• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Doffing One's Hat' As A Funeral Cortege Passes

AMoffatt said:
Several of the men are saluting and others are clearly lowering their heads but the interesting thing is that they have left their hats on whilst the men carrying the coffin have removed theirs and have them strapped over their shoulders

That's because they're on guard duty, or on parade or something and wouldn't be properly dressed without them.

oldrover said:
AMoffatt said:
Several of the men are saluting and others are clearly lowering their heads but the interesting thing is that they have left their hats on whilst the men carrying the coffin have removed theirs and have them strapped over their shoulders

That's because they're on guard duty, or on parade or something and wouldn't be properly dressed without them.

Yes. IIRC, I think it's pretty universal military etiquette for persons in uniform not to remove their headgear at funerals unless they are acting as pall-bearers. Once inside a building (in this case a church or chapel etc) the rules change and headgear should be removed. (I think - the latter protocol may vary from country to country).

Edit: I seem to remember that saluting is thought to represent the older military protocol of lifting of headgear as an act of respect - if this is correct then one of the reasons that soldiers at a funeral parade do not remove their headgear (aside form the practicalities) may be that, in saluting, they have already symbolically speaking, carried out the act.

I seem to remember that saluting is thought to represent the older military protocol of lifting of headgear as an act of respect

While that makes sense I can't help thinking that the concept of it, as well as the idea of a formal standing army, might have been started in Europe by the Romans with their straight arm salute.

oldrover said:
While that makes sense I can't help thinking that the concept of it, as well as the idea of a formal standing army, might have been started in Europe by the Romans with their straight arm salute.

I think the Roman "straight arm salute" as seen in Asterix books is an urban myth, if they did salute they didn't do it like that.

gncxx said:
I think the Roman "straight arm salute" as seen in Asterix books is an urban myth, if they did salute they didn't do it like that.

Straight away I thought that's wrong I can think of lots of examples of Roman art that shows this, then I realised that I was in fact thinking of Asterix and that bloody awful painting by David, which apparently started the whole thing off.

Thanks for pointing that out.

As someone who grew up in a very small town in the 70's and 80's but now lives in New York City, I can say I've seen both extremes of how people can respond to a passing funeral.

Growing up, a funeral procession would basically stop the entire town for a few minutes. The funeral home was on one end of the town, and the cemetery on the other. As they drove through town, cars would all pull over to the side of the road for the procession to pass. Anyone along the streets or in their front yards would would stop what they were doing and stand in a respectful manner (people who had hats would remove them). As a young child, I even remember being scolded and told to hold still if I was being particularly rambunctious.

A solemn attitude was particularly enforced since everyone in town probably knew (or knew of) the deceased in some way or another. I remember that they also left the lights of the funeral home entrance on whenever there was a body resting in state.

In New York, they don't even seem to really try and have funeral processions as there is absolutely no respect for them. People pass and cut in front of the cars, beep their horns, etc. This might just be my small town prejudice, but whenever someone does actually notice the funeral it seems that they have more of a New York, "better you than me" sort of attitude.

I think there is a more traditional and accepting (some might even say fatalistic) attitude towards death amongst small town people. In big cities people like to pretend that death doesn't exist and they will all live forever.

Haven't been back to the old home town in many years, however. I wonder if things have changed much.

My stepfather died about 20 years ago in a mid-sized town in Canada, in southern Ontario. When he died, I went to his funeral. I was really surprised and touched when, as part of the funeral cortege, I saw many people in town (most of whom would not have known my stepfather, as he and my mother had not lived there long) walk to the kerb, remove their hats, fold their hands and bow their heads as the limos passed by. I saw one man who was painting his house descend the ladder he was on, put his paint gear away and walk to the kerb. It was really strange to see so many people doing this. I thought is was one of the sweetest things I'd ever seen.

When someone dies you can feel as if the rest of the world is just going on about their business and that you are in your own little grey bubble, but this behaviour made me think that we were all part of one community. I know if made my mum feel better.

The section on Men and Hats in my copy of Debrett's New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners says
Hats should always be removed in the presence of royalty and the dead (for instance, when a funeral cortege passes)
I did so once when I came across a funeral cortege of a stranger. The undertaker walking in front of the hearse noticed and mouthed "thank you". Just seemed the correct thing to do to be honest.

The section on Men and Hats in my copy of Debrett's New Guide to Etiquette and Modern Manners says

I did so once when I came across a funeral cortege of a stranger. The undertaker walking in front of the hearse noticed and mouthed "thank you". Just seemed the correct thing to do to be honest.
I often stop in respect for a funeral cortege, but rarely if ever wear a hat.

Dunno if I've mentioned this elsewhere on'ere but a while ago I was on my bike waiting at a pedestrian/cyclist crossing when a limo followed by a motorbike and side-hearse approached. A parade of motorbikes came after.

Awww, bless. Some biker being carried to his rest. :)

I stepped back and waved it all through and the undertaker smiled and waved.

At my Father's funeral last year, the Funeral Director walked in front of the hearse, stopping traffic as we went through town. Once we were clear of traffic, he got in the hearse and we sped up. An old boy we passed took off his cap and others bowed their heads. One road worker stopped working, placed his hands together solemly on the handle of his shovel and bowed his head.

At my Father's funeral last year, the Funeral Director walked in front of the hearse, stopping traffic as we went through town. Once we were clear of traffic, he got in the hearse and we sped up. An old boy we passed took off his cap and others bowed their heads. One road worker stopped working, placed his hands together solemly on the handle of his shovel and bowed his head.

did it help you at all?

