• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctor Who [Spoilers]

ghost dog said:
To say it got nowhere is an understatement. Mostly because I was put off by the lack of enthusiasm for all things Doctor who.
The easiest way to create interest would be to cast whoever the latest heart-throb to leave Eastenders is.

An episode of Doctor Who.....

I remember seeing an episode of Doctor Who when I was a kiddie where all 6 or 7 (this was Colin Baker era I think) appeared as did the CyberMen and Daleks. It had a scene with an iron Maiden and K9 and a bad guy who looked like Terence Stamp in Superman, The Master?
What the hell was that all about? Was it a one-off special or a figment of my imagination?

Finally, More Doctor Who?

What does this really mean, fellow Who fans?

from SciFi.Com:

BBC1 Exec Wants More Who

Lorraine Heggessey, the controller of the British TV network BBC1, announced that she wants to bring back Doctor Who to Saturday evenings, the BBCi Web site reported. Heggessey voiced her desire to bring back the show in an interview with the MediaGuardian, conducted at the Edinburgh International TV Festival, the site reported.

Heggessey said that rights issues were preventing a swift return of the Doctor to British television. "I would like to resurrect Doctor Who, but the rights situation is too complicated to do that at the moment," she said. "Maybe that will happen one day."

For its part, the site reported that it had looked into the rights issues and found nothing to prevent the show's return, though various writers hold the rights to various characters they created, such as Terry Nation and the Daleks.

Well my uninformed interpretation would be...

It means that the Beeb won't do any TV 'Who while the creators of the various monsters retain any claim on the monsters they created, because the Beeb -and/or potential production partners- want to maxmize their financial return by merchandizing the crap out of the said monsters. 'Least that's what it looks like reading between the lines. :(

In a depressing way I s'pose it makes financial sense: there's a potentially decent-sized US market for an updated, decent-budget 'Who (even if it doesn't last more than a couple of seasons), as well as the established markets world-wide, but to really make that kind of impact in the US market they'll need a US production partner, but potential production partners will very likely be deterred by the fact that there will be "so many fingers in the pie" when it comes to, e.g., Dalek and Cyberman toys and figures and lunchpails, which after all is where a huge chunk of any potential profits lie. And the fact that there's already been limited licensing of such items in the past -and present- further complicates things, I'd imagine. :nonplus:

The rights issue seems pretty screwed up - for a while Universal had the option, as they had co-produced the 1996 TV Movie. Strange that, the BBC were unable to legally produce new Who because they'd sold the rights to someone else! I think Universal's claim has lapsed now, but there are other factors too. BBC Worldwide (the Beeb's commercial wing) has been touting the rights for a cinema film, and rumour has it that they've been blocking any attempts to bring it back to the small screen as a new series would compromise their movie plans.

Terry Nation's estate are also being arsey about the use of the Daleks. They've blocked the use of the dustbins on terrestrial TV (in new stuff or repeats) whilst they negociate a fee with the BBC. Nation's agent, Roger Hancock (brother of Tony!) seems to have an over-inflated view of the Daleks' significance, and is keen to put paid to anything he sees as treating them without the respect he thinks they're due. That's why the Dalek Invasion Of Earth dvd extra of Val making Dalek cakes from a 60s Blue Peter was missing the end where two "real" Daleks enter and exterminate her handiwork!

You'd think they could get their acts together for something special for the 40th anniversary in November, but we'll probably get an "I love Doctor Who" type programme on BBC2 with the likes of Johnny Vegas and Jamie Theakston giving their poxy views instead...

Hi All

I'm not sure about the Nation estate being overly picky about where the Dalek's appear as they have already been lampooned in the Kit Kat adverts where they can be seen chanting "Peace and love" and asking people to hug them, they also appear in a billboard advert for batteries.
The BBC aren't massively keen to bring Who back as they will milk all the fans for as much money on the merchandise front as they can but won't give us what we actually want, the return of the TV programme.
As for the lisence. The BBC are notoriously finicky about who they let produce new WHO. I'm pretty sure that they hold most of the rights to the programme. TARDIS and the Dr Who logo and name are certainly trademarks held and protected by the Beeb.
As an example of how strict they can be with licensing: They let David Howe's Telos press produce new WHO novels (with such top names as Kim Newman and Mark Gattis I may add) but withdrew the lisence within a year therefore stopping them doing new Who.
I'm pretty sure that the only company doing new WHO that is not the Beeb, but is licensed by them, is Big Finish with their CD plays.

