• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Not answering about you accusation all the people stopping watching or the merch disappearing years before Jodie’s time. Just take a cheap shot at her.

She’s no worse than any others. Just the fan boys can’t handle a girl being the doctor. Let’s face it Capaldi’s first series was absolute sh*t with his sonic sunglasses and bloody guitar. But I didn’t hear half as much bad mouthing as Jodie gets.
I’d be interested to know when you started watching the show btw.

I don't think Jodie can (or should) shoulder all the blame here. She can only work with the material she is given. I think the writers must bear the brunt of any accusations of loss of quality.

Has it really, where did you get that information from? As for merchant I’ve not seen that much of these days. I work in Argos and I haven’t seen anything Doctor Who for years.

What has put me off lately is not Jodie or the stories but that massive gaps in between. That I can’t really be bothered.

I wanted more of Jo Martin’s Doctor she seems very interesting but they’ve consigned her so some previous in between doctor, total waste.
https://winteriscoming.net/2022/01/...ecial-pulls-lowest-ratings-of-the-reboot-era/

Nobody wanted a female Doctor or woke storylines. Chinballs just used the show as a platform to virtue signal. Having a female Doctor is anti-feminist because it just shows tat they can't be bothered to think up a female science fiction character so they just gender swap a male one. The whole thing has been a disaster. I've watched the show since the halcyon days of Jon Pertwee. I even stuck with it through Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy but this shit made me switch off for good.

I've been watching Doctor OHO since just after it's inception, and in my opinion, these doctors that try so very hard to be PC are a pain in the fundament.

If we are having a female Doctor, then let it be like Jo Martins portrayal. SHE WAS BRILLIANT!!

(theopinionsofthisposterarenotneccesarilythoseofothers).

Just my twopenceworth...

I've been watching since the Pertwee days (although Troughton's my favourite, and I have watched Who in it's entirety, including recons of the missing episodes, twice!) and I've enjoyed Jodie's portrayal a lot, and my granddaughters have really liked her too.

I've been watching Doctor OHO since just after it's inception, and in my opinion, these doctors that try so very hard to be PC are a pain in the fundament.

If we are having a female Doctor, then let it be like Jo Martins portrayal. SHE WAS BRILLIANT!!

(theopinionsofthisposterarenotneccesarilythoseofothers).
Again, let's remember that it's not the actors. They are not making character decisions or spouting their own lines. It's ALL on the writers. And Jo Martin shows that they CAN write a good female doctor. So why are they choosing not to?

https://winteriscoming.net/2022/01/...ecial-pulls-lowest-ratings-of-the-reboot-era/

Nobody wanted a female Doctor or woke storylines. Chinballs just used the show as a platform to virtue signal. Having a female Doctor is anti-feminist because it just shows tat they can't be bothered to think up a female science fiction character so they just gender swap a male one. The whole thing has been a disaster. I've watched the show since the halcyon days of Jon Pertwee. I even stuck with it through Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy but this shit made me switch off for good.
How do you know that "nobody wanted a female Doctor"? Did you ask "everybody"? Sheesh.

To the best of my understanding, DW is actually doing pretty well in the current TV climate, still ranking as one of the highest watched shows. The crucial context here is that all TV ratings are dropping, as these older platforms simply can't compete with the new, digital, streaming, on-demand ones that can throw tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars at their shows.

As to 'woke', or 'sjw' stuff, it's near-impossible for me not to roll my eyes when people start throwing those misappropriated terms around. The Doctor, by the character's very nature, is a Social Justice Warrior; the phrase defines what they do, always have done, and always will. The current incarnation is no more or less 'woke' than the prior two, even with a female lead; the difference is how poorly a lot of it has been executed, from slightly clumsy, like Rosa, to downright painful, such as Orphan 55. The writing is the issue, not the themes, and certainly not a frustratingly under-served Jodie Whittaker.

And, with the return of Russell T Davies, whose first run introduced Captain Jack 'I'll flirt with anyone' Harkness, and whose other credits include Queer as Folk and It's A Sin, 'woke' Who's not going anywhere any time soon. If anything, it'll only get more so, just (hopefully) executed a whole lot better.

