• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Does Anyone Here NOT Enjoy Music?

Do you like music ?

• 'Music is my radar...who could live without it? I ask in all honesty what would life be...', etc.

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • 'I'd like to teach the world to sing...'

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • I don't mind a catchy tune you can whistle

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • I can take it or leave it

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • It generally leaves me cold

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I actively dislike its foolish tootlings

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
'Knowing you..' does have real feeling. It must have been excruciatingly hard for them to perform it, let alone write it.

INT21

I'm not so sure. It predates Benny and Anni-Frid's marriage by two years and Bjorn and Agnetha's divorce by three years. It could have its roots in previous relationship breakdowns of course.

i think theres only one in my circle of friends who doesnt really do music, has a couple of now thats what i call music cds and one by kings of leon

photographer

i dragged him to a josh t. pearson gig years back, he appeared to like it at the time, but didnt pick up the option subsequently

I wonder if I played it and sang along at the same speed, then played it back faster would I sound like Dolly Parton.

I don't believe you can't play 'House of the Rising Sun'. However there is an F in there somewhere.

INT21.

Favourites artists that are still making music seem to be getting quite boring. I'm also not that impressed by new music but will occasionally listen to KEXP.

Listening to music has become secondary to listening to podcasts and audio books.

I'm not so sure. It predates Benny and Anni-Frid's marriage by two years and Bjorn and Agnetha's divorce by three years. It could have its roots in previous relationship breakdowns of course.

Yup, artists aren't necessarily portraying important events in their own lives.

Apart from Stevie Nicks of course. :chuckle:

Stevie Nicks meme.jpg

Music and Me: My desire to listen to music, and my ability to tolerate music played by others in public settings, has always varied over life. I attribute this to the head injuries (multiple concussions with periods of unconsciousness) I had as a child as the general cause, and later life stress levels as the specific triggers. Sometimes having to tolerate music is an actual agony. Sometimes I choose to listen to music and enjoy it greatly. I did not listen to music much while getting my Ph.D.

One interesting thing: the music played by Enya, and only Enya, makes me very very angry. Not the words of the lyrics. My reaction to it develops this way: at first, it is pleasant, as the fairies gather (the fairies being my mental image which the music brings forth). Then, it increases in seriousness as the fairies decide to go to war and my mood changes. Then my anger starts as they march to war. Then my rage begins and builds as the fairies kill everything that moves. If I continued to listen, then I too would want to kill everything that moves! This reaction has happened every time I had to listen to it.

Oddly enough, I have met one other person who had this exact reaction to Enya: a nephew of the Dalai Lama, who at the time lived in the same town as I did. He worked in a music store, and would not play Enya in the store because it made him so angry. WTF.

I once witnessed the reaction of a friend’s 3 year old daughter to a live classical violin performance – the first time the girl had ever heard a live violin. The girl was rigid with ecstasy (spellbound) for the entire performance, and immediately after begged her mom to give her a violin. Mom did, as well as weekly lessons with Joshua Bell’s old teacher. The girl practiced for hours daily for almost 20 years. It was never a chore, and she would play for me every time I visited. She got to be very accomplished and it was her paradise on earth.

What a lovely thread to bump!
. . . Debbie Harry played at 45 RPM sounds like Kermit the Frog. I can't find any links mind.
Why have it either/or, why not both?

I once thought I would rather go blind than deaf and not be able to hear music. (Now I just want to preserve both senses for as long as I live!)

I don't listen to music as often as I could, but I often make up songs to amuse myself. I sing them to popular tunes. They become my earworms. A recent one goes like this (sung to the tune of "Mellow Yellow" by Donovan):
They call me Naughty Felid (quite rightly), they call me Naughty Felid (quite rightly), they call me Naughty Felid,
He's so naughty, Naughty Felid!
I'm just mad about 14 year old cats, and they are mad about meee,
I'm just mad about Catdom, n' Catdom's mad about meee,
They call me Naughty Felid, etc.

Back