• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Dog-Headed Men (Cynocephali)

Last post I promise: Da Funk, that's what it was.

Conversely, Basement Jaxx's "Where's Your Head At" features mad, human-faced monkeys and an insane scientist terrorising an A&R man in a laboratory, while stomping out a good tune. As you do.

I had to do a double take the other day. As I was walking away from a cash dispenser I heard a car engine rev up and saw a basset hound at the driving wheel of a parked car, with a paw at each side of the wheel. It appeared to be looking in the wing mirror prior to driving off.:eek:
Turned out to be the car behind that pulled away. It gave me quite a turn. I've obviously been reading too many dog-headed men threads. :D

Susan Bulmer said:
I've obviously been reading too many dog-headed men threads. :D
Tell me where they are, I'll merge 'em! :p

My dog gets car sick and has to sit on my shoulders when we take her anywhere. I'm just waiting for the first report of a sighting around here.

Your dog's more than car-sick.. Sounds to me like he's suffering an identity crisis..

*Swawk* Pieces of eight *Squawk*

Dog headed men

I was wondering if anyone has had an experience with dog headed men (no puns please). Can anyone recommend a book on the subject? I'm fascinated by this odd apparition. Thanks for your time

Rick

Bump! Smudge's query moved to the relevent thread.

(Thanks to Marion.)

Synchronicity

:eek:

I've been sitting here enjoying the (relative) quiet and reading this thread when I was startled by an explosive yelping from outside the window.

A passing Basset hound and Yorkshire terrier chose that moment to begin a pavement tussle!

How's that for synchronicity? Almost spat out my muesli...

Dogheaded men (cynocephali), turn up quite a bit in medieval literature, Mostly travellers tales of Monstrous races in distant lands and that kind of thing, Marco polo claimed to have come across a whole island of em! But the medieval mind loved coming up with weird mixes of human and beast and you can find humans sporting goat, bird and fish? Heads. There is a strange religious side to it as well, St Christopher used to be known to the Greeks as Cynphoros (Dogfaced) or Cynocephalos (literally Dogheaded) and there are icons painted of him that take this literally and actually show him with a canine head! Early writings on St Christopher add to this and the early Passion Cycles (Lives of) say that..

This Christopher was one of the Dogheads, a race that had the heads of dogs and ate human flesh.

A Translation from the Irish Passion of St Christopher (from two early 15th Century manuscripts) can be found here.

http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/chrsirish.html

and an example of a Dogheaded Icon can be found at

http://www.yalchicago.org/Unusual_Icons.html

From ages ago when I first read this thread the whole subject really got to me, not much generally phases me, but this (oh and the Stickmen thing on another thread) really left me cold. Don’t know why though? Myself I’m partly owned by a Boxer dog called Mutley who is possibly the daftest thing ever to breathe oxygen, so dogs definitely don’t bother me.
Must be cos it just seems so weird but easy to picture at the same time, god knows what I would do if I actually saw one!!!

:eek!!!!: :nooo:

Dog-headed men

A bit off-thread, but have people seen that strange ad for Levis with the mouse-headed people holding a cat to ransom?

Some nice CGI, well I hope it's CGI.

Yes, the mouseheads are freaky. Is Mars Attacks! the film where the aliens swap Pierce Brosnan's head with a chihuahua's? Perhaps it's aliens, at it again. Or attempts at shape-shifting spells that don't quite work. Maybe it's a condition like lycanthropy, and these critters aren't dog-headed all the month round?

Someone mentioned a book called The Beast Within ages ago, it's by Adam Douglas - it's mostly about more conventional werewolves, but it's got some interesting dog-heads and loads about the Cynocephali, and a special bonus pic of a wolf-headed man on the cover.

Slytherin said:
I think most ten year olds in the North of England would see something canine, and be far more inclined to think "dog" than "jackal".
Although it does beg the question, exactly what was an Egyptian God doing so far from his native stamping ground? Package holiday? This thread is fascinating stuff.

ot i know

but there is a river isis in london so the cult of anubis could have been brought over by eygptians in the roman army

dogheaded men

Come to think of it, it would be worse to see a man headed dog. Like the one in "invasion of the body snatchers". I could never get that image out of my head once I saw it. Creepy.