To the best of my understanding, DW is actually doing pretty well in the current TV climate, still ranking as one of the highest watched shows. The crucial context here is that all TV ratings are dropping, as these older platforms simply can't compete with the new, digital, streaming, on-demand ones that can throw tens or even hundreds of millions of dollars at their shows.

As to 'woke', or 'sjw' stuff, it's near-impossible for me not to roll my eyes when people start throwing those misappropriated terms around. The Doctor, by the character's very nature, is a Social Justice Warrior; the phrase defines what they do, always have done, and always will. The current incarnation is no more or less 'woke' than the prior two, even with a female lead; the difference is how poorly a lot of it has been executed, from slightly clumsy, like Rosa, to downright painful, such as Orphan 55. The writing is the issue, not the themes, and certainly not a frustratingly under-served Jodie Whittaker.

And, with the return of Russell T Davies, whose first run introduced Captain Jack 'I'll flirt with anyone' Harkness, and whose other credits include Queer as Folk and It's A Sin, 'woke' Who's not going anywhere any time soon. If anything, it'll only get more so, just (hopefully) executed a whole lot better.
I agree with you about the writing, yet somehow, this influence is seeping in - whether it is the writers, or a directive from the Beeb...Whatever, I'd like it to be more...believable? (Yeah, I know, we're talking about a personage who can be over 1,000 years of age, morphs into new bodies, travels through space and time, and in a machine that is smaller on the outside...)

Again, let's remember that it's not the actors. They are not making character decisions or spouting their own lines. It's ALL on the writers. And Jo Martin shows that they CAN write a good female doctor. So why are they choosing not to?
A good point...

Do they start with a case file with all the peculiarities of this specific Doctor, and they must needs follow it to the Nth degree? Or maybe it's time for more Women writers who will write a more credible Female character?

Gawd knows - all I know is that I wish they'd stop it.

...the return of Russell T Davies, whose first run introduced Captain Jack 'I'll flirt with anyone' Harkness, and whose other credits include Queer as Folk and It's A Sin, 'woke' Who's not going anywhere any time soon.
Early production shots seem to bear this out.

20200605_081356.jpg

"And nothing 'gainst times scythe can make defence, save breed, to brave him when he takes thee hence". Shakespeare.

Or regeneration...

Assuming time lords breed and don't only regenerate, how do they do so? Some reference has been made in the past as to the Doctor being half human so presumably they reproduce in the same way we do.
The Doctor regenerates at a cellular level, so how did he regenerate ovaries, a cervix and a womb etc that didn't exist to begin with? Making the Doctor into a woman was simply a reflection of modern trends and had nothing to do with what's best for the show.

As to being "Woke", there's nothing wrong with attempting to point out injustice and attempting to influence attitudes with regard to social inequality, but demonising western white males by assuming everyone buys into "Colonial patriarchy = evil", is a mis-read in my opinion; for a start, it shows a shocking lack of understanding of the white working class experience.

There was not, and never has been, a reason to make the doctor female, outside of the sickening need to appeal to those people with questionable agendas who don't watch the show anyway.

Last edited:
To be fair, I saw the Doctor Who Live at Manchester back in 2010. Sitting there as the cybermen marched down the aisle between the seats, making that 'stomp stomp stomp' noise quite made the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

I was fifty.
The Judoon impressed me, even close up they looked real! My son (who was eleven or so at the time and was armed with his Matt Smith era sonic screwdriver) shrivelled in his seat when a Smiler got in his face... I had to swap seats with him. He'd been on the end seat up to then......

Ha, ha! Sea Devils are known for their restraint, and apparently their love of the Kevin Costner movie Waterworld.

Kind of a placeholder episode, but it did move things on a bit. It was the adventure that was the important part, also a heck of a lot of Chinese people died in this one. Blood and thunder, ideal easy to watch business for an Easter Sunday.

But the trailer for the grand finale - so much for that rubbish about Jodie not getting a regeneration, that certainly looked like one to me. And Ace and... Tegan (?) back? OK, I'm intrigued.

Hoping to watch this tomorrow!

A man who knows! Many thanks. Kind of surprising given her reaction to the show in the past. Buried the hatchet, I guess.
Realise there was money to be made in embracing fandom. Not the only one to go down that route.

Last edited:
Back