• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Does Anyone Here Have Psychic Abilities?

This reminded me of something Orson Welles once said in an interview. He was talking about when he set himself up as a fake medium, and found he started to guess things correctly. He then talked about a hotel clerk who said if you've been doing the job for a short while you can get to the point where you can tell when someone walks through the door if you are going to give them a room or not. Then, if you have been doing the job for a long time you only need to take a single glance at the person. But then if you have done the job for a very, very long time you don't need to look at the person at all.

Welles put all this down to the powerful internal, 'computer' processes that the mind is capable of.

It could also be because the clerk thinks they've become what you might call 'super intuitive' and will refuse the room on what is really no more than a whim.

So because the end result is no trouble from that guest, as they never become a guest whether or not they'd actually give any trouble, the intuition success rate is 100%. If the person complains because they're being turned away without good reason then they're troublesome so the clerk feels he's right.

Last edited:
This reminded me of something Orson Welles once said in an interview. He was talking about when he set himself up as a fake medium, and found he started to guess things correctly. He then talked about a hotel clerk who said if you've been doing the job for a short while you can get to the point where you can tell when someone walks through the door if you are going to give them a room or not. Then, if you have been doing the job for a long time you only need to take a single glance at the person. But then if you have done the job for a very, very long time you don't need to look at the person at all.

Welles put all this down to the powerful internal, 'computer' processes that the mind is capable of.

I remember this quote well. I've never felt good about entering a hotel since! :sick2:

It could also be because the clerk thinks they've become what you might call 'super intuitive' and will refuse the room on what is really no more than a whim.

So because the end result is no trouble from that guest, as they never become a guest whether or not they'd actually give any trouble, the intuition success rate is 100%. If the person complains because they're being turned away without good reason then they're troublesome so the clerk feels he's right.
Confirmation bias - yes.
Also, it's only a 50-50 thing.

Here's Welles interview. It's certainly interesting, and a worthwhile observation he's making. But its worth pointing out that he's merely surmising what "must have" happened to explain away his own apparent display/s of uncanny knowledge.

I worked at a front desk for local council for 25 years and there were some people that either gave off an uncomfortable essence, or else i developed an awareness for it in those years.

The first thing was their walk, believe it or not, that would alert me to a bad attitude, and the rest of their behaviour was just part of the whole. If there was a word to describe it, it would be their insouciance.

I don't know if it is a telepathy that alerts people to other people, I would say we learn to 'read' some people.

I've experienced almost everything mentioned in this thread, including the abuse. I don't consider myself psychic. I feel like I'm being led. Not sure exactly how to explain it properly....it's like an internal voice that steps in especially when I am in danger. Sometimes it is actual words that I hear and sometimes it is a flash scene that just happens out of nowhere. Most of the time, as a matter of fact it happens so often I have given it a name. I call it my whoops feeling, because it is akin to the sensation you get when you are falling really fast.

The truth is I believe it is someone/something guiding me and I have learned over the years to appreciate it. I just wish it was more straight forward and controllable. At times, and I know hind sight is always 20/20, I get angry because the message or sensation was too cryptic for me to understand until it was too late. What's the point of that?

I've experienced almost everything mentioned in this thread, including the abuse. I don't consider myself psychic. I feel like I'm being led. Not sure exactly how to explain it properly....it's like an internal voice that steps in especially when I am in danger. Sometimes it is actual words that I hear and sometimes it is a flash scene that just happens out of nowhere. Most of the time, as a matter of fact it happens so often I have given it a name. I call it my whoops feeling, because it is akin to the sensation you get when you are falling really fast.

The truth is I believe it is someone/something guiding me and I have learned over the years to appreciate it. I just wish it was more straight forward and controllable. At times, and I know hind sight is always 20/20, I get angry because the message or sensation was too cryptic for me to understand until it was too late. What's the point of that?

