• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

My dad appeared in lots of things in the 70s and 80s (and through the 90s occasionally too), but 95% of the time he would have turned his back to the camera just as he got in shot, or you could only see his arm on the edge of the frame, etc.
I remember when they filmed the series with the robot that he was quite excited because he had been dressed as a soldier and filmed frequently throughout the episodes (so did a lot of his colleagues - it was common for them to carry various outfits around with them on location, policeman, soldier, ambulanceman, farmer etc etc in a suitcase, just in case).
I remember when we watched these episodes originally and although we knew dad was in them he always seemed to be obscured by something.
"I'm behind the Land Rover!" & "That's my hand!" were common jokes in our family.
I fully expect that he was in this scene.
1667149083476.png

My dad appeared in lots of things in the 70s and 80s (and through the 90s occasionally too), but 95% of the time he would have turned his back to the camera just as he got in shot, or you could only see his arm on the edge of the frame, etc.
I remember when they filmed the series with the robot that he was quite excited because he had been dressed as a soldier and filmed frequently throughout the episodes (so did a lot of his colleagues - it was common for them to carry various outfits around with them on location, policeman, soldier, ambulanceman, farmer etc etc in a suitcase, just in case).
I remember when we watched these episodes originally and although we knew dad was in them he always seemed to be obscured by something.
"I'm behind the Land Rover!" & "That's my hand!" were common jokes in our family.
I fully expect that he was in this scene.
View attachment 60324
Tom Baker's first story, 1974.

I'm rewatching from the beginning of NuWho, and I've just got to the Silence in the Library/Midnight/Turn Left segment. Watched them the first time round but I've been astonished at how much more powerful some of these episodes are in the light of what comes next. For example, Silence in the Library/Forests, where we first meet River Song - this time round, knowing what River Song REALLY meant to the Doctor, her 'ending' and her sadness at realising this is the end for them is so much better!

Kids were lying when they said they were scared watching Doctor Who ..

Just the one companion? Not the whole gang that Jodie got?
I prefer a single companion. Keeps the story more concentrated on whatever problem it is that the Doctor is sorting out, rather than being complicated by endless backstories and interpersonal shenanigans between the companions.
The Doctor needs a companion in order to have to explain things that the viewer needs to know. Having too many tends to dilute the story.

I prefer a single companion. Keeps the story more concentrated on whatever problem it is that the Doctor is sorting out, rather than being complicated by endless backstories and interpersonal shenanigans between the companions.
The Doctor needs a companion in order to have to explain things that the viewer needs to know. Having too many tends to dilute the story.
I do too. I felt it was like they thought a female doc needed her hand holding. Which I find insulting.

Mollie is giving me Rose vibes.

I wasn't paying too much attention when her name was announced and for a moment I thought the new companion would be played by Mel Gibson!

Mel as his Beretta 92-wielding Riggs character from Lethal Weapon might zhoozh up the formula:

The Doctor: “Ah, my old adversaries the Accordions. If only l could remember the deus ex machina manipulation of my sonic screwdriver that defeats them!”

FX: Bambam…bam!

Riggs companion: “Two in the chest and one in the head always works for me, Doc. Next episode!

maximus otter

Mel as his Beretta 92-wielding Riggs character from Lethal Weapon might zhoozh up the formula:

The Doctor: “Ah, my old adversaries the Accordions. If only l could remember the deus ex machina manipulation of my sonic screwdriver that defeats them!”

Riggs companion: “Two in the chest and one in the head always works for me, Doc. Next episode!

maximus otter
When the Doctor says "I'm too old for this shit." He really, really means it.

maximus otter
The problemmo as Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart and UNIT found so often, e.g. "Chap with the wings, there. Five rounds rapid.", is that bullets don't work against most of the Doctor's opponents.

I just watched the Sixth Doctor story Attack of the Cybermen and thought it was pretty darn cool. The Doctor thumps some fake policeman and guns down some Cybermen, Peri was way more than a pretty face, Lytton was a seeming villain who was teally a freedom, and plenty of callbacks and direct connections to other Cybermen episodes (The Tenth Planet and Tomb of the Cybermen). If Colin Baker can keep up his level of energy and verve as displayed in this episode, I think the Sixth Doctor is going to rise in my favorites of the classic era.

But here is the interesting thing. In my mind for years, the Sixth Doctor wasn't that great. Primarily because of the Discontinuity Guide's low estimation of the stories. But I've since found out that one of the authors of that book, Paul Cornell, was very prominent in the "guns vs frocks" fan debates that roiled Doctor Who fandom in the 90's on Usenet. In particular, he hated any violent aspects of the Doctor, dispising the Third and Sixth Doctors in particular, Doctors who would deal with situations in a violent way, while praising the "anarchic" Second and Seventh Doctors who tended to not use violence. While I still enjoy the Discontinuity Guide, I can now clearly see that Cornell ran roughshod over the other authors to a degree on the Doctors he didn't like, giving low marks for some Doctors in favor of others, which in turn changed perceptions in the minds of other fans who read and liked their book. (I have a similar problem with the famed fan author of the Twilight Zone Companion, Marc Scott Zicree, who used his guide to promote the least remarkable, least fantastical episodes of that series as being their greatest efforts)

I do like all the classic seven Doctors. Tom Baker is my favorite, and Patrick Troughton my least. But Colin Baker is rising in my estimation, and I am much more skeptical of people's opinions when rating entertainment.

Apparently we are supposed to get the trailer for the 60th today. I remember when we used to get an actual episode. Then it got pushed to new year and now the best we can get is a trailer.

Apparently we are supposed to get the trailer for the 60th today. I remember when we used to get an actual episode. Then it got pushed to new year and now the best we can get is a trailer.
Back for Christmas next year according to RTD.

It looks like a real treat is in store for fans (like me) who enjoyed the delights of "Doctor Who Weekly" when it began publication back in 1979. Good old RTD!
I still live in hope that we'll see the Freefall Warriors in the telly show some day.
I always loved the fella with the head shaped like a spaceship.

I still live in hope that we'll see the Freefall Warriors in the telly show some day.
I always loved the fella with the head shaped like a spaceship.
Oh yes please!! And how about those winged demon-type creatures (I forget their name) who were the villains in "The Iron Legion" strip. Oh, and maybe the deadly Barabara (not to be confused with Barbara, who was only deadly cos of her taste in cardies).

Oh yes please!! And how about those winged demon-type creatures (I forget their name) who were the villains in "The Iron Legion" strip. Oh, and maybe the deadly Barabara (not to be confused with Barbara, who was only deadly cos of her taste in cardies).
I would suggest Marc Warren to play the spaceship-headed guy.

I would suggest Marc Warren to play the spaceship-headed guy.
Like Elton Pope reincarnated! I always like the tiger-headed guy. They could have fun doing him. Hopefully he would work better than doggy man Karvanista.

Last edited:
Back