• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dog-Headed Men (Cynocephali)

It's the only TV progamme I've ever seen that's mentioned DHM.

escargot1 said:
Millomite, it's be better to watch the DHM on a proper-sized TV than on t'interweb. I'd be in the queue for a copy of the DVD. :D

Seems that the DHM were called 'Dogheads' in the Middle Ages and did everything that normal people did, except with animals' heads. A bit like Disney. :lol:

I'm pleased that they were called 'dogheaded men' in the programme trailer. Was that because it's a more explanatory term, or have the writers been reading on here? ;)

Just message me with your address and I'll send it on when I get some blank DVDs - I live out in the sticks so will have to travel to the "big city" to get some.

I think I've been near your house, when I had a job that involved visiting a big 'ouse. ;)

And thank you very much! :D

Finally, I can add something to the classic Dogheaded Men thread! I just came across this little report from Australia;

14 Dec 1971 Waikerie SA 2300hrs Yates/Schiller
Two young men saw an animate object of humanoid appearance floating through trees in a sort of mist, only some twenty metres away. It had a dog-like head, pointed ears and a long nose. It was some two meters tall with a lumpy body. The men moved to another point where they saw a large object, the size of a truck, resting on the ground. It was shaped like a half sphere and had windows. The object just dissolved away.

from http://www.project1947.com/kbcat/kbent0505.htm

A great page of Aussie humanoid encounters if you're in to that kind of thing.

Bobok

The thing is though, even if the medieval peple WERE frightened of the DHM "over there", who told them about them to start with?

Say! Several times on this thread I and others have mentioned a DHM sighting that seems to have disappeared. One concerning (I think) a couple of girls who saw a DHM wandering through a city park with a normal-type human male. Later the human half of the pair was buttonholed and claimed to know nothing about the dog-headed fellow; he had been following it trying to figure out what it was.

With this delving into archived web-pages for old IHTMs, maybe someone can fish up this missing DHM!

I'm sad to say that I actually managed to find that on the web but I never bothered to post it, and now I don't remember how I even managed to find it.

It was part of a fictional story, iirc. Took place in Russia I think. Must have been about a year ago that I read it.

I hope if I post the following short but anecdotal (the kind we like so much) story from back in 2002, it will make up for past laziness on my part:

marionXXX said:
My son and his father swear they saw a man with a dog's head driving a car down the high street a few years ago , they said if it was a mask it was very realistic .

I have a Werewolf doll from the second Narnia movie that I have meant to photograph in order to show it to you. I think it looks remarcably as the descriptions of the Michigan Dogman and the Bray Road Beast. I am pretty sure most of you have seen the movie and all, but perhaps you haven't seen the doll since it was available for those children packages at Burger King. Anyway, on a side note, my daughter loves it and calls it "little dog" and sometimes sleeps with it on her arms. Maybe that means she's a future Fortean, or that she doesn't mind ugly, hairy animals around her. I just hope she doen't marry an ugly, hairy man. ;)

Don't know if it has already been posted, I had found that in Jerome Clarke's The UFO book (p.95-96) :

Derry, New Hampshire, December 15, 1956 : While gathering Christmas greens late one morning, a man turned and saw a two-foot-tall green dwarf standing next to him. The entity had a high forehead, floppy ears, and a face "like a bloodhound" except for its lidless reptilian eyes. The skin hung in folds on the naked body. After watching the witness for a few minutes, the being "started for me with a kind of screeching sound, and I left there", the man reported.

Nice find! Sounds more dog than man, though, is there a green cartoon dog that it might have taken its inspiration from? A bit Hanna Barbera?

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...

The Dogheaded Golfer!

I've added one of Techy's golf balls for scale.
Bought this from a table top sale on Sunday, 50p. It's made of painted resin.

Dogheaded golfer! Dogheaded Golfer! :lol:

My daughter visited England some years ago on her honeymoon and brought her grandmother a dog headed guardsman. Maybe there's a series of them?