Michael - i have experienced something similar - in fact I'm sure that everyone does through their respective lives. I remember as a child being told about the tiny voice inside, and that there is a divinity associated with it.

I don't know about that.

I have experienced it, The Voice, on a number of occasions - and it's never let me down.

One occasion.

I used to ride motorbikes as a young'n - one in particular was a favourite - a kawasaki triple 500 that was lethal, but by the great lord Harry Nod, it couldn't be bested.

I was coming home from work one day on a dual lane main road, when I passed a road sign on my right. As I passed it, a shadow of a christian cross was displayed just for a second. I felt disquieted for some reason and focussed more on what was going on around me.

I was on the lane closest to the dividing island with a vehicle up front, which was towing a trailer, and there was a vehicle on my left keeping abreast with me.

The road was that smooth bitupave and it hadn't rained for a good couple of months, and my tyres weren't the best.

Just then it started to rain, with those big fat dollops of raindrops which wets the road immediately. I backed off on the speed and noticed that the vehicle in front seemed to be slowing down...actually it was turning right and was coming to a complete stop which i didn't realise, because the trailer, which was loaded, had no working tail lights or indicators.

I used my back brakes because greasy wet road and front brakes isn't a good idea. The back drum brakes locked up of course...didn't it, so i applied front brakes. Not a good idea.

I was sliding now and heading for the gap between the trailers nearside wheel arch, and the wheel well of the vehicle on my left, who was also slowing down.

My front wheel was in the gap - my thoughts were...I'm going to lose my leg here, when the voice said BRAKES OFF. So I did.

The bike was sliding forward in a straight line with both wheels locked, either way I was going to hit a stationary vehicle and lose a leg, or go over the front of the vehicle on my left, and more than likely under it.

Releasing both brakes and lifting my right leg up above the height of the wheel arch was what I did, which allowed the back wheel to grip the road and flick the rear of the bike to the left sufficiently to squeeze through the gap between the two cars.

It was one of those situations where you thank your lucky stars, or go and light a candle.

Either way Michael59, divine providence, or summat else, it was there in a situation that could've turn out rather nasty. And the Bike?

Yer Tiz.
Kawasaki_H1 (2).JPG

Michael - i have experienced something similar - in fact I'm sure that everyone does through their respective lives. I remember as a child being told about the tiny voice inside, and that there is a divinity associated with it.

I don't know about that.

I have experienced it, The Voice, on a number of occasions - and it's never let me down.

One occasion.

I used to ride motorbikes as a young'n - one in particular was a favourite - a kawasaki triple 500 that was lethal, but by the great lord Harry Nod, it couldn't be bested.

I was coming home from work one day on a dual lane main road, when I passed a road sign on my right. As I passed it, a shadow of a christian cross was displayed just for a second. I felt disquieted for some reason and focussed more on what was going on around me.

I was on the lane closest to the dividing island with a vehicle up front, which was towing a trailer, and there was a vehicle on my left keeping abreast with me.

The road was that smooth bitupave and it hadn't rained for a good couple of months, and my tyres weren't the best.

Just then it started to rain, with those big fat dollops of raindrops which wets the road immediately. I backed off on the speed and noticed that the vehicle in front seemed to be slowing down...actually it was turning right and was coming to a complete stop which i didn't realise, because the trailer, which was loaded, had no working tail lights or indicators.

I used my back brakes because greasy wet road and front brakes isn't a good idea. The back drum brakes locked up of course...didn't it, so i applied front brakes. Not a good idea.

I was sliding now and heading for the gap between the trailers nearside wheel arch, and the wheel well of the vehicle on my left, who was also slowing down.

My front wheel was in the gap - my thoughts were...I'm going to lose my leg here, when the voice said BRAKES OFF. So I did.

The bike was sliding forward in a straight line with both wheels locked, either way I was going to hit a stationary vehicle and lose a leg, or go over the front of the vehicle on my left, and more than likely under it.

