• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Doctors Baffled by Mystery Bug Bite that Left Arizona Man Covered in Bruises

Wreckless

Devoted Cultist
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...arizona-man-covered-bruises-article-1.3361876

Doctors baffled by mystery bug bite that left Arizona man covered in bruises

Doctors have been stumped by a mysterious insect bite that left an Arizona man’s arm covered in a series of painful bruises.

Thomas Jay said he was taking out the trash earlier this month when he came into contact with a type of bug he’d never seen before.

“As I glanced at it really quick, all of a sudden I just felt this excruciating pinch, this pressure, this bite or a sting that happened and occurred,” he told CBS 5. “And I immediately went and swatted the bug off.”

His wife, Dee Petrov — in a GoFundMe page created to cover medical costs — said the bug resembled a Solifugae, a spider-like bug native to warm and arid habits.

bruise28n-2-web.jpg

Whoa! That's an extreme reaction. :eek:

Allergic Purpura. Not rare.

I think you've nailed it ...

The 'Solifugae' similarity reference and the description of a pronounced 'pinch' point to the group of arachnids that include the camel spiders. These critters aren't venomous, but any bite may introduce foreign matter to which the victim may have an allergic reaction. The association with handling trash increases the odds of foreign matter contamination.

Well, it is rather rare. http://www.encyclopedia.com/medicine/diseases-and-conditions/pathology/allergic-purpura

caused by reactions of antibodies binding with foreign proteins, called antigens. In some cases, the antigen-antibody complexes become too large to remain suspended in the bloodstream. When this occurs, they precipitate out and become lodged in the capillaries, which can cause the capillary to burst, resulting in a local hemorrhage.

But what is most annoying is that none of the dozen or so articles I saw in a search talked to a person versed in arthropods or insect bites. It's just the exact same story circulated over and over and over again. This is journalism?

It's clickbait and it's pathetic, meant to make people freak out and spray their homes with insecticide instead of understanding what might have happened here.

Last edited:
Back