• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Does Anybody Recall This Weird Ghost Photo On Fortean TV?

Weren't they all to the same tune?

i remember 'my grandfathers clock' was one of them

McAvennie_ said:
I'd suggest an old lady with grey hair perhaps rather than a pilgrim ghost. they say that it is not a spot where anyone could be walking but then they say it is where the Pilgrim's Way path is.

"Indeed, the concept of a single route called the Pilgrims' Way seems to be no older than the Victorian Ordnance Survey map of Surrey, whose surveyor, Edward Renouard James, published a pamphlet in 1871 entitled Notes on the Pilgrims' Way in West Surrey. Here he asserted that the route was 'little studied' and that 'very many persons in the neighbourhood' had not been aware of it. His insertion of the route name on the Ordnance map gave an official sanction to his conjecture; and writers such as Hilaire Belloc were eager to follow it up. In fact, the route as shown on modern maps is not only unsuitable for the mass movement of travellers but has also left few traces of their activity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilgrims'_Way

Yeah, that video is quite spooky - and much less easy to explain than most of em. But I'm totally skeptical of all the usual and slightly crass 'ghost theories' - "it's a Pilgim", "it's in Period Costume". They seem predominantly about our need for simple answers and our discomfort with the anomalous. Basically what we see there is a form that is vaguely human and seems to be draped in black. Bit like a scarecrow maybe? Beyond that, how can we tell? The thing I'm reminded most of is the highly creepy things people glimpse in MR James' stories. That figure could in fact come straight out of one of his.

By the way the skeleton in the first item on the show is a pre-term fetus.Probably about 25 weeks gestation. And that medium is just a loony old bat. :roll:

It looks to me like a patch of light that happens to be at the right height for a head, if it was a figure. It does not look much like a head and there is no 'body' that I can see. The image of the 'head' is at the limit of resolution so any apparent detail is likely to be an artefact.

I am beginning to think the same,the shape does not seem to act or move like a human would.

colinbaker32 said:
The below link shows the footage on another ghost TV program but here they show the figure in a different position as the horse goes past on a different lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbTYWM0L5cQ&feature=related

Interesting. Will have to give this a once over when I'm not at work. YouTube is blocked here.

I remember this episode of Fortean TV very well. I do hope the rumour of a revival turns out to be more than just Wiki Talk.

In the "ghost hunting case book" Natalie osborne-thomason says that she was the 1st investigator to view the clip and that the "figure appeared to rise out of the ground"

I can not see that at all,if it was then maybe it is not a simulacrum?

Weren't they all to the same tune?

i remember 'my grandfathers clock' was one of them

My then lodger got me the cd for christmas one year, possibly aquired at an x-files con.

Possibly it's been played twice since then, and not all the way through.

The songs are all or mostly to traditional tunes, one i think is to greensleeves.

Just came across this old thread and I instantly remembered which ghost video the op was referring to, and it's one of those ones which I always considered to be a genuine apparition/manifestation caught on film, it's hard to put my finger on why exactly I feel this way about it. What do you guys think of it?

For those who haven't seen the footage here's a YouTube upload of it.

To be honest it's so blurred that it could be anything, it's really hard to make out. Doesn't even look like a face. Is there a better quality version?

Ha,very cool- not seen it or even thought of it since I saw it when the programme was shown. Remember it now!

But...

To be honest it's so blurred that it could be anything, it's really hard to make out. Doesn't even look like a face.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Last edited:
two versions of differing quality are linked on this thread ... whats missing is contemporary footage of the area in question without the "apparition" which surely would have been easy to obtain as they sent a film crew out there !

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 23.43.26.jpg

I'm very familiar with the location of this riding school, and in terms of locational-pedigree it couldn't be better. I'm not saying there are ghosts in the area, but I am saying that if you told me there was one here, I'd know which roads to walk if I wanted to find it.

To clarify, the riding school is:

a) All but plumb on the Pilgrim's Way, the religious importance of which scarcely needs reiterating (and is mentioned in the video).

b) On Water Lane, where another attested ghost-sighting took place and I myself experienced odd vibrations:
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/well-good-evening-pilgrim.11408/

That account talks about turning right onto the Pilgrim's way from Water Lane as it leads to Broad Street. We're not just talking about nearby, this is almost exactly the same location. See first image and below:

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 23.54.30.jpg

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 23.12.02.png

c) About two and half miles from the ruins of Boxley Abbey, which has its own supernatural myths attached:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxley_Abbey

d) A walk--about four and a half miles--from Little Kit's Coty House (aka: the Countless Stones):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Kit's_Coty_House

e) From there, practically on top of Blue Bell Hill, famous for its road ghost.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Bell_Hill
https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/bluebell-hill.7394/

Screenshot 2019-07-18 at 23.28.48.png

These five locations are roughly on a single line running south-east to north west along the Pilgrim's Way and beyond.

The below link shows the footage on another ghost TV program but here they show the figure in a different position as the horse goes past on a different lap.

Curious video, but I think (perhaps due to the video quality) that it's hard to say definitively that it's a person, and (in my opinion) I think it's rather a stretch to see it as a pilgrim. As someone else commented, a 'comparison' video would have been good.

One fleeting thought, upon seeing this secondary video which shows the 'person' in two different places... could it be a bird of some kind (white feathers) in both places?