Releasing both brakes and lifting my right leg up above the height of the wheel arch was what I did, which allowed the back wheel to grip the road and flick the rear of the bike to the left sufficiently to squeeze through the gap between the two cars.

It was one of those situations where you thank your lucky stars, or go and light a candle.

Either way Michael59, divine providence, or summat else, it was there in a situation that could've turn out rather nasty. And the Bike?

Yer Tiz.View attachment 19335

Wow, amazing story, Mungoman! Thanks for sharing it with me and all of us. :bthumbup:

I feel the same way you do about who or what it is. I am in no way a religious person. Although because of this inner voice and how many times it has saved my sorry ass, I do believe in a higher power.

Beautiful bike, glad you are both okay. lol

I don't know about that.

One occasion.

Yer Tiz.View attachment 19335
What a coincidence, we saw this very model in that colour being trailered, probably to an event, virtually at the same time you were posting this. Ms Petes remarked it was a fantastic looking bike and I agree.

A few years back I had just returned from Holiday in Spain. I was working night shift in the Hospital that I worked in at the time. Not long into the shift I started to feel sick. This got worse over the course of the night as did an intense pain in my stomach area.I assumed I had picked up food poisoning in Spain and had to sit the night out until I was fit enough to drive home.I wasn't really getting better so decided to head home about six am. At the time I lived outside the City so had a bit of a drive. I just wanted to get home to my own bed. I had to keep pulling over every couple of miles to be sick. Eventually I'd had enough. Exhausted with lack of sleep and being sick, I decided to pull of the motorway and find a lay by to rest in. I found a lay by behind an industrial estate and climbed into the back seat. The pain was getting worse but I just wanted to sleep. I then heard a very clear voice that said"If you stay here you will die". I got back up and knew it was appendicitis. I drove back to the Hospital went straight to A and E. and was admitted and put on the emergency surgery list. My appendix had started burst and were leaking. I often think of that voice as being my own inner voice guiding me, but it was so audible and clear.

A few years back I had just returned from Holiday in Spain. I was working night shift in the Hospital that I worked in at the time. Not long into the shift I started to feel sick. This got worse over the course of the night as did an intense pain in my stomach area.I assumed I had picked up food poisoning in Spain and had to sit the night out until I was fit enough to drive home.I wasn't really getting better so decided to head home about six am. At the time I lived outside the City so had a bit of a drive. I just wanted to get home to my own bed. I had to keep pulling over every couple of miles to be sick. Eventually I'd had enough. Exhausted with lack of sleep and being sick, I decided to pull of the motorway and find a lay by to rest in. I found a lay by behind an industrial estate and climbed into the back seat. The pain was getting worse but I just wanted to sleep. I then heard a very clear voice that said"If you stay here you will die". I got back up and knew it was appendicitis. I drove back to the Hospital went straight to A and E. and was admitted and put on the emergency surgery list. My appendix had started burst and were leaking. I often think of that voice as being my own inner voice guiding me, but it was so audible and clear.

That's fantastic, not that you were ill! but that your inner voice was so effective.

This is a very perceptive observation. I think we have a rather simplistic view of such things -- we think that some things are "normal"., "real." "genuine," etc., and others are "weird", "mysterious," "incredible", etc. I think (based on my own experience) that this is all wrong. We have all kinds of abilities, all kinds of capacities, and if we just relax and let them operate -- they will. There is a continuum that subsumes normal perception and mental processing and ESP, and as many of the very interesting accounts here show you can get results without knowing how they've been achieved.

This is a very perceptive observation. I think we have a rather simplistic view of such things -- we think that some things are "normal"., "real." "genuine," etc., and others are "weird", "mysterious," "incredible", etc. I think (based on my own experience) that this is all wrong. We have all kinds of abilities, all kinds of capacities, and if we just relax and let them operate -- they will. There is a continuum that subsumes normal perception and mental processing and ESP, and as many of the very interesting accounts here show you can get results without knowing how they've been achieved.
My view exactly. Explains a lot.