I stop and bow my head in prayer for funerals of any variety. Except ones where people are carrying balloons and waving, when I wave back and applaud while nodding. The prayer happens later.

I worry that my well meant paying of respects will irritate.

did it help you at all?

I stop and bow my head in prayer for funerals of any variety. Except ones where people are carrying balloons and waving, when I wave back and applaud while nodding. The prayer happens later.

I worry that my well meant paying of respects will irritate.
It did actually help a little. As we were driving along, the car was filled with sadness but the world outisde was going on as usual. No-one out there cared that my Father had died, the world was still turning. So when I saw someone bowing their head, it felt nice that someone acknowledged his passing.

In an episode of Minder, George Cole's character Arthur Daley doffs his hat when a hearse passes by.

I’ve been watching a lot of the old Minder series Vic. I wait until everyone’s gone to bed, grab a glass of wine then watch a couple of episodes on the spin - ITV hub.

Yes Daley also doffs his cap to the ladies and the clergy. It’s been years since I’ve seen those episodes, so thank you ITV4. The way I remembered Minder as a kid, was Terry finishing every episode by having a punch up in an abandoned cardboard box factory :D .

Anyway back on topic.

My son must have only been about three at the time, and one day I took him over the park for a kick-a-bout with a football. It was hot and sunny, so Mrs DT put a baseball cap on him. (Orient of course) Walking to the park, a hearse pulled out of a side street, so I told my son to stand very still until the hearse had passed. Out of the blue he took his cap off. I never told him to and can’t remember ever telling him at any stage of his life, that was the right thing to do….but he did it.

Dunno where he got it from. TV maybe..?

l was reading my Force Standing Orders one day (bored catatonic, no doubt), and read, to my surprise, that officers on duty in uniform were allowed (expected?) to salute funeral corteges.

Not long after this, l was out on the beat and saw one approaching, so l came smartly to Attention and “slung ‘em one up”.

lt transpired that it was the funeral of one of our local druggies, who’d killed himself with a hot shot to universal acclaim among my colleagues and l.

l’d have saluted anyway, even had l known, but l couldn’t help wondering if the mourners thought l was extracting the proverbial. (l wasn’t.)

l always saluted funeral processions thereafter, anyway.

maximus otter

l was reading my Force Standing Orders one day (bored catatonic, no doubt), and read, to my surprise, that officers on duty in uniform were allowed (expected?) to salute funeral corteges.

Not long after this, l was out on the beat and saw one approaching, so l came smartly to Attention and “slung ‘em one up”.

lt transpired that it was the funeral of one of our local druggies, who’d killed himself with a hot shot to universal acclaim among my colleagues and l.

l’d have saluted anyway, even had l known, but l couldn’t help wondering if the mourners thought l was extracting the proverbial. (l wasn’t.)

l always saluted funeral processions thereafter, anyway.

maximus otter
I'd visited someone local's flat a few years ago but he'd started acting aggressive to both me and his girlfriend so I left. I found out later the next day that a few hours after I'd left, he'd hung himself in his building. I knew his Dad so told him I'd also been there just in case the police might want to talk to me or anything but they didn't.

I was invited to the funeral but by then had found out this bloke had been part of the drug scene so I didn't go, not to judge so much as I didn't want to associate with his friends. The funeral cars went past me as I was walking through down so I took my hat off, stopped and nodded once to his Dad.

Earlier this year, I was coming home from the local shops and saw a DPD van waiting to exit my street, impatiently inching forward and revving his engine.

A hearse came along with a small gap between it and the rest of the cortege, and the courier immediately pulled out and tucked in behind the hearse.

"He hasn't realised its a funeral, " thought I. "When he realises, he'll pull in and let the rest of the cars go past."
I watched the cortege travel along the long and straight main road and the courier stayed in the middle of the cortege for the 1/4 of a mile that I could see along the road, driving impatiently close to the hearse.

Showing a little respect to those who have passed is surely worth falling 30 seconds behind schedule in delivering online orders.

Recently I read about a funeral procession winding its way through a small town - the hearse and the following car with the widow had to slow at the hump-backed bridge over the canal. She looked down and saw all the anglers on the towpath standing with their heads bowed and fishing hats off in respect to the former fishing mate. She was absolutely delighted.

She looked down and saw all the anglers on the towpath standing with their heads bowed and fishing hats off in respect to the former fishing mate. She was absolutely delighted.

He'd been a good father to them.

maximus otter

Recently I read about a funeral procession winding its way through a small town - the hearse and the following car with the widow had to slow at the hump-backed bridge over the canal. She looked down and saw all the anglers on the towpath standing with their heads bowed and fishing hats off in respect to the former fishing mate. She was absolutely delighted.
Reminds me of Compo's funeral!

Showing a little respect to those who have passed is surely worth falling 30 seconds behind schedule in delivering online orders.
Problem is that that delivery driver probably has excreable working conditions, it's a gig economy job and his bosses have absolutely no sympathy for why he might be late and can sack him at any moment. Not much humanity there, unfortunately.

At my mum’s funeral back in 1992, someone inconsiderate bell-end tried to squeeze past the hearse as the coffin was being removed outside the church. They misjudged the gap and ran into the back of the hearse.

I had to be restrained and taken into the church. God know what I’d have done if I’d got hold of the driver.

I drove past a house the other day where there was a hearse with a coffin in parked outside, and lots of people standing around in black. I had a vague memory that cars slow down to show respect as they drive past, so I did so, feeling sorry for the family and sending good vibes their way. It was only after I thought they may have just thought I was being a busybody and slowing down to be nosy. I hope they didn't think that.

Back