Yes, that is highly likely, and almost as tasteful. :lol:

May we see a photo? :D

I'm not sure what happened to it after my mother in law died. If it was returned to my daughter I'll take a photo the next time I go up to see her.

evilsprout said:
OK, am I going mad or was there a second dog-headed man report posted here about the critters stalking the meanstreets of Manchester, or did I dream it? And can anyone remember who the author was of the missing message?
I think I finally found it! It was in 2001 on the first page of this thread and it all came back to me as I read it today with the assistance of wayback machine: http://replay.web.archive.org/200110162 ... readid=233

Here's the original post but there are also replies that follow it that had also disappeared:
reading the story on the dog headed men reminds me of a similar thing that happened to me as a child ( aged about 10 ) it reads as follows. i used to live in a place called ashton ( east manchester ) and behind my house there were two large factories and whilst playing down there one summer morning my freind ( same age ) told me to look at two figures walking towards us sillueted by the sun, we thought it was our parents coming to tell us off for playing where we shouldn't but when they got close one of the figures appeared to have a dog's head we froze still. it was obvious it was a real dogs head by it's movment, detail etc the other figure was human, we both ran home and told our parents they did not beleive us but they new we were obviously spooked, so they called the police and a few hours later they caught up with a man who we identified as the man with the dog headed man. he told the police exactly what we saw was true and he claimed to have met the dogman on the banks of the canal and was following him to see if he was real, he claims he lost him. both the police and my parents did not believe any story but to this day nobody has believed me but to here of a similar story is amazing has anyone else had a similar expeiriance.
(I've had way too much time on my hands lately.)

I was going to make a monumental last effort to find that, but I get side-tracked by shiny things . . . I knew it had to be early on, as the first DHM story (posted by a "Carla Randle") appeared in August 2001, and evilsprout mentioned the Manchester sighting in October 2001.

Also, the Wayback Machine doesn't seem to like me . . .

This one little bit might change my whole plans for the month. I always wanted to cut and save/collect/archive my favorite stories from the Internet, but if I did that, favorites from the FTMB would come first . . . and Dog-Headed Men would probably be the first-among-equals here . . . but it would never have felt "whole" without the Manchester story. So I never embarked on that project. But now, it all cascades down.

Wonder why it was removed in the first place? Were there enough clues there for people to figure out who the poster was? Did they start pointing and laughing at him/her in the street?

I recently acquired a Scooby Doo suit, which has already been trotted out for a coiple of kids' parties. It has a large head which sits on top of the wearer's head, making them nearly a foot taller.

How tempted I am to wear it under a big overcoat for a twilight stroll through the park... ;)

escargot1 said:
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you...

The Dogheaded Golfer!

I've added one of Techy's golf balls for scale.
Bought this from a table top sale on Sunday, 50p. It's made of painted resin.

Dogheaded golfer! Dogheaded Golfer! :lol:

Genius. It's a golfer....WITH A DOGS HEAD! Actually I wonder if the obsession of portraying dogs, standing in an upright pose and performing human type activities originates from the infamous Coolidge paintings. Tbh, as a dog owner myself I sadly just love anything amusing to do with dogs!

Just read through all 26 pages of this fascinating (and slightly terrifying) thread, and was preparing to pipe in with that Sesame Street thing but was beaten to it at the post...

But those Sesame Street bits scared me and my brother to pieces when we were younger. Who knows how I'd react if I were to encounter one of those in real life?

Finally made it through ALL 26 pages. Wow. This is one epic thread.

I'm sure I read through it about 4-5 years back, but had to reacquaint myself. Such a lot of work here.

I do recall on my last trip through, though (And I may be imagining this) of a DHM reported being seen by a couple while at a drive in movie theatre. Not come across that while reviewing.

Maybe I've imagined that one.

Great work on merging this one, guys!

Dog-headed man seen on bus in Cornwall!

Dog_head_man.jpg

Compared to the people, the DHM is slightly out of focus, reflecting his other-wordly status...

...or perhaps it's just a dog. ;)

I guess if meerkats can advertise insurance...dog headed men can...DON'T LOOK IN THE EYES !!

346x64w.jpg

I look forward to other Fortean product endorsements.

Bigfoot doing hair products, UFO's doing batteries and ghosts doing stain removers !!

Back