All The Best To All

Jon

Dagon said:
The BBC aren't massively keen to bring Who back as they will milk all the fans for as much money on the merchandise front as they can but won't give us what we actually want, the return of the TV programme.
What am I supposed to let my son watch, for Sci fi?

More of the 'MacDonalds' franchise in space, that is 'Star Trek?' "Yes, son the future really will be that boring, bureaucratic, militaristic and bland. and that'll be the only bit you're allowed to see."

Well Andro', while we're rewriting the formular for TV Supernatural Drama, we could also reinvent televisual SciFi as well...

...If only you'd PM Cooj and I so we can get cracking; we already have two ideas to run with for the former; the latter would require a little more work... :D

Emperor Zombie said:
The only thing you need now is someone who knows who the right people to speak to are and has connection within five leading broadcast companies...:D
Check. :D

I'm taking the advice of my contacts atm, EZ, but my sense in these matters is that the proper systems are designed to keep independent innovations from those who make the decisions... :(

Care to share your experiences with us? :D

AndroMan said:
What am I supposed to let my son watch, for Sci fi? i]

Is that part of the National Curriculum now?

Can you have your child taken away by Social Services for failure to supply high quality Sci-Fi at regular intervals?

Over here in West Aus the good old Doc has just started up again on ABC @ 6pm. I saw the first episode on monday and when I mean first I mean all black and white (1965 )and grainy where Doctor Who gets his name. I was well chuffed as I was too young to catch the original screening.

Indeed. The ABC is showing An Unearthly Child e'en as I speak. Next week The Daleks.

Oh, and it's 1963 (40th anniversary in November). I wasn't even born then.

And they're showing Batfink before it. It's a flash back to my childhood.

I remember the first episode of Doctor Who;
some guy got assassinated that day and my parents seemed upset about it, but that was just a coincidence.

I think they repeated the same episode the week after, as no-one watched it the first time for obvious reasons.

Eburacum45 said:
I remember the first episode of Doctor Who;
some guy got assassinated that day and my parents seemed upset about it, but that was just a coincidence....

Same here, I was really impressed by the TARDIS being a huge spaceship inside, which was bigger than its Police Box outside.

Couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about about someone being shot in America, I knew from cowboy programes and films that that's what they always did in America.

Re: Finally, More Doctor Who?

Mr. R.I.N.G. said:
What does this really mean, fellow Who fans?

"I would like to resurrect Doctor Who, but the rights situation is too complicated to do that at the moment," she said. "Maybe that will happen one day."
[/B]
As far as I understand it the BBC receives more letters from Doctor Who fans than fans of any other show. A bit sad realy when it's not been on for 15 years.
This statement should hopefully stop the nasty ones, but it still clearly states to me that they are not going to make any more.

What winds me up is the web-broadcasts, why not at least put them on radio?
Besides which, didn't they kill off Number Seven in Death Comes to Time?

I saw Batfink last night you just can't beat the oldies.
I think the ABC showed Dr Who 2 years after the BBC but I may be wrong. It makes no odds really, im just pleased its on at all.

Timble said:
Same here, I was really impressed by the TARDIS being a huge spaceship inside, which was bigger than its Police Box outside.

Couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about about someone being shot in America, I knew from cowboy programes and films that that's what they always did in America.
Ditto on that, except I have a strong memory of Millicent Martin singing a song about the assassination of John F. Kennedy, on 'That Was The Week That Was' as well.

I do believe that Doctor Who was first shown the day after JFK was assassinated.

Today or yesterday it all depends on what time zone you are in and where you are. I think it is still yesterday in the UK.
But living 20 years behind the times here it makes no odds.

