• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dog-Headed Men (Cynocephali)

UserName said:
Bah sad to see the thread fizzle out, it really captured my imagination with the tales of encounters.

Let me revive it a bit!

Xanatic said:
Yeah, I also found this one quite interesting. I do wonder what those giant lemurs would have looked like if you saw them walk past. Probably like the werewolfes in movies.

My brother did demonstrate the walk to me. Nothing like werewolf I assure you. It was very rapid, smooth & stiff legged, like a man walking on stilts.

This brother is famous :hmph: in the family for encounters of the supernatural kind. He used to travel a bit on his job and among his more memorable: the ghostly nun or nurse in a 16th century Dutch building, the ghostly footsteps of a suicide in a government rest house, and a hair pulling entity in a seaside bungalow....
But! There were no more dogheaded men! :rolleyes:

My brother did demonstrate the walk to me. Nothing like werewolf I assure you. It was very rapid, smooth & stiff legged, like a man walking on stilts.

Hmm the rapid & stiff legs can't help but put a vision into my head of Basil Fawlty doing his "Don't mention the war" type walk ;)

Seriously though, did your bro elude to the build of the upper torso?

UserName said:
Seriously though, did your bro elude to the build of the upper torso?

Well no. After the doghead, the dark patterned shirt was the most striking thing.

You might like to know what happened when the house was completed and the owners moved in. The first week we the neighbours were disturbed nightly at about 11 p.m.by their black labrador dog howling, to be followed at about 1 a.m. by their toddler son's terrified screams! Of course we couldnt go up knock on their front door and ask if anybody seen a dogheaded figure...Well, next thing we noticed was the priest from the local parish conducting a house blessing ceremony or was it an exorcism? Not being Catholic I cant tell, but I recognised the priest - old Dutch guy with long flowing beard.

After that all was quiet but the owners moved out a short while later. The house was vacant for long periods, not because of any haunting I suppose. More likely the high rental and/or fussy owners! The few tenants only stayed a year or two.

The owners later moved back and I assumed they are living there still - I havent been back to my old neighbourhood for some 8 years now.

Dog-Headed people? Anyone seen the Squarepusher video?

LOL :)

Thanks for the reply mynah, it does seem a little odd for the things you describe to the house in relation to occupancy. Who knows eh! The priest thing is a touch confusing though

A good friend of mine has a story that fits right in here. Here are her words:
=====================
The story is this:
In 1984 I was at computer camp at the University of
Maine at Machias.
A bunch of girls including myself were sitting in one
of our second floor rooms. It was sometime in the
afternoon, with clear visibility. All of a sudden one
of the girls freaked out saying that she saw an ape in
the woods, another girl claimed to see it just before
it disappeared. I didn't, I just happened to be
there.
A couple of days later, I was sitting in the lounge,
when three of the boys came running in, seemingly
panicked. Dave, one of my childhood best friends who
wasn't prone to making things up, was the most
disturbed, and immediately shut and locked all the
windows despite it being a hot summer night.
Eventually, we got them to tell us what had happened. Apparently, they were outside the dorm, (it was after dark, and they weren't supposed to be out there) having sneaked out a window, when Dave flipped out, grabbed the other two boys one after the other and threw them back in the window. (Dave wasn't a particularly strong kid). The story elaborates that the first kid was flung in the window and landed fine, the second kid landed in a collision with an ironing board "like the Greatest American Hero" and Dave came leaping in the window after them, landing "like Superman". Then Dave quickly shut and locked the window, at which point we're back at the beginning, with them racing into the lounge. According to Dave, they were outsside when he suddenly saw a big, hairy, man-like thing with the head of a dog and glowing eyes. He claims it was at least nine feet tall. (Dave has always been kind of tall, so even at age 12 if he thought something was tall, it probably was). That's when he freaked out and hucked everyone in the window. I never saw the thing myself, but I was the one to connect the two stories as similar.

Man, there seem to be so many reports of dog headed creatures I can't believe I never heard about them before!

One more thought. This might seem kind of ridiculous, but, wherewolves?

Once when I was five years old I saw a giant rat about the size of a 12 year old child. It stood on its hind legs and was dressed in a little red riding hood cape and carried a basket. It was sniffing the air.

I was in the backseat of the family car which was stopped at the light. I remarked to my mother, "Look at the giant rat!" She turned around and told me "hush, that's a little girl!" I remember being absolutely perplexed because I could see with my own two eyes that it was a giant brown rat.