I have absolutely had premonitory dreams, but never at my own will. I think if anyone can learn to harness "ESP" its by simply learning to be a good tuning-fork. I don't think its as simple as summoning a vision of the future at will, etcetera. My hunch is that will ultimately has little to do with it. But I am still fleshing out this line of thought.

A few years back I had just returned from Holiday in Spain. I was working night shift in the Hospital that I worked in at the time. Not long into the shift I started to feel sick. This got worse over the course of the night as did an intense pain in my stomach area.I assumed I had picked up food poisoning in Spain and had to sit the night out until I was fit enough to drive home. . . .
At this point I was thinking, "funny he should want to go home when he's already in a hospital . . . sounds like he was feeling bad enough to need a doctor . . . ."
I suppose you were accustomed to ignoring your own needs, and that made you a better medical employee, tending to the needs of others.
Good thing your "small voice" didn't ignore your needs!

At this point I was thinking, "funny he should want to go home when he's already in a hospital . . . sounds like he was feeling bad enough to need a doctor . . . ."
I suppose you were accustomed to ignoring your own needs, and that made you a better medical employee, tending to the needs of others.
Good thing your "small voice" didn't ignore your needs!
My colleague did want to call the duty doctor but I refused on the grounds of how busy they tend to be.{not me being a hero}I had been in Spain 24hrs previous and just assumed it was food poisoning as we had been for a big meal the night before we left. The intense pain in my abdomen made me think otherwise. I know it's funny I left hospital only to have to return!

Mildly strange coincidence/awesome act of psychicness on Twitter just now...

Cymera (Scotland's Festival for Science-Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Writing) held a little online quiz tonight. Final question : Five clues, guess who the author being described is. In jest, I make a "You are Mr Kolley Kibber" reference 3 minutes before the first clue is given.

And the author was... Graham Greene (author of Brighton Rock, where the Kolley Kibber line is from).

I’ve read tarot for years - mostly from a Jungian sort of perspective; for self knowledge, accessing archetypes and also because I love folklore and a lot of related stuff.

I’ll fully admit when I’ve read for other people years ago - and just for fun not money - if I couldn’t see something coherent in the cards or blanked, I’d cold read the person in front of me instead. Often these people were the most impressed by the reading...

I sometimes know when something will happen. The trouble is that I only know about bad things, for example the Yanks are up in the 6th and I know that they will lose and I comment on this. I "receive" this information because I suddenly realize that "the Yankees won their game today" does not sound right. "The Yankees lost after a strong start" sounds right. I received so much abuse from my friends for "being negative" that I stopped mentioning it and more or less forgot about these experiences until a very recent and tragic event. A couple I know about 30 were having their first child. Both athletic and healthy, she's an RN, remarkably problem-free pregnancy, full pre-natal medical program. They are good acquaintances but not family. The baby was stillborn. I had been thinking all along that imagining them with a baby did not sound "right". I told myself that I was just resisting change, my relationship with them would be altered once they had a child. When she was one and then two weeks overdue I began feeling dread, and when I found out that she was planning a home birth and had been in labor for several days I prepared myself for a bad outcome. I was not surprised when I heard the news. And I thought I should dust off my thinking about these experiences. So I will pay attention to them from now on and maybe look for them. No one in my family has any special abilities.

I have occasionally mentally received bad news in an inexplicable way which have always turned out later to be true. I have no control over it. I do not seek this. I have had no false positives. It went away almost completely after I told the universe to not give me news I could do nothing about (and, admittedly, after I told the universe to go fuck itself).

