are back. They have always been my favourite monsters and back in the day classic Pertwee / Baker Doctor Who was my inspiration to become a cryptozoologist. I think they also sparked the hypothetical dinosaurid of Dale Russel. They look great, well in the Pertwee story they did, let's not mention Warriors of the Deep and they are intelligent reasoning, advanced race. That makes them all the more interesting. I should be over the moon they are back. But having them appear with a faux doctor in a faux show by a faux writer and a faux show runnier is just a bastadization. Jon Pertwee and Malcolm Hulk must be spinning. I hope Russel T Davies retcons the whole Jodie / Chris mortifying debacle and brings them back in a proper story with a proper Doctor.
I watched the Sea Devils as a youngster and found them scary and laughable, both at the same time. As a grown-up, I am looking forward to watchng this new iteration. Despite being an old git, I have quite enjoyed the Jodie version of Doctor Who. Sorry. Not sorry.

I watched the Sea Devils as a youngster and found them scary and laughable, both at the same time. As a grown-up, I am looking forward to watchng this new iteration. Despite being an old git, I have quite enjoyed the Jodie version of Doctor Who. Sorry. Not sorry.
It's cost the show 60% of it's viewers and almost all the merch sales.

Not only that. It’s fucked up the entire story from the origin beginning in the sixties and taken a huge timepiss all over the identity and backstory of the previous Doctors and it’s not even a tiny little bit better as a result.
It’s a fucking TimeCrime.

Has it really, where did you get that information from? As for merchant I’ve not seen that much of these days. I work in Argos and I haven’t seen anything Doctor Who for years.

What has put me off lately is not Jodie or the stories but that massive gaps in between. That I can’t really be bothered.

I wanted more of Jo Martin’s Doctor she seems very interesting but they’ve consigned her so some previous in between doctor, total waste.

Last edited:
Has it really? I’ve not seen that much merch these days. I work in Argos and I haven’t seen a thing Doctor Who for years.

What has put me off lately is not Jodie or the stories but that massive gaps in between. That I can’t really be bothered.

I wanted more of Jo Martin’s Doctor she seems very interesting but they’ve consigned her so some previous in between doctor, total waste.
I agree. Jo turned up and totally blasted Bubble off the screen with sheer personailty.

1649800997811.jpeg

I agree. Jo turned up and totally blasted Bubble off the screen with sheer personailty.
Not answering about you accusation all the people stopping watching or the merch disappearing years before Jodie’s time. Just take a cheap shot at her.

She’s no worse than any others. Just the fan boys can’t handle a girl being the doctor. Let’s face it Capaldi’s first series was absolute sh*t with his sonic sunglasses and bloody guitar. But I didn’t hear half as much bad mouthing as Jodie gets.

Not answering about you accusation all the people stopping watching or the merch disappearing years before Jodie’s time. Just take a cheap shot at her.

She’s no worse than any others. Just the fan boys can’t handle a girl being the doctor. Let’s face it Capaldi’s first series was absolute sh*t with his sonic sunglasses and bloody guitar. But I didn’t hear half as much bad mouthing as Jodie gets.
Don’t accuse me of a cheap shot.

Read the thread. I was more than willing to give Jodie a chance at the time.
Jodie and Chibnall have fucked up the franchise so bad, even a large part of the target audience of kids have given up on the show. Bear in mind Capaldi wrote a fan letter to Dr Who when he was a kid. Jodie hadn’t even watched a single episode before she took the job.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-f...d-not-to-watch-doctor-who-before-my-audition/
New Doctor Who star Jodie Whittaker was told not to watch any episodes of the show before auditioning for the lead role.

The actress admitted that when she was about to try out for the part of the Time Lord she was worried she didn’t really know the show – only to be told by showrunner Chris Chibnall that this was something of an asset.

Back