• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

Apparently they were all set on one doctor until Ncuti auditioned and he changed their minds. That sounds very promising.

“Davies, who is is returning as Dr Who's
showrunner after leaving in 2009, praised
Gatwa's "blazing" audition and said he was the future of Doctor Who. "It was our last audition. It was our very last one," the writer and producer said. "We thought we had someone, and then in he came and stole it.’”

Last edited:
Apparently they were all set on one doctor until Ncuti auditioned and he changed their minds. That sounds very promising.

“Davies, who is is returning as Dr Who's
showrunner after leaving in 2009, praised
Gatwa's "blazing" audition and said he was the future of Doctor Who. "It was our last audition. It was our very last one," the writer and producer said. "We thought we had someone, and then in he came and stole it.’”
Wondering who the possible was?

I heard the news that he had got the role as it was being told that he was up for a BAFTA. Bodes well.

Apart from Peter Capaldi, I've really struggled with Dr Who since Tennant. I guess it's like Marvel Comics. I'm not their market anymore. I'm not bothered about race or gender (Olivia Coleman would have been great), but I like 'em old. Hartnell is my favourite, with Pertwee and Baker behind him. The intellectual but slightly sinister professor is for me, whereas the target market is watching Celebrity Love Island.
Totally with you on that.

I was a bit disconcerted by Ecclestone's Doctor - but once I had cottoned on to what he was about (roughly: a more working-class Doctor) I was okay with it. Then came Tennant.

It amazes me that so many older fans of Who like and approve of Tennant as the Doctor. Good actor though he is, I personally can't stand sight nor sound of him in this role. He turned the character into a loud, sexy, hyperactive swashbuckler - and set the bar for all the actors to follow (much the same as had Patrick Troughton done for a previous generation).

And yes, the touchstome for Who is now the Marvel franchise and things like Buffy the Vampire Slayer- just as before it had been Fifites B-Movies and Quatermass. (Contrary to popular myth, Doctor Who has always been far more of a trend-follower than a trendsetter). So special effects (which now just means a morass of bombastic C.G.I) and a suoerhero ethos (once completely at odds with the whole concept) rule the day.

My first thought on seeing the new 14th Doctor was that he had the bland, cheery good looks of a children's television presenter. No sense of mystery or the harbouring of nooks and crannies in his personality there.

And no - it's not about skin tone. I have long though that Don Warrington (as he is now) could have made a decent Doctor. But I may be missing something and will give Ncuti the benefit of the doubt - if I could be bothered to watch it at all that is.

The fact is that Doctor Who is a kids show - and I'm using the word `kids` broadly. It isn't - and can't -be aimed at us. It is undignified at our time of life to pretend that we somehow own a show like this. Let the kids have it.

Last edited:
I tried to like Jodie's incarnation but the stories never worked, the over arching theme seemed to be hefty amounts of dullness, bit of silly, wave a sonic to solve everything followed by exposition (because it was too expensive to shoot and show the audience and I'm stupid and need to be told what's going on) and well, more dullness.

I enjoyed Flux for the most part and a lot of it felt right but, there are little to no episodes outside of this that I can re-watch. I don't blame her at all, she worked with what she was given (which was too many companions and not enough screen time to get to know her...).

Mr Davies knows how to reboot the Doctor though so it is in good hands, I haven't seen Ncuti in anything yet so will await his performance with excitement - I didn't know Matt Smith either before his tenure and he was rather good :)

A lot of planets have a South...
You muppet.

Actually, I'm warming to idea of a Dyer Doctor....

"Oiiii-yah! Davros! You 'aving a bubble, mate? There's Daleks all over the bleedin' manor. You need to 'ave a word, me owd china....." etc etc....

1652539093211.png

I have my moments with Dr Who, but on the whole I enjoy the escapist 'everything will be all right in the end'ness of it. I'm just glad that RTD has gone for an actor that isn't from his usual 'stable' (we were all reckoning he'd use someone from 'It's a Sin', and were practically taking bets here), and I reckon it will be a good thing.

If they're advertising "one of the most loved pairings", what's Catherine Tate doing in the picture? I like her fine as a comedian, but her companion laid the foundation for many annoying one-dimensional characters who followed.
Well I loved Donna because she wasn’t simpering after the Doctor like so many.

Hanky-panky in the Tardis! How a writer’s divisive Doctor Who movie spent 25 years being hated by fans​

New documentary about the 1996 TV movie.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2022/may/20/doctor-who-the-movie-documentary-sci-fi
Kaleidoscope are set to release “Doctor Who Am I” theatrically in the U.K. in October and are also repping international sales. Materials will be available to view at TIFF next month.

Marking Vanessa Yuille directorial debut, the documentary feature tells the story of the infamous 1996 “Doctor Who” TV film, which was produced during a gap in the TV series. It featured Paul McGann as the Time Lord but received disapprobation from fans, who were apparently unhappy at the suggestion the Doctor was half human, especially when he kissed his assistant Grace Holloway.

Matthew Jacobs wrote the standalone “Doctor Who” film and, in “Doctor Who Am I,” he reluctantly allows himself to be drawn back into the time period to examine the making of the production as well the reaction it inspired.

https://variety.com/2022/film/news/doctor-who-i-am-documentary-kaleidoscope-1235339064/

Back