It will probably be put on BBC3 and no-one will see it, then when it gets a following they will switch it's time and channel around so no-one knows when it's on, next they'll cancel it to show toffee-nosed hooray henry's playing rugby or cricket. Finally it will be axed cos nobody watched it and then released as a prciy boxset with no extras.

Who would play the Doctor? I'd go with someone older, likeable, intelligent and slighty eccentric. Only one candidate, David Dickinson! Ian McShane co-stars as his accomplice Zarg, Nadia Sawalha plays K-9 with Victoria Beckham as Davros, obviously make-up will be needed. To tone her down, don't wanna scare the kids.

He's back! And its Welsh!

This just in from the official BBC site:

Doctor Who is coming back to BBC One in 2005. It will be a new live-action series, written by Russell T Davies.

Late last night we received the following surprise official statement from BBC Publicity:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lorraine Heggessey, Controller of BBC One, has confirmed that all rights issues regarding Doctor Who have been resolved and has green-lit scripts from writer Russell T Davies.

The statement notes that it is far too early in the day to discuss possible storylines, characters, villains or who might play the Doctor. It also states that it is unlikely anything will be on screen for at least two years.

It will be a family show, but no details are available on when it will be scheduled.

Doctor Who will be produced by BBC Wales in conjunction with Mal Young, Controller of BBC Continuing Series. The executive producers will be Mal Young, Russell T. Davies and Julie Gardner, Head of Drama BBC Wales. Russell T. Davies's writing credits include Bob and Rose, Queer as Folk, The Second Coming, Touching Evil (with Paul Abbott) and The Grand.

Mal Young says: "Doctor Who is a much-loved, truly iconic piece of television history. It's time to crank up the TARDIS and find out what lies in store for the Doctor. We're thrilled to have a writer of Russell's calibre to take us on this journey. However, we're at the very early stages of development and further details, including casting, will not be available for some time."

Award-winning writer Russell T. Davies says: "I grew up watching Doctor Who, hiding behind the sofa like so many others. Doctor Who is one of the BBC's most exciting and original characters. He's had a good rest and now it's time to bring him back!

"The new series will be fun, exciting, contemporary and scary. Although I'm only in the early stages of development, I'm aiming to write a full-blooded drama which embraces the Doctor Who heritage, at the same time as introducing the character to a modern audience."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A report in the Telegraph mentions that six episodes have been commissioned, but there is no information on this in the BBC statement.

A BBCi animated series starring Richard E Grant as the Doctor launches to celebrate the show's 40th anniversary. His adventures will keep you entertained while you're waiting for the new TV series to arrive.

Ah, but who to cast? That mopheaded plank Alan Davies has been talked about for the role, apparently, but I'd rather see someone like Mark Gatiss, or, if they went for the older Hartnellesque type, Ian Richardson. Can't see the latter happening though, they're probably obliged to give us a young, dashing Doc these days!

Re: He's back! And its Welsh!

Johnnyboy said:
Ah, but who to cast? That mopheaded plank Alan Davies has been talked about for the role, apparently, but I'd rather see someone like Mark Gatiss, or, if they went for the older Hartnellesque type, Ian Richardson.
It could well be said that, Ian "I couldn't possibly comment" Richardson has been preparing for the roll, all his life! :p

Russell T Davies should be a good choice as a writer, apart from his TV credits he’s written a Doctor Who Novel, Damaged Goods, in the Virgin New Adventures series, which broke a few taboos for the Doctor Who universe.

The ‘Second Coming’ was excellent, (Christ comes back as a stroppy Mancunian)

A perfect opportunity for the Beeb to give the starring role to a black actor.

But I don't suppose they've got the balls :sad:

Arthur ASCII said:
A perfect opportunity for the Beeb to give the starring role to a black actor.

I take your point but i wouldn't for a second want them to cast someone because they are black. Best man for the role, script, and character, be they black white or blue.

No black actor springs to mind as an obvious choice - did you have anyone in mind?

As to Alan Davies: f**k no!

No one in particular Yithian, but I'm not a great TV watcher.

I just thought that there must be many good black actors out there who are resigned to acting roles as "mugger a" or "nurse b". and that's not fair.

Also, it'll show that the Doctor doesn't always regenerate as a white, upper-middle class Englishman.

Back