• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Does Magick Work?

I tried the mirror.....

The neighbour is in jail and the landlady has put an eviction notice through his door!
I won't put a link to the local paper , as it has his real name ect. But he is up on a LOT of charges including with fighting with 6 male n female police and court staff.

This discussion of bagua mirrors has piqued my curiosity. I've been googling to learn more and am coming away with more questions than answers. Maybe the good people here can help.

Surprisingly, some feng shui practitioners on the net strongly advise against the use of bagua mirrors, especially for dealing with unpleasant neighbors. The reasoning seems to be that if the offending neighbor recognizes the mirror for what it is, you have just escalated the situation and made it worse. So, I wonder, does a bagua work only if it is in plain sight? Can it be covered or otherwise concealed? The sites I have visited say that under no circumstances should a bagua be hung inside the home. Could it be hung face to an interior wall directed toward the offending neighbor? Is chi blocked by materials used in construction?

I have noticed that some bagua offered on ebay are shown with the hanging hook attached so that the bagua would be hung upside down. What effect, if any, would this have? Is it just slipshod manufacturing, or is it a mean trick to ensnare white devils who are meddling with forces they don't understand?

Any answers would be much appreciated.

Both times I used one they were outside.
The one at the front was on one of the small windows and I have lots of bushes in the garden so it wouldn't have been noticed from the street' although there was a clear line of sight.
The other was in the back garden at the side and was hung on a bush.
I did wonder at the time if it was the level of frustration that formed a strong wish that made it work.

Here's an idea . . .

If someone could identify the frequency of chi, you could position two flat bagua's parallel and facing each other at a separation tuned to the wavelength of chi. One bagua (the one nearest the intended target) would be half-silvered. Chi entering from the direction of the target is repeatedly re-reflected between the mirrors. Now (here's where it gets a little hand-wavey) position around the space between the mirrors objects that generate the kind of chi you want to send out, to "pump" the chi being reflected to a higher energy level.

Voila! You've created a continuous-wave chi laser!

Last edited:
Just to follow up on an earlier post . . .

On October 22 I hung a convex bagua pointing toward the house of a troublesome neighbor. The situation there was that one of the tenants (whose name is on the lease) had taken in two room-mates and was collecting rent from them. The whole crew is unsavory, and I am pretty sure the living arrangements violate the lease and any number of health and safety regulations.

Anyway, within the last week of so, they have turned on each other, with the leaseholder ordering the other two out, except they're not leaving. The sheriff's deputies have been here three times in the last week, with the situation escalating each time. This afternoon it was a five-way shouting match between the sheriff, the landlord, and the three ne'er-do-wells. Things are developing nicely, I think.

A coincidence? You decide . . .

On October 22 I hung a convex bagua pointing toward the house of a troublesome neighbor. The situation there was that one of the tenants (whose name is on the lease) had taken in two room-mates and was collecting rent from them. The whole crew is unsavory, and I am pretty sure the living arrangements violate the lease and any number of health and safety regulations.

Anyway, within the last week of so, they have turned on each other, with the leaseholder ordering the other two out, except they're not leaving. The sheriff's deputies have been here three times in the last week, with the situation escalating each time. This afternoon it was a five-way shouting match between the sheriff, the landlord, and the three ne'er-do-wells. Things are developing nicely, I think.

It's what I said earlier, that destructive people generally suffer from the consequences of their own actions.

OK, a second (and final, apparently) update . . .

The troublemakers have all moved out and the property is sitting empty. Slightly over three weeks from hanging the bagua to end of problem. I'm frankly skeptical that feng shiu had anything to do with it, but, wow, it's hard to argue with the results. :D

Try it on one of the other houses, see what happens.

Worth a try ! Any old mirror will do . I just taped it on. I'll try put a pic up later of it .
Ah how did I miss this? Still not got round to it. Thought it had to be a certain sort of mirror! Maybe I should... Thinking about it, though, not sure how to angle it so it wouldn't accidentally catch my house as well. And winter, so can't hang in trees opposite their house when they're out as they have their house-front festooned in security cameras (odd how the only criminals in the area have the only house with 6 cameras on it!) Would be impossible for me to do it apart from, from my own front garden. I'll try and figure it. I think the success of the two previous forum attempts have made me realise it might have... potential.

ETA: Imagines half the forum have neighbours who suddenly move out...

Last edited:
Thought it had to be a certain sort of mirror!
I've always subscribed to the thought that it's the intent, not the tools, that matter. As in Terry Pratchett;'s Rite of Ashkente, which can be performed with a mass of ritual objects, or two small bits of wood and 10cc of mouse blood.

You could hang up a large lens instead, focused on a particularly flammable part of their house.

Regarding the mirrors-are there any incantations required? Is it just a case of positioning it facing the subject/ targets(?) abode, and then it just reflects the bad vibes back? Can it be hung on an interior party wall to do its thing?....

I remember reading this thread a month or so back. I did, fleetingly, contemplate making a horrid-neighbours-be-gone mirror.

I didn't.

