• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dog-Headed Men (Cynocephali)

Aargh. I looked. I LOOKED IN THE EYES! :shock:

There seem to be a lot of DHM about. I wonder if they're the Next Big Thing?

escargot1 said:
There seem to be a lot of DHM about. I wonder if they're the Next Big Thing?

Maybe they're what evolves from domestic pets after humans eventually die out?

Moooksta said:
I look forward to other Fortean product endorsements.

Bigfoot doing hair products, UFO's doing batteries and ghosts doing stain removers !!
Well Argos does have it's family of aliens.

Monstrosa said:
Moooksta said:
I look forward to other Fortean product endorsements.

Bigfoot doing hair products, UFO's doing batteries and ghosts doing stain removers !!

Well Argos does have it's family of aliens.

Good point.

Does seem a strange "creative" decision though.

Client - "We need to advertise our insurance company in poster format."
Creative - "Dog headed men, they're the next big thing!"

:?

I'm watching Inside The Medieval Mind on BBC4, which has already mentioned the Dogheaded Men/'Dogheads' several times. I think this has been on before, a while ago. Great fun.

I just watched that : interesting that the Dogheads myth had crossed European/Asian cultural boundaries , that when the European explorers reached Asia people knew what they were on about but thought they lived in Europe.

I've recently been listening to lots of episodes of an Old Time Radio drama called Suspense, which occasionally crossed over into Sci-Fi/Horror territory with rather mixed results. Anyhow, imagine my delight when I came across this pulpish 1961 episode revolving around lost South American cities and dog-headed aliens from the moon:

Suspense: The Black Door

nmQ1D.jpg

This was on Etsy. Think it's a painting. Not necessarily from life.

ah yes - you commission a leading artist to paint your loved one, look forward eagerly to the day of the unvieling. All the family gathers round, the sheet is pulled away from the easel and ...
"WTF?????"

Heh, that was probably the first sighting! :shock:

The one I posted was at Ann Arbor a couple of days ago.

By now he's probably outside YOUR HOUSE... :twisted:

If I dressed like that, I'd probably wear a dog mask, too!

I swear this same guy was in New Orleans. I recognize the pink socks. And the, uh, snug shorts.

I better call home and have them lock the door.

I had a dream about dogheaded men last night - they had taken over the world and kept humans in a state of slavery through drugs. I had just been to watch the Dark Knight Rises which I expect explains some of the imagery in my dream, but there aren't any dogheaded men in the film - and I haven't actually read this thread either (one of the few in IHTM I haven't!)

Cochise said:
I had a dream about dogheaded men last night - they had taken over the world and kept humans in a state of slavery through drugs.
I had a similar dream a year or so ago. Only in mine the dog-headed men were guards for some superior hostile race after the apocalypse. They were quite Egyptian in appearance, Anubis-like, very tall and upright, with blue/grey fur covering their bodies.

That avatar, is that from one of the paintings that we have further up this thread?

I'm not sure! That painting must have passed me by, but I shall go check. My avatar is from a picture by J.J. Grandville, a French artist from the 1800s. He did some very strange anthropomorphic work that pleases me greatly! Crow morticians, fighting cocks...

lone_concertina said:
I had a similar dream a year or so ago. Only in mine the dog-headed men were guards for some superior hostile race after the apocalypse. They were quite Egyptian in appearance, Anubis-like, very tall and upright, with blue/grey fur covering their bodies.

Such aliens are a key plot device of the original Stargate film

Here's a model (not a still from the film) of one of the little blighters:

je0hs4ul.jpg

Yes, I remember the film, special_farces. My dog-headed men were a little more feral, but certainly similar (like Anubis, as I said). No regalia though. I certainly hadn't been watching the film or series before my dream!

Top notch! And a nice touch was that this was the banner ad when I visited the site:

uk_dog_728x90_27kb_nl.jpg

For some reason the laughing mannequin... made me laugh out loud :shock:

Sadly, has reminded me of many pointless hours thumbing through stock photo books and CDs at a previous job.

Back