As an aside though, I hadn't realised there was such a thing as 'Fortean TV' so it's good to see you can still get 'em on youtube :)

Curious video, but I think (perhaps due to the video quality) that it's hard to say definitively that it's a person, and (in my opinion) I think it's rather a stretch to see it as a pilgrim. As someone else commented, a 'comparison' video would have been good.

One fleeting thought, upon seeing this secondary video which shows the 'person' in two different places... could it be a bird of some kind (white feathers) in both places?

As an aside though, I hadn't realised there was such a thing as 'Fortean TV' so it's good to see you can still get 'em on youtube :)

Not much better, but a 'figure' is more visible in this version.

In the frozen-frames.

In the "ghost hunting case book" Natalie osborne-thomason says that she was the 1st investigator to view the clip and that the "figure appeared to rise out of the ground"

To be blunt, she does speak a lot of crap both in her books and in person.

In the frozen-frames.

Ah yes, easier to see in that frame there, in fact. Would you agree that the 'second version of the figure' as shown in that freeze-frame, is sort of sideways-on, and possibly sort of half-bent (almost in a skiing pose, for want of a better description)? That's what I'm immediately seeing, anyway.

It's difficult because even in the 'first version' of the figure, one can see what appears to be a face (possibly even with three dots for eyes and mouth (or eyes and nose)... but... it's so hard not to just think "must be simulacra", you know?

I really wish they'd done a comparison video so we could rule out... things... :)

Ah yes, easier to see in that frame there, in fact. Would you agree that the 'second version of the figure' as shown in that freeze-frame, is sort of sideways-on, and possibly sort of half-bent (almost in a skiing pose, for want of a better description)? That's what I'm immediately seeing, anyway.

It's difficult because even in the 'first version' of the figure, one can see what appears to be a face (possibly even with three dots for eyes and mouth (or eyes and nose)... but... it's so hard not to just think "must be simulacra", you know?

I really wish they'd done a comparison video so we could rule out... things... :)

Hard to see, but I could accept that it was squatting slightly in the second freeze.

What troubles me in both 'freezes' is how white and shiny part of the implied 'head is'. If you look at my green version, you can see that the light reflects off it as strongly as it does the completely white horse of the second rider and more powerfully than the reflection on the lead rider's face. The only other similiarly reflective part is the lead rider's left leg (jodhpurs?). What kind of white scarf, hat, mask could it be?

More seriously, if one continues downwards, assuming the figure is being seen from the front (possibly with the head turned to the left or right) the implied 'legs' could easily be the lead horse's rear right leg (the supposed figure's right leg) and tail (the supposed left leg).

On the 'plus' side, the reflection of the implied 'neck' is proportional to the human faces.

In the frozen-frames.

I'm just watching that video again, but in half-speed this time. Early on before they show us their ghost video, there is shots of the horses going around and I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that they show the area where the figure appeared. The reason I think this is because of the whiteish other shape in the background.

Compare this (whiteish shape crudely circled):
1563464280518.png

With this, where you can see the 'ghostie figure' as well as a quite-similar-looking white shape (again crudely circled by moi):
1563464381020.png

Now... I know the two circled shapes aren't the same, but it's a bit difficult when you're pausing a video (there is more motion-blue in the first screenshot).

If this is showing the same background, then it does at least show that the 'figure' (whatever it is) isn't there all the time... which perhaps proves... something?

Would anyone else think the two backgrounds at 0:19 and 0:34 are the same? I was basically trying to see if I could spot Mr Ghost elsewhere in the footage.

Hard to see, but I could accept that it was squatting slightly in the second freeze.

What troubles me in both 'freezes' is how white and shiny part of the implied 'head is'. If you look at my green version, you can see that the light reflects off it as strongly as it does the completely white horse of the second rider and more powerfully than the reflection on the lead rider's face. The only other similiarly reflective part is the lead rider's left leg (jodhpurs?). What kind of white scarf, hat, mask could it be?

More seriously, if one continues downwards, assuming the figure is being seen from the front (possibly with the head turned to the left or right) the implied 'legs' could easily be the lead horse's rear right leg (the supposed figure's right leg) and tail (the supposed left leg).

On the 'plus' side, the reflection of the implied 'neck' is proportional to the human faces.

Yeah good point about the reflectiveness. What your enlarged versions do show is that it appears to be three-dimensional but if it is as reflective as the white horse... could it not be white hair? (i.e. horse 'only' has fur yet manages to be that reflective, so wouldn't human hair be just as much).

Brings to mind our famous 'Cumberland Spaceman' with the 'is it a space helmet or is it sun reflecting off a person's hair' thing :)

(I do wonder whether something in the trees like that should be that reflective and not more hidden, but it will depend on the sunlight direction etc which I haven't sussed yet).

I actually thought that in your enlargements, the neck looks slightly too long, but I think the issue is the blurry 'greyness' on the left-hand-side, depicted with an arrow here...
1563465284046.png

... which makes it somewhat hard for me to discern exactly where the 'chin' should be.

(As always with footage of this quality, the more one zooms in, the more one is left with things that don't necessarily look like anything!)

EDIT: Forgot to say, I do see what you mean about the horse's rear leg and tail, and I would agree that they are possibly (likely?) to be part of the horse rather than part of a figure.

Back