Yet said neighbours have been gone for approaching four weeks now! :loveu:

Is this a triumph for "Magick" or should my experience be classified as a Control example? :thought:

Does this count as ‘Magic(k)... or a possible exorcism?...
Some years ago when my Daughter was young, about 8, (nearly 25 now) - She started to have trouble with a more malevolent entity that began manifesting in Her bedroom.

She’d had an invisible friend for some time, described as a kind of intelligent light cone that would come up through the floor or ceiling, and would take a great interest in what our Daughter was doing, drawing, reading, making etc, and though they would “talk” it could only tell her it came “from elsewhere” ( I was fascinated by the whole thing and asked Her to ask it for some detail) These visits went on for some time, and all appeared ok, until a darker type of visit stared to happen- She felt a colder, silent presence that would appear at night, a kind of outline of a human shape, that although the room was totally dark, this thing seemed even darker, however She just knew it was staring at Her, and despite Her asking it what it wanted, it would remain silent, sometimes edging closer, until it would literally vanish sometimes with a small ‘click’, just before reaching Her. It was described as somehow struggling to reach Her and She could hear or sense somehow that it was gathering strength on each visit with the aim of “getting to Her”
Understandably it disturbed Her (!) and began to effect Her sleep, this thing generally appeared in the small hours and made getting back to sleep, difficult to say the least...

Now our house is also the one that my Wife grew up in and She had the same bedroom and used to also have visitations as a kid as well- sort of an “advanced” invisible friend, generally a friendly and a comforting presence for my Wife ( She had very good parents, and a happy upbringing), but again sometimes She would get a visit from a grinning human outline, She’d wake up and it would be bending over Her... She seemed to sense it was wearing some sort of patterned shirt ( classic “grinning man” I know) However my Wife has never shown any interest in the paranormal even as a kid, and frankly doesn’t now.

Anyways, I decided to have a go at helping my Daughter, as She was beginning to find the whole thing distressing.
Hands up, I’m an atheist and though fairly well read in religious matters ( I find the whole belief system fascinating, and religions have many great stories too) I thought I’d try and “ clear “ Her room.
So. The Girls were out in town and taking my late Mum in laws well thumbed ( by Her) King James Old and New Testament Bible, and combined with some “Holy Water” I’d made myself - by putting my hand over it blessing it in the name of the Son, The Father, and the Holy Spirit, I entered Her room and proceeded to sprinkle the water around the edges of the room, then Bible in hand stood in the centre, ordering ( in the name of the Son, Father, etc) that this entity, leave this place, leave my Daughter alone, and never return...
Now bear in mind that neither my Wife or Daughter had any idea that I was doing this and I said nothing, either.

...And believe it or not- it actually worked.
The presence/entity or whatever it was, did not reappear- I found out later in passing casual conversation from my Daughter, that whilst the “good” visitor carried on for a while, it too began to fade, saying that my Daughter had grown enough with it, and didn’t need its company as much anymore, and that it would look out for Her in future- if She asked it to.

So. How did I, an unbeliever a person of no religious or obvious spiritual worth or ability- manage such a thing? Was it really a type of “Magic”?

If intent really is the key, then why not?
Or, rather: faith in a particular object or mechanism perhaps isn't necessary. Or you could say that some aspect of calling on things works whether you think those things exist or not. There's a lot of ...potentially opposing ways that could still work even though you personally didn't think it could.

How did I, an unbeliever a person of no religious or obvious spiritual worth or ability- manage such a thing? Was it really a type of “Magic”?
Speaking from experience and something friends and myself experimented with in the 70s....

Yes, rituals do work.

What we came to understand, was the power therein of your unassailable belief that desired changes will occur and they often did.

Predominantly this was down to a resultant confidence and assured conviction, which did not exist beforehand.

How much was simply psychological...?

We concluded that a 'magic' ritual was inextricably connected.

Naturally, one example would be a 'love ritual', in persuit of someone who seemed unobtainable.

'Whereas, previously, you could not overcome that acceptance, suddenly, success was destined, such was the power of a 'magic' ritual, or spell.

Why?

This has always fascinated myself.

:thought:

I think.... it's because you are summoning help from... .'powerful forces documented in antiquity.

Perhaps though, you are calling them up from within yourself?

Bottom line...

Approaching any situation where you wish to succeed and faced with two options:

1. Psyching yourself up to.a maximum belief.

2. Studiously preparing and then exercising a ritual founded on 'magic' (per se).

"Psychologically'...

The former brings faith.

The latter brings certainly.

Why did I personally stop practicing 'magic'?

Never said I had...

:cool:

Last edited:
If intent really is the key, then why not?
Or, rather: faith in a particular object or mechanism perhaps isn't necessary. Or you could say that some aspect of calling on things works whether you think those things exist or not. There's a lot of ...potentially opposing ways that could still work even though you personally didn't think it could.

Being very interested in the power of words/images to influence people and to reshape the world around me, I find chaos magic(k) a really interesting idea. I feel like it might be in the class of things that "work whether or not you believe in them", to misquote Niels Bohr. Even if it's not real magick, whatever that means, it seems like a useful way to crystallise what it is you really want to get out of the world, and focus your mind / intentions / actions on making it happen.