My mother remembers this episode and swears that it was a little girl and not a rat. But it WAS a rat.

OMG, Breakfast has an Edward Gorey icon! :)

Sorry, that really has nothing to do with anything, but I just noticed it and Edward Gorey rules. I can't even figure out how to get any picture.

Pshaw - Did your mother recognize the little girl? I mean, was the girl supposed to be there, or was your mother just as perplexed to see a little girl as you were to see a rat?

The rat/girl was standing at a bus stop. My mother didn't recognize her but said the child was very homely and she was embarrassed that I might have been overheard calling her a rat.

But I swear it was a big brown furred rat wearing only a red riding hood-like cowled cape and it held a small wicker basket in front of it with both of its dainty paws. It had a long tail and whiskers and had its head slightly lifted, sniffing the air. I was utterly amazed at the sight.

mynah said:
Here is a scan of my brother's drawing, Mr. P! I hope you can make out what kind of dog's head! My brother thinks it was like a german shepherd dog.

This isnt the original drawing. I got him to redraw. His scribbled notes didnt show up well on the scan though.

He said I made a mistake in my original posting. Actually, the creature was coming in from the kitchen towards the staircase. The backdoor had not been installed, and it came in from the forest at the back of the site into the half completed house. He thinks this type of dogheaded creature is related to fairies, goblins, nature spirits and the like. He didnt notice any eyes, mouth, hands or feet. In situations like this, the brain for a moment or two refuses to process what the eyes see!

And BTW it moved rapidly into the room with a stiff gait, like a man walking on tiptoe.

Warning on the pic - dont look if you are alone and it's now the middle of the night - just right click and save for tomorrow :D

Does anyone have this pic saved in another format, like gif or jpeg? My computer is rearing and tossing its head at this. :(

Leaferne said:
Does anyone have this pic saved in another format, like gif or jpeg? My computer is rearing and tossing its head at this. :(

I tried to upload it as a JPEG for you, but there was some sort of terrible malfunction.

I have a copy on my machine but there seems to be a bar on posting attachments at the moment I will try again later.

Mr P

I should maybe wait til I get home from work to post this, but I'm sure that in "Alien Animals" by Janet and Colin Bord, there was mention of someone seeing a bipedal fox in a top hat... I'll look later and give the reference.

I think more creepy than dog-headed men is men-headed dogs . . . that would drive me crazy on the spot . . . wasn't there a mythical beast that was a man-headed dog?

Manticore or something?

-Fitz

These are getting progressively worse, aren't they?

Good gravy! That's horrid. Still doesn't beat the one with the Morningstar tail, though. That would come in handy.

-Fitz

there was a man-headed dog in <mars attacks!>. or has my memory gone kaputt?

ginoide said:
there was a man-headed dog in <mars attacks!>. or has my memory gone kaputt?

There is a woman headed dog - but that was sown on. Also there is a man headed dog in the 1970s version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

But I swear it was a big brown furred rat wearing only a red riding hood-like cowled cape and it held a small wicker basket in front of it with both of its dainty paws. It had a long tail and whiskers and had its head slightly lifted, sniffing the air. I was utterly amazed at the sight.

A girl dressed as the wolf dressed as Little Red Riding Hood?

Oh wait, it dressed as her grandmother, nevermind.

Or maybe she was just really ugly :D

Great thread, btw. Just read it straight through from the first page... I'll be up all night, I just know it.

I have asked my brother to draw 'his' DHM and as he's keen, and incidentally quite artistic, I'll have some scary uploading to do in the week.

Fitz said:
I think more creepy than dog-headed men is men-headed dogs . . . that would drive me crazy on the spot . . . wasn't there a mythical beast that was a man-headed dog?

Manticore or something?

-Fitz

You know, I was just driving to the office and was about to run over one of the ugliest dogs I have ever seen. For some reason my mind wandered after that and I started thinking about the survival oportunities for a dog with such severe maxilo facial deformities that it could look like it had a human face. Certainly not a stray in the city, but how about in the woods? And now I see this images of the manticore popping up here. It makes me wonder if it doens't belong to a deform animal.

escargot said:
I have asked my brother to draw 'his' DHM and as he's keen, and incidentally quite artistic, I'll have some scary uploading to do in the week.

Looking forward to seeing the results Escargot

Back