• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

I always assumed the Eighth Doctor was remembering being The Doctor Donna half human/half Time Lord...
Yes, but that would have to be quite Timey Wimey, the Eighth Doctor "remembering" stuff that will happen to the Tenth. But with a Time Line like the Doctor's, something of that sort would seem entirely appropriate.

But with a Time Line like the Doctor's, something of that sort would seem entirely appropriate.
Indeed.
As per.
1660572090001.png

That looks .... different. Could be fun. I was one of the fans who really enjoyed the 1996 tv movie, mainly because of Paul McGann and Daphne Ashbrook, who were both excellent and had great chemistry. I would love to see a bit more of McGann in the role. I'm sure they could work out a way to get him back for an episode or two.

I enjoyed the 1996 movie.
It would have worked as a movie even if all of the rest of every Dr Who series never existed, but the 2 previous old films did.
Oh and maybe a bit of explanation of 'The Master'.
Okay so allow 'Logopolis' to continue to exist.

Patrick Troughton's recorder. The newspaper reports I've seen so far missed that.
They referenced 'The Dalek's Masterplan', in the Master's Dialogue. And that Drilling down through the Earth's crust references The Dalek Invasion of Earth. Great to see Ian Chesterton (William Russell) in the companion's support group; the last of the original cast (he's 97 so only a couple of years younger than the BBC itself).

Last edited:
The first DW I've watched for a very long time and it was genuinely better than I expected.
Clearly the nostalgia kick of seeing so many much-loved faces from the Doctor's past would carry this over the line and even Ms. Whittaker seemed to keep her irritating slack-jawed gormless look to a minimum. The whimsicality got a bit near to cringe at times - and yes, I'm thinking the Master's Boney M tribute, which even had the Daleks and Cybermen looking at each other in disbelief but, overall, it worked. Oh and that ending certainly blindsided me and has done enough to hook me into the forthcoming Tennant adventures.
Loved the reference to The Daleks' Master Plan - one of the classic lost episodes. The idea of a support group for ex-companions (Gawd bless the venerable William Russell) was a nice one. Only wish they could have roped Tom Baker back in for this special!

Patrick Troughton's recorder. The newspaper reports I've seen so far missed that.
Yes, I saw that, and of course, the Master was also wearing a Tom Baker-ish scarf, plus 7's jumper and 5's celery.

The episode was massively more enjoyable than I'd expected (sadly, Chibnall has pushed my expectations pretty low anyway), with decent writing and a nuanced performance from Jodie Whittaker. The story was silly, of course, but when so much is done right, that really doesn't matter so much.

Great to see all the old Doctors, especially Paul McGann, who manages to show in a few seconds just how good he could have been in the role.

Great to see Ian Chesterton (William Russell) in the companion's support group; the last of the original cast (he's 97 so only a couple of years younger than the BBC itself).
I just checked, and Carole Ann Ford is still with us - a youthful 82!

The Doctor reminding Tegan of Adric had me teary eyed. And was Ace gently flirty with Graham?!

The Doctor reminding Tegan of Adric had me teary eyed. And was Ace gently flirty with Graham?!
Two things with that - while it was great to have a throwback to the 80s with Tegan and Ace, I can't honestly say that I'd have recognised Janet Fielding if I hadn't known in advance that she was returning. She's aged nicely, no doubt, but looks quite different, somehow.

And the other thing is: were we given any explanation at all for Graham turning up under a volcano?

Yes, I saw that, and of course, the Master was also wearing a Tom Baker-ish scarf, plus 7's jumper and 5's celery.

The episode was massively more enjoyable than I'd expected (sadly, Chibnall has pushed my expectations pretty low anyway), with decent writing and a nuanced performance from Jodie Whittaker. The story was silly, of course, but when so much is done right, that really doesn't matter so much.

Great to see all the old Doctors, especially Paul McGann, who manages to show in a few seconds just how good he could have been in the role.
Weren’t the trousers an early Doctor’s too? Two’s maybe?

I just checked, and Carole Ann Ford is still with us - a youthful 82!
I realised that after I posted, but decided to let it stand. It's interesting to speculate what happened to Susan, since she had Time Lord heritage, she'd have probably outlived her human partner, and regenerated several times. Wonder if she ever found her way back to Gallifrey, or is roaming the universe like the Doctor. (There's a couple of radio plays that follow her up, but they're probably not in continuity [Even allowing for Doctor Who's very loose canon]).

I realised that after I posted, but decided to let it stand. It's interesting to speculate what happened to Susan, since she had Time Lord heritage, she'd have probably outlived her human partner, and regenerated several times. Wonder if she ever found her way back to Gallifrey, or is roaming the universe like the Doctor. (There's a couple of radio plays that follow her up, but they're probably not in continuity [Even allowing for Doctor Who's very loose canon]).
If you're talking about The Companion Chronicles, they are canon.

If you're talking about The Companion Chronicles, they are canon.
I was thinking Whatever Happened to Susan Foreman?, from the BBC, and I thought there was another BBC production, but can't find it. The Companion Chronicles are Big Finish, which are in a sort of alternate continuity (along with the novels). When it comes to canon and continuity, Doctor Who is a "A big ball of wibbly wobbly, timey wimey stuff".

The thing to remember about Susan is that when the Doctor abandoned her it was in London of the future so she wouldn't be in the companions support group.

Back