About nine years ago I tried a spot of chaos magic for a laugh and it... worked? Specifically, I put what I wanted into writing and art, and did some sigils for good measure. Within 3-4 months my world had significantly changed, and I had the main things I'd wanted. I later stumbled across Grant Morrison's fantastic talk on the subject (I've linked it to the relevant bit at ~10m37 but the whole thing is worth watching) where he seems to have had similar - if more bonkers - experiences and been equally surprised that it worked.

Last edited:
I have just been reading an old thread about sigil magic. Not something I have much experience with, but I do have a question, if anyone could clarify? I'm quite fascinated by these things.

What is meant by 'charging' the sigil?
I understand this in theory, but there is little actual information about the practical carrying out of this. Apparently one is supposed to avoid concentrating upon the desired outcome, whilst somehow getting it into the deeper subconscious. What are the mental gymnastics involved here?

On another note, relating to this thread in particular, we possibly effected something curious (or magickal?) many years ago, without any specific ritual bells or whistles - just a healthy dollop of polished intent.
We had a dreadful few years with very loud neighbours next door. Eventually the house went up for sale and the noisy people moved on. Whilst the property was on the market (around 5 months of quiet bliss!) we decided, for a laugh, to focus our desired outcome onto the eventual sale. This took the shape of a couple of mins of meditative concentration on the positive outcome we wanted, perhaps a few days per week.
We took into consideration 'the path of least resistance', which informed us that the type of new neighbour we wanted would be almost impossible to manifest (the area had gone downhill and seemed to attract dodgy landlords). Nobody that fit our description of a decent neighbour was going to purchase or rent this house.
With this in mind, we decided to focus on the word 'quiet', visualising a sort of membrane around the property that would not allow anything else through. After a few weeks of these small visualisations we let the intention 'go', releasing it from our minds. We did end up forgetting it after a while and just enjoyed the peace of the empty house.

Eventually the house sold, it seemed to have been purchased by an affluent couple from overseas. This gave us the impression that it was to become another noisy HMO and so hey ho our intentions hadn't come to fruition :(

Except, and this is the odd bit, our intentions DID actually come to fruition, but in a very different way to what we might have expected. Considering what I said about the path of least resistance, it was highly unlikely we'd get decent tenants in there, so what actually materialised was a very quiet, curiously polite and friendly...........cannabis farm.
Not what many people would prefer as a next door neighbour, but they remained there, silent as church mice, for three years, with no disturbance or trouble. So in effect, we got what we 'wanted', just in a way that fit the rhythm of the area, and not quite to our taste.

We eventually moved and all is well. Not sure what became of the 'farm' but we did report it early on in case there were any modern slavery issues attached although the police never showed up or expressed interest. Nor did the modern slavery website.

Not sure if this was the result of magickal intent, but there you go.

Last edited:
OK, a second (and final, apparently) update . . .

The troublemakers have all moved out and the property is sitting empty. Slightly over three weeks from hanging the bagua to end of problem. I'm frankly skeptical that feng shiu had anything to do with it, but, wow, it's hard to argue with the results. :D
Try it on one of the other houses, see what happens.

Good idea. I'm on it . . .

OK, I'm ready to report the results of testing on Subject B. The bagua was positioned pointing at the house of Subject B for a period of 3+ months. No change in behavior was noted. His slovenly boobery continues unabated.

Possible reasons for this negative outcome:
  1. The distance from the bagua to the target was greater than in the first experiment, Perhaps chi obeys an inverse-square law, and a much greater time would be required for observable affects to appear. By a similar reasoning, perhaps chi is a very weak force that is effective only over very short distances.
  2. It is more difficult to dislodge an owner than a renter.
  3. Subject B is such a happy-go-lucky chucklehead that he is impervious to negative chi.
  4. Feng-shui is bollocks.
Clearly, more research is indicated . . .

Last edited:
OK, I'm ready to report the results of testing on Subject B. The bagua was positioned pointing at the house of Subject B for a period of 3+ months. No change in behavior was noted. His slovenly boobery continues unabated.

Possible reasons for this negative outcome:
  1. The distance from the bagua to the target was greater than in the first experiment, Perhaps chi obeys an inverse-square law, and a much greater time would be required for observable affects to appear. By a similar reasoning, perhaps chi is a very weak force that is effective only over very short distances.
  2. It is more difficult to dislodge an owner than a renter.
  3. Subject B is such a happy-go-lucky chucklehead that he is impervious to negative chi.
  4. Feng-shui is bollocks.
Clearly, more research is indicated . . .
I thought you'd got rid of all of them?

It's going to be a real downer, if and when they return

Said neighbours turned up on Monday night, having been away for three full calendar months.

Nice, while it lasted!

So far, they have seemed subdued in their noise levels; have they been socialized, during their vacation?

Time will tell. I am keeping that spell bookmarked, in case of future need! :sneaky2:

Back