Re: dogheaded men

eccentric said:
Come to think of it, it would be worse to see a man headed dog. Like the one in "invasion of the body snatchers". I could never get that image out of my head once I saw it. Creepy.

There was something like that in Mars Attacks, as well.

[edit] Aaah - trust me not to read the whole thread. I see somebody already mentioned this.

Re: dogheaded men

eccentric said:
Something similiar in Lindsay Anderson's, 1972, follow up to 'If', O LuckyMan!.

The anti-hero, Michael Travis, played by Malcom McDowell, whips back the sheet from a guy on a hospital style bed, in a secret British research establishment, to reveal that from the neck down he has the body of a pig! :eek!!!!:

Good old British satire, eh? No wonder we're all so cynical and World weary. :)

See it really does happen!

Dog hit by car turned out to be man in costume

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_757293.html?menu=news.quirkies.unlucky

A German woman who thought she'd run over a large Dalmatian was shocked to discover it was a man in a costume.

Police in Nuremberg say it happened when the woman was driving through the city after Carnival Monday, the peak of the German carnival season.

The 32-year-old told police she had hit a large white creature with black dots on which was thrown onto the bonnet of the car and hit the windscreen.

It was only when she got out of the car that she saw that the dog was in fact a carnival-goer who had been cycling home in his costume.

Police say the man had cycled through a red light to cross a junction. He turned out to have a high level of alcohol in his blood and needed medical treatment for a number of small injuries.

A cycling drunken carnival-going red light-jumping dog suit-wearing RTA victim.

You don't see THAT every day!

^ that's really quite an unsettling image. I don't think it's a mask ;)

escargot, are you a stealth b3tan? I made that picture! I've been lurking here for a while now and this made me finally get around to posting.
I'm not complaining, it's really cool to see my stuff get spread around. Yay! 8)

Hahahaha, yes wayward, 3 woos and a yay for b3ta!

All credit to wayward, creator of the dogheaded kid!

Most of the madder stuff on the net recently seems to come from b3ta. Wastes plenty of my time anyway!

I could pass this post without saying..
typhoo-wyh.gif

;D
Still unfinished, but it'll be months before I actually get around to completing it so you may as well see it now ;)

I meant of course..

I couldn't pass that post without saying..
lol, it's worrying when it takes that long to spot a typo :D

Sorry for being off topic, this is one of my favourite threads :) Any more sightings anyone?

Hi Folks,

a friend of mine claimed to have been paced by one along Kings Norton Green park in Birmingham a number of years ago. He said he thought it was a man in fancy dress at first but realised the motion was too fluid to be someone with a dogs mask on. He also saw breath coming from the end of its snout. He said it was late at night, the creature was very tall, approx 7 to 8 feet tall. Mark (my friend) said it never looked at him or approched him but kept a straight parallel course and when he ran the creature ran too but again on a parallel course level with my friend. It really freaked him and to my knowledge I'm the only person he ever told (he knew I was into weird experiences!). I never walked accross the park at night after that and have often wondered what it might be or mean. Of course one can never rule out drugs or alchohol but he was a pretty straight guy and not one for tall (geddit?) stories.

Rich

Whooooooooooo Smudge, scary!

I like how these DHM appear in urban settings and seem to try to mingle with the humans. It's as if they don't realise how scary they look.

[/QUOTE] I like how these DHM appear in urban settings and seem to try to mingle with the humans. It's as if they don't realise how scary they look.

Oh well mans best friend and all that kind of thing..

:D

Yup, we've had lots of jokes about dog-faced girlfriends and dogbreathed boyfriends too................ :D

I bought an art book last week (big weakness of mine) about a French artist who illustrated imaginary dog and other animal headed people, and sometimes entire animals dressed in the fashions of the time.

When I can find it I will look for some links- can't even remember the blasted name at the moment!

Here's a link to a photo I took in southern Guatemala of one of the wierdest Mesoamerican sculptures I've ever come across (and I've seen a lot). I'm not sure if it's a dog-man or some other kind of animal. The culture which produced the sculpture is poorly researched, but it is thought to be from the Nahuatl-speaking Pipil culture, of the Mesoamerican Classic Period (approx 300 - 900 AD):

http://community.webshots.com/photo/15406231/15414434utKxbGZXAh

Back