Scorecard:
Terminal cancer: 3 people. Once, it was when I first met and shook the hand of the 35 year old, health-nut, marathon running new bride of an acquaintance; she had no idea she was ill. What was I supposed to say? “Nice to meet you and did you know you have terminal cancer and will be dead in a few months.” The moment I touched her hand I was engulfed in the absolute conviction that she had terminal cancer.
Blood vessel problem in a specific place: 2 people; one of whom required emergency hospitalization.
Pregnancy going to miscarriage: 1 person.
Knowing that someone was dying at the exact moment they were in fact dying. This was from a distance of 60 miles or more: 2 people in separate incidents. One was my father. One was my fiancée and I experienced his pain and terror from the burning flames at the time of the accident. This experience led me to tell the universe to fuck off. This one changed my life.

So, I guess I would be receptive to having this type of foreknowledge again, but I’d like to have it balanced out with knowing about positive, happy things :) Especially lottery ticket numbers!

A slightly separate topic: I once belonged to an interdenominational healing circle which met once a month. I was a sceptic at first, but then could not deny the totally weird shit the group accomplished. I met with them for about 2 years in the 1990s. I have no conventional explanation.

I have occasionally mentally received bad news in an inexplicable way which have always turned out later to be true. I have no control over it. I do not seek this. I have had no false positives. It went away almost completely after I told the universe to not give me news I could do nothing about (and, admittedly, after I told the universe to go fuck itself).

Scorecard:
Terminal cancer: 3 people. Once, it was when I first met and shook the hand of the 35 year old, health-nut, marathon running new bride of an acquaintance; she had no idea she was ill. What was I supposed to say? “Nice to meet you and did you know you have terminal cancer and will be dead in a few months.” The moment I touched her hand I was engulfed in the absolute conviction that she had terminal cancer.
Blood vessel problem in a specific place: 2 people; one of whom required emergency hospitalization.
Knowing that someone was dying at the exact moment they were in fact dying. This was from a distance of 60 miles or more: 2 people in separate incidents. One was my father. One was my fiancée and I experienced his pain and terror from the burning flames at the time of the accident. This experience led me to tell the universe to fuck off. This one changed my life.

So, I guess I would be receptive to having this type of foreknowledge again, but I’d like to have it balanced out with knowing about positive, happy things :) Especially lottery ticket numbers!

A slightly separate topic: I once belonged to an interdenominational healing circle which met once a month. I was a sceptic at first, but then could not deny the totally weird shit the group accomplished. I met with them for about 2 years in the 1990s. I have no conventional explanation.
Astonishing "gift" (for want of a better word). On a similar theme the sister of someone I knew years ago, maintained that, if she touched someone, she would know the exact date that person would die. Whilst I was in touch with them, the sister suddenly dropped her job, and flew out to France to be with her apparently very healthy mother who lived there alone. On the second day she was there her mother dropped dead with a heart attack. She would become very anxious and depressed on occasion (totally out of character), only for her brother to find out that someone they knew had died. Yet sister had no other mediumship skills whatsoever. At that time I had no interest in this sort of thing, and I wish I'd followed it up further.

Scorecard:

You are clearly extremely sensitive, and I can see why you would like some balance. But one of the rules of this kind of thing is that you don't try to take material advantage of them, so don't try to guess the lottery numbers. On the other hand, if you want to be free of the whole business, it might lead to you losing your abilities!

I had quite a bit of experience of healing some years ago, from the patient's point of view, and there were lots of interesting things going on, including my receiving a rather rough back massage from an invisible entity.

You are clearly extremely sensitive, and I can see why you would like some balance. But one of the rules of this kind of thing is that you don't try to take material advantage of them, so don't try to guess the lottery numbers. On the other hand, if you want to be free of the whole business, it might lead to you losing your abilities!

I had quite a bit of experience of healing some years ago, from the patient's point of view, and there were lots of interesting things going on, including my receiving a rather rough back massage from an invisible entity.

More! More! Please tell us more about your healing.

What a lovely offer - whereabouts in the south west? I'm south east england! For me it's love, love & more love - who will i end up with & will i ever have a family of my own...silly really very interesting that you've 'just known' things, it must really surprise people!

I just realised I never answered this post of yours. I live in the hallowed county of Somerset :)

Back